Code of Conduct

Default Is there anything like Raw Vanilla?

This has been on my mind for the past few days, as my bottle goes close to empty, and I look at prices on Ebay and get discouraged. So surely there has to be something like Raw Vanilla? What can you recommend? I have smelled probably close to 3000 fragrances now, since my fragrance journey began, and nothing has come close to this simplistic fragrance. I think Eau Duelle is a little similar (although spicier and woodsier) and that's partially why I bought Eau Duelle because it reminded me of Raw Vanilla. I understand Raw Vanilla got discontinued for having low sales, on an already cheap fragrance, they probably weren't making much to begin with (just like with Avatar, another great cheapy). Raw Vanilla smells so natural for what it used to cost, it smells like a 150+ dollar fragrance easily, but I wouldn't ever pay that much for it. It's hard to believe that over the years since its release in the late 90s, up until it being discontinued a few years ago, nobody has attempted to copy this great fragrance, or did I just miss it? Recommendations please. Thanks.

My Ultimate Top 5:

Fahrenheit (1988)
    A*Men Ultra Zest (2015)
    Burberry London (2006)
    Eau des Baux (2006)
    Arpege pour Homme (2005)

Basenotes Member

Default Re: Is there anything like Raw Vanilla?

I see several bottles on ebay for $12.99. You might want to take a look.

Reside in McLean, NYC, Manuel Antonio & Búzios

Ebay is your best bet if you want to replace your bottle. Prices seem reasonable
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

I've never smelled Raw Vanilla but what comes to mind is Indult Tihota. That's the purest, most natural smelling vanilla I've ever tried. A little bit pricey though. Still, I'm a huge vanilla lover and just had to have it. One of my favourite fragrances.
    Mi sagli smo glave, u strahu da biće još gore...i biće, jer sagli smo glave...a ljubav živi...
    Currently wearing: Iris Ganache by Guerlain

Unless you want to risk/gamble with vintage wares or settle for mediocre grade vanilla, your easiest, relatively speaking of course, option are the Guerlain Ode a la Vanille trio:

ode a la vanille
    ode a la vanille Madagascar
    ode a la vanille mexique

The former and second being the most vanilla-centric.
    for swap/sale:

Laura Biagiotti Uomo to me in a way............
    I really like Raw Vanilla but only have a 15ml splash bottle that is half empty and didn't wear it for a long time but in my head it was similar to the LB.
    My Top '10' : (In no particular order)

- Dolce & Gabbana: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Van Cleef & Arpels: Pour Homme
    - Armani: Acqua di Gio Profumo
    - Davidoff: Leather Blend Edp
    - Ferrari: Essence Oud Edp
    - Chanel: Platinum Egoiste
    - YSL: Kouros (Fraîcheur)
    - Dior: Fahrenheit (Aqua)
    - Mancera: Cedrat Boise
    - Knize Ten

I remember trying this out in the drug/health and beauty section of the grocery store. I agree that it was a good scent along with Avatar. I never bought it at the time because I seem to remember I was wearing Egoiste, Obsession, Joop, and Minotaur along with the fresher, aquatic style fragrances that were so popular eg Polo Sport, CK One, Eternity. Reading the label on the attached picture Marc Jacobs come to mind but I could be way off. I looked at EBay and it seems the fragrance is selling between $20 to $25 and ounce and that seems expensive for what it is. Certainly the fact that it is discontinued is going to account for the higher than retail prices.

The thing with Ebay and this scent. I have a fresh bottle at home, little left though, but I've purchased it off Ebay as well, and it smelled off, both times I purchased it from 2 separate sellers, both with high feedback. Assuming they weren't kept well. Raw Vanilla also isn't like some other discontinued frags that you can sometimes find and bigger resellers like Fragnet or Amazon. It's pretty much Ebay or you're SOL. Maybe I'll try another Ebay seller, but I am not so confident.
    My Ultimate Top 5:

Fahrenheit (1988)
    A*Men Ultra Zest (2015)
    Burberry London (2006)
    Eau des Baux (2006)
    Arpege pour Homme (2005)

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    The thing with Ebay and this scent. I have a fresh bottle at home, little left though, but I've purchased it off Ebay as well, and it smelled off, both times I purchased it from 2 separate sellers, both with high feedback. Assuming they weren't kept well. Raw Vanilla also isn't like some other discontinued frags that you can sometimes find and bigger resellers like Fragnet or Amazon. It's pretty much Ebay or you're SOL. Maybe I'll try another Ebay seller, but I am not so confident.
    Ever try Vanilla Fields?

Quote Originally Posted by Titan View Post
    I remember trying this out in the drug/health and beauty section of the grocery store. I agree that it was a good scent along with Avatar. I never bought it at the time because I seem to remember I was wearing Egoiste, Obsession, Joop, and Minotaur along with the fresher, aquatic style fragrances that were so popular eg Polo Sport, CK One, Eternity. Reading the label on the attached picture Marc Jacobs come to mind but I could be way off. I looked at EBay and it seems the fragrance is selling between $20 to $25 and ounce and that seems expensive for what it is. Certainly the fact that it is discontinued is going to account for the higher than retail prices.
    Marc Jacobs is very floral! I could barely wear it!

Vintage Canoe (It's a powdery vanilla of sorts...) I just layered a small spray with Al-Rehab Choco Musk! Heavenly!😊

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Oc8EZcvGG8

I bought some not too long ago from Amazon. This is a good fragrance for the price but it's way too sweet (for me).

Whenever I wear it these days I layer it over a base of patchouli (with which it combines very well). This helps to blunt the sweetness and add complexity. I see this as a teen/20's scent, personally. YMMV

Here's the one I bought, still for sale on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Coty-Vanilla-C...ds=raw+vanilla
    Last edited by superfluousPastry; 4th January 2016 at 11:05 AM.
    It is true that fish stink. It is also true that the river is
    beautiful. But the river would be beautiful despite the fish. What
    is noxious remains so.

That is not to say that sh*t is not useful when buried in the wheat
    field. Bread made from the field tastes sweet, wine from the arbor
    sweetest. All things serve a purpose, but that is no reason to
    glorify what is abominable. A man must still watch where he walks
    and keep his sandals clean.
    c.21 of the Egyptian Book of the Dead, Trans: Normandi Ellis

Banned

Damn you, OP. lol I bought a .5oz bottle on Ebay after reading this thread. It came in today.

This is one of the worst attempts at a vanilla fragrance I've tried yet. And it lasts about as a long as a fart. And I'm talking about the length of time of a fart's audible part, not the sillage and projection. Both of which are subpar as well.

There's really nothing to this stuff. Alcohol and maybe a dash of vanilla.

Arquiste's The Architects Club, Le Couvent Des Minimes Eau Des Missions (though waaaaaay too sweet for me), Vanille 44 and Perry Ellis Oud Black Vanilla Absolute run major circles around this dud. Wasn't worth the 10 bucks I paid one bit.