Code of Conduct
Page 30 of 33 FirstFirst ... 20 28 29 30 31 32 ... LastLast
    The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Default Re: The Fragrance Confessions thread

Quote Originally Posted by PStoller View Post
    I got Special Reserve on ZC’s recommendation. It’s never going to be my most prized fragrance, but it punches so far above it’s weight that it’s ridiculous not to own a bottle.
    Meanwhile original Clubman Pinaud is literally THE smell of the corner middle America barber (because Pinaud aggressively pushed its use to barbers when launched), so there are definitely some crosses to bear it you dislike that smell (since Clubman Pinaud is the origin of the species unless your barber paid a premium for Canoe). Luckily, I enjoy this smell and miss the powder being tossed on my neck post-haircut.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Discover a searchable archive of my reviews and more at The Scented Devil

Lately I've been experimenting with adding essential oils to fragrances. I have a bunch of little 5 ml atomizers, so I use them for my "experiments." I've been adding floral notes to a bunch of stuff - mostly Encre Noire/EN Sport and Mugler Cologne. Yesterday I made a pretty great combo of jasmine, rose and bergamot EOs mixed in with Encre Noire. I'm sure my ratios are off and it doesn't exactly smell "refined," but - eff it, it's fun!
    "To 'give style' to one's character-- a great and rare art!" - Nietzsche

"I got my own style; you put my shoes on, you wouldn't last a mile" - Mac Dre

All Is Beautiful

I was deeply into all naturals and expensive ouds but then I got into the vintage rat hole and not so much into the all naturals and ouds. I still like those but I am more likely to be wearing a vintage.
    FYI: I spray all fragrances on clothing, never on skin.

All Is Beautiful

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    Meanwhile original Clubman Pinaud is literally THE smell of the corner middle America barber (because Pinaud aggressively pushed its use to barbers when launched), so there are definitely some crosses to bear it you dislike that smell (since Clubman Pinaud is the origin of the species unless your barber paid a premium for Canoe). Luckily, I enjoy this smell and miss the powder being tossed on my neck post-haircut.
    I go to these barbers who are very traditional and they used Clubman Pinaud on me. It wasn't bad for 5 minutes, LOL. No longevity but it wasn't bad. They do a bit of a wet shavey finish with a straight razor on the back of the neck, and finish with the Clubman.

Quote Originally Posted by jkonick View Post
    Yesterday I made a pretty great combo of jasmine, rose and bergamot EOs mixed in with Encre Noire.
    Sounds nice.

Banned

Lately I've been experimenting with adding essential oils to fragrances. I have a bunch of little 5 ml atomizers, so I use them for my "experiments." I've been adding floral notes to a bunch of stuff - mostly Encre Noire/EN Sport and Mugler Cologne. Yesterday I made a pretty great combo of jasmine, rose and bergamot EOs mixed in with Encre Noire. I'm sure my ratios are off and it doesn't exactly smell "refined," but - eff it, it's fun!

I added A LOT of Myrrh essential oil to Anick Goutal's MYRRHE ARDENTE. It became a gorgeous supremely wonderful fragrance.
    Currently wearing: Black Aoud by Montale

Banned

Sometimes I do not bathe on a day, and I use perfumes to MASK my body odor when I go downstairs to get the mail.
    Currently wearing: Black Aoud by Montale

Yeah! That sounds fun!
    I've been using some vintage perfume nips lately and they are giving me a pretty good snapshot of what some vintage fragrances could have been like fresh.
    Wonder if some of those lovely top notes could be "rejuvenated" in an older and otherwise well preserved fragrance. I would have no idea how to do that, but with the less rare ones it might be fun to do some 5ml experiments.
    ”I want all the perfumes”
    Currently wearing: 1000 by Jean Patou

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by thrilledchilled View Post
    I go to these barbers who are very traditional and they used Clubman Pinaud on me. It wasn't bad for 5 minutes, LOL. No longevity but it wasn't bad. They do a bit of a wet shavey finish with a straight razor on the back of the neck, and finish with the Clubman.
    Maybe my nose is just more sensitive than folks in general, or there are more smokers here than people are admitting, because when I pulled this for a day wear, a single application went a good 8 hours on me, with only a small re-splash to boost me into another 5+ hours until I was home (days start at 10am, end at 11pm). I also went a week without perfume prior due to some flare-up of my bronchitis, so that may have "reset" tolerances even further.

All Is Beautiful

Maybe my nose is just more sensitive than folks in general, or there are more smokers here than people are admitting, because when I pulled this for a day wear, a single application went a good 8 hours on me, with only a small re-splash to boost me into another 5+ hours until I was home (days start at 10am, end at 11pm). I also went a week without perfume prior due to some flare-up of my bronchitis, so that may have "reset" tolerances even further.
    Curious indeed. It didn’t last longer than 30 minutes and I do not exaggerate.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by thrilledchilled View Post
    Curious indeed. It didn’t last longer than 30 minutes and I do not exaggerate.
    I believe you. My SO swears everything on him disappears in 30 minutes, which is why he generally doesn't wear fragrance but likes catching it on me.

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceRF View Post
    Sounds nice.
    +

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Andrei Bolkonsky View Post
    I added A LOT of Myrrh essential oil to Anick Goutal's MYRRHE ARDENTE. It became a gorgeous supremely wonderful fragrance.
    Nice! I haven't tried that particular fragrance but amping up a note you enjoy makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Earlyn View Post
    Yeah! That sounds fun!
    I've been using some vintage perfume nips lately and they are giving me a pretty good snapshot of what some vintage fragrances could have been like fresh.
    Wonder if some of those lovely top notes could be "rejuvenated" in an older and otherwise well preserved fragrance. I would have no idea how to do that, but with the less rare ones it might be fun to do some 5ml experiments.
    That's an interesting idea. You could sort of "suture" a new transplanted set of top notes to an older fragrance. I definitely enjoy layering/combining fragrances, so it's worth it to buy a bunch of bulk 5 ml atomizers. That way you only lose a few ml if things go awry.
    "To 'give style' to one's character-- a great and rare art!" - Nietzsche

"I got my own style; you put my shoes on, you wouldn't last a mile" - Mac Dre

Basenotes Plus

I believe you. My SO swears everything on him disappears in 30 minutes, which is why he generally doesn't wear fragrance but likes catching it on me.
    Nose blindness can be extremely annoying, especially when it is a fragrance you enjoy or smell on others and wanna wear. All my fragrances do it to some degree some more than others.
    Currently wearing: Allure Homme by Chanel

Quit smoking (5 weeks or so until now) it was much much easy than 2 weeks without buying perfumes.
    Currently wearing: Jaïpur Homme by Boucheron

Basenotes Junkie

I wore Dior Homme 2020 3 days in a row. Never happened to any other fragrance

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by speckmann0706 View Post
    Nose blindness can be extremely annoying, especially when it is a fragrance you enjoy or smell on others and wanna wear. All my fragrances do it to some degree some more than others.
    I think my SO got used to tuning out smells from years of working food service and being around friers etc. until he moved here, so sadly that works both for bad and good smells, meaning he has no long lasting enjoyment of anything smell-related, be it candles or perfume.

I once gave in to those JD commercials and bought Sauvage just to return it right away! I mean those commercials gave the vibe of another Fahrenheit, maybe more ground breaking, warmer and animalic... The desert, cayote, electric guitar, metal accessories, tattoos, city night, black vehicles with leather interior... Now that I think about it that commercial was an outrageously misleading try-hard!

Quote Originally Posted by blackaroma View Post
    Now that I think about it that commercial was an outrageously misleading try-hard!
    Most perfume commercials are.

I am a Pinaud fanatic thanks to my traditional shaving hobby. I'm that guy that decants all of his Pinaud after shaves, because I think it makes them smell better. Original Pinaud Clubman brings back so many memories from my childhood that I will always have it in my collection.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    Most perfume commercials are.
    Difference is with most other perfumes you can at least get the vibe what they're going for... Again I agree I fell for that one

I often consider getting some perfumers alcohol to dilute EO1 PP to something I can handle / get a better grip on.

Quote Originally Posted by Stinky_Pete View Post
    I am a Pinaud fanatic thanks to my traditional shaving hobby. I'm that guy that decants all of his Pinaud after shaves, because I think it makes them smell better. Original Pinaud Clubman brings back so many memories from my childhood that I will always have it in my collection.

What type of bottles are these decanted into?
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."

I am a Pinaud fanatic thanks to my traditional shaving hobby. I'm that guy that decants all of his Pinaud after shaves, because I think it makes them smell better. Original Pinaud Clubman brings back so many memories from my childhood that I will always have it in my collection
    Great collection. If you are going to be a fan then why not a fanatic!
    I think many here may have started their fragrance hobby because of smell memories.
    Those bottle look like what soy sauce comes in. Do they have a plastic reducer for dispensing little splashes?

I am currently using some powerhouse frags to create social distancing within my household.

Los Angeles, CA- too damn close to Scent Bar

I have a few Pinauds myself and aside from the scents, I think it is an amazing after shave. leaving the face feeling very soothed and smooth.
    Have tried a lot of different after shaves and these are consistently good. Plus the price is right: $8 or so...

I find that the Pinaud Classic Vanilla is the least aromatic and with weak longevity that doesn't conflict with other EdTs.

Pinaud Clubman can't be beat for THE ultimate barbershop scent. This is literally what some huge percentage of American barbers used (and still use) for many, many years.
    Also comes in a talc that is great.
    Currently Loving:

Bois du Portugal
    Invasion Barbare
    Le 3e Homme
    Ormande Jayne Man
    New York Intense
    Patchouli Intense
    Naxos
    Ombre Leather
    Clubman/Canoe/Wild Country/Azzaro Pour Homme
    Currently wearing: Pour Un Homme by Caron

I get bored so I buy stuff. Cologne, blazers, watches, golf clubs. Man, I miss watching sports.
    Currently wearing: Beach Hut Man by Amouage

Man, that's got to be rough. A perfume lover with someone who doesn't even wear one.

How do you feel about that?
    EDIT: Sorry, reading that back I've realised how intrusive that is. Only answer if you feel comfortable.
    “If it is not right do not do it; if it is not true do not say it.”
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    I get bored so I buy stuff. Cologne, blazers, watches, golf clubs. Man, I miss watching sports.
    Yeah... I've got to break the habit of shopping for entertainment.

Mindfulness, lads.

Often less is more. Don't try to place one compulsive, semi-addictive habit with another!
    “If it is not right do not do it; if it is not true do not say it.”
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

Quote Originally Posted by slpfrsly View Post
    Often less is more.
    I agree with this. Most of my shopping is really "looking". I'm very selective in what I own.

Page 30 of 33 FirstFirst ... 20 28 29 30 31 32 ... LastLast