Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Default Re: Vintage Mysore sandalwood oil source?

If I am correct, the year is referring to the storage time after distillation, similar to wine. In your case will be 16yrs. Actually the age of the trees is more important as it determine the quality of the oil. Think I read in a report the amount of oil and sanatol is proportional to the age of the tree.

Recluse

One more source found, has anyone tried this one?

http://joannebassett.com/natural_per...FYMbHwodqb4F_A

Also beta santalol specifically increases in older trees. Oil from younger wood will be higher in alpha santalol which has a less interesting scent.

Recluse

Question, do all Vintage Mysore Sandalwood Oils smell the same? I heard of some being smokey, or like un-ripe geen bananas.
    Seriously, I'm glad of this thread because now many sellers items seem somewhat questionable.

For Sandalwood Oil, I think this will be a nice substitute, sounds really nice and product sounds like it will be exactly as stated, with no doubts.

https://pellwall.com/product/sandalwood-blend/

I thought he was out, but apparently he has more. For Century Old Mysore check this link:
    https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/281942209838
    I got it, it's authentic in my opinion. Since the oil was encapsulated it stayed quite luquid, not thick. There is a very slight smokiness which dissipates, not very much top and middle notes, mainly base. It's sort of rich but not rich enough if it were distilled by a modern artisan using choice heartwood. I would say a mediocre distillation of authentic Mysore, but aged for a super long time, so Yes, it's very satisfying. Longevity did not increase with age unfortunately. Extracting is tricky because the capsules are brittle. I took a 2ml plastic pipette, cut the tip down to an inch and cut the bulbous end at its very edge/end forming a funnel, placed the funnel over a 1/4 tola bottle, then dropped capsules in one at a time, then crushing it with a pliers while pinching the open part together to prevent oil from escaping, I just left the broken pieces inside the funnel forcing another capsule &another, the broken pieces actually filtered each other from slipping through into the bottle. The oil has an amber color.

- - - Updated - - -

Attachment 47228

It's all about the wood

Thought I should let everyone know that I've tried Rising Phoenix's top tier Mysore oil, and it's really very good indeed. The scent profile is very close to heated Shoyeido sandalwood chips, which are guaranteed premium Mysore wood.

I'm one very satisfied customer!

Quote Originally Posted by ListensClosely View Post
    Thought I should let everyone know that I've tried Rising Phoenix's top tier Mysore oil, and it's really very good indeed. The scent profile is very close to heated Shoyeido sandalwood chips, which are guaranteed premium Mysore wood.

I'm one very satisfied customer!
    Did you try his Special Reserve (SR) or the Deep and Butter oil? I had tried his Special Reserve and definitely a great oil at the price point for future aging. Still comparing to Neeshee's oil, it just lack that richness and body depth found in a vintage oil. Not surprising as the SR is distilled early 2015. But one can only imagine the quality down the years as it age nicely with time!

There is zest and spice in RP oil that awakens your olfactory senses. It is a oil that is very vibrant and full of life, breathing on your face like a summer breeze on the beach. Yet its older brethren Neeshee's one has a soothing and calming temperament, akin to taking a relaxing stroll in the park during autumn.

At JK price point, great recommendation to buy!

@Oudamberlove, I've smelled it as well and yep its authentic.
    It reminds me a lot of Dabur's

@LC, I might actually be distilling some Chinese bead-grade Laoshan Mysore or Yamadamatsu Kodai Mysore sandalwood, when you swing by my place (if my current naughty New Guinea distillation is over by then!)
    Even if its not oil collection time, maybe we could clink cups of sandalwood hydrosol. ; )
    (btw, sandalwood hydrosol makes you woozy, just like incense-grade agarwood hydrosol. I'm saving some New Guinea hydrosol as well in case you're curious to try it. Drinking water + food-grade copper = drink away without any worries!)

It's all about the wood

@oud_learner
    It was the special reserve.
    I got a sample of the deep & buttery one as well but it's not quite there in terms of Mysore profile. It's actually quite pungent, like an agarwood oil. When I first smelt it, I couldn't get the idea of barny Thai oud out of my head. For that reason, it also got me thinking about 'Rakoku', which the Japanese describe as having a pungent character similar to sandalwood, despite being agarwood.
    It's definitely sandalwood oil though, and has a lot more presence/projection than the Special Reserve.
    For me though, it's all about the Special Reserve. I'm glad I got two bottles.

@TahaSyed
    I am continuing to hope that circumstances conspire to bring us together in KL. That hydrosol sounds like a rare experience. I hope I get to try it!

@taha save some of that Mysore oil for me!

Banned

Lc it's great to hear you enjoy RP sandalwood JK has so many different varieties of mysore ,at least 4 or 5, then the 80s mysore deer musk which will blow your mind

Has anyone tried Rising Phoenix's Mysore.
    https://www.etsy.com/listing/2573468...home_active_23

- - - Updated - - -

Lol I guess I did not read the last few posts
    I received a sample with an oud purchase. A while back before he listed Sandalwood on etsy. I enjoyed it more than any of the few other Sandalwoods that I have.
    I wish I new which of the oils it was.
    Last edited by gn?; 22nd February 2016 at 01:53 PM.

Out of the 4 oils listed, I had tried Special Reserve, the same as LC and we both agree it was a great oil. Will be trying out the Deep and Buttery soon to see the difference.

Just drop JK a msg and he should be able to advise you better. A great chap to talk to.

Any chance anyone is willing to share a sample vial of Neeshee's (Oud Impressions) Aged Mysore Sandalwood Oil, of course with a price. I have tried a few different sandalwood oils and wanted to try this one as well before I commit to the full bottle as it is quite expensive for me at this moment. So, please pm me if you can?

Thanks in Advance.

Quote Originally Posted by shoguns2480 View Post
    Lc it's great to hear you enjoy RP sandalwood JK has so many different varieties of mysore ,at least 4 or 5, then the 80s mysore deer musk which will blow your mind
    shoguns, which deer musk/sandalwood version did you get? He has the Pure and Uncensored, 50-50, and 33-66?

Quote Originally Posted by ListensClosely View Post
    @oud_learner
    It was the special reserve.
    I got a sample of the deep & buttery one as well but it's not quite there in terms of Mysore profile. It's actually quite pungent, like an agarwood oil. When I first smelt it, I couldn't get the idea of barny Thai oud out of my head. For that reason, it also got me thinking about 'Rakoku', which the Japanese describe as having a pungent character similar to sandalwood, despite being agarwood.
    It's definitely sandalwood oil though, and has a lot more presence/projection than the Special Reserve.
    For me though, it's all about the Special Reserve...
    Wow I just tried the Deep and Buttery, LC was right about the pungent scent akin to that of agarwood oil. One of the most forceful sandalwood in terms of its presence. Not my cup of tea though...cutting edge? Yes. Classical? Not really.

How do you reconcile a strange note like that with the supposed authenticity of the oil? I haven't smelled it but from what you are describing it doesn't sound like authentic sandalwood.

It's all about the wood

@Mr.P
    It does definitely smell of sandalwood; the note's there, clear as a bell. However, if I had been given this oil 'blind' then I'm pretty sure I would have declared it a sandalwood oil with a dash of cultivated barnyard Thai oud oil. Personally, albeit with my limited knowledge, I'm happy to believe that it's pure Sandalwood oil. JK, with his extensive experience of sandalwood, stands by the full range he offers.
    Accepting that it's pure Mysore sandalwood, some novel and interventionist distillation techniques must have been used to achieve the result.

Banned

I would have to agree with LC, JKs mysores , and all RP products in general that I have tried (I have purchased several dozen and sampled probably twice that) and I can say without a shadow of a doubt that his products are consistently of the highest quality, without a doubt authentic , and at very very competitive price points. I'd be happy to share samples with anyone who has any doubt about the afformentioned statements so they can let they're nose be the judge!

BIG THANKS to all participants in this thread for enlightening me to JK's Special Reserve! I bought a bottle based on your reviews/comments and all I can say is WOW! Can't add anything that hasn't been said already. Wonderful oil indeed. Also, thanks to shoguns for the mention of the Musk/Sandal attar JK has. This is incredible! I can't stop wearing it!
    Last edited by jamesp; 2nd March 2016 at 06:13 PM.

Banned

Glad to hear I was able to help!!

Basenotes Member

Must agree, the special reserve and perhaps even more so the deep and buttery from JK are the best mysore I have come across....particularly for the price. It also helps knowing that this is an area of particular expertise for him. Cant go wrong

Got a sample of Indonesian sandalwood from white lotus aromatics. It is not as nice as the last batch they carried - has a mild scent that reminds me of some Sri Lanka sandalwood I smelled a couple of years ago. it is quite viscous and has a more pronounced yellow hue than I have seen in typical Santalum album oils. I would never have guessed this was of Indonesian origin!

Update:

I just applied a thicker swipe of this oil and it smells a little nicer. It really reminds me of oils I have been told are Sri Lankan or Indian sandalwood more than Indonesian. It does not have the rich buttery creaminess of older oils but it has a nice fresh woody twang. If I had to guess I would say maybe distilled from young or cultivated trees? This is just a guess but it has a scent that resembles a handful of recent sandalwoods I have smelled and smells less likely the oils that were available 15 years ago.
    Last edited by Mr.P; 11th March 2016 at 04:20 AM.

Good evening ! I am new Travel here ! I found myself here, looking for information on , Mysore sandalwood government , which I found in my house ! The bottle must have at least 35 years ....... contains about 15 ml , it is still sealed !!! What it might be ? I noticed now that it reads 25 grams , you can indicate that 25 grams ? Thanks for the informations 13042016-P4130155.jpg 13042016-P4130158.jpg13042016-P4130161.jpg
    Last edited by rednaxela1978; 13th April 2016 at 07:17 PM.

That would be a nice find if it's real! I have seen so many of these bottles with fake sandalwood in them these days. Have you opened it and taken a sniff? That would be quite precious if it actually contains sandalwood...

I have about 10 good sandalwood oils in my collection. They have been aging for 10-15 years. None have darkened with age. In general, the better oils are quite pale, while those that are darker yellow are of poorer quality. I think however that some very fine oils can be quite distinctly yellowish.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.P View Post
    That would be a nice find if it's real! I have seen so many of these bottles with fake sandalwood in them these days. Have you opened it and taken a sniff? That would be quite precious if it actually contains sandalwood...

Of course I understand your doubts ! I can say this , this bottle is in my memory , at least 25 years , is still Presumably older , my father often worked in those areas , in the years 70s 80s , I think it certainly is at least 30 years old .... .in those years there were already false for these products ? is sealed and I have a little ' afraid to open it , I would not deteriorate it , or drop a bit ' cork inside , the cap seems a bit ' delicate ..... do you advise to do ? Thanks for the help !

Quote Originally Posted by rednaxela1978 View Post
    Of course I understand your doubts ! I can say this , this bottle is in my memory , at least 25 years , is still Presumably older , my father often worked in those areas , in the years 70s 80s , I think it certainly is at least 30 years old .... .in those years there were already false for these products ? is sealed and I have a little ' afraid to open it , I would not deteriorate it , or drop a bit ' cork inside , the cap seems a bit ' delicate ..... do you advise to do ? Thanks for the help !
    Opening it is the only way to determine if it's still in good shape, if it is it will be very valuable. It says 25g which is probably around 30 mL...

It might be unavoidable to get some pieces of cork in the bottle but I doubt that's a problem.

Basenotes Institution

Great thread!
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Banned

I have to say, at the cost of sounding the cynic, several unopened bottles popping up here and there by folks with little or no time on the board or reviewed seem very coincidental. I'm not saying anything about the oil in question , and would be happy to do a through review of the oil and possibly purchase it myself, but something tells me, as with the last few times, the bottle will remain sealed and I will remain suspect of the oil....by all means prove me wrong I sincerely hope you do as I would be that much more interested of the sandalwood oils presented as if from antiquity. To date I have personally bought two" 30 and 40 year old bottles " and when I open them do you know what was inside ? Baby oil! And the other one some horribly adultererd version on sandalwood.

I must add that pending ALS review perhaps I was too hasty in my cynicism, but I contend, the appropriate thing to do, for the community is to open the bottle and sell by 3g quarter tola. May take a little longer but this avoids any issue with big investment into potential non my sore oil and if it's real many members of the bn community can enjoy it rather than one wealthy person. That's my 2 cents.
    Last edited by shoguns2480; 14th April 2016 at 02:49 PM.