Code of Conduct
Page 249 of 249 FirstFirst ... 149 199 239 247 248 249
Results 7,441 to 7,460 of 7460
    Always be smelling

Default Re: Your vintage SOTD

Quote Originally Posted by Monsieur Montana View Post
    Good one and thanks for introducing this to me
    Beauty needs no morality or righteousness.
    It, like nature, does not give a shit

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

SOTE: Bandit Light Pour Homme by Robert Piguet

Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Dunhill Cologne

So, I just picked up two Dolce & Gabbana pour homme (made in Italy) mini (i.e. 4.5ml each) bottles. This is the first time in maybe 10 years that I've smelled the REAL thing - I bought (and then re-sold) maybe 5 full bottles of the "made in italy" bottles, and NONE were the real thing - I even bought one mini bottle that said "made in Italy", and it just smelled like the others. I'm not saying they were fakes, but I think that there are different formulations of even the made in Italy versions (maybe newer)...They have this almost sour smell to them, and generally aren't as rich as how this used to smell.

It's frustrating because when I've talked here about the "made in Italy" versions that I got before, and how they weren't as good as I remembered this, people say that it's all in my mind, etc. But, now that I have it, it just further proves that I was right. The real version is deep and spicy - unmistakable. This one is a masterpiece.

Even though these are just two mini's, you don't know how happy this makes me.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

IMG_20180716_143704_919.jpg

Decided to break out the ol' Pennyhall's Blennyheimer Booket today because it's hot.
    Lemon, lime, pepper, and pine.

These are a few of my favorite thiiiiinnggs *spins*
    oh look, I have a signature
    Currently wearing: Habit Rouge by Guerlain

I smell something

Quote Originally Posted by leor_77 View Post
    So, I just picked up two Dolce & Gabbana pour homme (made in Italy) mini (i.e. 4.5ml each) bottles. This is the first time in maybe 10 years that I've smelled the REAL thing - I bought (and then re-sold) maybe 5 full bottles of the "made in italy" bottles, and NONE were the real thing - I even bought one mini bottle that said "made in Italy", and it just smelled like the others. I'm not saying they were fakes, but I think that there are different formulations of even the made in Italy versions (maybe newer)...They have this almost sour smell to them, and generally aren't as rich as how this used to smell.

It's frustrating because when I've talked here about the "made in Italy" versions that I got before, and how they weren't as good as I remembered this, people say that it's all in my mind, etc. But, now that I have it, it just further proves that I was right. The real version is deep and spicy - unmistakable. This one is a masterpiece.

Yes we do. Congrats and enjoy.

I’ve been wearing and loving Emeraude parfum de toilette today.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain
    Currently wearing: No. 5 by Chanel

Blog Entries

466212-victory.jpg
    I have loved the stars too truly to be fearful of the night.
    Currently wearing: No. 22 Parfum by Chanel

Wearing a deep vintage A/S version of Basile Uomo thanks to the generosity of Marand75. He sent me a very healthy sample but I don't have the bottle for a photo. Many grateful thanks for this one Sir. It just keeps morphing. It is just now starting to show a powderyness as it moves along. Wearing it for the very first time. It is somewhat similar to Tuscany pour home in that it is herbal but has a lot more going on than Tuscany( If that is even possible). Kind of like dried herbs you have crushed and rubbed out in your hands. I love it. I smoke cigarettes so normally I can't always discern all the nuances in a fragrance. Particularly an Aftershave but this one is just blooming and blooming. Definitely full bottle worthy in my opinion. I actually like it much better than Tuscany.

Rick
    " I wanna have my kicks before the whole s--t house goes up in flames"

Quote from Jim Morrison
    The Doors

Please check out my sales thread. I'm downsizing my wardrobe http://www.basenotes.net/threads/446...or-Sale-Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Avecesar View Post
    Attachment 85368

SOTD : Kouros Fraicheur (2nd starting from right)
    Avecesar. That looks like a family photo lol.

Rick

Quote from Jim Morrison
    The Doors

Please check out my sales thread. I'm downsizing my wardrobe http://www.basenotes.net/threads/446...or-Sale-Thread

Congrats on being able to finally get the real deal. Is there any way to tell the real deal from the not so real deal? I heard the real one has to have the applied sticker on the bottle.

Rick

Quote from Jim Morrison
    The Doors

Freed from BN Institution

Applied some Antaeus Sport in between my SOTD and SOTE.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/446...d-Fridays-2018

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    Applied some Antaeus Sport in between my SOTD and SOTE.
    How is the Anteaus Sport? The only sport fragrances I have tried are Etienne Aigner Sport which I like quite a bit and Sport de Paco Rabanne which is just ok in my book.

Rick

Quote from Jim Morrison
    The Doors

It seems that a lot of us were thinking of this one today

P1090372.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by epapsiou View Post
    Good one and thanks for introducing this to me
    Glad you enjoy it

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    IMG_20180716_143704_919.jpg

Decided to break out the ol' Pennyhall's Blennyheimer Booket today because it's hot.
    Lemon, lime, pepper, and pine.

These are a few of my favorite thiiiiinnggs *spins*
    I have sampled a few of Penhaligon's fragrances. I am not much on their fragrances at all but I do love their bottles. Soooo retro. I think I might like their fern fragrance but have not yet sampled it.

Rick

Quote from Jim Morrison
    The Doors

Quote Originally Posted by Monsieur Montana View Post
    It seems that a lot of us were thinking of this one today

P1090372.jpg
    Monsieur. Is the shiny Dolce Gabbana "sticker" on the bottle the way one identifies the authentic original article?

Rick

Quote from Jim Morrison
    The Doors

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DOCPSYCHO View Post
    I have sampled a few of Penhaligon's fragrances. I am not much on their fragrances at all but I do love their bottles. Soooo retro. I think I might like their fern fragrance but have not yet sampled it.

Rick
    If you go back to the old stuff actually composed by perfumer William Penhaligon (the late 1800's through early 1900's), you'll find a lot of ultra-dry citrus pepper stuff like Blenheim Bouquet, Douros Eau de Portugal, very austere British colognes basically, plus you'll get some very foppish dandy juices like Hammam Bouquet or English Fern, full of rose, civet, sandalwood, fougere or chypre accords, all the stuff that would come back in the late 1980's

Fast-forward to the newer stuff like Castille, Endymion, Sartorial, and the like, made by whatever perfumes the company hires now, and it's a mixed bag of usual niche themes and the occasional throwback scent. Sartorial in particular is very barbershop, but the more sweet vanillic French/American style barbershop a la Clubman or Canoe, rather than the stiff upper lip stuff like Blenheim Bouquet. They do tons of granny florals too for the ladies, if that sort of thing appeals.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Currently wearing: Habit Rouge by Guerlain

Wearing a deep vintage A/S version of Basile Uomo thanks to the generosity of Marand75. He sent me a very healthy sample but I don't have the bottle for a photo. Many grateful thanks for this one Sir. It just keeps morphing. It is just now starting to show a powderyness as it moves along. Wearing it for the very first time. It is somewhat similar to Tuscany pour home in that it is herbal but has a lot more going on than Tuscany( If that is even possible). Kind of like dried herbs you have crushed and rubbed out in your hands. I love it. I smoke cigarettes so normally I can't always discern all the nuances in a fragrance. Particularly an Aftershave but this one is just blooming and blooming. Definitely full bottle worthy in my opinion. I actually like it much better than Tuscany.

Rick
    Glad you like it, Sir! I fell in love with it from the very first sniff. That fresh dry minty basil is a little stroke of genious, I think. The whole composition just embraces you from start to finish. Very good stuff.
    The current formula is very faithfull to the original, with maybe just a tad more orange. Very nice too.

/martin
    Nobody puts POLO in the corner!

Monsieur. Is the shiny Dolce Gabbana "sticker" on the bottle the way one identifies the authentic original article?

Rick
    Yes Rick, that would be it.

Thank you so much MM. I smelled this years ago when it first came out but just never bought a bottle. I really liked it and would like to own one someday soon.

Rick

Quote from Jim Morrison
    The Doors

Page 249 of 249 FirstFirst ... 149 199 239 247 248 249