Code of Conduct

Default Most Authentic Fireplace Experience

Go..............

The cold days and holidays are here again and those special moments by the fireside are a staple of these winter months. What I am looking for is that essence from a burning fireplace. It's otherworldly and brings back so many warm happy memories. Maybe it was the complete package of setting up the logs, lighting them up and seeing the flames dance, but that aroma, that smoke, you close your eyes and it brings me back to another world.

So I ask you, Basenotes Members, what is the most authentic fireplace experience?
    Last edited by AromaDelMar; 20th December 2015 at 06:27 PM.

Default Re: Most Authentic Fireplace Experience

SSS Fireside of course. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by cazaubon View Post
    Is that Fireside Intense? I googled it and it sounds fantastic...

Thanks for sharing

Seconding this, it really is that good! Just wish I could get my hands on a bottle in the UK

Sonoma Scent Studio: Fireside Intense without question. At first it smells like a fire with an old tire thrown on top for good measure, but the rubbery quality subsides quite a bit and it stays wonderfully smokey it's entire duration. Awesome fragrance!

Reside in McLean, NYC, Manuel Antonio & Búzios

Another for this.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Lonestar memories has fireplace aspects, though the stronger smells of campfire.

Among candles, Feu du bois does a good job at replicating the smell without actually burning wood.

cacio

Frag Bomb Squadron XIII

I agree with SSS Fireside Intense. Laurie is great with woodsy smoky notes. Another you should sample is her Winter Woods.
    Currently wearing: Sartorial by Penhaligon's

When it comes to personal fragrances, Naomi Goodsir Bois d'Ascese for sure. Diptyque's Feu du Bois is indeed a great candle and captures the scent of burning wood in a fireplace perfectly. I burn in a lot during the winters.

Profumum Roma Arso

I agree with Naomi Goodsir's Bois d'Ascese for sure. Profumum Arso is wonderful but not, IMHO, "authentic fireplace." If we're going to venture into "man sitting in front of a fireplace while wearing a beautiful fragrance" territory, I'd definitely include Arso and also Black Tourmaline.

Quote Originally Posted by Hat and Beard View Post
    Sonoma Scent Studio: Fireside Intense without question. At first it smells like a fire with an old tire thrown on top for good measure, but the rubbery quality subsides quite a bit and it stays wonderfully smokey it's entire duration. Awesome fragrance!
    I agree as well. Very likely the best fireside experience with this fragrance, composed "just right" IMHO. Another really good one is Soivohle Journeyman (it's less smoky).
    Some favorites: Pasha Incense Royale, Chopard (Oud Malaki, Noble Vetiver), Amouage (Epic Man, Tribute), Versace L'Homme (vintage), YSL (M7, Kouros (1st)), Gucci Envy, Gucci Nobile, Hermes (vintage: Bel Ami, Equipage), Chanel (vintage: Antaeus, Pour Monsieur (+CC), Egoiste (+CC)), Tiffany For Men, Estee Lauder Metropolis, Jean-Marc Sinan VO, Guerlain (Heritage, L'Homme Intense, LIDGE), Serge Lutens Vetiver Oriental, Etro (Palais Jamais, Gomma, Vetiver, Shaal Nur, Patchouly), Davidoff Zino (1st), Acqua di Parma (Assoluta 2011, Essenza, Intensa Oud), Gianfranco Ferre For Man (1st), Elsha 1776, Balenciaga Ho Hang Club, Jovoy Private Label, Monsieur Carven, Diptyque (Hesperides, Tam Dao EDP), Byredo (Accord Oud, Baudelaire)

A City On Fire by Imaginary Authors

Quote Originally Posted by Arij View Post
    A City On Fire by Imaginary Authors
    I agree 100%. I can't believe I didn't mention this one.

Most definitely Sonoma Scent Studio's Fireside Intense. I might give a vote for Naomi Goodir's Bois d'Ascese as well.
    MadHat Scents

Atlas Incense II (Shou Sugi Ban, Cardamom, Tonka, Incense)/ Le Chance XVI (Bergamot, Citrus, Lavender, Cedar & Sandalwood) / Fur - $5 OFF SALE - (Vintage Musks, Woods, Leather) / BayWay - (Citrus, Musk, Coconut) / Onsen Wood (Hinoki/Hiba/Cedar/Yuzu)

My first vote is also for SSS Fireside Intense, but I'd also suggest a look at Profumum Roma Ambra Aura which has an extremely smokey note, so smokey amber.
    I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.

My Sales Thread - A Collection Purge

Chaman's party
    Eau du fier
    for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Lonestar memories has fireplace aspects, though the stronger smells of campfire.

Among candles, Feu du bois does a good job at replicating the smell without actually burning wood.

cacio
    As you said more campfire but close enough.

Anthropologie has one called Smokewood by Distillery, and it seemed pretty authentic, particularly for the $20 price point. Worth a try; I can't speak for the others.

Glad to see I'm not the only one who loves smoky scents.
    In her bottled up is a woman peppery as curry,
    a yam of a woman of butter and brass,
    compounded of acid and sweet like a pineapple,
    like a handgrenade set to explode,
    like goldenrod ready to bloom.

—from "The Woman in the Ordinary" by Marge Piercy
    Currently wearing: Infusion d'Iris by Prada

Strangely, even my current SOTD, Giorgio Beverly Hills Red for Men smells a bit like fireplace, fire wood and a slight hint of smokiness, quite faint, tasteful and skillfully blended into the final development. Perhaps also with a minimal, but still perceptible, "winter spice", heavy and exotic rather than sweet complement to the notes assemblage.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Strangely, even my current SOTD, Giorgio Beverly Hills Red for Men smells a bit like fireplace, fire wood and a slight hint of smokiness, quite faint, tasteful and skillfully blended into the final development. Perhaps also with a minimal, but still perceptible, "winter spice", heavy and exotic rather than sweet complement to the notes assemblage.
    Nice to see this one mentioned. Very nice and neglected.

Basenotes Member

I agree with the Arso by Profumum Roma.
    It's like Margiela's By the fireplace, but with depth.

I really want some of that now... Damn.

Yet another fragrance with a slight "fireplace note" to me is Cedar Woods by Woods of Windsor- almost every note reminding of being close to the fireside of both a fireplace but also a campfire, yet in avery light and almost evocatively nostalgic, rather than heavily noticeable way, as if a faint, sketchy dream some cedar wood, smoke, resins, unburnt logs and timber, some moss, perhaps a bit of piney notes as well all came together in some distant, almost Proustian fragrance memory.