Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Any other variants of Habit Rouge worth buying?

I'm quite a fan of Guerlain Habit Rouge.

I only own Habit Rouge EdT, Habit Rouge EdP and Habit Rouge Dress Code. I love all three in their own different ways, but as lifelong fan of most things gourmand, I do have a special love for Dress Code.. I think my rating would be Dress Code > EdT > EdP.

Anyways, I'm aware there are quite a number of flankers and different variants past and present. Most readily available I see "Sport" and to a lesser extent "L'eau". I hear differing opinions on both. As yet I'm undecided whether to buy them or not. On another site I see is a list of possibly ten or more flankers and variations over the years.

As a fan of Habit Rouge are there any of these specifically worth buying or tracking down? Or do you think I already have the best ones already and it's not worth while? It's basically impossible to sample them as nowhere seems to sell samples except of the EdP. So that's out of the question, sadly. Basically just wondering do you think there are any standout releases that I'm missing out on..
    Last edited by MonsieurChanel; 20th March 2016 at 04:09 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Any other veriant of Habit Rouge worth buying?

Habit Rouge extrait. I have a sample and it's incredibly rich and refined. I am saving $ to get one.

I never got on with either the Edt or Edp versions but I absolutely love the L'Eau version. It strips down the complexity and streamlines it for the modern day. I've always loved jasmine and this fragrance has a wonderful jasmine accord that I enjoy without the scent been too feminine. Well worth checking out imo.
    "There's No School Like The Old School."

Reside in McLean, Va. Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Agree that the L'Eau is worth checking out.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Thanks guys. Funny enough, L'eau is the one I'd heard most highly praised. It seemed like the one I was most keen to try.. I'd likely have bought it now, but it seems pretty difficult to find anywhere in the UK, a few stores have it and it's usually stores I've never heard of and it seems highly expensive in comparison to the likes of FragranceX.. But if I bought it from there it would incur handling and import fees when it got here, making it just as expensive in the end anyways. Not about sure about further afield.. I shall maybe check around in France. I assume it is still in production?

Default Re: Any other variants of Habit Rouge worth buying?

"There's No School Like The Old School."

Quote Originally Posted by CapriDog View Post
    Habit Rouge extrait. I have a sample and it's incredibly rich and refined. I am saving $ to get one.
    Sounds great. Is it expensive?

People of Zee Wurl, Relax

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    Sounds great. Is it expensive?
    It is absurdly expensive! That's a subjective opinion of course, but wow is it expensive. I was lucky enough to sample it and it is certainly beautifully rich and well put together, but it's crazy expensive. For example, a 5ml bottle is fetching $40 on ebay. I believe it's like $500 or so for 100ml?...someone please correct me if I'm way off.

---EDIT---

I found an old thread that said the Paris store was selling 60ml bottles for 300EUR, but that was years ago.
    Last edited by IsoESuperman; 20th March 2016 at 06:58 PM.
    Currently wearing: Moods Uomo by Krizia

Would consider myself perfectly supplied and extremely lucky with either the EDT or the EDP (or even more so with both), although the Extrait might indeed extra complexity, nuanced, subtleties to this (personally speaking) already near-perfect fragrance.
    Currently wearing: Elite by Floris

I got L'eau.. Hasn't arrived as yet. Just out of curiosity.. what do you guys think of "Sport"? Worth a purchase?

Reside in McLean, Va. Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by MonsieurChanel View Post
    I got L'eau.. Hasn't arrived as yet. Just out of curiosity.. what do you guys think of "Sport"? Worth a purchase?
    Way to go! Hope you like it when it arrives. As for Sport, also own and like Sport but like L'Eau just a tad more.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Way to go! Hope you like it when it arrives. As for Sport, also own and like Sport but like L'Eau just a tad more.
    Thank you! I also ordered Sport after reading your post and some reviews.. I thought it was worth a chance. I know it might sound odd but the red bottle always stood out to me! I knew I'd buy it sooner or later.. So I'll have the two soon hopefully.

+1 on the parfum. I was not impressed with Dress Code at all, although the Q-Bert design was interesting.

I have the parfum bottle in one of the numbered editons with the Marly horses on the label.
    "The sunset is deeper and longer. The scent of the jasmine is stronger." Miracles. Pet Shop Boys

"Thick dome of jasmine
    (Under the dense canopy where the white jasmine),
    Blends with the rose,
    (That blends with the rose),"
    "The Flower Duet," Lakme by Leo Delibes, 1881

Quote Originally Posted by IsoESuperman View Post
    It is absurdly expensive! That's a subjective opinion of course, but wow is it expensive. I was lucky enough to sample it and it is certainly beautifully rich and well put together, but it's crazy expensive. For example, a 5ml bottle is fetching $40 on ebay. I believe it's like $500 or so for 100ml?...someone please correct me if I'm way off.

---EDIT---

I found an old thread that said the Paris store was selling 60ml bottles for 300EUR, but that was years ago.
    I could be wrong, but, I think the extrait version is most likely bespoke / made to order with Guerlain headquarters (u can try local boutiques, but they'll in turn head to the HQ)...Min volume might be at least 500ml, more likely 1 lit. And yes, super expensive as well.

As for OP's question, these are my preferences:

+ vtg EDc (u can forget this as u most likely will not find one in good formulation)
    + vtg edt - still found with reasonable ease online
    + edp

HR is best experienced with it's wonderful citrus start; the more dense it becomes, the lesser enjoyable it becomes (for me).

Mr.Reasonable is the expert imho on HR - he prob owns most, if not all versions...

Quote Originally Posted by badarun View Post
    I could be wrong, but, I think the extrait version is most likely bespoke / made to order with Guerlain headquarters (u can try local boutiques, but they'll in turn head to the HQ)...Min volume might be at least 500ml, more likely 1 lit. And yes, super expensive as well.

As for OP's question, these are my preferences:

+ vtg EDc (u can forget this as u most likely will not find one in good formulation)
    + vtg edt - still found with reasonable ease online
    + edp

HR is best experienced with it's wonderful citrus start; the more dense it becomes, the lesser enjoyable it becomes (for me).

Mr.Reasonable is the expert imho on HR - he prob owns most, if not all versions...
    The EDC is a vintage gem that needs to be tried, I've haven't purchased a bottle that's gone off yet. Those sparkling citrus notes are to die for!
    Currently wearing: Habit Rouge by Guerlain

+1 on vtg. EDT and the EDC.....(worlds apart)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    I never got on with either the Edt or Edp versions but I absolutely love the L'Eau version. It strips down the complexity and streamlines it for the modern day. I've always loved jasmine and this fragrance has a wonderful jasmine accord that I enjoy without the scent been too feminine. Well worth checking out imo.
    This.

I have the EDT and the EDC. I like the EDC more.
    Regards,
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by badarun View Post
    You can buy it over the counter here in 50ml bottles, but yes, it's $$$. Why not launch a smaller size, Guerlain? Are you listening?

To the OP I have Dress Code on the way. Is it worth getting HR EDP as well?
    Currently wearing: Joop! Homme by Joop!

Quote Originally Posted by SpanishFly View Post
    To the OP I have Dress Code on the way. Is it worth getting HR EDP as well?
    I think they're very different fragrances. They share their base "DNA" so to speak but beyond that I think they're very different. Dress Code being my clear favourite. It's more in a sweet gourmand direction.. lots of praline, vanilla, sweetness. Really beautiful, but very different to EdP. I think there's no guarantee people who like one will like the other. I think Dress Code is superb. Seeing you've bought Dress Code, I'd wait til you get it.. then maybe pick up a sample of the EdP.

I own the EDP, and love it. Do you think L'eau will be s safe blind buy?

Basenotes Plus

I think go for it. Boutique du Parfum currently has a good deal (like 30% off) so you can get a 50ml just in case it's not to your liking.

Absolutely "safe." It's also really good, very nice and fresh. It smells like Habit Rouge but it's more transparent, airy, and lacks some of the heavier oriental notes. In fact it's a great "beginner's Habit Rouge." If one likes the others but finds them difficult to wear, this is a good place to start to adjust to the basic Habit Rouge character.
    My wardrobe is up to date as of 10/09/17, and anything on my "Swap List" is for sale. You set the price and we'll negotiate from there. Inquire within!
    Currently wearing: Viking by Creed

I think go for it. Boutique du Parfum currently has a good deal (like 30% off) so you can get a 50ml just in case it's not to your liking.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    Absolutely "safe." It's also really good, very nice and fresh. It smells like Habit Rouge but it's more transparent, airy, and lacks some of the heavier oriental notes. In fact it's a great "beginner's Habit Rouge." If one likes the others but finds them difficult to wear, this is a good place to start to adjust to the basic Habit Rouge character.
    Ok, thanks

Basenotes Institution

This!
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle
    Currently wearing: Je Reviens by Worth

I'm wearing Habit Rouge Eau de Toilette Légère today, it's pretty damned wonderful. A bit lighter and brighter than the original. Perfect for our warm Southern California weather.

I own and love vintage Habit Rouge de Guerlain EDT & EDC but I vastly prefer the former. So rich and creamy
    "In order to be irreplaceable, one must always be different." - Mademoiselle Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel

I own vintage splash EdT, vintage spray EdT, EdP, Dress Code, and Sport. I'd say there's room in any serious fragrance aficionado's collection for several versions of Habit Rouge.

The sport version doesn't have much in common with the others, and at present it's fairly inexpensive online. Habit Rouge collectors might as well pick up a bottle while it's still available at decent prices. Otherwise, you'll end up reading about the "precious, rare" sport version someday, and you'll want to kick yourself for not adding it to your collection while it was still affordable. Seems like a bit too much of a niche-y failure to remain in production for long. At least not in its present formulation. The packaging is beautiful, though. Maybe a welcome addition to the collection on that basis alone
    Last edited by mrcologneguy; 25th March 2016 at 12:25 AM.

E de C is my favorite
    Striving still to Truth unknown