Code of Conduct
Page 379 of 379 FirstFirst ... 279 329 369 377 378 379
Results 11,341 to 11,360 of 11360

Default Your vintage SOTD

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    Nice!

Can you a little more into the differences between the current? I have and enjoy the current one (like you said, once it calms down), and I have a Cochran era aftershave on the way, which I have high hopes for. Are the differences mostly on top?
    I'm glad you enjoy the current. So do I. Tmn, current opens up sharp with a more pronounced violet-flower, while the violet-leafs are toned down. That to me is the biggest difference. The base, sans oakmoss, is more woodsy-musky and EA somehow has managed to compensate. I love oakmoss, but honestly I don't seem to miss it that much. Still feels damp and mossy, albeit drier, imo.
    Epocha and Cochran goes full throttle on the violet+violet leafs and oakmoss (so I've heard).
    Sanofi turned the opening down a notch and brought some balance to it.
    Other than that, all formulas are the same. The different companies just made their own 'tweakings'.
    Current GF is a fresh bottle of Barolo. Vtg GF is the same Barolo aged for 20+ years, now even better and smoother. They travel the excact same road, with excact same contents and they both end up in the same place (if that comparison makes any sense)
    Nobody puts POLO in the corner!
    Currently wearing: Denim Musk by Denim

Quote Originally Posted by My two scents View Post
    Mine was delivered today while I am still at work! I shall make it SOTE...I hope it is still intact!
    Awesome! The opening is a great big beautiful blast of green. And a stunning drydown, imo. I've worn mine for three days now.. Congrats, my friend

Default Re: Your vintage SOTD

Quote Originally Posted by Marand75 View Post
    I'm glad you enjoy the current. So do I. Tmn, current opens up sharp with a more pronounced violet-flower, while the violet-leafs are toned down. That to me is the biggest difference. The base, sans oakmoss, is more woodsy-musky and EA somehow has managed to compensate. I love oakmoss, but honestly I don't seem to miss it that much. Still feels damp and mossy, albeit drier, imo.
    Epocha and Cochran goes full throttle on the violet+violet leafs and oakmoss (so I've heard).
    Sanofi turned the opening down a notch and brought some balance to it.
    Other than that, all formulas are the same. The different companies just made their own 'tweakings'.
    Current GF is a fresh bottle of Barolo. Vtg GF is the same Barolo aged for 20+ years, now even better and smoother. They travel the excact same road, with excact same contents and they both end up in the same place (if that comparison makes any sense)
    Thanks; great info! I’m excited to do a side by side; I love version comparisons, especially when modern is different but still good. I don’t often buy aftershaves either, but I figure GF is powerful enough that a light concentration might be quite nice.

~~

SOTD is Pasha de Cartier, AS and EDT.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Thanks; great info! I’m excited to do a side by side; I love version comparisons, especially when modern is different but still good. I don’t often buy aftershaves either, but I figure GF is powerful enough that a light concentration might be quite nice.
    You're welcome! Imo Vintage frags, for the most part and if stored correctly, smell "better", richer more rounded because they've had years to mature and 'macerate', and I firmly believe that current GF in 20 years time will smell just as awesome as vtg GF of today.
    I think you have a good point about the aftershave. I'm thinking of getting the current a/s and the deo-stick, just to complete the grooming experience

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

SOTE: O Pour Homme by Lancome

Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Plus

Awesome! The opening is a great big beautiful blast of green. And a stunning drydown, imo. I've worn mine for three days now.. Congrats, my friend
    Yes very nice! I think the base, to me, smells kinda like Creed Royal Mayfair...not saying it is exactly like CRM but as I continuously smell myself I keep thinking...this smells oddly familiar...then like a V8 moment...Ahh thats what I am thinking...Royal Mayfair.!
    OFFICIAL MEMBER OF CREED'S "FAN BOY" CLUB
    Currently wearing: Tsar by Van Cleef & Arpels

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Kiehl's pour Homme Essence Oil
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

You're welcome! Imo Vintage frags, for the most part and if stored correctly, smell "better", richer more rounded because they've had years to mature and 'macerate', and I firmly believe that current GF in 20 years time will smell just as awesome as vtg GF of today.
    I think you have a good point about the aftershave. I'm thinking of getting the current a/s and the deo-stick, just to complete the grooming experience
    I wore the aftershave today, after a shave, and I can still smell it. This stuff is basically cologne itself.
    oh look, I have a signature

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    I wore the aftershave today, after a shave, and I can still smell it. This stuff is basically cologne itself.
    Glad to hear that, ZC. I'm really looking forward to trying it myself.

Quote Originally Posted by My two scents View Post
    Yes very nice! I think the base, to me, smells kinda like Creed Royal Mayfair...not saying it is exactly like CRM but as I continuously smell myself I keep thinking...this smells oddly familiar...then like a V8 moment...Ahh thats what I am thinking...Royal Mayfair.!
    Interresting. I have practically zero Creed-experience, except for a sample of Creed Vintage Tabarome (or was it vintage Creed Tabarome?) that Doc sent me. And here's the kicker: it smells almost EXCACTLY like Pinaud Clubman Special Reserve, and vice versa! I shit you not, sir. The similarity is eery.. Especially when the Pinaud has been decanted into glass and allowed to sit for a while

If they make a an actual eau de cologne in plastic here, I haven't seen it, just the "splash on lotion". My old "spray cologne" glass bottle is just an EdT in strength anyway, but everything made by big companies for men was called "cologne" in the US up through the 80's anyway.
    It's this one:

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

It's this one:
    Yeah I've never seen that. Just splash-on-lotion
    oh look, I have a signature

Yeah I've never seen that. Just splash-on-lotion
    Gotta get me som'-o'-dat
    And the EdT by Parfums Préstige/Unilever. They do an outstanding and faithful job on this.

SOTD is Denim Musk aftershave.
    This one is really really nice. Green and aromatic with a warm glow. Allthough subtle in strength, it performs very well.
    Edit: It starts out subtle and then actually grows stronger the further it goes. Very nice this is!

Dependent

Currently wearing: Insensé by Givenchy

Again today.....I need to get a better photo lol.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Let's Dance

SOTD

Paco Rabanne pour Homme vtg.

Random question - did you actually use it as an aftershave, i.e. applied to your face?

I almost never use scented aftershave, but I did it yesterday on a whim with Pasha since I have matching vintage AS and EDT minis. The AS overwhelmed my nose for hours and gave me a headache. It was awful and I actually had to wash it off. I like the idea of getting "the full grooming experience" but for Pasha anyway, getting the full experience ended up ruining the experience.

You (or anyone) ever have that issue, esp. with something as powerful as GF?

I suppose I'm just more of a body-waft sniffer; I want nothing scented near my face. At least I know now.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Always be smelling

Random question - did you actually use it as an aftershave, i.e. applied to your face?

I almost never use scented aftershave, but I did it yesterday on a whim with Pasha since I have matching vintage AS and EDT minis. The AS overwhelmed my nose for hours and gave me a headache. It was awful and I actually had to wash it off. I like the idea of getting "the full grooming experience" but for Pasha anyway, getting the full experience ended up ruining the experience.

I suppose I'm just more of a body-waft sniffer; I want nothing scented near my face. At least I know now.
    I hear you man. I have a few A/S and whenever I wear them I do not enjoy the experience. And they are the ones I love. Like Insense, PPH Prive, CdGM2.
    Something about the scent being too close to the nose.

The good thing is that vintage A/S are potent and so I wear them as EDC
    Beauty needs no morality or righteousness.
    It, like nature, does not give a shit
    Currently wearing: Kipling by Weil

I honestly think the "liquid" A/S in the sets are not as fun to wear as the A/S balms are. One of the best A/S balms I've ever used is Gucci Nobile. The other is GBH.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I own several powerhouse aftershaves. Usually on those days I don't need to use anything else. I just splash it all over, face, neck, back of neck, and chest. If I have a cologne that matches, then I'll wear that too. I have some interesting combinations that work great for me, as the aftershave fades, the EDT/Cologne is still there.

I understand your point of not wanting it near your face, but with most aftershaves, they have a more rounded edge to them. For example, Halston Z-14, wouldn't have thought I'd want that on my face, but the aftershave splash is mellow and just right, and compliments the cologne nicely. Old drugstore classics like Aqua Velva Ice Blue and Skin Bracer actually mesh well with many colognes. But, I'm an aftershave guy, I love having it that up in my face, and I find myself smelling my hands all day, especially with the Vintage Avons and Pinaud Clubman, Special Reserve, Vanilla and Lilac Veg..

(also, I've not owned many "designer" brand aftershaves.. I mentioned the Halston. I have Pierre Cardin Balm, which is wonderful.. but I could understand how many of those aftershave versions would be too intense to wear unless they thinned out the scent)
    Currently wearing: Preferred Stock by Coty

Page 379 of 379 FirstFirst ... 279 329 369 377 378 379