Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Reside in McLean, Va. Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil
    Posts
    220,853

    Default New Fragrance from The Different Company - Adjatay!

    From Cafleurebon:

    "Debuting at Esxcense 2016, a new fragrance will be launched Adjatay, a collaboration with Creative Director Luc Gabriel and Alexandra Monet. Adjatay which reference a powerful Djinn, is the newest addition to Collection Juste Chic which had previously consisted of fragrances only composed by Jean Claude Ellena, Celine Ellena and Christine Nagel.
    According to Luc, “I brought this tuberose flower back from Grasse and forgot her in an unpretentious black leather bag. She refused to give in and for days her stubborn warmth strived to bring the leathery silky animal notes of my worn out bag back to life. Alexandra grabbed the idea and turned the white beast into a wild yet elegant, tender yet loud perfume, hypnotic, untamable". Mme. Monet says, “Tanned, flexible, grain-embossed, full-grain, varnished… I have always loved working on leather notes for their carnal facets and the infinite possibilities they offer. For “Adjatay, “ cuir narcotique” I wanted to work on a full, dark and textured leather, a leather that squeaks in your hands, a leather with a debauchery sillage. To obtain these particular effects, I associated dark and spicy notes with Styrax essence, Castoreum essence and Papyrus essential oil. On this leather structure, I dropped off a subversive Tuberose from which narcotic notes get away to engulf the atmosphere".
    Available in 100 ml RRP Europe: 160 €: April 2016 via The Different Co.



    Top Notes
    Ylang-ylang, Mandarin
    Heart Notes
    Tuberose, Jasmine, Heliotrope
    Base Notes
    Castoreum, Storax, Papyrus, Tonka bean, Sandalwood, Musk
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

  2. #2
    Basenotes Institution dougczar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    27,722

    Default Re: New Fragrance from The Different Company - Adjatay!

    Thanks for the info hednic! One of my favorite houses, but this one I think is going to be a pass... too many red flags for my taste, but may give it a try at some point.
    Current Spring Favorites:
    1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    4. Clive Christian - 1872 for Men
    5. Tom Ford - Grey Vetiver
    6. Ermenegildo Zegna - Haitian Vetiver
    7. Les Nez - Turtle Vetiver Back
    8. Tom Ford - Rive d’Ambre
    9. Creed - Green Valley
    10. Parfumerie Generale - Grand Siecle Intense 7.1

  3. #3
    Sound Scents
    drseid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    Northern VA/DC Area
    Posts
    11,360

    Default Re: New Fragrance from The Different Company - Adjatay!

    I didn't know what to expect with this one, as the perfumer, Monet, is relatively new on the scene (and tuberose is not a favorite note of mine, at least not on *me*)...

    Hesitancy aside, I am wearing Adjatay right now from a sample, and early-on at least I am highly impressed. The tuberose is certainly there, but jasmine and ylang-ylang are skillfully melded with it to produce a more soft, almost fruity, near peony-like concoction. Underneath the focal white and yellow floral trio is very nicely done supporting leather. The leather isn't exactly soft or suede-like, but it is less hardcore than some of the scary leathers encountered frequently in compositions, presentations that definitely would not work here. There is just a trace of the leather's animallic facet coupled with some relatively tame musk in the base to give the composition a hint of dirtiness without going anywhere near over-the-line. Performance metrics remain to be seen, but solely on smell in a relatively disappointing year for new releases, I feel this may be the best thing I have sniffed so far and one that may get me to open my wallet. Adjatay turns out to be a superb unisex floral leather release.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

    6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) Polo vintage (Ralph Lauren) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

  4. #4
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Reside in McLean, Va. Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil
    Posts
    220,853

    Default Re: New Fragrance from The Different Company - Adjatay!

    Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    One of my favorite houses
    Mine too. Did you ever get a chance to try it? Bought it when it first came out and didn't think I was going to like it and thought I would pass it on to my daughter because of the tuberose, but I found it to be very nice after all.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

  5. #5
    Basenotes Institution dougczar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    27,722

    Default Re: New Fragrance from The Different Company - Adjatay!

    Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Mine too. Did you ever get a chance to try it? Bought it when it first came out and didn't think I was going to like it and thought I would pass it on to my daughter because of the tuberose, but I found it to be very nice after all.
    No, I still haven't given it a try - but I think I am going to have to give it a try soon. It sounds like it has some potential!
    Current Spring Favorites:
    1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    4. Clive Christian - 1872 for Men
    5. Tom Ford - Grey Vetiver
    6. Ermenegildo Zegna - Haitian Vetiver
    7. Les Nez - Turtle Vetiver Back
    8. Tom Ford - Rive d’Ambre
    9. Creed - Green Valley
    10. Parfumerie Generale - Grand Siecle Intense 7.1

  6. #6

    Default Re: New Fragrance from The Different Company - Adjatay!

    Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    I didn't know what to expect with this one, as the perfumer, Monet, is relatively new on the scene (and tuberose is not a favorite note of mine, at least not on *me*)...

    Hesitancy aside, I am wearing Adjatay right now from a sample, and early-on at least I am highly impressed. The tuberose is certainly there, but jasmine and ylang-ylang are skillfully melded with it to produce a more soft, almost fruity, near peony-like concoction. Underneath the focal white and yellow floral trio is very nicely done supporting leather. The leather isn't exactly soft or suede-like, but it is less hardcore than some of the scary leathers encountered frequently in compositions, presentations that definitely would not work here. There is just a trace of the leather's animallic facet coupled with some relatively tame musk in the base to give the composition a hint of dirtiness without going anywhere near over-the-line. Performance metrics remain to be seen, but solely on smell in a relatively disappointing year for new releases, I feel this may be the best thing I have sniffed so far and one that may get me to open my wallet. Adjatay turns out to be a superb unisex floral leather release.
    Wow! This is on my list now. Sounded too feminine for me initially. Love this House

  7. #7
    Sound Scents
    drseid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    Northern VA/DC Area
    Posts
    11,360

    Default Re: New Fragrance from The Different Company - Adjatay!

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    Wow! This is on my list now. Sounded too feminine for me initially. Love this House
    It does lean "feminine" by most standards, but not overly so, IMO. The florals play more of a role than the underlying leather, but the whole thing comes together rather nicely, IMO. Great work by the perfumer.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

    6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) Polo vintage (Ralph Lauren) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

  8. #8

    Default Re: New Fragrance from The Different Company - Adjatay!

    Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    It does lean "feminine" by most standards, but not overly so, IMO. The florals play more of a role than the underlying leather, but the whole thing comes together rather nicely, IMO. Great work by the perfumer.
    The leather in Cuir Pleine Fleur is understated also -- any similarities ? I wear CPF with ease, but this looks (on paper) more feminine. Cheers

  9. #9
    Sound Scents
    drseid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    Northern VA/DC Area
    Posts
    11,360

    Default Re: New Fragrance from The Different Company - Adjatay!

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    The leather in Cuir Pleine Fleur is understated also -- any similarities ? I wear CPF with ease, but this looks (on paper) more feminine. Cheers
    Apart from both being excellent floral leathers, there is not much in the way of similarity between the two to my nose. This one leans much more heavily on the florals than Cuir Pleine Fleur. So, I would expect most would say this is more "feminine" leaning, though I have no problem wearing it, and indeed I am writing this from the office while wearing it again...
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

    6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) Polo vintage (Ralph Lauren) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

  10. #10

    Default Re: New Fragrance from The Different Company - Adjatay!

    Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    Apart from both being excellent floral leathers, there is not much in the way of similarity between the two to my nose. This one leans much more heavily on the florals than Cuir Pleine Fleur. So, I would expect most would say this is more "feminine" leaning, though I have no problem wearing it, and indeed I am writing this from the office while wearing it again...
    No, I thought there wouldn't be much similarity - they don't 'feel' the same. I need to test it. Thanks

  11. #11

    Default Re: New Fragrance from The Different Company - Adjatay!

    A floral leather?! Thanks, hednic, and thanks to Jon Rodgers for pointing this out to me.

    My wallet might be a bit lighter on this.
    "...her fragrance all in my keeping; softly she comes in the night." Lyrics, Gordon Lightfoot, "Softly."

  12. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    2,554

    Default Re: New Fragrance from The Different Company - Adjatay!

    Thanks for the info, Hednic! Just getting into this company.. ordered Sel de Vetiver and I'm looking very forward to it. This sounds intriguing too.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 20
    Last Post: 1st February 2015, 04:41 PM
  2. Chinese Replica Fragrance Company
    By zezzy in forum Online Shopping
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 4th November 2012, 09:12 AM
  3. New Fragrance: The Different Company Oud for Love
    By Stew in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 3rd September 2012, 09:12 AM
  4. Lotus - that fragrance from the car company
    By SirSlarty in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12th February 2009, 11:42 PM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 8th October 2006, 06:25 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000