Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Re: Vintage Mysore sandalwood oil source?

You could try puncturing the bottom of the flask and decanting into a glass bottle (assuming you want to open it and don't want to risk the cork).

I completely understand your concerns ! I myself would have doubts , to spend some money without any guarantee , ...... I think aspring , from 3ml with a syringe , and will check the content! I'll keep you up-to-date !

Anyone try the ajmal "sandalia khas" Mysore sandalwood oil? This real or is it a perfume / attar / mukhallat? Thanks.

I bought a 1ml sample vial of it from Zahras. There's some Sandalwood in it, but not much. It's more synthetic than natural but smells pleasant. The thing is, I don't see a use for it. If you want a Sandalwood oil, this won't do.... want a Sandalwood perfume, there are much better ones out there.... how about a massage oil, make your own....see what I mean.

I have some good heartwood slabs I bought from yamada matsu in 2001. They do not seem any darker to me than the day I bought them. They were quite dark to begin with - a rich warm brown color.

Quote Originally Posted by Oudamberlove View Post
    I bought a 1ml sample vial of it from Zahras. There's some Sandalwood in it, but not much. It's more synthetic than natural but smells pleasant. The thing is, I don't see a use for it. If you want a Sandalwood oil, this won't do.... want a Sandalwood perfume, there are much better ones out there.... how about a massage oil, make your own....see what I mean.
    tried it from the Ajmal boutique in Dubai, although very cheap price, definitely doesn't smell like pure sandalwood oil

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.P View Post
    I have some good heartwood slabs I bought from yamada matsu in 2001. They do not seem any darker to me than the day I bought them. They were quite dark to begin with - a rich warm brown color.
    Mr.P, can you please tell me - is it the log type or the large sinking grade flat slabs? If its flat slabs, it may very well be the same batch I had gotten as well. Do you remember the batch number for it? A couple people asked me about the batch number for the one I got, but I don't remember it. It seems they don't sell the slabs and logs any more (maybe they do still have them in their Osaka warehouse though, and I know 2 BNers are heading there very soon).
    I'd appreciate your help, thanks!

These are large cross-sections of heartwood maybe 6"-7" diameter. I don't recall anything about sinking grade (I wasn't aware that term even applies to sandalwood - isn't that an agarwood thing?). At the time everything was in Japanese - so I don't know anything about batch numbers. It was just the top sandalwood they were selling at the time.

Ah yes, so I thought! Thanks for confirming.

Mine came with a bunch of Japanese text as well which I couldn't understand, so I just threw it all away. I'm only guessing, but maybe the batch number was stated there. I only found out in the past few years that YM is very good at keeping batch numbers. Ah well!

Yes, 'sinking grade' is better known in the oud world, but its a phenomenon that occurs in some really really old sandalwood from the good old days as well, at least that's what I've found. Any way, I didn't even know that a lot of my favourite old batches sank until I crushed up one batch and dunked it in water. Which led me to check some of my other batches, and lo and behold I found that the ones I liked the most all sank (mostly or fully).

Quote Originally Posted by syed-khadin View Post
    thank you for your reply mr.p i meant if the actual wood darkens with age? FROM BEING CREAMY YELLLOWY FROM FRESH TO GETTING DARKER IN SHADES IF THOSE ARE THE RIGHT WORDS

apologies for the caps
    you raise a very good question... maybe it does, but its so slow that you might not be able to see it changing that obviously..

in nature... the sandalwood tree that is young and nubile produces quite many "precursors"... terpenic molecules... and then at the right age the oil appears... and as the tree grows outwards.. (the region of growth is at the cambium region, i.e. the xylem is pushed towards the centre of the tree.. the phloems are pushed outwards to the outside).. materials are pushed...crushed towards the centre of the tree as the tree grows... and the heartwood starts forming... it starts off being pale.. little oil content.. and everything becomes darker.. stickier... and eventually you will find that some of these oils either crosslink/bind to each other at a molecular level.. the volatility changes.

if you pull the terpenic fraction of sandalwood from younger to mid age woods you will have a really clear almost colorless liquid. hydrodistillation of the oils (which is capped by the water temperature), will pull only volatiles that are released at these temperatures, you will get a pale yellow to mild yellow oil (of moderate yield). if you use co2 or other methods on old woods, it sucks out all the resin and you will get a dark reddish brown sticky liquid .......

- - - Updated - - -

These are large cross-sections of heartwood maybe 6"-7" diameter. I don't recall anything about sinking grade (I wasn't aware that term even applies to sandalwood - isn't that an agarwood thing?). At the time everything was in Japanese - so I don't know anything about batch numbers. It was just the top sandalwood they were selling at the time.
    for sandalwood sinking grade.. it was some marketing that was done in china to inflate the value of sandalwood... but the old timers always knew that sandalwood heartwood can sink, and the best ones for carving sometimes have a bit of dark reddish brown streaks that may be mis-interpreted as black streaks.

if you take it to microscopy, you can find lots of yellow, reddish jelly like streaks in good sandalwood, some of them even towards reddish brown.. its just some of the "jellyfication" that are going on in the oil ducts or included phloems... and this is also seen in decent quality agarwood, a combination of filled oil ducts and filled resin ducts..

knowing that you're a sandalwood lover... may I offer to send you a sample?

Taha - not sure that I can confirm anything. The sandalwood slabs did not come with any accompanying text, etc.. Just a couple of letters designating a grade on the invoice, which was all in Japanese. I believe it was "SX" grade. I still have the invoice somewhere. Had to have a friend who spoke Japanese take care of the order. They didn't have an English web presence back then.

I have a mason jar full of those sandalwood slabs - I'm afraid to burn them because I don't know if they are replaceable at this point. Glad I got them when I did. I try to keep the bottle sealed and in the dark so they stay fresh.

I got a bunch of stuff from Yamada Matsu with that order: SA and AA aloes wood logs, granules and powder; borneol, Kunroku, benzoin, spikenard, patchouli, galangal, myrrh, haisoko, reiryoko. I try mixing up incense every once in a while. Some of it smells halfway decent... Wish I was in Singapore so I could learn from kyarazen!
    Last edited by Mr.P; 16th April 2016 at 09:40 PM.

Taha - not sure that I can confirm anything. The sandalwood slabs did not come with any accompanying text, etc.. Just a couple of letters designating a grade on the invoice, which was all in Japanese. I believe it was "SX" grade. I still have the invoice somewhere. Had to have a friend who spoke Japanese take care of the order. They didn't have an English web presence back then.

I have a mason jar full of those sandalwood slabs - I'm afraid to burn them because I don't know if they are replaceable at this point. Glad I got them when I did. I try to keep the bottle sealed and in the dark so they stay fresh.

I got a bunch of stuff - SA and AA aloes wood logs, granules and powder; borneol, Kunroku, benzoin, spikenard, patchouli, galangal, myrrh, haisoko, reiryoko. I try mixing up incense every once in a while. Some of it smells halfway decent... Wish I was in Singapore so I could learn from kyarazen!
    I don't think i'm able to consider myself a "teacher" although I do conduct lessons/courses locally.. I still prefer everything to be a form of dialogue and exchange if possible, there are very many more things that you and many other esteemed members have that I'm all interested to learn from.

i'm half wishing that incense making will become part and parcel of the hobby for many fragrance lovers. i've been sending incenses that i made, for little contests in China, just to gauge how our directions and olfactory preferences measure up to the preferences of different communities and the various artisans. whilst i'm in some way glad that i've managed to finish off at the top of an aloeswood/sandalwood stick contest (by a mere 3 points from the other taiwanese contender!).. and also in a blended incense contest.. from the appreciation of the other sticks by the competitors I had learnt tremendously. I'm hoping that some day such a "contest" can be organized on an international context!

better for me to get back on topic before the thread constables arrive!

Well, I am not surprised to hear your incense got good reviews - you seem to take the craft seriously!

By the way, as far as I know Yamada Matsu did not have any reference to sinking sandalwood when we ordered it. I would have remembered this since I am a little obsessive with this kind of detail - I can't read the Japanese but the person who helped me order it did and we were pretty detailed in reviewing the info. they had about the specifications of the wood, etc..

As to staying "on topic": in my opinion (which moderators and others likely do not share) fragmenting this group into a bunch of specific, different threads is a step in the wrong direction and is degrading the quality of the experience here. I personally liked the open / relaxed / rambling dialog and I liked not having to click on 7 different links to catch up and having to post in different areas depending on what is on my mind at the moment. Not a big deal - I can live with this change - but I don;t really care for it.

Yes Mr.P, sometimes thoughts not directly related to the thread pop-up and are worth making mention-of without creating sloughs of threads to cover it. Besides, we have been exposed to some Major Hijacking lately. I'm sure we realize what's tolerable by now. And like you said, the quality of the experience covers those off-topic tidbits.

" if you use co2 or other methods on old woods, it sucks out all the resin and you will get a dark reddish brown sticky liquid ......."

I really love the CO2 oils. They are not really traditional smelling (as in a direct substitute for steam or hydrodistilled sandalwood) but they are in some ways more satisfying replications of the scent of the wood. This has come up here before but the select and total extracts are quite nice in their own unique ways. Haven't seen any CO2 oils for sale from my trusted suppliers in years...

I've tried blending the co2 oils with distilled oils to try to get a "perfect" impression of sandalwood but for some reason, to me, the blends have always come out smelling less interesting than any of the oils by themselves.

A while back I tried making a butane extraction of sandalwood powder - it produced very little oil but it was one of the nicest sandalwood oils I have smelled. I got maybe 0.2 g from about 50g of sandalwood powder.
    Last edited by Mr.P; 17th April 2016 at 04:29 PM.

Top layer: Blue Lotus Absolute, bottom layer: Santal Midy Mysore. To be "Shaken not Stirred".
    This is a remake. The first batch I made was with a young Sandalwood from Essential Oil Company (RK&Sons) along with my first Blue Lotus absolute. This new remake contains the far richer Santal Midy with a newer and better batch of Blue Lotus absolute. The first batch is 2 years old and still nice, but this second batch already smells better, with the Sandalwood more pronounced. I have always been modest with my comments about Santal Midy. But in reality it rocks! Hasn't anyone other than Mr. T. Syed try Santal Midy? Care to comment on it?
    image.jpg

Did a board member win this? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Myso...vip=true&rt=nc
    I was outbid
    It would be interesting to know if it was legitimate 80 yr old OIL.

It's a good thing that the seller accepts returns. Because at around 2 inches, that looks like a tiny bit of Mysore.

Whoah - that is a tiny bottle... 5 ml or 10 ml I'd guess.
    Last edited by Mr.P; 20th April 2016 at 12:54 AM.

With water 1g = 1mL and oil is lighter than water by a bit...

Nevermind... 40g includes the bottle.
    Last edited by Dorje123; 20th April 2016 at 03:14 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Safiy View Post
    http://www.profumo.it/perfume/prodotto.asp?pid=5523 Profumo is a member here and he has the real deal. I own the perfume myself. He has 11 and 23 year old essential oil and it is indeed expensive. $120 and $160 per gr (around 1 ml) but it's authentic. A few other Basenotes members can vouch for that also.
    I would love to hear from someone who has bought the 23 year old oil.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by hasans1412 View Post
    Any chance anyone is willing to share a sample vial of Neeshee's (Oud Impressions) Aged Mysore Sandalwood Oil, of course with a price. I have tried a few different sandalwood oils and wanted to try this one as well before I commit to the full bottle as it is quite expensive for me at this moment. So, please pm me if you can?

Thanks in Advance.
    What SIZE is the Mysore Sandalwood that Oud Impressions sells (it's now $250)? Is it a 5 ml bottle? Or less?
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle
    Currently wearing: Diorella by Christian Dior

@mikeperez23 I think it's still 3ml but price may have just went up. There is one bottle left in etsy shop which is still selling at around $200 by him. Anyways, I did manage to get some of his oil...

Safiy and Mike, I find the profumo 23yr old Mysore excellent! Its extremely clean, creamy, lasts for hours.

Basenotes Institution

Thanks hasans1412, I thought it might be a 3 ml...it's weird how on the etsy shop & on his own website he doesn't list the ml size. Sort of strange.

jamesp - sounds wonderful. Do you wear it diluted a carrier oil? Or do you apply it full strength? My own vintage Mysore that I own I have worn mixed with fragrance free body lotion and diluted in Everclear also (let it 'stew' for 3 months before I wore it).
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Hey Mike! I wear it full strength. I love the smell of it. I have mixed it with a couple of ouds I have, and also a musk and it does add incredible depth!

Basenotes Junkie

Any one try Sri Lanka sandalwood oil and what different between Sri Lanka and Mysore ? I think now very hard to find wild Mysore but in Sri Lanka wild still getting high quality sandalwood oil ...

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by jamesp View Post
    Hey Mike! I wear it full strength. I love the smell of it. I have mixed it with a couple of ouds I have, and also a musk and it does add incredible depth!
    What a hedonist! lmao. ((jealous))
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 4th May 2016 at 12:49 AM.

-- Eckhart Tolle

Banned

I find that more and more I enjoy my vintage mysores on its own. Making a tinc will definitely open it up but I'm not a big fan of tincture's on my skin. Also I find personally that these oils are just so precious to me I would not want to lose one bit of nuance to an attar, unless of course I'm either making a bespoke attar that someone requests. The only 2 exception's are musk and ambergris, but a strong oud will 9/10 just eviscerate the subtle nuances of a aged delicate mysore.

Agreed. I see aged sandalwood as almost sacred and I don't blend it or dilute it. It seems perfect as-is. To me, oud often benefits from dilution in alcohol because it is so complex and aggressively multi-layered - the alcohol kind of "opens up" the layering and makes it (to me) easier to appreciate. Sandalwood is so heavy and subtle, it seems to suffer when diluted.

Banned

@Mandal

Salam
    I have only smelled 1 authentic sri Lankan oil a friend sent me a sample of and it's was somewhat of a lighter rendition of mysore ,I think perhaps in my case it was SA grown in Sri lanka, I just looked to see if I still had it to send your way but alas I seem to have given it away or misplaced it. I have heard some very negative remarks from one BNER about a sri lanka experience and very positive things...so I think there is quality sri Lankan out there , especially if it's been aged a few years. Just be aware that a lot of exports from sandalwood producing countries are plantation, not wild, if that is something that is important to you. If your really itching for some I can try and reach out and see what's available. LmK.