Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Junkie

Default Frederic Malle Russian Nights home fragrance

Greetings! I recently splurged on a Frederic Malle Russian Nights fragrance gun. I purchased it in Europe for considerably less than the US retail price.

It wasn't until I returned home and dug out a sample of Dries Van Noten that I realized the similarity between the two scents. Is my nose playing tricks on me or is Russian Nights the home fragrance incarnation of Dries Van Noten??

The fragrance gun stays in Spain so, I can't now compare them. I hope some of our resident Malle experts can set me straight. Thank you!

Default Re: Frederic Malle Russian Nights home fragrance

Hmmm....I've never thought about that! I own the Russian Nights perfume gun but not DVN, and of course the Barneys near me is closed, so I can't go back and resample for myself. They are both sandalwood dominant, so that could explain some of it.
    Currently wearing: El Paso by Lomani

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by BRM85282 View Post
    Hmmm....I've never thought about that! I own the Russian Nights perfume gun but not DVN, and of course the Barneys near me is closed, so I can't go back and resample for myself. They are both sandalwood dominant, so that could explain some of it.
    Thanks for your response!! If you get a chance to compare, I'd love to have your thoughts. I wish now that I had siphoned off a bit from the gun and brought some home to compare.

I may be delusional but it now strikes me as very similar - so, I wondered if they simply rename home fragrance products that are very much inspired by personal fragrances (and vice versa in the case of Dries), as many houses do e.g., Diptyque, Byredo etc.

Didnt try Russian Nights but DRIES VAN NOTEN is just an awesome piece of work. May the similarity you are getting is because of "sandalwood" common note of both of them.

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by hitman View Post
    Didnt try Russian Nights but DRIES VAN NOTEN is just an awesome piece of work. May the similarity you are getting is because of "sandalwood" common note of both of them.
    Yep, I agree that Dries Van Noten is fantastic stuff!! You may be right about me just picking up on the sandalwood found in both - but from my scent memory, they really do seem to have more in common.

I see that each fragrance is attributed to a different creator/nose so, it appears that they were commissioned to be two different scents.

Nouveau Nez, I think you are right. I have Malle's Russian NIghts on my left wrist and Dries Van Noten on my right and they are very similar. The Dries has a faint citrusy topnote that weaves subtly through the first 20 minutes (most noticeable when first applied) along with the sweeter notes of vanilla/cinnamon/sandalwood.incense while the Russian Nights subs in a powdery orris/iris to complement the sweeter chewy doughy notes. The Russian Nights is also lighter, but still sticks around for 3-4 hours on my skin. I yes wear it on skin no problem, as I do most parfums d'ambience, even though the instructions say not to. I just assume that admonition is to safeguard themselves from possible lawsuits in case someone with sensitive skin sprays it on skin and develops allergies/skin reaction. As far as I can tell, the Perfume Gun is no longer available though, and has been replaced with 'rubber incense' for the 2018 holiday season. Oh, and Sophia Grojsman created Russian Nights and her name is plastered on the 'gun,' though to my nose she just tinkered with the original formula.