Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 61
o
  1. #1

    Default Amouage Reformulations

    Hey guys I know this topic has been talked about a lot, but I was wondering do magnetic caps necessarily correlate with reformulations, and if not which if any have been reformulated. Just curious may want to buy one but only if it performs.

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Heartbreak Hotel
    Posts
    6,154

    Default Re: Amouage Reformulations

    I don't think anybody knows 100% other than Amouage, but the general consensus seems to be that when magnetic caps were implemented, was when the ostensible reformulations took place. It's safe to say, that a non-magnetic cap version corresponds to "vintage" juice.

  3. #3
    Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Posts
    21,533

    Default Re: Amouage Reformulations

    For Memoir Man and Interlude Man I've found zero difference between the magnetic and the non-magnetic cap versions.

    Can't vouch for the others.
    Currently wearing: Wazamba by Parfum d'Empire

  4. #4

    Default Re: Amouage Reformulations

    Some non magnet caps are actually reformulated I think...dunno how to tell

  5. #5

    Default Re: Amouage Reformulations

    Silver has been reformulated to death!

  6. #6

    Default Re: Amouage Reformulations

    Magnetic seems fine in most cases.
    Last edited by AnthonyG; 1st June 2017 at 06:57 AM.

  7. #7
    Dependent Francolino's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    South of No North
    Posts
    7,273

    Default Re: Amouage Reformulations

    friction cap bottles were not reform, magnetic capped bottles are the reformulated ones!

  8. #8

  9. #9

    Default Re: Amouage Reformulations

    I've tried vintage and reformulated versions of only two Amouage fragrances; Interlude and Jubilation.

    From what I remember, the blackberry note seemed to be stronger and last longer in the reformulated Jubilation. Vintage is more heavy on the incense and lasts longer on the skin, overall. Interlude did smell the same to me but didn't project as much as the vintage. Longevity on reformulated Interlude is still over 12 hours. I own bottles of vintage Jubilation and reformulated Interlude. I had samples of reformulated Jubilation and vintage Interlude.

  10. #10
    Dependent
    Norstrøm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Copenhagen
    Posts
    5,617

    Default Re: Amouage Reformulations

    Jubilation is pretty much untouched to my nose. It might project and last a little longer and be slightly less dense, but it is still a monster masterpiece
    “To defeat an enemy you must know them. Not simply their battle tactics, but their history, philosophy, art.”
    Grand Admiral Thrawn

  11. #11

    Default Re: Amouage Reformulations

    Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    Silver has been reformulated to death!
    Mohsen from Universal has vintage 50ml testers of Silver Man. They smell fine.
    Currently wearing: Cuir Beluga by Guerlain

  12. #12
    Basenotes Institution
    sjg3839's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    43,625

    Default Re: Amouage Reformulations

    If so, don't feel it made a large difference.
    <div class="bnsotd"><b>Currently wearing:</b> <a href="ID26148387.html"><img src="http://www.basenotes.net/photos/products/33/26148387-7393.jpg"> Carven L'Eau Intense by Carven</a></div>

  13. #13
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil
    Posts
    302,183

    Default Re: Amouage Reformulations

    Quote Originally Posted by Duke Hunt View Post
    I don't think anybody knows 100% other than Amouage
    This.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

  14. #14
    Basenotes Junkie Stalkerboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    831

    Default Re: Amouage Reformulations

    I've seen a considerable difference in Reflection Man and Jub XXV. IMO, Jub XXV is much more wearable now as the intense, sickeningly rich sweetness has been reduced in the newer one.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Amouage Reformulations

    Quote Originally Posted by Stalkerboy View Post
    I've seen a considerable difference in Reflection Man and Jub XXV. IMO, Jub XXV is much more wearable now as the intense, sickeningly rich sweetness has been reduced in the newer one.
    Has Reflection Man improved through the reformulation as well?

  16. #16
    Basenotes Junkie Stalkerboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    831

    Default Re: Amouage Reformulations

    Quote Originally Posted by ripjean View Post
    Has Reflection Man improved through the reformulation as well?
    Not to my nose. That bright, woody floral vibe had been dulled down.

  17. #17
    Basenotes Institution L'Homme Blanc Individuel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Tic Tac Toto, we're not in Kansas anymore.
    Posts
    14,589
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Amouage Reformulations

    Quote Originally Posted by ripjean View Post
    Has Reflection Man improved through the reformulation as well?
    I mentioned this in the Reflection Man thread, but it's worth repeating. I bought a decant of Reflection Man from a split a few months ago, and I was so disappointed. It smelled a bit harsh, especially in the base. I'd already gone through at least 5ml of Reflection Man in samples, so I'm quite familiar with it. I tried my decant a few times but it just wasn't right. I was disappointed. I put it away and forgot about it.

    This past weekend, I pulled it out again and gave it another shot... and... wow. It was fantastic. I gave it a full wear yesterday and was thrilled.

    It's important to remember that we're all guessing here. When somebody says the magnetic cap means it's reformulated, that person is guessing. Only Amouage knows for sure... but I do have a theory.

    I suspect Amouage may be shipping bottles too soon, before the fragrance has had enough time to fully maturate. It's just a guess, but I know my Reflection Man decant has changed over a period of months. It's significantly smoother now - especially in the drydown. Looking back on it, I think I had the same experience with my bottle of Interlude. I'd swear the scent has changed (for the better) over time, though I'd struggle to explain how. It doesn't seem as loud now. I mean, yeah, it's still the loudest scent I own, but initially it felt nuclear and the transition from the top to the heart felt a bit rocky. Now, it's smooth as silk.

    I have no idea if Reflection Man has been reformulated, but I do know my decant smells fantastic. It's long lasting and marvelously rich. There's a warmth in the base that takes time to reveal itself, but when it does, it's magic. The top is fantastic too. The whole scent is marvelous.
    Current Favorites (in no particular order)
    Castile
    Nio
    Endymion
    Royal Oud
    Petit Matin
    Curve
    1725 Casanova
    Green Irish Tweed
    Aqua Universalis
    Reflection Man
    Tabac Rouge
    Prada L'Homme
    Les Exclusifs Eau de Cologne
    Terre d'Hermes Parfum
    Tom Ford Extreme
    Interlude Man
    Pomelo Paradis
    Hanae Mori H.M. EDT

  18. #18

    Default Re: Amouage Reformulations

    ^really interesting, I have noticed the same thing with other fragrances I own, most notably the one edt, I've had it for 4 years and it's stronger than I've ever smelt

  19. #19

    Default Re: Amouage Reformulations

    I bought a bottle of Interlude Man with the magnetic cap a couple months ago. It's an August 2015 bottle according to the batch code and it has a shorter list of ingredients, making it the newest version from what I've read on here. I also have a decant of Interlude from it's first release. The two aren't as different as I was lead to believe from various comments on this forum and on Fragrantica. However, there is definitely a difference. The original is fuller, smokier, and has a stronger incense throughout the life of the scent. It's also stronger. That's not to say the new version is weak at all. In fact, it's almost unbearably strong. If the current version is a 10/10 in strength, the original is an 11/10. If I smelled either one by itself, I wouldn't be able to tell if it's the new or old. Side by side, I can tell pretty easily. I'd say it's about 90% the same in smell and strength. It lasts all day on me. I think the reformulations get blown out of proportion, but thats just from my experience with vintage Interlude and the newest "weaker" version. I sprayed each one on a sticky note for comparison and one thing to note (besides my terrible handwriting) is that the vintage juice left a much darker blotch on the paper, probably an indication of it's potency. Here are some pics:

    12366320_10200986323456828_8576696921710195508_n.jpg
    12316676_10200986323496829_8002703274220017711_n.jpg
    12366205_10200988589393475_60815879833089873_n.jpg
    12075070_10200988732517053_5808281820063635740_n.jpg
    12310467_10200986493501079_7473096405685498678_n.jpg
    1891075_10201065738442153_2367556556257420815_n.jpg
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

    Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

  20. #20
    Dependent
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    McHenry IL
    Posts
    3,065

    Default Re: Amouage Reformulations

    Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    For Memoir Man and Interlude Man I've found zero difference between the magnetic and the non-magnetic cap versions.

    Can't vouch for the others.

    Have you ever had an amouage change over time? The reason I ask is all my full bottle of memoir smells slightly different from the memoir in a sampler set I picked up. Nothing super dramatic but Memoir is more floral in the sample with a stronger mint with almost no earthy vetiver. My full bottle which is a magnetic cap has vetiver and no floral quality.

  21. #21

    Default Re: Amouage Reformulations

    My newish bottle of Dia Man isn't nearly as rich and fantastic as the vintage, official sample I have. A real letdown. When I wear the vintage version I get lots of compliments from women. The bottle I recently purchased: no compliments, and it seems almost like an entirely different fragrance. Is it due to in-bottle aging, or tragic reformulation? I'm not sure, but I'm pretty bummed that the bottle I bought doesn't even come close to the vintage I have on hand. How sad. Really hope this isn't indicative of a larger slide in quality by Amouage. This, from one of the apparently few guys on BN who like their latest, Sunshine Man.

  22. #22
    Basenotes Institution L'Homme Blanc Individuel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Tic Tac Toto, we're not in Kansas anymore.
    Posts
    14,589
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Amouage Reformulations

    Quote Originally Posted by Tmoran View Post
    Have you ever had an amouage change over time? The reason I ask is all my full bottle of memoir smells slightly different from the memoir in a sampler set I picked up. Nothing super dramatic but Memoir is more floral in the sample with a stronger mint with almost no earthy vetiver. My full bottle which is a magnetic cap has vetiver and no floral quality.
    You just explained my experience with my Reflection Man decant. When I first got it, the vetiver really stood out like a sore thumb in the base. It was almost scratchy in the drydown. But the same decant, a few months later, is so different. The vetiver practically disappears into the blend rather than standing out. It's excellent - but it sure wasn't a few months ago.

    I should add that this is the first time I've ever noticed such a dramatic change in a fragrance before.
    Current Favorites (in no particular order)
    Castile
    Nio
    Endymion
    Royal Oud
    Petit Matin
    Curve
    1725 Casanova
    Green Irish Tweed
    Aqua Universalis
    Reflection Man
    Tabac Rouge
    Prada L'Homme
    Les Exclusifs Eau de Cologne
    Terre d'Hermes Parfum
    Tom Ford Extreme
    Interlude Man
    Pomelo Paradis
    Hanae Mori H.M. EDT

  23. #23

    Default Re: Amouage Reformulations

    I think I saw INCI labels of old and new Opus pictured in some thread before but just cannot find it now. If I remember correct it was Opus VII.

    Has there been a reformulation on it? And is there a way to tell by INCI labels? Didn't old bottles have longer INCI listing? What should Opus VII INCI look like?

    Or am I mixing up things with other Amouages?
    Currently wearing: Interlude Man by Amouage

  24. #24

    Default Re: Amouage Reformulations

    Anyone know anything about the NON MAGNETIC caps for the tester bottles? If what people are saying about the non magnetic caps being the pre reformulated stuff, then aren't ALL the testers non reformulated... which doesnt make sense.

  25. #25

    Default Re: Amouage Reformulations

    Quote Originally Posted by Tmoran View Post
    Have you ever had an amouage change over time? The reason I ask is all my full bottle of memoir smells slightly different from the memoir in a sampler set I picked up. Nothing super dramatic but Memoir is more floral in the sample with a stronger mint with almost no earthy vetiver. My full bottle which is a magnetic cap has vetiver and no floral quality.
    This seems to be whats happening to mine..... I have a bottle of memoir from when it was released and also another sample from around the same time... the one in the bottle seems to be more wooder while the same is more floral...

  26. #26

    Default Re: Amouage Reformulations

    I have a sample of the newer Reflection Man to compare with my vintage. There is a noticeable difference in color. The new juice is clear and the older juice has a tint to it. They both smell nearly identical on paper, with the vintage being fuller. On skin, I can tell more of a difference. So far, the reformulated version is still strong on the paper strip, along with the vintage.

    12511547_10201081291190962_998742395_n.jpg
    Vintage on the left and reformulated on the right.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

    Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

  27. #27

    Default Re: Amouage Reformulations

    Quote Originally Posted by mesaboogie View Post
    I have a sample of the newer Reflection Man to compare with my vintage. There is a noticeable difference in color. The new juice is clear and the older juice has a tint to it. They both smell nearly identical on paper, with the vintage being fuller. On skin, I can tell more of a difference. So far, the reformulated version is still strong on the paper strip, along with the vintage.

    12511547_10201081291190962_998742395_n.jpg
    Vintage on the left and reformulated on the right.
    Thanks mesaboogie - let us know how the reformulated lasted and projected on your skin

  28. #28
    Basenotes Institution L'Homme Blanc Individuel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Tic Tac Toto, we're not in Kansas anymore.
    Posts
    14,589
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Amouage Reformulations

    I've never seen Reflection Man juice that dark amber color before. That's interesting.

    I wonder if fragrances change color over time? I've never noticed such a thing, but I've also never paid attention to it either. I'm definitely not going to suggest Reflection Man hasn't been reformulated. I can only point out how poor my recently decant smelled when I got it, but a few months later it smells fantastic, as if with a bit of time, it came together (especially in the base! The base went from being scratchy and disappointing to being smooth smooth smooth).

    I wish I knew, because I sure do love Amouage, but some of these issues are frustrating. That being said, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a bottle. In fact, I'm tempted to pick up a bottle of Reflection Man. Tempted... oh so tempted!
    Current Favorites (in no particular order)
    Castile
    Nio
    Endymion
    Royal Oud
    Petit Matin
    Curve
    1725 Casanova
    Green Irish Tweed
    Aqua Universalis
    Reflection Man
    Tabac Rouge
    Prada L'Homme
    Les Exclusifs Eau de Cologne
    Terre d'Hermes Parfum
    Tom Ford Extreme
    Interlude Man
    Pomelo Paradis
    Hanae Mori H.M. EDT

  29. #29

    Default Re: Amouage Reformulations

    Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    I mentioned this in the Reflection Man thread, but it's worth repeating. I bought a decant of Reflection Man from a split a few months ago, and I was so disappointed. It smelled a bit harsh, especially in the base. I'd already gone through at least 5ml of Reflection Man in samples, so I'm quite familiar with it. I tried my decant a few times but it just wasn't right. I was disappointed. I put it away and forgot about it.

    This past weekend, I pulled it out again and gave it another shot... and... wow. It was fantastic. I gave it a full wear yesterday and was thrilled.

    It's important to remember that we're all guessing here. When somebody says the magnetic cap means it's reformulated, that person is guessing. Only Amouage knows for sure... but I do have a theory.

    I suspect Amouage may be shipping bottles too soon, before the fragrance has had enough time to fully maturate. It's just a guess, but I know my Reflection Man decant has changed over a period of months. It's significantly smoother now - especially in the drydown. Looking back on it, I think I had the same experience with my bottle of Interlude. I'd swear the scent has changed (for the better) over time, though I'd struggle to explain how. It doesn't seem as loud now. I mean, yeah, it's still the loudest scent I own, but initially it felt nuclear and the transition from the top to the heart felt a bit rocky. Now, it's smooth as silk.

    I have no idea if Reflection Man has been reformulated, but I do know my decant smells fantastic. It's long lasting and marvelously rich. There's a warmth in the base that takes time to reveal itself, but when it does, it's magic. The top is fantastic too. The whole scent is marvelous.
    One reviewer, I believe on Fragrantica, called this phenomenon "olfactory familiarity" when it happened to him. I have found that some notes, accords, or aroma chemicals take some time to get used to, so that they do not seem as harsh, or harsh at all, over time. This is why I have suggested a scent be sampled at least three times with perhaps a month or more between samplings.

  30. #30

    Default Re: Amouage Reformulations

    Quote Originally Posted by ripjean View Post
    Thanks mesaboogie - let us know how the reformulated lasted and projected on your skin
    I will. So far on paper, it's a beast! Over 24 hours later and the paper strip still smells like I just sprayed it on. In comparison, I also sprayed some Jubilation XXV onto a tester strip and it's nowhere near as noticeable.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

    Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock




Similar Threads

  1. Amouage post reformulations
    By rouj in forum General Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 67
    Last Post: 17th March 2016, 09:04 AM
  2. Amouage Opus Reformulations
    By Sniffers in forum General Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 25th October 2015, 02:00 PM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 7th August 2015, 06:41 PM
  4. "IFRA reformulations" versus reformulations for other reasons.
    By Bigsly in forum General Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 16th June 2014, 01:32 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000