Code of Conduct

Default What note is bothering me? (Vanilla?)

Hello everyone.

I've found that there's a particular accord that irritates me, and is commonly found in numerous different designer and niche scents.

First, I blind bought Cuba Gold, and found that it almost immediately gave me a headache. Le Male did the same thing, so I guess it must be a pretty good clone.

I thought that maybe it was just a cheaper aromachemical that was getting to me, but later I tried a sample of PdM's Pegasus, and had the same issue. I also found that Versace Blue Jeans and Boss Bottled were pleasant on the opening, but after a few minutes the same smell came out, and they became nauseating.

I'm pretty sure it must be the vanilla accord that is bugging me, as it seems to be the only note common to all of the above fragrances, but I suppose it could also be lavender, jasmine, or something else that's not stated on the note lists. Does that sound right to anyone else? Does anyone happen to know what exactly might be the chemical in question? I'd like to have a way of knowing before I bother sampling something.

I got scared off of even sampling Reflection Man. I also heard good things about Ultra Male, but I haven't found a sample of it yet. Does anyone get the same vibe from either of those?

Thanks very much for everyone's help!

Edit: Just to clarify, I have no problem with natural vanilla, and there are a good number of other colognes with vanilla notes that I enjoy, so it isn't all vanilla scents that bother me. It's just some particular type of vanilla aromachemical, I'm guessing.
    Last edited by Shrubber; 17th February 2016 at 09:33 PM.

Reside in McLean, NYC, Manuel Antonio & Búzios

Default Re: What note is bothering me? (Vanilla?)

I would say vanilla is a good guess.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

What about versace eros? Same thing? If so its probably tonka bean
    I came here to talk fragrances & chew bubblegum.. and i'm all out of bubblegum.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchapalooza View Post
    What about versace eros? Same thing? If so its probably tonka bean
    I'm pretty sure it isn't tonka, since Chanel AHS Extreme and Fève Délicieuse don't bother me. Also, Versace Pour Homme is one of my favorites, though I don't get that much tonka from it.

I haven't tried Eros in a while though, but I think I didn't like it. I'll give it another shot. It looks like it has a lot of vanilla in it too though.

Basenotes Member ArabianSaffron's Avatar

I have the same issue. Its quite a common note in western fragrances and I thought too that maybe its the Vanilla, as that is the common overused note for a lot of western fragrances. This is one reason why I stick to Arabic perfumes... that sickly vanillary note is really nauseating. It even puts me off having vanilla in my coffee lol. I dont think its the tonka bean because fragrances with that note I absolutely LOVE!
    Check out the latest eBook publication, written by Shaneela Rowah Al-Qamar, and published by Oriental Publishing, titled 'The Fragrance: The History of Perfume in Arabian and Islamic History'.

Download here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fragrance-Hi...words=shaneela

New Blog:

www.shaneelaraq.blogspot.com

To purchase Arabian perfumes and fragrance oils, please check out www.scentedsouq.co.uk, or email sales@scentedsouq.co.uk

There are different types of vanilla, so it may be a particular way that sort of vanilla is blended with other notes.

Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    There are different types of vanilla, so it may be a particular way that sort of vanilla is blended with other notes.
    Yeah, that's the frustrating thing. There are plenty of vanilla-heavy scents that don't bother me at all (Eau des Baux and Herod for example). I just wish I could tell before I sampled a niche fragrance whether it has that type of vanilla.

Probably the vanilla. Unless its done right tonka kills a fragrance for me, though.