Code of Conduct
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
o
    Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Vintage Mysore sandalwood oil source?

Great review ListensClosely. Now I want to burn some sandalwood chips and smell that so I know what you're talking about.

Last night I only had time to swipe both of my palms with a tiny bit of my 23 yr old Mysore that I got from La Via del Profumo. Wow! Beautiful stuff. Nothing harsh or strong at all about the top notes...all smoothed down, plush woody notes with creamy / lactonic facets. Not strongly radiant - but like I said I only applied a tiny bit (I only have 1 ml...I have to be careful about over-applying). But next time, yeah I'm giving it a full wearing. I'll probably will wear it next time I do yoga. Or guided meditation.
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle
    Currently wearing: Grev by Slumberhouse

Alas I'm not a great aficionado of aged or vintage sandalwood oil although I do appreciate & understand the nuances of quality essences & absolutes. After searching for authentic Indian sandalwood oil recently I was most fortunate to have located a dwindling supply (sadly now defunct) from a well known Aromatherapy/Essential oil company here in Queensland Australia. The oil was sourced about 20 years ago when supply of this precious commodity was beginning to dry up, (literally) Having used 'Mysore' oil liberally back in the 1980's I knew exactly what to expect from memory, initially soft, sweet condensed milky wood while drying down with that unforgettable & intense spicy/muskiness Ahhhhhhhhhhh those were the days and around $1 per ml. for premium grade, some dealers are asking $80 a gram now, phew!!! Back to my recent purchase, still very expensive although I bought in staggered installments of 10 mls. over a 2 year period, hopefully enough to last for my lifetime with judicious usage, it is sweet, soft and holds for at least 12-24 hours fading out with that gorgeous woody/musky dry-down, almost colorless with just a feint hint of lactonic opalescence I also own a small amount of pure vintage 'Mysorean' oil.30 years+, similar in color & odor profile just a tad more concentrated. I believe a very good investment as unadulterated & high quality 'Indian' sandalwood oil will be worth it's weight in gold within the next 5-10 years. . .
    This is just my personal take on the 'Indian' sandalwood oil situation at present!!!
    L'Homme Vert

Well I think the Australian sandalwood (S. album) plantations are good news. The sample I got was quite decent, and I am guessing it's only going to get better. Maybe the golden age of affordable S. album will return sooner than we think! I am awaiting a sample from a company that is NOT Mt. Romance - it will be interesting to see what this company's sandalwood oil smells like!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.P View Post
    Well I think the Australian sandalwood (S. album) plantations are good news. The sample I got was quite decent, and I am guessing it's only going to get better. Maybe the golden age of affordable S. album will return sooner than we think! I am awaiting a sample from a company that is NOT Mt. Romance - it will be interesting to see what this company's sandalwood oil smells like!
    Hi Mr.P

Is Indian sandalwood oil of MT romance is good ?

I have a sample someone sent me - I need to double check if it is Mt. Romance (I believe it is). To me, the sample is preferable to any other recently distilled sandalwood oils I have seen from Sri Lanka, India, or Indonesia.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarik View Post
    Hi Mr.P

Is Indian sandalwood oil of MT romance is good ?
    yes it is good for the age and price! and in due time when the trees become more mature it will be amazing.

It's expensive though... about $10 AUD per ml. Guess it's all relative.

Quote Originally Posted by kyarazen View Post
    yes it is good for the age and price! and in due time when the trees become more mature it will be amazing.
    Thank you Mr kyarazen

anybody try this one? not vintage but best price for new distillation on the net

http://www.sandalwoodcompany.com/index.html
    1976 - Yatagan Caron
    1977 - Snuff by Schiaparelli
    1981 - Kouros YSL
    1988 - Fahrenheit Dior
    1980 - Patou Pour Homme
    1987 - Lapidus Pour Homme
    1981 - Quorum Antonio Puig
    1993 - Insense by Givenchy
    2014 - Dior Homme Parfum
    1987 - Ho Hang Club Balenciaga

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by peter4ptv View Post
    anybody try this one? not vintage but best price for new distillation on the net

http://www.sandalwoodcompany.com/index.html
    No. Something about that site looks fishy to me. They don't even really say where their oil is from. And it's $3 for 1 ml.
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle

I'm a longtime reader of Basenotes; I thought I'd finally join the discussions I have enjoyed so much. I've especially enjoyed Mr.P's informative posts throughout the years. Since one of my hobbies (when I can) is collecting enough sandalwood in its sundry forms to last me through a zombie apocalypse, I too have come across this website in my searches. It did not inspire the confidence I would want in order to part with my hard-earned money. There is almost no information about the vendor nor the source of the product, much less the nature of the product. Telling me about how sandalwood can be extracted *in general* and the benefits of sandalwood while failing to thoroughly describe what you are selling is an immediate red flag in the essential oil area, and that is my own personal opinon. Everything is little more than general information and something akin to, "We sell Mysore sandalwood; buy some." I also don't find the vague contact us page to be particularly reassuring. Another red flag is the testimonial written in forced, poor English supposedly by a customer named Marie French in the USA regarding the oil, "Your's is the coolest one. I will place new order with you soon." Caveat emptor, but I'd love to know if someone purchased this and it was actually real and unadulterated.

Basenotes Plus

So a couple weeks ago, I found a 15 ml botte of this on eBay...and I bought it for $325 - in my opinion that was a fantastic price.

I will copy what the Seller wrote, which helps explain why I jumped for this, at this price...

• Item: One 15 ml (.5 ounce) bottle of Sandalwood (santalum album) essential oil from Nature's Alchemy (Lotus Brands). The date on this bottle per registered trademark symbol is 1993. To the best of my knowledge, this bottle has never been opened (I've never opened it). Nature's Alchemy seems to have discontinued this product (pure santalum album oil) altogether as of ca. 2010. Today, the company sells a Sandalwood which is diluted in Jojoba oil and it's called Sandalwood Essence. The bottle of Santalum album offered here is, hence, aged, although it could date from any year between say 1993-2010. Santalum album gets better with every year it ages, which is of course not the case with many essential oils such as the citrus oils, which do expire. This bottle came from Healthy U Vitamin Shop in Illinois, which is now closed, and it was priced $53.95 at the time. Nature's Alchemy / Lotus Brands is a very reputable company, having their Organic Handlers Certification and having won the Green Patriot Award. Items like genuine Santalum album essential oil trade as if they were gold or something, with prices up to say $85 for 5 ml. (and that's for the non-aged oil). All things considered, if I were to buy a new 15 ml bottle of Santalum album today, I'd get it from Eden Botanicals, where it costs $143. To me, the bottle offered here is worth several hundred dollars, considering that it's aged. If, as a perfumer, you work in 10% dulutions, just imagine how great this is going to be -- you can extend this to 5 ounces in perfumer's alcohol, include minute amounts in your creations, and have bragging rights (marketing) that your fragrance contains genuine aged Santalum album essential oil. Sorry, but NO INTERNATIONAL SHIPPING ON THIS ITEM.

• Markings: The date on the bottle is 1993. Whether it's that old or not is unknown to me. I think Registered Trademark Symbols expire after 10 years (?). This is the Santalum album Sandalwood, as it says on the bottle. Santalum album is top tier in Sandalwood. The Australian variety (Santalum spicatum) which we now mostly see on the market isn't as useful.

• Condition: I believe the item is probably unused, but I have to sell as being in "Used" condition just in case anyone ever opened it along the way or what have you. I've never opened it and it was sold to me as being in New condition. Also, if you buy the item, open it, and don't like the smell, please just call me to arrange for a return rather than bringing a case against me. Being an amateur or hobbyist perfumer, I understand that the scent of Sandalwood can be light or faint (which is probably the reason why they use Sandalwood oil as a base for attars), but I'd just like any potential buyers out there to understand that may be the case with this item. You can't expect it to smell like potent incense, or aroma chemicals as found in Sandalwood by Crabtree & Evelyn, etc.

• Dimensions: The bottle is approx. 3 inches tall.

• Origin: I've done some digging on the net. Nature's Alchemy had previously sold Sandalwood essential oil with the stated origin being "India or Indonesia". I know, it would be great if they said it was from Mysore, India. But, then that would be questionable anyway since there hasn't been Sandalwood cultivation in Mysore for maybe 100 years (according to Katherine Koeppen, RA). Apparently, Mysore is just where Sandalwood warehouses are and of course where the state owned distillary is located. If the Sandalwood offered for sale in this listing originated in Indonesia, that may be a good thing. People in India think that Santalum album was introduced to India from Indonesia (Timor Island). If from Indonesia, they may have used older trees than the very young ones used in India -- who knows, right? Either way, this type of Sandalwood, Santalum album, is generically called Indian Sandalwood.

• Features: If I had to guess, I'd suggest that the contents of this bottle of Sandalwood dates back to the mid 1990's. I say this because the folks at Lotus Brands / Nature's Alchemy, a majority woman-owned company, are extremely environmentally responsible. A lot happened in the 90's. First of all, the production of Santalum album declined from 2000 tons in 1990 to about 1000 tons in 1999. In 1998, the Santalum album species was registered in the Vulnerable category of the IUCN red list, due to diseases and over-exploitation. Hence, by the late 90's, Santalum album would have been more expensive and harder to get, not to mention any ethical questions for companies in the trade. It's just a guess, but the bottle being sold here may contain 20 year old Sandalwood.

• Background: From the net (Eden Bot. site): "Sandalwood products are obtained from the sandalwood tree (Santalum album), which is a member of the Santalaceae family. It is known as white sandalwood, Mysore sandalwood, East Indian sandalwood, sandal, Chandan (Hindi), and tan xiang (Mandarin). The white sandalwood is an evergreen tree which grows to 50 feet and naturally occurs in Eastern India in the states of Mysore, Kerala, Tamil Nadu and Karnatika. It grows in dry and rocky environments and reproduces by suckers and by seeds. The environmental conditions required by this tree are rather strict and not completely understood. Due to a combination of the environmental requirements and the necessity of living off a host plant, Sandalwood is not easy to propagate. Even so, it has long been cultivated in other Southeast Asian locations, including Indonesia where some good quality Sandalwood essential oil is produced". PLEASE SEE MY EBAY STORE FOR A NICE SELECTION OF ART, ANTIQUES & COLLECTIBLES.
    The oil smells *fantastic*! The real deal for sure. Even nicer than my vintage oil that I already owned from 2000.

So I am sort of glad that I didn't spend hundreds of dollars on 1-2 ml's of vintage oil and instead now I have 15 ml's of it.

Just goes to show you - there is good vintage Mysore available on eBay. But Buyers you really have to be choosy about what you buy.

-- Eckhart Tolle

I remember when that brand was popular in health food stores, etc. Glad it smells good...

Mikeperez, Glad to see that your find was the real deal. I didn't have the guts to take a chance on that one. If you feel inclined to do a review, I'd appreciate it.

Basenotes Plus

Thanks guys.

I will do a review of it, side-by-side with my current vintage soon.

-- Eckhart Tolle

I don't know... Looks risky.

Hmmm, put in on an hour ago--compared with the Mysore I have, it lacks tenacity. Eh, never mind

It's nice, though. Sandalwood oil wasn't a rare commodity in 1973. It's definitely extended, like an attar, but it's sandalwood oil.

The other ones I have --the Tisserand, the health food store one marked "Pure Mysore Sandalwood", and the paniculatum from Hawaii--are undiluted, genuine, and tenacious.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by unregistered; 6th July 2016 at 03:46 PM. Reason: Not worth sampling

Here’s another that just popped up on eBay:

https://m.ebay.com/itm/East-Indian-M...-/223103486862

Too rich for my blood!

That Olfactory stuff I posted above this two years ago is crap, btw.

- - - Updated - - -

OK, reading the other sandalwood thread here, what I just linked is apparently fake, too. Sorry, folks.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by unregistered View Post
    Here’s another that just popped up on eBay:

https://m.ebay.com/itm/East-Indian-M...-/223103486862

Too rich for my blood!

That Olfactory stuff I posted above this two years ago is crap, btw.

- - - Updated - - -

OK, reading the other sandalwood thread here, what I just linked is apparently fake, too. Sorry, folks.
    unregistered, which one are you talking about that is 'fake'?

-- Eckhart Tolle