Code of Conduct
Just Starting Out Sponsor

Default New to fragrance collecting, looking for a point in the right direction.

Im new to collecting colognes.

Right now my summer/spring are Azarro Chrome Legend for work and Terre D'Hermes for nights with the Mrs. I will say I absolutely love Hermes but cant wear it during the fall winter as my skin doesn't project it well in cold.

Im trying to build a good winter collection but am falling short. I would like two winter smells, a classier one for day and a more " sensual" smell for night/ dates with the Mrs.

I have tried:

Azarro Pour Home : Drydown is wonderful after a couple hours, the barbershop/aftershave smell isnt what I want

A-Men: Wonderful longevity but the opening is a bit harsh. Loved the drydown.

Versace Eros: Blah sweet musky opening but way too sweet,all my nose smells is rubbing alcohol after 3 hours.

Boss Bottled: Soapy. Nope.

Guerlain Vetiver: Lemon Candy Woody Grass. No thanks.

Encre Noire: Love the opening, drydown is a non memorable.

Montana Graphite: Opening is neat and all, but lacks punch. The drydown however is absolutely wonderful but becomes just a skin scent.

Gio: Nope, no thanks.

Givenchy Play Intense: Great Smell actually, just couldnt get it to last from what I remember. 2

Here's what I'm thinking of trying and hope you all can help / make recommendations.

Burberry London: Lots of good reviews as a gentlemen's scent. Some longevity concerns but I can spray touch up if I like the scent.

Spicebomb/Bvlgari Man in Black: Spicy with sweet leather sounds intriguing.

Rochas Rochas Man: The wife will make fun of the bottle and/or think I ordered a sex toy, but good reviews.

Bentley Absolute/ CdG 2 Man: On the hopes the drydown from Graphite is there but much more prominent.

YSL La Nuit: I had a sampler on paper that smelled amazing, similar to that drydown from Graphite but so much more. However reviews keep saying something about sweet so not sure I got the right scent as to me it was dark, warm, spicy, woody.

Azzaro Vist: Geta solid reviews, appears to be discontinued.

212: All the notes seem right.

So that's where I am. I think the notes from Graphite I like is the cedar/ oakmoss giving a woody classy dark smell that I adore.

Any suggestions is awesome. I'm even open to changing up Chrome Legend for any better summer fresh scents that might be more woody/less aquatic. I am open to all except for a couple things:

-No sweet musky powder like Eros, prefer it darker and bitter.

-No baby powder please or at the least minimal powder smell.

-No barbershop/shaving cream fragrance like the opening of Azzaro Pour Homme.

Thanks for any help and I look forward to hopefully talking fragrances with everyone.

Default Re: New to fragrance collecting, looking for a point in the right direction.

Welcome aboard
    Currently wearing: Le Vetiver Itasca by Lubin

Default Re: New to fragrance collecting, looking for a point in the right direction.

You have already tried a nice variety to get yourself started! Congrats and welcome!
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

It looks like you're buying designer and/or cheaper stuff, which is certainly a sensible approach starting out.

Do give this a read though if you want to dabble in niche. Sample first, of course.

http://www.basenotes.net/features/32...-should-sample

If I were you I'd spend $50 on samples, and not buy any full bottles. 2 ml sprays should do it for testing purposes.
    Currently wearing: Yatagan by Caron

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    You have already tried a nice variety to get yourself started! Congrats and welcome!
    Not to be a creeper but your user name pops up on multiple google searches on another fragrance on my list, Carbone de Balmain.

I've read its sweeter than Graphite, but is the drydown similar/ stronger in any fashion? I'm wearing Graphite today and I keep putting my nose in my shirt to remind me how wonderful the base is, but I just cant get any projection from it.

I feel like if I could get Encre Noire to smell like this Id have a near perfect scent as Encre Noire's opening is terrific to my nose.
    Last edited by americannervoso; 18th January 2016 at 08:38 PM.

Maybe Tom Ford Noir Extreme. Seems it would fit in with what youl like.

Wearing Perfume Right Now

The suggestion to buy a bunch of samples is great. For what you might like, especially over time, Egoiste and Dior Homme are two I always come back to.

Welcome!

CDG2 man has vetiver, as does Encre Noire. Not sure it's what you're looking for exactly, but you should certainly try. It has incense, so it feels a bit like entering a cold church where candles are burning and incense wafts from the altar.
    If you like A*men, I'd give a shot to the Pure Malt version, which has a smooth, malty top. And I also second Chanel Egoiste: it's warm and sandalwoody, very good for the winter, and it projects very well (note, the regular Egoiste, not Platinum Egoiste)

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by americannervoso View Post
    I've read its sweeter than Graphite, but is the drydown similar/ stronger in any fashion?
    I'd say pretty much similar.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Hi and welcome to basenotes americannervoso! Where are you from if you don't mind me asking? Maybe we can recommend a good place to go to sample some niche fragrances. Do you have a neiman marcus nearby?
    Last edited by Mitchapalooza; 19th January 2016 at 09:40 AM.
    I came here to talk fragrances & chew bubblegum.. and i'm all out of bubblegum.

Basenotes Member

I would recommend you go back and smell la nuit again since you liked it so much the last time you tried it. It is a spicy and warm fragrance but it does not strike me as an overly sweet fragrance like per se invictus, one million, versace eros etc.
    Currently wearing: Uomo by Valentino

For the cedar without the sweet muskiness, the powder nor barbershop soapiness, while just with the right hint of darkness and bitterness (even if both are just marginally, minimally present in all of these fragrances, still very well structured and made noticeable enough) fragrances like Gucci pour Homme I, Acca Kappa Cedro, Chopard Noble Cedar, Cedar Woods by Woods of Windsor and Pierre Cardin Cedre Ambre could be worth sampling
    Currently wearing: Black Tag by Zara