Code of Conduct
Just Starting Out Sponsor
    Basenotes Member babycarrot5000's Avatar

Default Birthday gift for myself

My birthday is in two weeks and I plan to get myself something totally new. I was hoping I could get some recommendations! I'm still pretty new to the realm of fragrance, over the past years I just bought things from houses I knew I liked (Guerlain, Patou, Estée Lauder) so I haven't branched out a whole lot. I think at the moment I'm interested in woody scents. I got a whiff of Wonderwood by CdG recently and fell in love and immediately ordered a little decant of it. I think I'd be interested in more along that line, but I like chypres a lot too. I'm not really sure how to describe my taste, I'm Too New. Poke around my wardrobe and wish list to get an idea of what I like, perhaps. I know I love Jasmine, incense, bergamot, cedar, oud, rose, saffron... And I know I don't like things that are too sweet and have extremely powdery notes. I like powdery sometimes, but when it smells like baby powder I'm not into it.

I'd really appreciate recommendations. I don't really know a lot about what I like or where to go, but I'd love something interesting or niche. Price isn't too much of an issue. I want to treat myself. Thank you in advance.
    Currently wearing: Câline by Jean Patou

Default Re: Birthday gift for myself

Oud Wood by Tom Ford sounds like a good one.
    Currently wearing: Le Vetiver Itasca by Lubin

Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    Oud Wood by Tom Ford sounds like a good one.
    Thanks, I'll look that up right now. I've read some descriptions of a few other frags by Tom Ford I thought sounded really nice.

On another note, I forgot to mention I'm particularly interested in Arabian scents. I don't know anything about it really. I recently read about Arba Wardat by Rasasi and it sounded wonderful to me. But I know next to nothing about scents, except the smells that tickle me. It's almost overwhelming, there's so much out there.
    Last edited by babycarrot5000; 25th January 2016 at 07:20 PM.

Splendid Wood by YSL
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Splendid Wood by YSL
    Both of these suggestions so far sound right up my alley.

Basenoter

I think of Chergui, Bois des Iles, and Samsara as woody perfumes. It looks like you already have Samsara.
    Currently wearing: Antaeus by Chanel

21 by Costume National has saffron, it's really milky (it reminds me of something I make sometimes when I can't sleep--warm milk with honey, saffron and orange blossom water) if you like that.
    Mohur by Neela Vermeire if price really isn't an issue....
    Currently wearing: Fracas by Robert Piguet

You should sample Creed Royal Princess Oud. Welcome to Basenotes! If it's powdery, I'm Clint Eastwood.
    Last edited by Jowan; 26th January 2016 at 01:05 AM.

Given that you mentioned that budget is not a problem, for complex woods, you can also try Amouage Dia man, in addition to said YSL (Amouage is sold at Parfums de France in the Tysons corner mall), for spicy-woody, Amouage Fate woman. For incense, Armani Bois d'encens (at Saks, I believe).

As for Arabian brands, I'm not sure where you can find them in DC. Said Parfums de France has some western/arabian brands like Amouage, Mancera, or Montale, but not the Arabian-arabian ones. Still, the store has a big selection and is worth visiting, if you get the chance.

cacio

Bavard, I absolutely love Samsara! Of the two you recommended I think Chergui interesting. Iris, incense, tobacco, amber... very nice! And I see you're wearing that today. Out of everything I've checked out in this thread, this might be my top top contender.

zeniba, These sound absolutely heavenly and I think I'm going to get little decants or samples of them BOTH!

Jowan I've read a lot about Creed on this forum and I had never heard of it before basenotes, so maybe a sample of this would be a good introduction to the brand. It sounds like something I'd really like.

cacio The description of the Armani didn't particularly catch me, but both of the Amouage descriptions did. Dia Man sounds great, and so does Fate Woman, but I accidentally clicked on Fate Man first and I think out of the three Fate Man sounds the best. I really like masculine scents. And I didn't even know Parfums de France was at Tysons Corner!!! I will go there ASAP (when the roads are clear of snow ). Thanks for the heads up! Are there any other shops in the area? I haven't really been to any brick and mortar places besides Macy's and Saks, I've done most of my perfume buying online.

By the way, thanks for all these great recommendations.
    Last edited by babycarrot5000; 26th January 2016 at 03:53 AM.

My suggestion for you would be Santal Blush by Tom Ford. I think you might like it!
    Another options include Tam dao and Phylosikos by Diptyque and Trayee by Neela Vermiere.

Poslano sa mog SM-T230 koristeći Tapatalk
    Mi sagli smo glave, u strahu da biće još gore...i biće, jer sagli smo glave...a ljubav živi...
    Currently wearing: Sucre Noir by Arte Profumi

Quote Originally Posted by Vernona View Post
    My suggestion for you would be Santal Blush by Tom Ford. I think you might like it!
    Another options include Tam dao and Phylosikos by Diptyque and Trayee by Neela Vermiere.

Poslano sa mog SM-T230 koristeći Tapatalk
    The Philosykos sounds so interesting! I'm putting that on my list for contenders. I hope I can find a sample or decant of that.

When I sampled Diptyque: Philosykos I remember it being a very "green" smelling fragrance. Definitely more of a fresh cut wood/leafy scent with figs. The coconut doesn't particularly stand out to me. Tam Dao is the woodier Diptyque to me. Given your previous interests, I also think that you'd be into Tom Ford: Oud Wood as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Hat and Beard View Post
    When I sampled Diptyque: Philosykos I remember it being a very "green" smelling fragrance. Definitely more of a fresh cut wood/leafy scent with figs. The coconut doesn't particularly stand out to me. Tam Dao is the woodier Diptyque to me. Given your previous interests, I also think that you'd be into Tom Ford: Oud Wood as well.
    Oh, thank you! I actually do really love fresh woody-leafy scents too. Your description only made me more interested, to be honest.

I find Philosykos green and leafy mostly in the top. After that, it settles into a creamy woody scent that is never overbearing and always retains that crisp figgy feel. Very nice and unique. My only problem with it was that it was short-lived on my skin.
    Mi sagli smo glave, u strahu da biće još gore...i biće, jer sagli smo glave...a ljubav živi...
    Currently wearing: Sucre Noir by Arte Profumi

Quote Originally Posted by Vernona View Post
    I find Philosykos green and leafy mostly in the top. After that, it settles into a creamy woody scent that is never overbearing and always retains that crisp figgy feel. Very nice and unique. My only problem with it was that it was short-lived on my skin.
    That sounds heavenly. I'm sold. I might end up buying a bunch of decants for myself, you guys are making this too hard! These recommendations all sound wonderful!!!

Quote Originally Posted by babycarrot5000 View Post
    That sounds heavenly. I'm sold. I might end up buying a bunch of decants for myself, you guys are making this too hard! These recommendations all sound wonderful!!!
    A coworker of mine wears DS & Durga: Debaser that always smells great on her. It's a bit more dry than the Philosykos, but the fig and coconut and woods are definitely there!
    Last edited by Hat and Beard; 26th January 2016 at 07:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hat and Beard View Post
    A coworker of mine wears DS & Durga: Debaser that always smells great on him. It's a bit more dry than the Philosykos, but the fig and coconut and woods are definitely there!
    Oh my, that one sounds particularly splendid – I love every single note in it. I'm so glad I joined this site! I'm going to have the happiest nose this side of the Mason Dixon line in a few weeks.

Babycarrot:

re: Tysons, Parfums de France is a great little store full of perfumes. In the Tyson's mall, Nordstrom and Bloomingdales has a few interesting brands, including the cited Diptyque (Philosykos, Ombre dans l'eau, etc). Lush is also worthy, some of the perfumes are quite interesting.

In the nearby Galeria mall, there are the upscale department stores like Saks and Neimans, which carry some niche brands (kurkdjian, Armani, and many others), and there is the Chanel boutique, which has its excellent Chanel exclusives.

cacio

PS Fate man contains immortelle (also called helichrysum), which is a somewhat controversial note. Some (like me) like it, others don't. Worth smelling anyway.
    Last edited by cacio; 26th January 2016 at 09:48 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Perhaps sample Tea for Two and Passage d'Enfer, both by L'Artisan.

My birthday is in two weeks and I plan to get myself something totally new. I was hoping I could get some recommendations! I'm still pretty new to the realm of fragrance, over the past years I just bought things from houses I knew I liked (Guerlain, Patou, Estée Lauder) so I haven't branched out a whole lot. I think at the moment I'm interested in woody scents. I got a whiff of Wonderwood by CdG recently and fell in love and immediately ordered a little decant of it. I think I'd be interested in more along that line, but I like chypres a lot too. I'm not really sure how to describe my taste, I'm Too New. Poke around my wardrobe and wish list to get an idea of what I like, perhaps. I know I love Jasmine, incense, bergamot, cedar, oud, rose, saffron... And I know I don't like things that are too sweet and have extremely powdery notes. I like powdery sometimes, but when it smells like baby powder I'm not into it.

I'd really appreciate recommendations. I don't really know a lot about what I like or where to go, but I'd love something interesting or niche. Price isn't too much of an issue. I want to treat myself. Thank you in advance.
    Oh, thank you! I actually do really love fresh woody-leafy scents too. Your description only made me more interested, to be honest.

babycarrot5000 - Welcome to Basenotes and wish you a very happy birthday in advance!

Have you tried Black Aoud by Montale? It is definitely worth a sniff. It has a central rose-oud combination that smells rich, dark and engaging.

Since you liked Wonderwood and you also like masculine scents, I would suggest you check out 2 Man, Wonderoud, Terre d'Hermes and Tam Dao EdT & EdP.

A very nice fresh rose scent I tried was Eau Rose by Diptyque, with a musky base. But some might find it boring.

For woody-leafy-fresh, an excellent fragrance is Eau de Gentiane Blanche. Philosykos is also quite interesting, as Vernona mentioned.

Since you are in DC, I guess you can check out most of these fragrances at stores.
    Looking to swap for Bois du Portugal (5-10 ml).
    Have Green Irish Tweed, Silver Mountain Water, Vetiver Extraordinaire, Incense Oud, Tobacco Oud and others.

Kindly PM. USA Only. Thank you.

Check out my swap thread!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/399...97#post3635197

Happy birthday- in a rather belated manner! Perhaps also TF Velvet Orchid and/or White Patchouli, Bvlgari Jasmin Noir, most of the Dior Poison flankers, Dsquared Velvet Forest Wood could also be worth considering.
    Currently wearing: Antaeus by Chanel

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    PS Fate man contains immortelle (also called helichrysum), which is a somewhat controversial note. Some (like me) like it, others don't. Worth smelling anyway.
    Ahhh, controversial. I love it. I can't wait to get a whiff.

CapriDog I love the name Tea for Two. I think the notes in Passage d'Enfer sound more interesting though.

freewheelingvagabond I haven't tried Black Oud by Montale, but it has crossed my path when researching things I know I like. Thanks for all those suggestions!!!

Ken_Russel Technically not belated yet, I don't turn 24 for another week. I made the thread early so I could find something in time for my birthday. All of your recommendations sound like things I'm interested in!

Thanks everyone for all the help. I wrote down the names of every fragrance that interested me from this thread (which was basically all of them). I'm heading out to local perfume shops to see if I can sniff any of them. There are so many interesting recommendations that I think I will end up buying a lot of decants instead of a single full bottle of anything. You're all so helpful!

And thanks for the birthday wishes.

zeniba, These sound absolutely heavenly and I think I'm going to get little decants or samples of them BOTH!
    Are you getting samples of them at luckyscent? If so, you might wanna pick up a sample of Trayee too. If you like fig, then Ashoka could also be worth a try.
    Since you like jasmine, you could also try Clair Obscur (Keiko Mecheri) and A La Nuit (Serge Lutens). Luckyscent sells those but doesn't have samples of either right now.
    Currently wearing: Fracas by Robert Piguet