Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default I Just Don't Get Oud

Well, I've had M7 since it first came out - it's okay, but not that exciting to me.

And that has been my reaction to every Oud scent that I've ever tested since then, ranging from oud scents put out by Pino Sylvestri to Creed.
    I don't own one scent with Oud in the name.

I feel kind of lonesome regarding this ingredient.
    Is anybody else as unenthusiastic about Oud as i am?
    Regards,
    Renato

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Oc8EZcvGG8

Default Re: I Just Don't Get Oud

It took me about a year to appreciate it. At first I could see why others would like it but it wasn't doing much for me. The dusty/woodsy/medicinal note made its way into my heart and now there's no going back. The real stuff is nice but I can't afford to wear it regularly.
    It is true that fish stink. It is also true that the river is
    beautiful. But the river would be beautiful despite the fish. What
    is noxious remains so.

That is not to say that sh*t is not useful when buried in the wheat
    field. Bread made from the field tastes sweet, wine from the arbor
    sweetest. All things serve a purpose, but that is no reason to
    glorify what is abominable. A man must still watch where he walks
    and keep his sandals clean.
    c.21 of the Egyptian Book of the Dead, Trans: Normandi Ellis

The supposedly read oud I've tried is quite interesting, but those two scents did not last long, in terms of what I thought of as the oud component. With vintage M7 and the other "designer ouds," if that's the best way to phrase it, I'd say that it functions in a similar way to the strong aldehydic scents, presumably beginning with Chanel No. 5, the difference being that oud is more dimensional and less steely/metallic. If you prefer something like a sandalwood note to serve that "backbone" function, for example, then I could understand the sentiment (or if you like syrupy or otherwise "structureless" compositions).

Reside in McLean, Va. Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

I happen to like oud but much more when it's a secondary player and not the primary player in the scent.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by superfluousPastry View Post
    It took me about a year to appreciate it. At first I could see why others would like it but it wasn't doing much for me. The dusty/woodsy/medicinal note made its way into my heart and now there's no going back. The real stuff is nice but I can't afford to wear it regularly.
    Interesting thanks.
    Who knows? Another ten years and I might finally get it too.
    Cheers,
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    If you prefer something like a sandalwood note to serve that "backbone" function, for example, then I could understand the sentiment (or if you like syrupy or otherwise "structureless" compositions).
    Thanks. You have described my tastes very accurately.
    Regards,
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I happen to like oud but much more when it's a secondary player and not the primary player in the scent.
    i'd appreciate some examples of scents that you like where oud is a secondary player as you perceive it, thanks.
    I'll check them out if possible.
    Regards,
    Renato

As far as I understand there are two types used in western scents. Firmeniche 's Oud blend that is an approximation of Oud oil and gives that rubbery, sticking plaster scent that people talk about. In my limited experience this is more common and I always think of Montale scents as being most representative of this ingredient. After the initial discordance it can add a pleasing smoothness to the heart of scents.
    The other is Givaudan's Black Agar that is a representation of the wood. This smells dusty and woody. It has a very earthy aspect that can make it seem similar to patchouli. I find it to be at its most unadulterated in Jo Malone's Oud & Bergamot, but also plays a big role in Leather Oud, Songe d'un Bois d'Ete and Oud Wood.

Of the two, I find the former to be the most challenging, but enjoy them both when used in a balanced composition.
    Touched by his noodly appendage 😇

I personally dislike the screechy, medicinal and thin synthetic oud accord found in many oud fragrances. Many Montales would be prime examples. Another big group are the oud fragrances without even a trace of oud. Creed Royal Oud is one of many.

But when it comes to real oud fragrances, I enjoy them very much. I love the woody, smoky, animalic and rubbery oud with a hint of something decaying. Dior's Leather Oud and Oud Cashmere Mood are such fragrances, and really great ones.

Dependent
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Darjeeling View Post
    As far as I understand there are two types used in western scents. Firmeniche 's Oud blend that is an approximation of Oud oil and gives that rubbery, sticking plaster scent that people talk about. In my limited experience this is more common and I always think of Montale scents as being most representative of this ingredient. After the initial discordance it can add a pleasing smoothness to the heart of scents.
    The other is Givaudan's Black Agar that is a representation of the wood. This smells dusty and woody. It has a very earthy aspect that can make it seem similar to patchouli. I find it to be at its most unadulterated in Jo Malone's Oud & Bergamot, but also plays a big role in Leather Oud, Songe d'un Bois d'Ete and Oud Wood.

Of the two, I find the former to be the most challenging, but enjoy them both when used in a balanced composition.
    Interesting. Thank you for such a comprehensive answer. Oud is an acquired taste in my opinion and a very expensive one at that. We went to an oncen resort a few months back and one of my relatives used Armani Prive's Oud Royal and the Japanese sales clerk who was selling lavender pillows(Furano prefecture) gave her a nasty look; I was shocked as we've never encountered such a reaction before. I, too, don't get oud and my wallet thanks me for it. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Ludlow View Post
    I personally dislike the screechy, medicinal and thin synthetic oud accord found in many oud fragrances. Many Montales would be prime examples. Another big group are the oud fragrances without even a trace of oud. Creed Royal Oud is one of many.

But when it comes to real oud fragrances, I enjoy them very much. I love the woody, smoky, animalic and rubbery oud with a hint of something decaying. Dior's Leather Oud and Oud Cashmere Mood are such fragrances, and really great ones.
    Yup, me too and I would add Oud Imperial black and 'ilm. I never got much oud in M7, certainly not enough to call it an "oud fragrance". Once one is somewhat familiar with several different oud oils, one becomes spoiled.

It's quite OK to not "get oud", and I understand the difficulty people have with this previously unfamiliar note. Western noses don't have the legacy of oud historically. But, once studied and familiarized can become quite an addiction. Most people don't like beer or coffee the first time, but there are huge industries for both.
    Last edited by Akahina; 25th February 2016 at 08:44 AM.
    1. Epic Man by Amouage (29 wears)
    2. Leather Oud by Christian Dior (27 wears)
    3. M7 by Yves Saint Laurent (22 wears)
    4. Oud Imperial (black) by Perris Monte Carlo (21 wears)
    5. Russian Tea Ritual by Masque (17 wears)
    6. Fate Man by Amouage (17 wears)

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
    Currently wearing: Fate Man by Amouage

So far, had the luck to find in LM Black Oud (and, to a lesser extent, also in M7 as well) a more than worth introduction to this note and may thus be slightly partial in favor of it, due to the enjoyment and excitement of mostly rewarding first experiences with oud
    Last edited by Ken_Russell; 25th February 2016 at 07:08 PM.

Dependent

I don't like pineapples. I just don't eat it.

Quote Originally Posted by jhericurls View Post
    I don't like pineapples. I just don't eat it.
    It really is that simple.
    Touched by his noodly appendage 😇

It is a polarizing note and its ok to talk about what we dislike. I've tried a lot of the real ouds and synthetic Western based ones and I found them to range from very funky/offensive to pleasant and enigmatic. I found Cambodian Oud to be the nicest I've tried though I think the note is best used as a supporting accord than a main one.

I think for our Western tastes medicinal Oud with all the funk that goes with it is just very hard to get along with.
    "There's No School Like The Old School."

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Darjeeling View Post

Well put.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Ludlow View Post

Agree with this one also. Medicinal, synthetic ouds are a non-starter for me (see Montale). The more natural smelling (see Leather Oud) the better.

Wearing Perfume Right Now

The only Oud perfume I've liked was M7 Oud Absolu (I've never tried the original). Tom Ford Oud Wood, Puredistance Black, and several others were a pass for me.

Basenotes Junkie

There is Polo Supreme that I'm willing to try. It is said to be synthetic oud (like most of the designers), but one of the most realistic ones. Took a read on the reviews and got me really interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie View Post
    There is Polo Supreme that I'm willing to try. It is said to be synthetic oud (like most of the designers), but one of the most realistic ones. Took a read on the reviews and got me really interested.
    It's not bad at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    Well, I've had M7 since it first came out - it's okay, but not that exciting to me.

And that has been my reaction to every Oud scent that I've ever tested since then, ranging from oud scents put out by Pino Sylvestri to Creed.

Regards,
    Renato
    I like real oud as found in oils (Ensar Ouds, Oriscent, etc.) and a very few niche fragrances (Vikt, Blackbird), and when it's blended in very well among other notes as a secondary or tertiary component and adds a clean, polished woody aroma. I don't like it in between, as it exists in most oud-centric fragrances in designer and niche perfume, for example; Oud by MFK, Oud Shamash by TDC, M7, etc. Here it's the star of the show but still a synthetic, manufactured facsimile of oud. I don't like it in this form, generally speaking.

In fragrances like Tom Ford Oud Wood and Versace Oud Noir, I find it removed enough from oud, or interpreted differently enough that I don't mind it.

I guess as far as oud goes it really depends on its interpretation, and to what extent it plays a role in the specific composition.
    Last edited by Buysblind; 25th February 2016 at 12:21 PM.

There are many, well made western fragrances that have an oud accord in them, but they range from non-detectable (Lalique Hommage a L'Homme) to an impression (Ferrari Oud Essence or Tom Ford's Oud Wood). I have, and enjoy, these fragrances, among many other, but have found they don't do the real thing justice. The few that I have, the oud is so complex, it's like a symphony playing a piece with several different movements. One goes from pungent cheese to leather to a sweet, incense-aura, another like milled red berries sitting in a dank, aged dungeon made of wood. The last has a mixture of both.

The westernized stuff, including the Montale's I've had or have tried, is like a quartet focusing on several of notes the full symphony plays. The real stuff is an experience, a journey. The accord found in most westernized stuff is like a destination, the end-note/game. I tend to find that, as with most things in life, the journey itself is much more fascinating because of the experience - more so than the purpose or intent (see National Lampoon's Vacation and going to Wally World as an analogy).
    Last edited by The Bark; 25th February 2016 at 01:13 PM.
    The Bark Bites Back on film here --> https://thebarkbitesback.wordpress.com
    Currently wearing: Journey Man by Amouage

I've found the synthetic stuff to be hit or miss with me. But, the real stuff typically I enjoy quite much.
    MadHat Scents

Brineapple (Pineapple, Guava, Ylang Ylang, Marine Notes, Green Tea, Cade, Guaiacwood, Cedar Wood, Ozone) / Fur - ONLY 60ML REMAINING - (Vintage Musks, Woods, Leather) / Onsen Wood (Hinoki/Hiba/Cedar/Yuzu) / Vert Moss (Oakmoss Absolute, Cologne, Vetiver, Incense, Cedar) / L.O.M. Leather Oud Musk (Leather, Oud, Musk, Beeswax, Tobacco, Strawberry, Incense & Amber)

Always be smelling

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    I've found the synthetic stuff to be hit or miss with me. But, the real stuff typically I enjoy quite much.
    any recommendations: fragrances that have good oud - preferably affordable

Sound Scents

Quote Originally Posted by epapsiou View Post
    any recommendations: fragrances that have good oud - preferably affordable
    High quality compositions containing real Oud and affordable aren't compatible (well, technically "affordable" is a relative term, so some may indeed find them so).

The least expensive *real* Oud focused composition I have sniffed is Oud by the Brooklyn Perfume Company... It sells for $150 for a 30ml bottle. Other options with the Oud as a secondary player, but containing the real stuff are the superb Oud sister scents from The Different Company -- Oud Shamash and Oud for Love, both just under $200 for 50 ml, Oud Assam by Rania J for under $200, Thirty-Three by Ex Idolo for around $200 for 30 ml (rose and Oud combo, but more about the Rose than Oud).

My favorite real Oud focused composition though is a real bank breaker from Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle called The Night. It is a rose/Oud composition, but focuses much more on the Oud (all high quality, real -- and plentiful). The price is around $750+ for 50ml or $1200+ for 100ml. Pretty much high quality real Oud is quite expensive in relative terms.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) Polo vintage (Ralph Lauren) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

I live for oud I guess personal preference is diverse but how can anyone not like oud. A bit like saying - how can anyone not like chocolate? (there are some out there), would you say your in the minority?

Reside in McLean, Va. Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

i'd appreciate some examples of scents that you like where oud is a secondary player as you perceive it, thanks.
    I'll check them out if possible.
    Regards,
    Renato
    Two recent ones that come to mind are Honey Aoud and Oud Saphir - subtle in both.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

I really like Ex Idolo's Thirty-Three for real, aged oud as a secondary note. It has aged patchouli and rose, too, but it just feels warm and ancient (in a good way). No oud-y funk, just a nice, well blended velvety scent. The 30ml goes for $120, the 50ml $185 (at least on Luckyscent). It's an edp, and fairly long lasting at that.
    The Bark Bites Back on film here --> https://thebarkbitesback.wordpress.com
    Currently wearing: Journey Man by Amouage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Oc8EZcvGG8

If you like amber and myrrh, you might be able to tolerate the light oud note in Halston Man Amber. It's a cheapie too.
    It is true that fish stink. It is also true that the river is
    beautiful. But the river would be beautiful despite the fish. What
    is noxious remains so.

That is not to say that sh*t is not useful when buried in the wheat
    field. Bread made from the field tastes sweet, wine from the arbor
    sweetest. All things serve a purpose, but that is no reason to
    glorify what is abominable. A man must still watch where he walks
    and keep his sandals clean.
    c.21 of the Egyptian Book of the Dead, Trans: Normandi Ellis

I've never tried an oud centric attar or oud oil. But the heaviest ouds I've experienced come from Montale. I quite enjoy most of their oud heavy fragrances. I was able to sample Dior Leather Oud and found it very unpleasant, though I think the civet and leather had more to do with it than oud.
    Current Top Picks:

Viktor & Rolf - Spicebomb
    Guerlain - Habit Rouge Dress Code
    Dolce & Gabbana - The One EDP
    Hermes- Ambre Narguile
    Parfums de Marly - Herod
    Christian Dior - Fève Délicieuse
    Parfums de Marly - Oajan
    Imaginary Authors - Memoirs of a Trespasser
    Montale - Aoud Leather
    Creed - Aventus
    Currently wearing: Grey Vetiver by Tom Ford

Regards,
    Renato
    To really appreciate oud you will need to get into the pure oud oils.
    But be careful when you get there is no way back.
    First time I try pure oud was around 4 months ago now my bank account have around 10,000$ less all other perfumes smell like garbage to me, and I have over 100 of them with around 20 from the western style oud perfumes and they specially are the biggest crap of all compare to the pure oud oils.
    Is been around 4 months when last time I wear perfume and probably the last time that will ever wear perfumes again.
    1977 - Snuff by Schiaparelli
    2007 - Oud Wood Tom Ford
    1976 - Yatagan Caron
    1981 - Kouros YSL
    1980 - Patou Pour Homme
    1987 - Lapidus by Ted Lapidus
    1966 - Aramis by Aramis
    1980 - Jules Christian Dior
    2013 - Sahara Noir Tom Ford
    1975 - Bourjois Masculin 2