Code of Conduct
o
    Banned

Default How's the New LIDGE?

The one that's available for $45 and comes in a clear bottle instead of the the bottle with the thick black bottom, not the EDT, but the EDP in the new clear bottle...

Now that nobody cares about it, is the newest version any good? Different than LIDGE during its peak of popularity?

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: How's the New LIDGE?

I only remember reading checker's impression back in September in this thread: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/411751-New-Lidge-2014

Haven't tried the new one yet and am curious as to what some others say too. Probably don't see myself buying it though as I have the original.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

I was just watching someone's 2015 winter 10 ten list on Youtube last week on this very topic. They were very adamant that there was a big difference between the "vintage" with the dark glass sides and the newer all clear EDP.

Not that there aren't reformations going on all the time....but who knows, as I think it's about a 50/50 chance of there being a significant difference or just in some peoples heads. My 2014 bottle of CH Men is a prime example....it's PLENTY strong and long lasting.
    Eph 2:8: For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith-and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God-

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I only remember reading checker's impression back in September in this thread: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/411751-New-Lidge-2014

Haven't tried the new one yet and am curious as to what some others say too. Probably don't see myself buying it though as I have the original.

Thanks Hednic. Maybe a minor tweak in the 2014 version but it lasts only a minute or so. It still has a rich cacao drydown like my 2009 bottle and excellent longevity. Still the Lidge we know and love.

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

I have tried both at stores, no difference between them, and is identical to my decant of LIDGE (from dark rimmed earlier bottle).

I don't know if there are differences between dark rimmed LIDGE of 2014, and, say, 2009.

But the current bottles out there are same, clear rimmed or dark rimmed.

I've been wondering the same thing, as my 2011 stash is almost out. I have heard it both ways, with Sebastian on YouTube being big on how different they are, and Basenotes users more often than not saying they are the same.
    “The unnatural and the strange have a perfume of their own.”
    - Fernando Pessoa

Check out my swap thread.
    Currently wearing: Pour Un Homme by Caron

I'm interested in this too. I recently purchased a clear rimmed bottle and I really enjoy it, but I've never tried the dark-rimmed bottle and have nothing to compare it to.

Have it will try again soon

Hi have a 2012 (dark rim) bottle and a 2015 bottle (clear rim). They are indistinguishable after about 10mins. The new one starts out a bit more brighter and sweeter/louder but after 10mins they are EXACTLY the same! Both beautiful. Great reformulation! Well done guerlain.

Banned

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by martinijo View Post

you're out of your element, martinjo!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    you're out of your element, martinjo!
    Just joking, I'm thinking of starting another

These LIDGE threads... it's over the line. I feel I'm entering a world of pain. A world of pain.
    Currently wearing: Sine Die by LM Parfums

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Ludlow View Post
    These LIDGE threads... it's over the line. I feel I'm entering a world of pain. A world of pain.
    Most people do have lidgeitimate concerns. After all the point of these forums is for us to share our knowlidge and expertlidge on a variety of topics, this one currently happens to be.....

LIDGE

No idea about the new one. I own the old one, love it, but for some reason I never reach for it. Maybe when it cools down in GA. It's still in the 70's here. I AM NOT COMPLAINING!

Quote Originally Posted by bigbz View Post
    I was just watching someone's 2015 winter 10 ten list on Youtube last week on this very topic. They were very adamant that there was a big difference between the "vintage" with the dark glass sides and the newer all clear EDP.
    I might know this guy...

Quote Originally Posted by Stalkerboy View Post
    I might know this guy...
    As I've said before the majority of people who speak on fragrances online are only venting their own opinion, however incisive or flawed. Its up to you, kind reader, to discern those in the know from those parroting what they've been told and going with the flow as this is a highly subjective hobby and as always its best to follow your own nose.

If you can't smell a difference, perfect. Rejoice, harken to the astounding blend and complexity given form in the elegant perfume that remains the same from its day of inception to the currently marketed fragrance. If you smell a difference then make a thread and have a whole load of people wave their plastic clip on noses at you in between sniffs of a half melted chocolate orange held by a cleaned up hippie sipping on a cup of lapsang who say they smell no difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmolive View Post
    As I've said before the majority of people who speak on fragrances online are only venting their own opinion, however incisive or flawed. Its up to you, kind reader, to discern those in the know from those parroting what they've been told and going with the flow as this is a highly subjective hobby and as always its best to follow your own nose.

If you can't smell a difference, perfect. Rejoice, harken to the astounding blend and complexity given form in the elegant perfume that remains the same from its day of inception to the currently marketed fragrance. If you smell a difference then make a thread and have a whole load of people wave their plastic clip on noses at you in between sniffs of a half melted chocolate orange held by a cleaned up hippie sipping on a cup of lapsang who say they smell no difference.
    Agreed! "Follow your nose".

Tried the new version today - I have a 2012 and 2015 bottle.

I'll agree with everything Andre Moreau has said. Yes the new one is more citrusy off the top, but after 15-20 minutes it's good old magnificent LIDGE. I will try it some more and really look for the differences, but from first sniff it's certainly still good.

Quote Originally Posted by santos89 View Post
    Tried the new version today - I have a 2012 and 2015 bottle.

I'll agree with everything Andre Moreau has said. Yes the new one is more citrusy off the top, but after 15-20 minutes it's good old magnificent LIDGE. I will try it some more and really look for the differences, but from first sniff it's certainly still good.
    Exactly my thoughts as well.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    No idea about the new one. I own the old one, love it, but for some reason I never reach for it. Maybe when it cools down in GA. It's still in the 70's here. I AM NOT COMPLAINING!
    Must be nice!!!
    Eph 2:8: For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith-and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God-

I got a bottle and it's got more cocao and less patchouli, seems more pwdery and doesn't have that slightly green/earthy accord that patchouli had in the vibtage one. Definitely not as good and it nakes me a little sad because it doesn't exactly have the same vibe as the old one, also the performance is weaker. It's a skin scent after an hour but lasts like 8-10 hours whereas the old one was 12hrs.