Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Default The Fragrance Confessions thread

Your fragrance related confessions.
    Please share them here.
    I will start with one:
    I haven't worn a fragrance for 3 months straight up until last week!
    More confessions to follow...
    Currently wearing: Lost Cherry by Tom Ford

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: The Fragrance Confessions thread

I don't think I purchased (at least I don't recall) a fragrance in 2015 that I smelled or tried prior to buying it.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Wearing Perfume Right Now

Within the same day, I've considered my collection complete, and seriously considered a $500 blind buy of vintage Patou Pour Homme.

Within the same day. A troubled day, to be sure. This was today, to be clear.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by joov84 View Post
    Your fragrance related confessions.
    Please share them here.
    I will start with one:
    I haven't worn a fragrance for 3 months straight up until last week!
    More confessions to follow...
    I've never worn a fragrance in my life

Only joking

Hardly knew anything about niche fragrances even after joining BN and oddly did not became familiar with this category after signing up in January 2006, but only after smelling the first niche fragrances ever (I remember having tested) in October of the same year, also relatively late considering I was already 23 back then.
    Currently wearing: Bogart by Jacques Bogart

Missing Oakmoss

Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post
    Within the same day, I've considered my collection complete, and seriously considered a $500 blind buy of vintage...
    Same here. My confrontation was with a sealed full bottle of Habanita extrait, and the only thing that saved me was someone else getting there first.

Dependent

I need to confess that people who keep telling me to sample before I buy are right. Too many crap ass blind buys. I just hate sampling for some reason. But it appears to be necessity at this point as I think I have bought all the safe blind buys.

Oh, and I must confess that losing my love for aventus and really am seeing how ridiculous I got with certain aspects of that obsession. No offense to those still mesmerized.

Blog Entries

I've bought multiple bottles of unisex fragrance as "gifts" for my wife with the intent of me wearing it as well.

I just blind bought Paris Hilton Man. There were just so many positive comments.

Paris Hilton fragrance coming to my doorstep in a few days. Paris Hilton. I feel so dirty and cheap. But I have a strange feeling I will like it...
    Current Summer Favorites:

1. Xerjoff - Nio
    2. Tom Ford - Rive d’Ambre
    3. Dior - Homme Cologne 2013
    4. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    5. Armani - Code Sport Athlete
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Dior - Homme Sport 2008
    8. by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    9. Ermenegildo Zegna - Sicilian Mandarin
    10. Creed - Pure White Cologne

Many years ago I threw a bottle of Guerlain Vetiver in the trash, I really tried to like it but it was just too horrid for me at the time.

I also before I was really into fragrances many years ago poured a bottle of vintage Zino Davidoff down the sink. It was in the days that when you were gifted a fragrance for Xmas/birthday that it was usually crap. I did not know at the time any better.lol...... forgive me.
    "There's No School Like The Old School."

My Current Favorites

1. Musk Cologne By Bortnikoff
    2. Pegwell Bay By Haeckels
    3. Terre d Hermes Edt
    4. Vintage Dunhill Edition Edt (Made In Holland Bottle)

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    I just blind bought Paris Hilton Man. There were just so many positive comments.

Paris Hilton fragrance coming to my doorstep in a few days. Paris Hilton. I feel so dirty and cheap. But I have a strange feeling I will like it...
    Geez dougczar I think it was intended for basic confessions not this sort of atrocity.
    Actually I received a small sample of a Paris Hilton fragrance this year and if was quite good. Smelt like Polo Blue.

I confess to saying on another thread yesterday my resolution was to stop purchasing and today I purchased vintage Pour Monsieur. Couldn't go one day. So sad.
    MY STEALTHY FREEDOM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Oc8EZcvGG8

Quote Originally Posted by Tmoran View Post
    Oh, and I must confess that losing my love for aventus and really am seeing how ridiculous I got with certain aspects of that obsession. No offense to those still mesmerized.
    Now that took guts. Respect.
    It is true that fish stink. It is also true that the river is
    beautiful. But the river would be beautiful despite the fish. What
    is noxious remains so.

That is not to say that sh*t is not useful when buried in the wheat
    field. Bread made from the field tastes sweet, wine from the arbor
    sweetest. All things serve a purpose, but that is no reason to
    glorify what is abominable. A man must still watch where he walks
    and keep his sandals clean.
    c.21 of the Egyptian Book of the Dead, Trans: Normandi Ellis

Dependent

I think it is time to part with Aventus. I don't know what happened, but it just does not smell the same to my nose anymore. It's not like my opinion of the scent as I remember it has changed; it simply does not smell the same to me anymore. If my nose still perceived it the way I remember it smelling, I'd still love it, but it just doesn't. :/

I've tried some newer batches just to be sure it isn't my stock, but alas...

It smells harsh and all I get from it now is that "pine sol" smell (not quite an accurate description, but I see what others were talking about) after it dries down.

Ten, actually.

• I decided to try Leather Oud simply because of the controversy that it received here on Basenotes. Tested it, loved it, bought a bottle.
    • A*Men was my favorite fragrance prior to Straight to Heaven.
    • I consider MI to be better than Aventus.
    • I wish that Thierry Mugler made Mugler Cologne bar soaps (aside from the ones for hotels) again.
    • While on the subject of hotel toiletries, I've seriously considered staying at the Fairmont Chicago because of the Rose 31 toiletries.
    • Jo Malone 154 is incredibly underrated.
    • Tobacco Vanille is horrendously overrated.
    • During a forthcoming trip to Disney World, my primary souvenir will be a Guerlain.
    • I've seriously thought from time to time about getting a bottle of Drakkar Noir to use as a practical joke.
    • I don't get the magic of Kouros - but I don't think it's repulsive, either.
    It's really quite pleasant, except for the smell (...)
    -"Mama", My Chemical Romance

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by superfluousPastry View Post
    Now that took guts. Respect.
    I actually think ive been in denial for awhile. Dont get me wrong i still like it and will still wear it but i can admit im In a disillutioned state with it at this point. It was truly an obsession in my case. And now that the honeymoon is over what i once viewed a ten. Is more like a 7 on my personal scale. I dont know if its just a change in taste, getting bored or what. I just dont worship it anymore and having discovered so many things since and the fact that i cant even recall the last time i wore it. Just a few months ago i could probably tell you what batch it was and on which day i wore it. And its almost like now that im not actively interested in it i find myself getting irritated when i see or read something that i know Is highly exaggerated or pure fluff. And i can see where the resentment comes from. But as it has been said most of what we hate about others simply mirrors what we dislike in ourselves . So right after getting irritated i realize that it would just be the exact same obsessive behavior and still focusing too much energy on the stuff if i flipped sides and started talking ill about it knowing that I cant blame the fragrance for my behavior. So now i think after actually typing it I wont really feel the desire to comment either way anymore. Very therapeutic thread!
    Last edited by Tmoran; 31st December 2015 at 01:41 AM.

I actually think ive been in denial for awhile. Dont get me wrong i still like it and will still wear it but i can admit im In a disillutioned state with it at this point. It was truly an obsession in my case. And now that the honeymoon is over what i once viewed a ten. Is more like a 7 on my personal scale. I dont know if its just a change in taste, getting bored or what. I just dont worship it anymore and having discovered so many things since and the fact that i cant even recall the last time i wore it. Just a few months ago i could probably tell you what batch it was and on which day i wore it. And its almost like now that im not actively interested in it i find myself getting irritated when i see or read something that i know Is highly exaggerated or pure fluff. And i can see where the resentment comes from. But as it has been said most of what we hate about others simply mirrors what we dislike in ourselves . So right after getting irritated i realize that it would just be the exact same obsessive behavior and still focusing too much energy on the stuff if i flipped sides and started talking ill about it knowing that I cant blame the fragrance for my behavior. So now i think after actually typing it I wont really feel the desire to comment either way anymore. Very therapeutic thread!
    Nice work mate. It's now an opportunity to move on and explore other fragrances and houses.
    MY STEALTHY FREEDOM.

I like smelling like "an old lady" or "a clean diaper." (At least that's what some around me tell me.)
    “The unnatural and the strange have a perfume of their own.”
    - Fernando Pessoa

Check out my swap thread.
    Currently wearing: Pour Un Homme by Caron

Basenotes Plus

Congratulations on finding your zen!

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    Many years ago I threw a bottle of Guerlain Vetiver in the trash, I really tried to like it but it was just too horrid for me at the time.

I also before I was really into fragrances many years ago poured a bottle of vintage Zino Davidoff down the sink. It was in the days that when you were gifted a fragrance for Xmas/birthday that it was usually crap. I did not know at the time any better.lol...... forgive me.
    Yep, I threw out a bottle of Gucci Nobile. I find it a lot more interesting now than I did then.

First ever post on Basenotes, although I've been observing for a little enjoying all the insights and wonderful reviews and learning more about fragrances/ It's fitting that my first post is a confession, or rather a pair of confessions:

- Basenotes contributed to getting me hooked on fragrances. It all started while looking up a review for Oscar de la Renta Pour Lui, which I blind bought. Sprayed some on my wrist in the car, hated it at first, thought the review was a joke and then took a sniff a few minutes later and loved it and realized that you know what you're talking about.
    - I sniff my bottles at least once a day

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by Manoli View Post
    First ever post on Basenotes, although I've been observing for a little enjoying all the insights and wonderful reviews and learning more about fragrances/
    - I sniff my bottles at least once a day
    I guess that's a confession! Welcome to you Manoli!
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

i just blind bought Guerlain vetiver

I like barbershop and powdery scents and love a great lavender.

After my father died I threw out his full bottle(tester) of Polo Modern Reserve.

You will, and that will be your next confession

I truly like a LOT of cheapies, and, own the entire Paris Hilton men's line (all 3)

Banned

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by tensor9 View Post
    I think it is time to part with Aventus. I don't know what happened, but it just does not smell the same to my nose anymore. It's not like my opinion of the scent as I remember it has changed; it simply does not smell the same to me anymore. If my nose still perceived it the way I remember it smelling, I'd still love it, but it just doesn't. :/

I've tried some newer batches just to be sure it isn't my stock, but alas...

It smells harsh and all I get from it now is that "pine sol" smell (not quite an accurate description, but I see what others were talking about) after it dries down.
    It's OK, you just don't get it.

Sometimes I talk to my bottles. Sometimes when I come home, and I don't lock my cologne locker, they cheat on me. With my roommate of all people. He's suppose to be a friend. But like I told the bottles, its cheating and I forgive them. But not the room mate. He's dirty. Best man one minute, stealing your juice the next. Time to double pad lock and stop getting complacent.
    Currently wearing: Luna Rossa Carbon by Prada

Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast