Code of Conduct

Default Maxims Orphee - Watermelon?

Is anyone familiar with Maxims Orphee - http://www.basenotes.net/ID26121237.html / http://www.fragrantica.com/perfume/M...hee-11065.html

I want to pull the trigger on a 50ml, but only if it's fruity. And by fruity - I don't mean AdG or modern men's "fruity". Not citric fruits/citrus. I mean like FRUITY. Paris Hilton for Men fruity.
    Never leave the house without six sprays.

My Top 5:
    1. Xeryus Rouge (vintage)
    2. Womanity
    3. Perry Ellis "m"
    4. Truth or Dare by Madonna
    5. Alien Absolue

Default Re: Maxims Orphee - Watermelon?

I would be interested to hear opinions on this as well. And maybe how it compared to MI or CH Chic

Reside in McLean, Va. Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

I own a large bottle of Orphee by Maxim and love it. It does have a prominent watermelon note up front.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I own a large bottle of Orphee by Maxim and love it. It does have a prominent watermelon note up front.
    Does the watermelon fade and have a green drydown?

My Top 5:
    2. Womanity
    3. Perry Ellis "m"
    5. Alien Absolue

I had a sample of this that I got in a trade with a basenoter, but it had gone bad. Would love to try it again.
    Currently wearing: Augusto by Mazzolari

Quote Originally Posted by xoxoMyke View Post
    Does the watermelon fade and have a green drydown?
    It does eventually fade and as I recall, it does have a green dry down.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

_bump!_

My Top 5:
    2. Womanity
    3. Perry Ellis "m"
    5. Alien Absolue

20160830_091438.jpg

I finally bought it! It's taken me 3 years but I did it!!!

My Top 5:
    2. Womanity
    3. Perry Ellis "m"
    5. Alien Absolue

20160830_091438.jpg

I finally bought it! It's taken me 3 years but I did it!!!
    Congrats! Great scent.

Wow, great price! Let us know your thoughts!

Basenotes Member

It has a very strong watermelon note, and for me, it sticks around on top for about 6-8 hours before reaching the drydown. To be honest, it is kind of close to Curve Appeal, but a little more woodsy. I really like it; I have a 100 ml bottle. Le Vainqueur by Rance is another great watermelon scent, but it's even closer to Curve Appeal, so it's hard to justify the extra money. I just happened to get a good price on Orphee, as did you!

Quote Originally Posted by Perovskite View Post
    It has a very strong watermelon note, and for me, it sticks around on top for about 6-8 hours before reaching the drydown. To be honest, it is kind of close to Curve Appeal, but a little more woodsy. I really like it; I have a 100 ml bottle. Le Vainqueur by Rance is another great watermelon scent, but it's even closer to Curve Appeal, so it's hard to justify the extra money. I just happened to get a good price on Orphee, as did you!
    Curve Appeal is nice! I recommend it all the time when the average guy asks me what he should wear/buy/look into.

I can see it receiving lots of compliments.

However, I do draw a line with quality. It has that calone/synthetic nature that grates my nerves. It's almost metallic. I can detect it because I've smelled 200-300 fragrances. The average guy wouldn't catch it and infact, that might be one of the appealing qualities when someone smells it.

My Top 5:
    2. Womanity
    3. Perry Ellis "m"
    5. Alien Absolue

I owned Orphee for a few months 4 years back and I remember it being kinda similar to Kenneth Cole Reaction but not of much higher quality and maybe a bit more feminine as well and that's why I don't have it anymore. I prefer Reaction to Orphee but I don't own reaction either so I just reach for MI when I want some musky Melon. I got that pesky synthetic caloney vibe from reaction and Orphee .
    Last edited by Wheredjaredgo; 30th August 2016 at 07:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheredjaredgo View Post
    I owned Orphee for a few months 4 years back and I remember it being kinda similar to Kenneth Cole Reaction but not of much higher quality and maybe a bit more feminine as well and that's why I don't have it anymore. I prefer Reaction to Orphee but I don't own reaction either so I just reach for MI when I want some musky Melon. I got that pesky synthetic caloney vibe from reaction and Orphee .
    I'll let you know if I agree.

I prefer KC Connected and KC TShirt to KC Reaction.

My Top 5:
    2. Womanity
    3. Perry Ellis "m"
    5. Alien Absolue

I'm concerned this is going to smell like Kenneth Cole Reaction.

I find KC Reaction to be an icky, shrilling synthetic watery calone mess.

My Top 5:
    2. Womanity
    3. Perry Ellis "m"
    5. Alien Absolue

I'm concerned this is going to smell like Kenneth Cole Reaction.
    Wait until you get it and then judge for yourself. You might just surprise yourself and find you really like it.

This is a fragrance I discovered online back in 2013 when I was searching for a men’s fragrance with a dominant watermelon note.

There is little about this fragrance online. As of July 2017, there are the three reviews on Fragrantica, and only one of those reviews actually discusses the fragrance. Of course, this review is a generic sentence claiming the fragrance is a “fresh fruity smell.” There are four reviews on Basenotes yet all four contradict each other. One says the fragrance is “fresh, fruity, summery”, a second says the fragrance is similar to Kenneth Cole Reaction with less sour apple, one says it’s a watermelon bubblegum scent, and the final review says it smells like Eaux de Caron Pure Caron. There are also a few threads on Basenotes where users have inquired about a cologne with a dominant watermelon note and several users heralded Maxim's Orphée as a “watermelon bomb.” ▪

Well, I finally purchased the fragrance for $30, and I’m finally ready to review. I’m happy to know the truth. This fragrance does not smell anything like watermelon. The initial spray smells of the sour musk in KC Reaction before a very intense, fresh, spicy mint note takes over. There’s an underlying sweetness that I’m sure the perfumers want you think is watermelon, but it’s not any watermelon I’ve smelled. It’s not aqueous or fruity like a watermelon. Orphée is spicy, bright, clean, and sweet. It’s very appropriate for office wear. Its longevity is close to four hours.

It’s very reminiscent of Kenneth Cole Reaction, Jaguar Vision II, and Escada’s Moon Sparkle for Men. It’s less sour and less musky than Reaction. It’s sweeter than Jaguar Vision II. As for Moon Sparkle, the similarity is the extremely spicy, freshness but not as woody.

While it’s nice to finally to have my curiosity anointed, I will be honest and say I’m not impressed, and, rather, I'm completely, utterly, and totally disappointed. I wanted a fresh watermelon scent. Instead, I got a higher quality KC Reaction.

It's a great masculine scent, but it's not the watermelon fragrance everyone makes it out to be.

My Top 5:
    2. Womanity
    3. Perry Ellis "m"
    5. Alien Absolue

At least you gave it a fair and honest shot even if it turned out to disappoint you. I guess your quest for the optimal watermelon scent continues.

I alwasy felt like Orphee was the best of all the watermelon fragrances, since it was so natural, and had the green smell of the rind too. But it's far from a watermelon soliflore, and has no "watermelon candy" in it. MI is another one which utilizes a great melon note, but could never be thought of as a true watermelon fragrance.

I agree though, that Orphee, is essentially, a higher quality, more tastefully composed Kenneth Cole Reaction.