Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Plus

Default M. Micallef - older style bottles/packaging.

So, I just received my bottle of Gaiac in from FragranceX.

It's an older style (probably 2004-2006 based on the ingredients list area - see pic).

Except.. it didn't come wrapped in cellophane - were older M. Micallef's wrapped in cellophane?

Also, the bottle sprayed on the very first depress I did, but I don't know if that's because it's been used before, or just because of the hot/warmer weather it's been sitting in on it's way to me.

It's probably legit (Who would fake an older M. Micallef such as this?..), but I guess I'm kind of disappointed. I wasn't expecting a kind of beat up packaging.

Gaiac was released in 2005, so this is probably a 2004-2006 run (or more likely 2004-2005? When did the 'requirement' to list for allergens or whatever kick in?)

Note the 3 ingredient long list:

If the frag itself is good, then hey, whatever, I might have an OG/pre-reform bottle, - Just kind of surprised me the way it came.

Any of you with older M. Micallef packaging, did it come wrapped in cellophane?

I tried calling, but it's probably past their customer support time, I can try back tomorrow or something. I probably won't be able to get a replacement, as it's showing they don't have any more, but maybe I can get a partial refund. »\_(ツ)_/»

For any newcomers to the frag scene, don't be scared of FragranceX, they're a reputable discounter. I was assuming I'd receive a new frag, however.. maybe it is, maybe older ones didn't come wrapped in cellophane, I don't know.
    Last edited by ILikePeeps; 14th March 2016 at 07:55 PM.
    **Resident Basenotes .gif responder!**
    dougczar: "Like I always say, if you like something BUY IT. If you love it, BUY TWO."
    Tmoran: "Gamma radiation made the hulk but I dont think he could drink a bottle of kouros and survive."
    All Hail King Kouros!

Reside in McLean, Va. Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & B˙zios Brasil

Default Re: M. Micallef - older style bottles/packaging.

Quote Originally Posted by ILikePeeps View Post

Any of you with older M. Micallef packaging, did it come wrapped in cellophane?
    Most of my Micallefs are old packaging and I don't recall their being cellophane wrapped
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Most of my Micallefs are old packaging and I don't recall their being cellophane wrapped
    This is good news if true, thank you hednic!

Also, I scanned the bar code with my phone and it did kick back results for Gaiac EdP, whether current or not bottle type. So that's a good sign also.
    dougczar: "Like I always say, if you like something BUY IT. If you love it, BUY TWO."
    Tmoran: "Gamma radiation made the hulk but I dont think he could drink a bottle of kouros and survive."
    All Hail King Kouros!

This is good news if true, thank you hednic!

Also, I scanned the bar code with my phone and it did kick back results for Gaiac EdP, whether current or not bottle type. So that's a good sign also.
    A wood cap on a Guaiac is definitely the older version.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

My newer Royal vintage didn't come wrapped. Just has the plastic sleeve like the Bonds.
    Ohh to be a, GOONER!

This sure looks like an authentic older Micallef to me.

I started wearing the Micallef Aoud back when it was just called Aoud and not Aoud Pour Homme. My first bottle came in a box similar to yours that was not encased in cellophane. So - enjoy your purchase, it looks beautiful.

Basenotes Plus

A wood cap on a Guaiac is definitely the older version.
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner_glory View Post
    My newer Royal vintage didn't come wrapped. Just has the plastic sleeve like the Bonds.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jardanel View Post
    This sure looks like an authentic older Micallef to me.

I started wearing the Micallef Aoud back when it was just called Aoud and not Aoud Pour Homme. My first bottle came in a box similar to yours that was not encased in cellophane. So - enjoy your purchase, it looks beautiful.
    Thanks for y'all's input!
    All Hail King Kouros!

I have a question as well. Yesterday, I received a bottle of Avant Garde from FragranceNet, and the bottle style appears to be a bit different than most pictures I've seen. Anybody know the scoop?

This is what my bottle looks like (hopefully, you can see this):

This is what the newer bottles look like based on most pics I've seen:

Quote Originally Posted by bassplayer7770 View Post
    I have a question as well. Yesterday, I received a bottle of Avant Garde from FragranceNet, and the bottle style appears to be a bit different than most pictures I've seen. Anybody know the scoop?

They changed the design of many of the bottles.

The original Avant Garde which I own looks like this image below:
    Last edited by hednic; 30th March 2016 at 01:12 PM.

The original Avant Garde which I own looks like this:
    I can see the pic you posted on my phone, and thanks for the info. I assumed it was legit, but I thought I'd ask. Your bottle looks the same with a different cap.
    Last edited by bassplayer7770; 30th March 2016 at 01:08 PM.

On a side note, how do you like Avant Garde? My first wearing was last night. It seemed subtle but pleasant.

On a side note, how do you like Avant Garde? My first wearing was last night. It seemed subtle but pleasant.
    It was one of the first Micallef's I owned and I happen to like it a lot.

It was one of the first Micallef's I owned and I happen to like it a lot.
    I feel like I got a stupid good deal on mine.

I feel like I got a stupid good deal on mine.
    You got it at the right time. It's much more affordable now.

Basenotes Plus

So, maybe bassplayer's is some time between initial release and latest style. Do you know when they changed to the current stuff, hednic? Was it like ~2 years ago, ~3, etc.
    All Hail King Kouros!

So, maybe bassplayer's is some time between initial release and latest style. Do you know when they changed to the current stuff, hednic? Was it like ~2 years ago, ~3, etc.
    I'd say closer to 3. It was the same time they changed the wooden cap to a metal cap on Guiaic, jeweled caps to non-jeweled caps on others, and G.Nejman fragrances were re-bottled into the current Micallef bottles.

I'm new, good morning.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by rheardjr View Post
    I'm new, good morning.

Welcome to you!

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by rheardjr View Post
    I'm new, good morning.

Interesting thread choice for that announcement,

But, welcome!
    All Hail King Kouros!