Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Just Starting Out Sponsor

Default Blind buying really that taboo?

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum, even though I've been coming here to read reviews for well over a year. So many times while reading reviews you see the warning from other bn'ers ... DO NOT BLIND BUY.

I have a confession to make and that is ... I've blind bought well over 65% of my wardrobe. Now I get it, some of these frags are not cheap and spending upwards of $150 to $200 dollars only to find out you have a scrubber on your hands would upset anyone. However, isn't that what these forums are for? You have a general sense of what kind of notes you like or don't. I might not be able to pick out some sandalwood from agarwood in a frag, but I know I like sweet, vanilla, fruity, incense based juices. The other day someone recommended that a fellow test Caron Yatagan before blind buying. I repeat, buying a fb of something to find out it sucks is unfortunate... but how much of a loss is a $28 dollar bottle? You don't like it... give it away or throw it out.

I own 37 frags with a bottle of Mancera's Cedrat Boise on the way, bringing me to 38... My only 'regret', and I use the term loosely, was my Bond No. 9 Cooper Square. I don't know what it is about the cognac note that just doesn't sit well with me. That being said, I think blind buying is part of what frag heads do... and honestly, more often than not in my case. You buy based upon reviews and let's face it, you also buy on your experience with a given fragrance house. Would I blind buy a $750 flacon of Spice and Wood, probably not. I have on the other hand blind bought both of my Amouage's and they're both amazing. So is it really that big a deal to blind buy more often than not?

Default Re: Blind buying really that taboo?

Everybody does it.

When someone on basenotes says "do not blind buy" what they really mean is "it is sensible advice to advise others not to blind buy, I however trust my judgement and am willing to take some risks so I will blind buy myself."

I think if you are a fragrance collector and buy and sell fragrances a lot anyway it's fairly easy to shift on a bottle that you don't want and also you are more comfortable with spending money and taking the risks anyway. It's part of the hobby.

Blind buying is more risky for a newbie getting in to the hobby as it is easy to get carried away early on and discouraged if you blow money on something you don't like, eg the keen 18 year old who discovers Luca Turin's book and basenotes and decides to blind buy Habit Rouge.
    Currently wearing: Pour Un Homme by Caron

Wearing Perfume Right Now

I would sample as much as possible before buying full bottles, so your sense of smell has more influence in what you eventually buy, and receiving a package of samples is a thrill.
    Currently wearing: Ho Hang Club by Balenciaga

In fact, blind buying is, on an average, more frequent here than first expected. And although often advised against, more than anything a "mixed bag", "trial and error" process in terms of the final outcome.

When people specifically mention that in a review, I think they're generally implying that the scent is either a very polarizing one ... or that it doesn't actually smell the way you would expect it to, based upon the notes.

Reside in McLean, NYC, Manuel Antonio & Búzios

Quote Originally Posted by jvazquez76 View Post
    So is it really that big a deal to blind buy more often than not?
    For some yes, for others, no. Just depends on the individual.
    Last edited by hednic; 10th January 2016 at 09:32 PM.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

"Do not blind buy" is one of the few real good tips you could get on these websites...

But it´s only advice...

Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post
    I would sample as much as possible before buying full bottles, so your sense of smell has more influence in what you eventually buy, and receiving a package of samples is a thrill.
    I have purchased sample sets from LuckyScent in the past and the one thing I have to say is, it does introduce your nose to stuff you might not have bought otherwise. I've bought two fbs based upon that sample set. My Sushi Imperiale and LADDM by Tauer were part of my sample set. I haven't pulled the trigger on any by Killian yet, but I did get a sample of Back to Black and it's been on my radar ever since. I'm not saying there's not a strong case for sampling just that if you have an idea of the notes you prefer and you are collecting and this is a hobby, why not blind buy?

Wearing Perfume Right Now

I have purchased sample sets from LuckyScent in the past and the one thing I have to say is, it does introduce your nose to stuff you might not have bought otherwise. I've bought two fbs based upon that sample set. My Sushi Imperiale and LADDM by Tauer were part of my sample set. I haven't pulled the trigger on any by Killian yet, but I did get a sample of Back to Black and it's been on my radar ever since. I'm not saying there's not a strong case for sampling just that if you have an idea of the notes you prefer and you are collecting and this is a hobby, why not blind buy?
    In your case blind buying may work fairly well. It sounds like you're open to a wide range. My mindset is always around trying to find the elusive juice that hits the spot. When I order 7 or 8 samples, I'll often only like one of them; and I may have to go through three or four sample orders like that before finding something I like enough to wear all the time.

Blind buying may be like shooting a three-pointer in basketball, even when the path to the basket is wide open, and it's an 8-foot goal, and you can dunk.

You know you can crush the dunk uncontested 10 times out of 10. You own it. But if you're nailing the three pointers, it's sort of hard to argue.
    Last edited by Bavard; 11th January 2016 at 12:10 AM.
    Currently wearing: Ho Hang Club by Balenciaga

Valid point.
    Quote Originally Posted by naylor View Post
    When people specifically mention that in a review, I think they're generally implying that the scent is either a very polarizing one ... or that it doesn't actually smell the way you would expect it to, based upon the notes.

It's a standard clause we have to include so you don't try to hold us liable for any unsuccessful purchases of fragrances we suggest.
    We all blind buy and there are often mistakes or regrets. We just have to be adult about it and take responsibility for the risks we expose ourselves to and own up to the fact that there's something thrilling about a blind buy.

Having said that, always sample first
    Last edited by Darjeeling; 11th January 2016 at 04:41 AM.
    Touched by his noodly appendage 😇

Darjeeling.... the best part of your post was the quote in your footer. You're a Lebowski, Lebwoski! LOL

I guess there are several kinds of BN'ers... there are the wearers and then there are the collectors who view this as a hobby. I think the collectors are the ones more inclined to take risks. I do have some redundancy in my wardrobe but if it's a note I like then it's never a fail. Incense Flash has a lot of LADDM to it, but the dry down is different. The Incense Flash was a blind buy based upon my love of LADDM. As I said in my OP, I'm a habitual blind buyer and that's likely not going to change.

Missing Oakmoss

There aren't many fragrances that are truly awful - in fact, I can't think of any that actually smell bad, even though they might not live up to their hype (in my opinion). If you're familiar with basic fragrance categories and read up on the scents you're interested in purchasing (notes, reviews, blogs, etc.), it can be very exciting and rewarding to blind-buy. I do it all the time. It's helpful to set a spending limit and prioritize according to criteria that reflect your lifestyle and tastes.

For me i wont blind buy things that are pricey but the more affordable stuff i could live with not liking. But most frags are fine (unless you get somthing too cheap or too. "Unique")

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Yes.

A bit like fetish magazines.

I try to swap the blind buys I don't like, and yeah I have some in my wardrobe I don't like. However, I don't throw them away, that's a waste of money

blind buying is risky and should be done at your own discretion, but for some of us, we don't have much options.
    Last edited by The Islands; 11th January 2016 at 04:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Islands View Post
    I try to swap the blind buys I don't like, and yeah I have some in my wardrobe I don't like. However, I don't throw them away, that's a waste of money

blind buying is risky and should be done at your own discretion, but for some of us, we don't have much options.
    That's exactly what I'm trying to do with my BN9 Cooper Square. The bottle is at 95%+ w/box. The challenge here is getting folks to swap or even sell to a noob. But like I said there is little regret. It's just a slight inconvenience when you buy something you might want to trade later on, but it also helps you learn what notes to stay away from.

Basenotes Junkie

I blind buy most (80%) of my fragrances. I use the Guide by Luca and Tania, and focus primarily on purchasing the fragrances they rate as 4 and 5 stars. It's partly about enjoying the fragrances, and partly about educating my nose.

My few blind buys have been successful. On the other hand, I have a few scents I've sampled numerous times or gone through a decant before buying a full bottle and the. Lost interest in once I have bought the full bottle, so it's not as if sampling is a true guarantee of success or that your tastes won't change or you'll just lose interest and focus on chasing the next interesting scent.
    Touched by his noodly appendage 😇

I think Do not buy blind is a very good advice, especially for someone new to fragrances. But most of us here do not obey and still buy blind, some more some less.
    When I was relatively new to the niche fragrances, I bought a couple blind based on the notes and they were all a total miss. After that, I've had a pretty long period without any blind buys. However, lately I've had a couple of very succesful ones and now I'm not so against it.
    But you should really know your tastes well, read the notes and reviews carefully, and with a little luck, chances are pretty good.
    When I plan a blind buy, I tend to ask for opinion here and I get great advice!
    Mi sagli smo glave, u strahu da biće još gore...i biće, jer sagli smo glave...a ljubav živi...
    Currently wearing: Iris Ganache by Guerlain

Noob here too, but I find my interest in blind buying increases with the less time I have. If work and home is busy and I can't go and try a bunch of fragrances at the fragrance stores near me, I get frustrated. But I still want to keep learning and trying things I might like....so I read basenotes threads and play the "will I blind buy or won't I game"....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Oc8EZcvGG8

Since I don't skydive or bungee jump off bridges, blind buying gives me the thrills I seek. Instead of an instant rush of endorphins, it's like I get an IV drip time release thrill which culminates in the opening of the package and first spritz.
    It is true that fish stink. It is also true that the river is
    beautiful. But the river would be beautiful despite the fish. What
    is noxious remains so.

That is not to say that sh*t is not useful when buried in the wheat
    field. Bread made from the field tastes sweet, wine from the arbor
    sweetest. All things serve a purpose, but that is no reason to
    glorify what is abominable. A man must still watch where he walks
    and keep his sandals clean.
    c.21 of the Egyptian Book of the Dead, Trans: Normandi Ellis

I tend to blind buy a lot of cheaper things ($20-$50), and occasionally blind buy up to around $120, after which my gambling tapers off. If you read enough great writers/reviews you have a pretty good idea of what is great and worth it and what is not. If you really do buy "blind", well then you have no one else to blame but yourself anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarce View Post
    I tend to blind buy a lot of cheaper things ($20-$50), and occasionally blind buy up to around $120, after which my gambling tapers off. If you read enough great writers/reviews you have a pretty good idea of what is great and worth it and what is not. If you really do buy "blind", well then you have no one else to blame but yourself anyway.
    I read so many great reviews on here and other forums, and watched a ton of videos on the Amouage house for example that I blind bought Interlude / Jub XXV. No regrets at all and those were both over $150. I had a Nordstrom note burning a hole in my pocket so I blind bought Guerlain's Tonka Imperial, which has great reviews. To me it's a gorgeous scent but at $260 I was hoping the thing had more cojones to it. Again, no regret here... I just wish more of the pricey juices performed like TFTV for example. Not everyone wears fragrance to be noticed but spending nearly 300 bux for a skin scent is a bit disappointing.

Basenotes Member

Every fragrances I own right now has been blind purchased....I guess I'm really a lucky SOB cause I love every of them ...

I used to blind buy in past and I still do it sometimes now when there is no access to a sample. I think it is better for one to sample before buying. I regret buying clinique happy for men other than that everything is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    Yes.

A bit like fetish magazines.
    I too never blind buy my fetish magazines

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

It's not taboo if you've got the money and it doesn't hurt.

I routinely blind buy cheap fragrances because I'm interested and I can afford it.

I'd never blind buy $100+ fragrance though. It's too easy to get a sample and too many times niche is a letdown.

I'm actually considering blind buying Lush's Breath of God... that's a cheapie and won't hurt me one way or the other. I read it's uber bizarre but the dry down is supposed to be good. On the fence. I count my lucky stars that I have the income to buy most frags I like or want to get my hands on. There's always the guilt of spending 200+ on a bottle of parfum but it's an investment as well. I kicked my purchasing into high gear from the middle of last year on. I'm excited to think of where my collection will be at this time next year. Now, I'm starting to worry about storage... but we'll cross that bridge soon enough.

I'm actually considering blind buying Lush's Breath of God... that's a cheapie and won't hurt me one way or the other. I read it's uber bizarre but the dry down is supposed to be good. On the fence. I count my lucky stars that I have the income to buy most frags I like or want to get my hands on. There's always the guilt of spending 200+ on a bottle of parfum but it's an investment as well. I kicked my purchasing into high gear from the middle of last year on. I'm excited to think of where my collection will be at this time next year. Now, I'm starting to worry about storage... but we'll cross that bridge soon enough.
    Not much of a risk at all, especially since you can buy the smaller 10ml bottles for about $15.

Possibly one of the least expensive 5 star perfumes in the Luca Turin/Tania Sanchez book. I wouldn't go that far, but after the first 30 minutes or so of weirdness and wondering what the hell is going on it does settle down to something quite nice indeed.