Code of Conduct

Default Juliette has a Gun

On the Male side of the tracks we love to get questions like this from women, so hopefully this will go over well.
    Three years ago I bought my wife a Juliette sampler pack. She was completely unimpressed with all except This is not a Perfume and Citizen Queen. She predominantly wore Coco Chanel before discovering JHAG. I bought her a bottle of each and she wears both very regularly.
    In fact, C. Queen has become her go to and she will sometimes put it on 5 days in a row. It smells fabulous on her, has amazing sillage, and she gets compliments galore.
    I bought samples of newer releases: Anyway, Gentlewoman , and Moondance but they were all just OK. Midnight oud was out of stock.
    For those familiar with Citizen Queen any ideas of similar fragrances that I could let her sample?
    Thanks!

Default Re: Juliette has a Gun

I'm not familiar with it but I just read a bunch of reviews. She likes Coco Chanel, but is she familiar with the exclusive Chanel line?
    How strong is the leather in Citizen Queen actually? If it is barely noticeable then a few Guerlains may work, maybe L'heure Bleue, Apres L'Ondee. In this vein is Love in Idleness by Atkinsons (just a tip in case she likes this, try looking for it from a European store where it's just expensive, unlike in the US where it is way too overpriced).
    If the leather is a big part then maybe Parfum d'Empire Cuir Ottoman or Bottega Veneta.
    And my final suggestion is L'Olympia Music Hall by Histoires de Parfums.

edit: oh, I misunderstood. I thought she was trying to replace Citizen Queen. Well, I still stand by my suggestions, but she may want something a bit different too? Has she mentioned any notes or types of fragrances that she's interested in exploring?
    Last edited by zeniba; 30th January 2016 at 03:26 PM.
    Currently wearing: L'Attesa by Masque

Thanks Zeniba
    Coco Chanel is the only Chanel out of a bunch of Chanels that she likes, but she has not tried the exclusives.
    She likes CQ and This is not a perfume better than Coco however.
    When I try to pin her down on what it is specifically bout CQ that attracts her she says it just smells great. From this comment one would not think she has all that refined a nose, but she actually is very picky about fragrances and has strong opinions about all of mine. I do remember that she was not crazy about L'Olympia by HdP if that helps.

I wear and love Citizen Queen, I am not sure if there is another fragrance out there that is really like it.

If your wife is happy with it let her enjoy it. You could try getting samples of the Chanel Excusifs, 30 Rue Cambon is gorgeous.
    DONNA
    Currently wearing: Smart by Andrea Maack

Blog Entries

Check out the reviews of Citizen Queen in the Directory; several of them make references to other apparently similar fragrances.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Did read all the reviews but didn't get any "If you like this than try that" kind of message.
    BTW I got the Chanel's all wrong. She does not like Coco Chanel at all. It's Coco Mademoiselle that she likes.

Quote Originally Posted by donna255 View Post
    I wear and love Citizen Queen, I am not sure if there is another fragrance out there that is really like it.

If your wife is happy with it let her enjoy it. You could try getting samples of the Chanel Excusifs, 30 Rue Cambon is gorgeous.
    I recommend this, too.

If she likes Coco Mad, she would probably be interested in 31 Rue Cambon or Coromandel of the exclusives. She might also like Hanae by Hanae Mori, any lighter Angel variation such as Angel Innocent, La Vie est Belle by Lancome, Si by Armani, or maybe some of the Tom Fords, like White Patchouli.

Personally I think she's exhausted what's worth exploring at JHAG. I wasn't too impressed with their line overall, but Citizen Queen wasn't in my sampler. Mad Madame was alright.

But if Citizen Queen is a sort of chypre as it's described, I recommend she try some of those. My favorites are Mitsouko, Diorella, Dioressence, and 31 Rue Cambon.

Overall I have a hunch she might like Kelly Caleche by Hermes, which features a leather note, but it's just a guess.

On the other hand, if she likes samplers like that in general, Sephora is carrying some interesting ones online, such as Histoires de Parfums, Etat Libre d'Orange, Atelier Colognes, Derek Lam, Nest, TokyoMilk Dark, Aerin, or Commodity.
    Last edited by Kotori; 30th January 2016 at 05:17 PM.
    My only regrets in life are the people I haven't stood up for,
    and the perfumes I've thrown away.
    Currently wearing: Infusion d'Iris by Prada

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by vitaman View Post
    Did read all the reviews but didn't get any "If you like this than try that" kind of message.
    Actually, Chanel No 22, Bulgari Blu, Agent Provocateur, Blu Notte, Heaven Sent & Love's Baby Soft are all mentioned as being similar.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Thanks teardrop.
    We did try Chanel No22, Bulgari Blu, and Agent Provocateur based on those reviews. It's been a few years so I'd forgotten.
    None seemed at all like CQ.

None of those to me are like Citizen Queen, Agent Provocateur has a lot of skank going on. No22 is big on the aldhyde and has a metallic vibe(I have vintage edt), not into Bulgari only know the original Black.
    DONNA

L'Artisan Parfumeur Voleur de roses, Marni. I would have said Agent provocateur too but I understand Donna's comment.
    Similar to Coco mademoiselle, Dior Miss Dior (ex-Cherie) although reformulations may have had an impact on their closeness. On some people I smelled the connection with Coco noir too.
    Currently wearing: Samsara by Guerlain

I own Voleur des Roses, now on me I get loads of patchouli, so nothing like Citizen Queen.
    DONNA

Apologies I may have confused CQ with Lady vengeance.
    Currently wearing: Samsara by Guerlain

How similar does it have to be? Doesn't she currently own Citizen Queen? If not, it looks like it is in stock at the Juliette has a Gun site. Why would she need a perfume that is identical?
    Currently wearing: L'Attesa by Masque

Thanks to all.
    Not looking for a twin, just something with similar DNA....and definitely not something similar to Coco Mad. After reading her some reviews of Diorella, she is intrigued by that. Ordered her samples of Armani Si, Kelly Caleche, and Midnight Oud yesterday.
    There are so many things out there that she does not like, that I thought this would be a good stepping off place.
    If this were men's fragrances and I was told that someone liked Musc Ravageur, I would direct them to HdP 1740, Mazolarri Lui, Amouage Interlude, and Byredo 1996.
    None are clones but they would all relate well in a room together.

I'd suggest Lumiere Noire Pour Femme by Maison Francis Kurkdjian.
    Currently wearing: Kalemat by Arabian Oud

Worth checking out the MFK idea.
    Forgot to mention that she adores APOM pour femme. Is on her 2nd bottle in a year.
    Would Lumiere Noire be considered a dressy or formal fragrance? She tends to like ones that can easily be worn with jeans and to the gym.

Forgot to mention that she adores APOM pour femme. Is on her 2nd bottle in a year.
    Would Lumiere Noire be considered a dressy or formal fragrance? She tends to like ones that can easily be worn with jeans and to the gym.
    I don't believe in dressy or formal fragrances, and wouldn't even begin to know how to make the distinction. Anything in my wardrobe can be worn to the grocery store or to dinner with the queen. All the same to me.
    Currently wearing: Kalemat by Arabian Oud

I love APOM too! Lumiere Noire is also lovely but quite different. APOM is bright and playful where as Lumiere Noire is a bit darker and perhaps more tailored. IMHO Lumiere Noire is a potential signiture fragrance in that it can go from casual to night at the opera in a heart beat.

I have been curious about JHAG fragrances but not known where to start, so I need to check out Citizen Queen. Is Citizen Queen your wife's signiture, or is she looking to start or enhance her wardrobe?
    Currently wearing: Pichola by Neela Vermeire

She rotates among CQ, Not a Perfume, and APOM.
    Was trying to add 2-3 more into the mix.
    Every once in a while she will bring out Coco Mad, Coco Noir, or Bendelirious, but not often.
    Looking at the notes, I think she would like Lumiere Noire but I don't think she would wear it often.

Vitaman, your lady is lucky to have someone like you to enhance her collection and appreciation of fragrance!

Aww Thanks B cat (blushes).
    We dropped by Neiman's today on the way to an appointment at the Apple store and I think she fell in love.
    If this were a guessing game, nobody would guess what she picked (I certainly wouldn't have)
    They have lots to choose from: Diptique, Dior, Atelier, Tom Ford, Armani, Jo Malone, MFK, Creed, Cartier, Hermes, Jean Patou, and many others.
    So of all the possibilities she chose Maison Francis Kurdjian's new Baccarat Rouge!
    She could not stop smelling her wrist while in the store and 3 hours later she still is fixated on that wrist.
    Smelled totally Unisex to me ...I would wear it in a heartbeat......and I tend to think most scents labeled Uni lean on the feminine side.
    If you've never tried it, Dinner/Lunch out along with a fragrance exploration makes a wonderful date.
    Highly recommend it.

How wonderful is this!! So glad that your wife found a new "fragrance" love! You give her space to make up her own mind which is vital to the process of enticing those around us to love fragrance.

I just got an email about this new MFK elixir and am wildly curious about it. I thought it was going to be like Ciel de Gum and impossible to locate, so I am excited that I can find it at my nearest NM. Yay!

Congrats on your success! And keep this thread in a back pocket for gift ideas in the future, perhaps.
    My only regrets in life are the people I haven't stood up for,
    and the perfumes I've thrown away.
    Currently wearing: Infusion d'Iris by Prada

Blog Entries

Bravo, that's the way to do it!

Yah!!! Success.
    DONNA

Just one more person stating the obvious, but finding one or two perfumes she likes out of a sampler pack is SUCESS!!! It's great that you care so much.

You could try some sampler packs from some other lines. Histoires de Parfumes?

http://www.sephora.com/histoires-de-...?skuId=1754860
    One man's trash is another man's treasure. Especially when it comes to perfumes ...