Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Any suggestions for fragrance by a Japanese House?

Hello folks,

I've always had an interest in Japan, the history, the architecture, the people, the automobiles, the culture. I have quite a few friends who live and work in Japan. I was just thinking, I'd like to add a fragrance from a Japanese house to my collection. I really don't know much about fragrances from Japan. I've only heard of a few brands. I have used Shiseido skin products in the past and really liked them. I checked out their few men's fragrances. Zen For Men sounds appealing to me.. going by the notes.. Could anyone give me some suggestions of good Japanese men's fragrances I should be looking at? Nothing extremely expensive or very difficult to find please. Just ones that aren't too hard to find and average prices. Open to both fragrances made in Japan and fragrances from Japanese houses made outside Japan..

Many thanks in advance,
    Last edited by MonsieurChanel; 26th February 2016 at 08:52 PM.

Reside in McLean, Va. Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: Any suggestions for a Japanese fragrance?

Are you looking for a Japanese fragrance made in Japan or a fragrance from a Japanese house made outside of the country elsewhere?
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

My fragrance reviews | Ye Olde Civet Cat

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Are you looking for a Japanese fragrance made in Japan or a fragrance from a Japanese house made outside of the country elsewhere?
    Pretty much open to either, Hednic! Sorry, I forgot to clarify that bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Maillard View Post
    Thank you for that Colin. I'd actually been browsing that page before posting the thread!

It's very helpful in the sense it gives the Japanese houses, but I'd like to see what people on the boards recommend and like, also.

CdG Kyoto. Japanese inspired as well as being a Japanese house.

As tefg was saying, CDG are Japanese designers (though I suppose the perfumes themselves are done in Europe). Another one in the line would be Hinoki, which is supposed to smell like a traditional Japanese wooden spa (it does, to some extent). For the avantgarde aspect of Japanese fashion, instead I suggest their CDG 2011 edp.

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by MonsieurChanel View Post
    Pretty much open to either, Hednic! Sorry, I forgot to clarify that bit.
    Tough to find at a decent price but if you can get hold of Basala from Shiseido, don't think you would be disappointed.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

The Miya Shimna range. She is French Japanese. She studied in Kyoto and Paris. So far so good?

Hana ( flower)
    Tsuki (moon)
    Kaze (wind)
    Sakura (cherry blossom)
    Feuillage Vert (green leaves)
    Hinoki (japanese cypress)
    Yuki (snow)
    Mizu ( water)
    Tachibana (orange flower)
    Tsubaki (camelia)

Tough to find at a decent price but if you can get hold of Basala from Shiseido, don't think you would be disappointed.
    Shiseido Basala was my recommendation, too!
    The Bark Bites Back on film here --> https://thebarkbitesback.wordpress.com
    Currently wearing: Journey Man by Amouage

The most obvious Japanese house is Issey Miyake.

L'eau D'Issey Pour Homme definitely gives me a Japanese vibe. Not so much with Nuit D'Issey tho.
    I wear fragrance to smell good to everyone, not just myself

Basenotes Plus

Default Any suggestions for a Japanese fragrance?

Masaki Matsushima mat; very male

Top notes: bergamot, aquatic accords and accords of the anise liqueur Sambuca.
    Heart: lotus, bamboo and precious woody notes.
    Base: patchouli, white cedar and licorice wood.

I think it's discontinued but can find it cheap on eBay.

I also dig Zen Original by Shiseido

Top notes: bergamot, galbanum and orange blossom.

Heart: jasmine, rose, violet, narcissus, hyacinth, carnation, orris root and mimosas.

Base: sandalwood, cedar, oak moss, amber and musk.

Source: Fragrantica.
    Last edited by CapriDog; 21st February 2016 at 07:38 PM.

The most obvious Japanese house is Issey Miyake.

L'eau D'Issey Pour Homme definitely gives me a Japanese vibe. Not so much with Nuit D'Issey tho.

Also Hanae Mori too.
    I wear fragrance to smell good to everyone, not just myself

The designer houses of Kenzo and Issey could be good starting points for extensive testing and then gradually advancing to more exclusive offers (unfortunately, having no info about any Japanese houses in the niche or otherwise more limited edition market segments).

Basenotes Plus

I think Shiseido Zen for men is good, not spectacular, but a good fresh summer scent that is just very pleasant.

Also check out Mat Male and Mat Very Male.
    Current top 5:
    1. Roja UAE
    2. Sospiro Vivace
    2. SHL Generation Homme
    3. ELDO Rien
    4. Brioni EDT
    5. FM French Lover

I'd have to say that Comme des Garçons' Kyoto is the most Japanese smelling scent I know.
    Hinoki also has strong associations with Japanese cypress trees and hot springs/bath tubs using the wood of the tree.

Otherwise this http://parfum-satori.com/en/collection/irishomme.html interests me. Never smelled it but I know people speak highly of it.
    Not sure whether it's available outside Japan.
    1. No, never blind buy (I do, but do as I say, not as I do. I'm taking no responsibility for your fragrance gambling).
    2. Get them both. You're a Basenoter and you know you're going to end up purchasing them both eventually.
    3. Yes, it has been reformulated.
    4. Looking for a signature scent? You've come to the wrong place.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions!

I've bought Issey Miyake L'eau D'Issey Pour Homme and Shiseido Zen For Men. Two relatively cheap ones suggested in the thread.

Debating on CdG Kyoto. I see its a big incense one.. Unsure about that. From experience, incense dominant scents have never really been my favourites. Would like to sample first but it doesn't seem easy to obtain a sample..

Very intrigued by Shiseido Basala. But where do you even get this stuff?! I only can find one half used bottle for sale in the World! How long has it been off the market? Does it come up often and how much would one expect to pay?

Thanks to all for the recommendations. I can't thank you all individually but I genuinely appreciate every post and suggestion and am researching all the ones mentioned above.

I went on a similar quest years ago.. Culturally, from what I understand, fragrance is much less commonly worm in public in Japan. (not an expert, that's just my understanding) So finding a Japanese fragrance is really getting something from the borders of interaction between Japanese and Western culture: Japanese style houses that feel that they need fragrances to be a world-class style house (that is, they are completing internationally and include fragrance in the "expected range" in the markets they are competing in); and Western style houses trying to expand/open markets in Japan that have produced fragrance offerings they think will appeal to the Japanese consumer in their segment. (have you seen how different McDonald's is between the US and Japan? (ie http://en.rocketnews24.com/2015/06/1...ns-and-cheese/)

So I went on a long quest to buy Basala, which was successful and I still have nearly all of that bottle (I get leather and incense, it's nice but not exceptional to me so rarely used). The other I would mention is Hanae Mori for men. That is a BN friendly sweet gourmand with some distinctive characteristics. I see Basala is by Japanese for the Japanese market, HM for international markets with definite Japanese characteristics. I have and like both L'Eau d'Issey and L'Eau d'Issey Intense but I don't see those as really trying to be Japanese or for the Japanese market as much as style house creating itself "de novo" and refusing to be bound by any conventions or expectations.

So you could say my Japanese initiative had mixed results. I have no regrets but didn't really find what I was looking for. Perhaps you will have better luck.
    Last edited by radix023; 22nd February 2016 at 03:10 AM. Reason: typo
    Currently wearing: Sun by Zents

Ended up buying Hanae Mori HM For Men also, after some debate I opted for the EdT version.. I done a bit of reading on it and it sounds like something I'd like. I've only tried the HIM (2012, I think) from Hanae Mori and it was quite a while ago, but from memory I think I found some kind of a similarity to 1 Million. I could be wrong. Probably just the sweetness and cinnamon. I much preferred the Hanae Mori though.

Quote Originally Posted by MonsieurChanel View Post
    Ended up buying Hanae Mori HM For Men

Comme des Garcons Hinoki is the first one that came to mind.

S-Perfume are Japanese I think

They produced S-ex of course, which I rather like

Glad to hear you enjoy this one Hednic! What is your take on the two variants? Is there a huge difference? I read a few online reviews and I debated for quite a while on EdT or EdP.. Both seem to get spoken highly of. I figured the EdT would be best to go for first and if I really like it I'll get the EdP also.

Thanks to other posters for the suggestions also. Will check those out.

Several Annayake are quite good

I could be wrong but from my knowledge based on having a few Japanese friends, typical the Japanese don't wear scent. Not sure if they even wear deodorant or anything scented for that matter. So, a truly Japanese scent would be nothing.

But if I were to suggest anything, something from the house of CdG wouldn't be bad. I'm leaning closer to CdG 2. I'd also check out Gaiac 10 by Le Labo.

Also, a lot of my Japanese friends wear Eau d'Orange Verte by Hermes interestingly enough. Nothing Japanese about it though. Also, a perfume shop owner once told me she sells the Penhaligon's line like crazy in Japan.

Smelt Basala years ago but really felt it was very strong, very dry, very spicy. Didn't really get a Japanese vibe.

EDIT: Just re-read your post and noticed you aren't looking for anything too pricey or hard-to-find so Gaiac 10 would be out of the equation. 2nd the Kyoto and Hinoki recommendations. I'll also add Sugi.
    Last edited by nsamadi; 22nd February 2016 at 06:08 PM.

Goce by Kanebo, is a good option
    TOP 5: Penhaligons Racquets, Romeo Gigli Uomo, Great Jones Bond Nº 9, Polo Modern Reserve, Esencia Loewe Sport

My favo Japanese style scents

Issey Miyake Pour Homme
    Kenzo Tokyo
    Masaki Matsushima MAT: Very Male
    CDG Kyoto

Quote Originally Posted by nsamadi View Post
    I could be wrong but from my knowledge based on having a few Japanese friends, typical the Japanese don't wear scent. Not sure if they even wear deodorant or anything scented for that matter. So, a truly Japanese scent would be nothing.

But if I were to suggest anything, something from the house of CdG wouldn't be bad. I'm leaning closer to CdG 2. I'd also check out Gaiac 10 by Le Labo.

Also, a lot of my Japanese friends wear Eau d'Orange Verte by Hermes interestingly enough. Nothing Japanese about it though. Also, a perfume shop owner once told me she sells the Penhaligon's line like crazy in Japan.

Smelt Basala years ago but really felt it was very strong, very dry, very spicy. Didn't really get a Japanese vibe.

EDIT: Just re-read your post and noticed you aren't looking for anything too pricey or hard-to-find so Gaiac 10 would be out of the equation. 2nd the Kyoto and Hinoki recommendations. I'll also add Sugi.
    It kind of boils down to the question of whether one wants something like the Japanese wear (almost never use perfume, although I smell the odd calone bomb aquatic), something by a Japanese house, or something in a style that one associates with a Japanese aesthetic. For the Japanese aesthetic, do you want something vaguely authentic or something stereotyped?
    1. No, never blind buy (I do, but do as I say, not as I do. I'm taking no responsibility for your fragrance gambling).
    2. Get them both. You're a Basenoter and you know you're going to end up purchasing them both eventually.
    3. Yes, it has been reformulated.
    4. Looking for a signature scent? You've come to the wrong place.

Quote Originally Posted by Darjeeling View Post
    (almost never use perfume, although I smell the odd calone bomb aquatic)
    Forgot that as well. A few of my Japanese friends also wear Acqua di Gio.

Le Labo - Gaiac 10
    Currently wearing: Accord Oud by Byredo