Code of Conduct

Default Is magnetic cap Lyric Man worth it?

Seems like almost all retailers only carry the magnetic cap bottles of most Amouages. Three out of my four bottles are the older heavy non magnetic caps.

I'm leaning towards jumping on a bottle of Lyric Man knowing these are magnetic caps. My Reflection Man has a magnetic cap and its still gorgeous and has great longevity.

Thoughts on current magnetic Lyric Man, considering I never got my nose on the older version...

Thanks guys!

Default Re: Is magnetic cap Lyric Man worth it?

Yes, every single cent of its price.

My fragrance reviews | Ye Olde Civet Cat

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Maillard View Post
    Yes, every single cent of its price.
    I'm only asking this because if you look up Lyric reformulation on here, most of what you read is negative.

Sacrilege and bloody murder... I mean, I understand it's all a matter of opinion. I just wanna hear from those who have smelled both. "They destroyed it" or "it's a shell of what it used to be" might mean more to someone who smelled the older version.

How does the magnetic cap perform? Would you/ have you bought it?

I find Lyric Man stunning on my skin.
    Currently wearing: Eight & Bob by Eight & Bob

Quote Originally Posted by jvazquez76 View Post
    I'm only asking this because if you look up Lyric reformulation on here, most of what you read is negative.

Sacrilege and bloody murder... I mean, I understand it's all a matter of opinion. I just wanna hear from those who have smelled both. "They destroyed it" or "it's a shell of what it used to be" might mean more to someone who smelled the older version.

How does the magnetic cap perform? Would you/ have you bought it?
    People are oversensitive over reformulations matter, 90% of the times it's pure paranoia. Yes, I've the new magnetic cap version and it's plain brilliant - rich, deep, long-lasting, anything you'd expect from the best Amouage's.

My fragrance reviews | Ye Olde Civet Cat

Good to go.

Reside in McLean, NYC, Manuel Antonio & Búzios

If you can get it at a good price, get it and enjoy it!
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Maillard View Post
    People are oversensitive over reformulations matter, 90% of the times it's pure paranoia. Yes, I've the new magnetic cap version and it's plain brilliant - rich, deep, long-lasting, anything you'd expect from the best Amouage's.
    Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    If you can get it at a good price, get it and enjoy it!
    Thank you all for the guidance and comments on this. It really is about the price in the end I think. Amouage currently ranks as 1 in my top 3 frag houses. Their stuff is electric. I emailed the vendor to see if she can honor a coupon that expired. If she does then it was meant to be.

Cheers all!

Definitely worth it. Lasts forever on my skin. I do not know about non magnetic cap and I do not even care, this magnetic one works really good for me.
    And I actually like magnetic caps, I mean the caps.

Los Angeles, CA- too damn close to Scent Bar

Am not the expert on this, but I believe there is a theory that when Amouage switched to magnetic caps, it meant EVERYTHING was reformulated.

I don't know that to be necessarily true.

I have magnetic cap JUB XXV, EPIC MAN and INTERLUDE.

All awesome.

I cannot conceive that nonmagnetic cap EPIC MAN or INTERLUDE could have been any stronger or better.

I'm certain that there are very real refomulatoons that take place, but I find "reformulation" to somewhat of the Basenotes "Boogeyman"
    Last edited by StylinLA; 16th February 2016 at 10:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    I'm certain that there are very real refomulatoons that take place, but I find "reformulation" to somewhat of the Basenotes "Boogeyman"
    I tend to agree here. Like I stated in my OP, people use hyperbole when describing what they deem a reformulation. "It was gutted." "They destroyed this masterpiece."

If ingredients are changed, then I get the whole reformulation thing. However, this Amouage house is notorious for their quality niche scents. This will be my 5th fb Amouage blind buy. Not only zero regret, but I'm ecstatic that I found these gems. Mostly through here and YouTube frag reviews.

I don't wanna count my chicks before they hatch so I'll wait to tell you guys where I got it and my shopping experience. (If it pans out this would rank as another steal in my book)

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    Am not the expert on this, but I believe there is a theory that when Amouage switched to magnetic caps, it meant EVERYTHING was reformulated.

I don't know that to be necessarily true.
    This is absolutely NOT true ... and, yes, it's a frequently repeated mistruth in the community. Some scents were reformulated long before the magnetic caps (Epic, and especially Gold/Silver which have gone through many different versions over the years). Around the time that the caps were upgraded, there were changes to a few of the scents in the line. Amouage did not hide this, and I even saw a list of which scents were affected at the time. But it certainly did not apply to every one of their releases. And the ones that did change slightly are not inferior now. Simply put, don't believe everything you read. Just buy the scents and enjoy them

Quote Originally Posted by naylor View Post
    This is absolutely NOT true ... and, yes, it's a frequently repeated mistruth in the community. Some scents were reformulated long before the magnetic caps (Epic, and especially Gold/Silver which have gone through many different versions over the years). Around the time that the caps were upgraded, there were changes to a few of the scents in the line. Amouage did not hide this, and I even saw a list of which scents were affected at the time. But it certainly did not apply to every one of their releases. And the ones that did change slightly are not inferior now. Simply put, don't believe everything you read. Just buy the scents and enjoy them
    Eric, is there a definitive list of what scents were reformulated by Amouage? I have the magnetic Reflection and it's probably my favorite scent in my collection right now. Like when I have another $150 or so kicking around and no urge to by something new I'm going to buy a backup bottle of it. My Interlude is crazy beast in every category. The weakest of the Amouages I own is Memoir Man. It's also great but it keeps much closer to the skin than any other of the Amouages. I'm looking forward to my Lyric even though I've been resisting it thinking that the rose note will dominate it.

My bottle shipped guys... so one step closer to getting my hands/nose on it.

Eric, is there a definitive list of what scents were reformulated by Amouage?
    There definitely was an official list that Amouage provided to their distributors around the time of the packaging changes. I had it, but alas, I did not save it. At the time, I already owned everything from the house and wasn't concerned about reformulations (and, quite honestly, I'm still not). Plus, the house really didn't get discussed as much back then. Of course, with how much speculation and discussion the house gets now, I wish I would have kept the list that I had.

Seems like almost all retailers only carry the magnetic cap bottles of most Amouages. Three out of my four bottles are the older heavy non magnetic caps.

I'm leaning towards jumping on a bottle of Lyric Man knowing these are magnetic caps. My Reflection Man has a magnetic cap and its still gorgeous and has great longevity.

Thoughts on current magnetic Lyric Man, considering I never got my nose on the older version...

Thanks guys!
    I know this is a long shot and you probably have already bought this great scent, however, after doing a side by side comparision I feel like I should give you my opinion of the reformulation.

To me personally, the magnatic cap is not as good as the non-magnetic cap, yet the difference between the two is not big enough for me to give up the newer version. The older version has a briliant opening with prominent lime, rose, and a hint of frankincense. The frankincense stays very calm and the scent is very transparent and fresh, but also very strong! The life span it is about 5 hours on my skin(I have very bad skin, in my collection, nothing stays longer than 5 hours except Xerjoff Nio) with a good projection for 2 hours. It's so so so so pleasant and I love to spray it on my arm so I can take a big whiff of it from time to time. For the newer version, I can barely smell the lime(the lime in the older version also disappears after 20 mins, so its not the mean difference), instead I smell the rose with a much stronger incense note that makes the fragrance not as transparent as the older version. Two sprays of it on my neck can actually choke myself out for the first 20 mins after spraying it. The middle notes of the both of them are similar, I can't tell much difference except the newer version has a bit more frankincense, and overspraying it can become a little cloying. The drydown, here is where I actually prefer the newer version. It has a very clean frankincense note that remains on the skin for the last hour. The older version has a somewhat dirty earthy smell that I get a lot from rose fragrance. To me it's what a rose smells like when it's dried. The life span of the newer version is about 4.5 hours. To me it's still very good. So here is my two cents on the reformulation of Lyric man. Again, the mean difference is the frankincense. The lime note is only for the first 20 mins, but I am a big citrus lover, so you can see why I like the older version better, but the newer version is still great! As for what the people around me think. they can't smell the difference, but they do say that the newer version seems to project better, they can smell it more when I use it. Lastly please forgive my bad English, I am a foreign student from China and this is my first time posting here. I love Lyric man, it's my top 3 favorite along with Xerjoff Nio and Lira.

Basenotes Plus

I have owned both versions. I currently own the non magnetic cap version and swapped the magnetic cap version. To my nose there is very little to any difference. I only swapped one because I have so many fragrances I would never really need a backup bottle of anything.
    Follow me on Instagram @ Bay_Area_Cologne_King
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed