Code of Conduct

Default A visual comparison of real vs fake Acqua Di Gio

Some of you may remember that I ordered a 100ml ADG from eBay a couple of weeks ago. I figured there was a good chance it was counterfeit b/c it was inexpensive ~ $30 shipped. I gave it a try b/c it was a tester bottle. I had never seem a fake Tester before... at least until now.

I did get a full refund from the seller. Instead of leaving bad feedback, I plan to contact the FBI. I have the sellers address from the shipping label. His store had impeccable feedback btw.

So here are the pic comparisons. The counterfeit bottle will always be on the LEFT. The legit bottle is always on the RIGHT. This is a pretty good looking fake. The smell gave it away immediately though. The fake one smells like an Off Citronella Candle. Maybe it will make a good bug spray.

The counterfeit (L) box was a little bit lighter in color.

The embossed date code on the fake bottle (L) matches the hologram sticker on the bottom of the bottle. The real bottle was the same.

If you zoom in on the real bottle (R), you can see that the Armani brand is embossed on the box top. The fake bottle(L), it is simply printed on in ink.

The counterfeit bottle had the ingredients printed inside the box as well. Strange...

The actual bottles look almost identical to the naked eye. The counterfeit bottles writing is a bit darker. For some reason the real bottle glows when the camera flashes. I wonder if this is by design?

The counterfeit bottles atomizer straw is much easier to see. You can barely see the straw in the legit bottle.
    Also on the fake, there are ingredients printed on the actual bottle as well.

Both included a hologram sticker on the bottom. As I said before the date codes that are embossed on the bottom of the boxes coorespond to these stickers. This was the case for both real & fake.

The atomizers look a bit different I guess.

The cap on the legit bottle (R) closes with a "snap" sound, and had a #8 inside. The counterfeit bottle had a larger #1 inside and was didn't fit as snugly as the real bottle.

After this experience I would probably take the advice that other members gave me with regards to ADG-- only buy it from authorized sellers. I also learned that Tester bottles are faked too. Who would have thought?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by whatupbigworm; 14th December 2015 at 03:50 PM.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: A visual comparison of real vs fake Acqua Di Gio

Glad to hear you had no problem getting your refund. Just by appearance from your photos, would have fooled me.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Glad to hear you had no problem getting your refund. Just by appearance from your photos, would have fooled me.
    Yea, without smelling it, I would have been completely fooled. Then again I have the nose of a bloodhound.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by whatupbigworm View Post
    Then again I have the nose of a bloodhound.
    Wish I did. In this industry, an asset to be sure.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Some of you may remember that I ordered a 100ml ADG from eBay a couple of weeks ago. I figured there was a good chance it was counterfeit b/c it was inexpensive ~ $30 shipped. I gave it a try b/c it was a tester bottle. I had never seem a fake Tester before... at least until now.

I did get a full refund from the seller. Instead of leaving bad feedback, I plan to contact the FTC. I have the sellers address from the shipping label. His store had impeccable feedback btw.
    Never thought about doing something like that but it's probably a good idea. People need to learn the hard way sometimes.

The seller could have been duped too.

Quote Originally Posted by dealt7faux View Post
    This is a possibility, but if the cops to show up then he or she can cooperate.

I thought about that too. However, I got the feeling he knew it was fake. If he had been duped too, he sure didn't put up much of a fight.

I sent one message stating that the bottle was counterfeit. He almost immediately refunded the money, no questions asked. He didn't even request that I send the bottle back to him. He sent no further response either.

I figure this is why he's managed to maintain a good feedback score. He just hopes most people are ignorant. He's playing the odds. For every 1 of me there are probably 10 more who are clueless.

I thought about that too. However, I got the feeling he knew it was fake. If he had been duped too, he sure didn't put up much of a fight.

I sent one message stating that the bottle was counterfeit. He almost immediately refunded the money, no questions asked. He didn't even request that I send the bottle back to him. He sent no further response either.

I figure this is why he's managed to maintain a good feedback score. He just hopes most people are ignorant. He's playing the odds. For every 1 of me there are probably 10 more who are clueless.
    Keep us posted.

Quote Originally Posted by The Islands View Post
    Keep us posted.
    I will. I sent the info to the FBI's counterfeiting division earlier today.

when did the caps become magnetized? my 200ml is real but the cap is not magnetized.

Quote Originally Posted by skism View Post
    when did the caps become magnetized? my 200ml is real but the cap is not magnetized.
    You're right. The cap fits very snugly and doesn't require much effort to close. It sort of has a "snap" to it. The fake bottle's top is mushy feeling when you close it. There is no snap.

I had almost bought either the Essenza or Profumo flankers. I guess reading about their magnetic caps had my mind playing tricks on me...

Saw this at Wally-World earlier. I just had to laugh. You'd think they could try a little bit harder on the name... Geau...
    Last edited by whatupbigworm; 15th December 2015 at 05:13 AM.

Definitely not. They know exactly what they are doing.

https://thecounterfeitreport.com/pro...ua-Di-GIO.html
    Currently wearing: Brutus by Orto Parisi

thanks for sharing these pics ...this really helps newbies like me to figure out the differences ...and out here the diff.s are very very minute and wont become apparent until its too late .....so am glad that you made the effort in clicking and posting these pics .... ....I actually had to take out my 2 bottles from storage to compare the pics ....and happy to report that both are exactly the way you have shown ( the real -right bottle pics ) ..phew !
    Currently wearing: Supremacy Silver by Afnan

Wow! I was browsing through the EBay Men's fragrance section and found a seller selling counterfeit ADG! They even used the fake pictures like the one OP posted!
    image.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by The Islands View Post
    Wow! I was browsing through the EBay Men's fragrance section and found a seller selling counterfeit ADG! They even used the fake pictures like the one OP posted!
    image.jpg
    There are several sellers with that same exact tester bottle. I have no idea if any of them are legit. I'm guessing no based on the prices they sell for.

Basenotes Plus

I did get a full refund from the seller
    Hm, seems right if you got a fake.

Instead of leaving bad feedback, I plan to contact the FBI. I have the sellers address from the shipping label.
    O-oh.. okay.

Interesting, my AdG bottle and packaging seems like a mix of BOTH of those in the OP.

Now as far as what mine looks like, or closest to from the pics (left/right sides) in the OP..

Front of box: right
    Bottom of box showing batch code: Mix of left and right (has PAP symbol and third line of text)
    Top of box: right (embossed, not ink)
    Left side of box: right (has barcode or w/e)
    Right side of box: left (has a barcode or w/e on that side as well)
    Back of box: Mainly looks like the one on the left
    Inside box: Mine has text on the inside front of the box, going pretty far down inside.
    Front of bottle: right
    Back of bottle: right
    Bottom of bottle: as far as I can tell, left
    Atomizer stuff: Left (look at the thing below the atomizer nozzle, that the cap snaps onto. Left one has a ridge thing in like the middle, whereas the right one has a thing higher up)
    Inside cap: left

Now, if you plug in the codes..

left (fake): 38K906 (2013-09)
    right (legit): 38M705 (2015-07)
    mine: 38K302 (2013-03)

Huh.. so maybe the fake one (left) is actually VERY close to 'older' legitimate AdG packaging? Maybe the packaging was recently changed within the past ~2 years or something (dif cap, atomizer stuff, text inside box removed)?

My AdG is a 2013 batch, and the fake one comes up with a 2013 date, whereas the newer legit one is a 2015 batch.

Ideas?
    Last edited by ILikePeeps; 5th January 2016 at 07:48 PM.
    **Resident Basenotes .gif responder!**
    dougczar: "Like I always say, if you like something BUY IT. If you love it, BUY TWO."
    Tmoran: "Gamma radiation made the hulk but I dont think he could drink a bottle of kouros and survive."
    All Hail King Kouros!

Quote Originally Posted by ILikePeeps View Post
    Hm, seems right if you got a fake.

O-oh.. okay.

Interesting, my AdG bottle and packaging seems like a mix of BOTH of those in the OP.

Now as far as what mine looks like, or closest to from the pics (left/right sides) in the OP..

Front of box: right
    Bottom of box showing batch code: Mix of left and right (has PAP symbol and third line of text)
    Top of box: right (embossed, not ink)
    Left side of box: right (has barcode or w/e)
    Right side of box: left (has a barcode or w/e on that side as well)
    Back of box: Mainly looks like the one on the left
    Inside box: Mine has text on the inside front of the box, going pretty far down inside.
    Front of bottle: right
    Back of bottle: right
    Bottom of bottle: as far as I can tell, left
    Atomizer stuff: Left (look at the thing below the atomizer nozzle, that the cap snaps onto. Left one has a ridge thing in like the middle, whereas the right one has a thing higher up)
    Inside cap: left

Now, if you plug in the codes..

left (fake): 38K906 (2013-09)
    right (legit): 38M705 (2015-07)
    mine: 38K302 (2013-03)

Huh.. so maybe the fake one (left) is actually VERY close to 'older' legitimate AdG packaging? Maybe the packaging was recently changed within the past ~2 years or something (dif cap, atomizer stuff, text inside box removed)?

My AdG is a 2013 batch, and the fake one comes up with a 2013 date, whereas the newer legit one is a 2015 batch.

Ideas?
    So are you inquiring as to whether or not your bottle is counterfeit, or are you just comparing? If it's the former the nose is the best indicator. The longevity is another thing to consider as well. If it smells real but only lasts 30 minutes, it's most likely fake.

Pictures and information regarding price and where purchased can help too.

Basenotes Plus

So are you inquiring as to whether or not your bottle is counterfeit, or are you just comparing? If it's the former the nose is the best indicator. The longevity is another thing to consider as well. If it smells real but only lasts 30 minutes, it's most likely fake.

Pictures and information regarding price and where purchased can help too.
    Maybe got me a little concerned, but it's probably legit.

A thing that kinda sucks is that I've tried to find e-mail stuff for it, and I may have found an e-mail involving it, but I'm not sure.

Beauty Encounter comes to mind for who I bought it from.
    Last edited by ILikePeeps; 7th January 2016 at 07:25 AM.
    **Resident Basenotes .gif responder!**
    dougczar: "Like I always say, if you like something BUY IT. If you love it, BUY TWO."
    Tmoran: "Gamma radiation made the hulk but I dont think he could drink a bottle of kouros and survive."
    All Hail King Kouros!

I will. I sent the info to the FBI's counterfeiting division earlier today.

It is understandable that you are upset at the fact that the salesperson have sold a counterfeit... but did you see if the seller was willing to make it right? did they make you whole again? Because reporting them to the FBI does sound extreme when you didn't give a chance to the seller person to clarify anything with you. I always say, "TREAT OTHERS THE WAY YOU LIKE TO BE TREATED." I understand that one gets upset when others do this, but YOU are not them, and THEY are not you.

-Oz

- - - Updated - - -

It is understandable that you are upset at the fact that the sales representative has sold you a counterfeit... but did you see if the seller was willing to make it right? did they make you whole again? Because reporting them to the FBI does sound extreme - when you did not give the seller an opportunity to clarify anything with you. I always say, "TREAT OTHERS THE WAY YOU WOULD LIKE TO BE TREATED." I understand that one gets upset when others do this, but YOU are not them, and THEY are not you.