Code of Conduct
Just Starting Out Sponsor

Default college student new to frags. All help would be much appreciated!

So I'm a 22 year old college student majoring in psychology. I've recently gotten really interested in how I present myself and wanted to use fragrances as an avenue to facilitate that. I'm not really sure what would be good for my characteristics and personality but I'm 5'9, lean build and have a well kept beard-- I am also middle eastern (egyptian). What would be a good frag for me? I don't really like the old spice scents as I feel like there isn't enough detail in them. I'd like my scent to ideally have high sillage and favorable projection, specially towards women. Thank you!

Edit : wanted to really put emphasis on what I'd like. Ideally its something that would appeal to women and something that can be used frequently. I'm a college student so I have a tight budget but I can afford up to 50-60$. Thank you guys for reading my post. Would really love something with long longevity and great tones (preferably not something watered down like those aquatic smells).

Default Re: college student new to frags. All help would be much appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by andy310 View Post
    So I'm a 22 year old college student majoring in psychology. I've recently gotten really interested in how I present myself and wanted to use fragrances as an avenue to facilitate that. I'm not really sure what would be good for my characteristics and personality but I'm 5'9, lean build and have a well kept beard-- I am also middle eastern (egyptian). What would be a good frag for me? I don't really like the old spice scents as I feel like there isn't enough detail in them. I'd like my scent to ideally have high sillage and favorable projection, specially towards women. Thank you!

Edit : wanted to really put emphasis on what I'd like. Ideally its something that would appeal to women and something that can be used frequently. I'm a college student so I have a tight budget but I can afford up to 50-60$. Thank you guys for reading my post. Would really love something with long longevity and great tones (preferably not something watered down like those aquatic smells).
    It's hard to recommend a fragrance online, since each scent will react differently to one's body composition/chemistry. Go to your local Sephora or dept. store, ask for some samples, spray on your wrist, and go from there. To blind buy, is to gamble. Good luck!

PS. Just say no to "1 Million"
    Currently wearing: Vetiver by Guerlain

Burberry London

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome!

Dior Homme (Intense)

l'Instant de Guerlain (extreme)

Reside in McLean, NYC, Manuel Antonio & Búzios

Quote Originally Posted by krisco22 View Post
    Burberry London

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Another for Burberry London.. Welcome to you Andy!
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Avant Garde

Welcome!

It's always hard to know what a specific woman will like. Tastes vary.

I second the Dior Homme collection: not too heavy, classic, a bit gourmand. For something with a bit of a twist, I'd recommend looking into Bulgari Black, which has an interesting rubber note that works very well.

cacio

Charming
    Confident
    Any perfume

خفف من الحلبه
    for swap/sale:

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

+1 on Dior Homme and Bulgari Black

Also,

Azzaro pour Homme
    Egoiste
    Fahrenheit
    Kouros
    Rive Gauche pour Homme

Solo Loewe and Solo Loewe Intense, Lapidus pour Homme, Caron pour un Homme, ST Dupont pour Homme are usually priced within this budget limits and quite distinctively unique, as well as timelessly classy
    Currently wearing: Black Tag by Zara

Always be smelling

Kouros

Give Fahrenheit a try for sure! its a masterpiece!

Some others within your budget that might suit,
    Van Cleef & Arpels Tsar
    Aramis Calligraphy Rose
    Mont Blanc Starwalker
    Mont Blanc Individuel
    Dsquared Potion
    YSL L'homme
    Currently wearing: Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

I always like to recommend the fragrances by L'Occitane (Eau des Baux in particular) and at Lush (Dirty in particular). They're gorgeous fragrances and incredibly reasonable in price.
    Currently wearing: No. 22 by Chanel

Quote Originally Posted by andy310 View Post

22, college, Egyptian, low budget, good longevity, versatile.

I would guess that oud and woody fragrances are common there so try:

Jean Paul Gaultier Le Male
    Jacques Bogart Silver Scent
    Azzaro Chrome
    Versace Eros

My advice:
    Don't reapply, don't apply to your wrists since you will be rubbing it all over your table when you write, use lotions beforehand because they will improve your fragrances' performance a lot, buy testers (same fragrance but much cheaper).

Sent from my Mi 4i using Tapatalk

Basenotes Member

La nuit de lhomme seems to fit the bill. But if you're really looking for compliments..... perry ellis 360 red and priced at only 20 dollars so you can probably afford to buy another bottle also
    Currently wearing: Uomo by Valentino

Basenotes Member babycarrot5000's Avatar

Welcome! I'm also a young, broke, middle eastern college student. well, my pa's from Lebanon anyway.

I know on men I love anything with strong vetiver, cedar, sandalwood and oud notes in it -- which I think would match you. Something I got a whiff of recently and absolutely adored was Wonderwood by Comme des Garçons.
    Last edited by babycarrot5000; 23rd January 2016 at 08:54 PM.
    Currently wearing: Câline by Jean Patou

The whole Dior Homme line is nice. They're at Sephora. And +1 to Bvlgari Black, if you can find it. I once bought that for a man when we were about your age.
    Also something fun to try is Voyage d'Hermes, if your skin likes it. You won't smell like everyone else.
    In her bottled up is a woman peppery as curry,
    a yam of a woman of butter and brass,
    compounded of acid and sweet like a pineapple,
    like a handgrenade set to explode,
    like goldenrod ready to bloom.

—from "The Woman in the Ordinary" by Marge Piercy
    Currently wearing: Eau Belle by Azzaro

Basenotes Member babycarrot5000's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kotori View Post
    Also something fun to try is Voyage d'Hermes, if your skin likes it. You won't smell like everyone else.
    This fragrance is fantastic!!! I love it and second this recommendation.

By the way, Kotori, Marge Piercy is one of my favorite writers. Nice signature.
    Currently wearing: Câline by Jean Patou