Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default How Many Fragrances is "Too Many"?!

Since I've really gotten into fragrances and I'm beginning to wonder, how many is too many?

I haven't done a count, but I currently have at least 70-75 bottles, most of them 100ml or more. Say for example.. I wear two daily. A scent of the day and a scent of the evening.. That kind of a collection is still going to last me a long, long time. I find it somewhat difficult to genuinely wear all these fragrances, and my collection is somewhat tiny in comparison to most Basenoters.. Time passes by and many never get a chance to be truly worn..

I'm actually beginning to wonder can I realistically use this amount of fragrance in one lifetime. Some bottles I reach for more often than other, obviously. I have my favourites. If I had to pick a dozen for example, I definitely could. Others I buy.. then try.. then stash them away and they're rarely if ever used again. I hear stories about fragrances going "off" over the years, when I hear things like that I begin to worry a little about my more expensive/niche bottles..

I've decided to put the brakes on the whole buying thing. I've covered most bases that I want to really, I feel like anything else that might interest me is too similar to what I already own to warrant buying a full bottle. I'm beginning to see similarities in fragrances already to the extent of where I feel I don't really need the two. Sometimes I feel as if I'm buying a fragrance as much for the fact of owning it as the juice in the bottle (which may be somewhat similar to what I already own)

I was just curious to know what you fellow members think is an ideal size of a collection? How many bottles do you own yourself? How often do you wear each bottle? And most importantly, how many you think is too many?!

Thanks.
    Last edited by MonsieurChanel; 1st March 2016 at 11:40 AM.

Always be smelling

Default Re: How Many Fragrances is "Too Many"?!

A year ago I had three and I thought I had too many. Now I have 40 FB + decants + samples and I think I don't have enough.
    It is too many if and only if you think it is too many.
    There is one exception. Hednic - he has too many
    Beauty needs no morality or righteousness.
    It, like nature, does not give a shit
    Currently wearing: Escada Homme by Escada

Banned

More than 1 is too many...

Basenotes Plus

No one size fits all. It's in the eyes of the beholder .

My "Too Many" is > 1,000

Disclaimer: the figure is subject to change at any time.
    Last edited by CapriDog; 29th February 2016 at 11:36 PM.

How many is too many???

That's funny, lol.....,

No such thing as too many.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Personally speaking, 30 is enough and anything in excess of 40 is overkill. About 20 is ideal. It's better to have more serious relationships with absolutely favourite fragrances, rather than just casually hobnob with many and let them gather dust.

But many enjoy a wider variety and are happy with 50, 60, 70 - 100+ bottles so that's perfectly all right.

A good rule of thumb is that if you are thinking about how many bottles are or would be too many, you probably have too many bottles.

It's also not only bottles, but the bottle size as well. Hence decants, minis and travel sprays are often useful in this regard - to help reduce collection size in terms of volume.
    a bottle a day keeps the doc away

Perfume Reviews
    Sale Thread
    Swap Thread
    Wanted Thread

Somewhere in the hundreds is a personal take on this
    Currently wearing: Citrus & Wood by Yardley

I personally like to keep my collection well under 20 bottles, I'm currently at 13 bottles plus decants and samples. I enjoy using my fragrances with some regularity and also enjoy seeing a large number of bottles in my wardrobe being less than 50% full. When I first joined Basenotes I was blind buying a lot and my collection was somewhere in the 60's, but many of my blind buys were big regrets for me. I didn't enjoy having a collection of that size with so many fragrances that I didn't love. I do enjoy sampling, swapping, and giving away my fragrances if they're not getting used.

I don't believe there is some magic number for a collection, though. My number is what works for me and may or may not work for others. I don't think that those with large collections have 'too many.' It's really a personal preference. The last two bottle purchases for me were a year ago. I've obtained a couple bottles in swaps but have been purchasing/swapping for samples and decants recently. Some don't like to fuss with samples/decants, but I've found that once you have an established wardrobe of over 10 bottles, a sample or decant can last for weeks, sometimes months, and often times that's plenty of an experience for me with a given fragrance.

For me, it used to be 30. Any more and I'd stress out. I've relaxed a bit lately. I'm cruising along with 38 full bottles at the moment. I got tired of the self-imposed guilt trip.

I will say I once got up to 60 plus bottles about 6 years ago or so and I was miserable. Never felt I'd get around to them all.

I don't want too many, ever how many that is.

I think 20-30 would be very manageable. I have about 700, which is more than I can use up, but I am not too worried about that. I just enjoy wearing something different every day.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by MonsieurChanel View Post
    How many bottles do you own yourself? And most importantly, how many you think is too many?!

Thanks.
    Approaching 2,600 bottles. No set amount for me, is too many.
    Last edited by hednic; 1st March 2016 at 12:28 AM.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

When I started, I thought 30 would be a good number. About one for every day of the month. Then when I got to 30, I figured maybe 60 was a better number. Then 100 was the magic number.... Now, I am thinking 365 sound like a good target.

Some don't get worn much for sure. But it's nice to know they are there when I want them. And normally the ones that get neglected are the cheapies. Not worth getting rid of those...
    Current Spring Favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    4. Clive Christian - 1872 for Men
    5. Tom Ford - Rive d’Ambre
    6. Ermenegildo Zegna - Javanese Patchouli
    7. Les Nez - Turtle Vetiver Back
    8. Tom Ford - Grey Vetiver EDP
    9. Creed - Green Valley
    10. Parfumerie Generale - Grand Siecle Intense 7.1

Does that exist? For me personally, when I get over 100 bottles...I feel like it's time for a purge and get it down to a more manageable level.
    Eph 2:8: For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith-and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God-
    Currently wearing: Wanted by Night by Azzaro

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    How many of those bottles would you guess have gone bad?

Guud Lawd!!!! Do you happen to have a panoramic picture of that....? I couldn't even imagine what that would look like.....

You have too many when you start to regret what you have.
    Currently wearing: Infusion d'Homme by Prada

I was just curious to know what you fellow members think is an ideal size of a collection? How many bottles do you own yourself? How often do you wear each bottle? And most importantly, how many you think is too many?!

I have reduced my wardrobe superbly to 10. This is what makes me most happy. I don't wear fragrance every single day, I did this also when I had 50+. I prefer to enjoy my fragrances, I have sampled many and many different types and my process of elimination worked to what I love and wear best. I have covered all basis - Day/Night, Season, Favourites - with 10 FB's.

I wear my fragrances every 2nd day, and on important occasions or outings. Theres no need to wear them every single day, ones nose cannot appreciate the fragrance for what it is if every day a new smell was being breathed in.

There are a million fragrances out there, no need to buy continuously - unless however - one has more $$'s than they can do with is the exception

This works perfectly for me.

I think any more than enough to give me 1 scent per day for an entire month is too many. I'm creeping to that number though, currently at 20 or 22 something.
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

I'll use my standard collecting rule: you have too many when you have lost track of what you have to the point that you inadvertently rebuy something you already have.
    Currently wearing: Sun by Zents

Been tinkering with less than 100. Keeps me pretty occupied. I try to smell most of them every week if I have time. I love the nostalgia.

I think it's completely up to the owner. There isn't a set number. My nephew has 15 and he can barely keep up with them.
    Last edited by Jowan; 1st March 2016 at 02:00 AM.
    Currently wearing: Luna Rossa Carbon by Prada

Quote Originally Posted by dealt7faux View Post
    You have too many when you start to regret what you have.
    I agree, it's only too much when you start to feel bad about what you have, or what you have spent!

Never announced my personal number, but will say its more than I'm comfortable with really. I personally would like a solid 8-10 that I just absolutely adore above all others and have been working towards that for over a year selling backups and what not. If I'm not absolutely crazy about it, I don't want it. It has to move me on a deep level.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

I don't know the number but I know I am past it.
    1. Epic Man by Amouage (33 wears)
    2. Leather Oud by Christian Dior (31 wears)
    3. M7 by Yves Saint Laurent (27 wears)
    4. Oud Imperial (black) by Perris Monte Carlo (22 wears)
    5. Russian Tea Ritual by Masque (20 wears)
    6. Fate Man by Amouage (19 wears)

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
    Currently wearing: H.M. by Hanae Mori

Awesome 😁

Has a curator been hired to do the formal catalog, or will it be more of an informal affair?

I think having 20 to 40 is good enough for me. I need to have fragrances that I absolutely enjoy in my collection. Also, I want to actually use my bottles and not let them just collect dust.

Personally, I think I top out around 7 or so

If I can't wear a scent at least once a week, I probably don't like it enough to own
    Currently wearing: Eau de Cologne by Chanel

Basenotes Institution Darjeeling's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Akahina View Post
    I don't know the number but I know I am past it.
    This.

Next important question: How long is a piece of string?
    1. No, never blind buy (I do, but do as I say, not as I do. I'm taking no responsibility for your fragrance gambling).
    2. Get them both. You're a Basenoter and you know you're going to end up purchasing them both eventually.
    3. Yes, it has been reformulated.
    4. Looking for a signature scent? You've come to the wrong place.

I would actually love to see a picture of your entire collection. I can't even imagine how that would look
    Currently wearing: Eau de Cologne by Chanel

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post
    I would actually love to see a picture of your entire collection. I can't even imagine how that would look
    I dream of this too...
    Currently wearing: Accord Oud by Byredo