Code of Conduct
Page 438 of 470 FirstFirst ... 338 388 428 436 437 438 439 440 448 ... LastLast
Results 13,111 to 13,140 of 14100
  1. #13111
    Basenotes Plus
    Diddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Bayou Country
    Posts
    5,524

    Default Re: Your vintage SOTD

    SOTM is Eau de Patou (blue cap), thanks to a very kindhearted and generous Basenoter. I should be ashamed of myself for not owning this or the wonderful Eau de Hermes. May the vintage powers at be forgive me.
    Sent from the bayou, using homing gators.

  2. #13112
    Basenotes Plus

    Cook.bot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Tracks, Wrong Side of
    Posts
    5,118

    Default Re: Your vintage SOTD

    Quote Originally Posted by Diddy View Post
    SOTM is Eau de Patou (blue cap), thanks to a very kindhearted and generous Basenoter. I should be ashamed of myself for not owning this or the wonderful Eau de Hermes. May the vintage powers at be forgive me.
    Old dog, learning even older tricks! It's never too late -- especially for vintage Eau d'Hermes.

    Would I be forgiven for quoting Rod Stewart? "And you wear it well... a little old-fashioned, but I don't mind."

  3. #13113

    Default Re: Your vintage SOTD

    I'm in Patou Ma Liberte today. So, so good...something I think I could be happy with as a signature, if I wanted a signature. It has joined my desert island list. Patou in general: holy cow. I'm smelled I think 5 from the house, and they're all stunners. Time for a deeper dive...don't know what took me so long.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

  4. #13114
    Basenotes Plus
    Diddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Bayou Country
    Posts
    5,524

    Default Re: Your vintage SOTD

    Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    Old dog, learning even older tricks! It's never too late -- especially for vintage Eau d'Hermes.

    Would I be forgiven for quoting Rod Stewart? "And you wear it well... a little old-fashioned, but I don't mind."
    I ended up wearing some Eau de Hermes last night. It because very (surprisingly) animalic on my skin last night. I felt savage. I was a little disappointed to only get about 5 hours longevity out of as I loved it. What kind of longevity do you get?
    Sent from the bayou, using homing gators.

  5. #13115
    Basenotes Institution badarun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    13,319

    Default Re: Your vintage SOTD

    Eau de Patou shower gel and Eau de Rochas Pour Homme as my SOTD.
    Currently wearing: Cedrat Boise by Mancera

  6. #13116
    Basenotes Plus

    JON RODGERS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Hertfordshire
    Posts
    26,133

    Default Re: Your vintage SOTD


  7. #13117
    Dependent Bavard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Middlesex
    Posts
    6,407

    Default Re: Your vintage SOTD

    My vintage scent of the day in Chicago is Christian Dior Fahrenheit, a 1992 bottling.

    9C36C312-26FB-4B38-9E51-51B6F0F1D828.jpg

  8. #13118
    Dependent Bavard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Middlesex
    Posts
    6,407

    Default Re: Your vintage SOTD

    Double
    Last edited by Bavard; 24th May 2019 at 08:36 PM.

  9. #13119
    Basenotes Plus

    Cook.bot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Tracks, Wrong Side of
    Posts
    5,118

    Default Re: Your vintage SOTD

    Quote Originally Posted by Diddy View Post
    I ended up wearing some Eau de Hermes last night. It because very (surprisingly) animalic on my skin last night. I felt savage. I was a little disappointed to only get about 5 hours longevity out of as I loved it. What kind of longevity do you get?

    About that, 6 hours max usually. It is an eau, after all.

  10. #13120
    Basenotes Plus

    Cook.bot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Tracks, Wrong Side of
    Posts
    5,118

    Default Re: Your vintage SOTD

    Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    Patou in general: holy cow. I'm smelled I think 5 from the house, and they're all stunners. Time for a deeper dive...don't know what took me so long.
    I know, right? Even though vintage Patou 1000 was one of my first major discoveries after joining Basenotes, I never paid much attention to the rest of the line until Epapsiou awakened me to the other joys therein.

    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/442069-House-of-Patou

  11. #13121

    Default Re: Your vintage SOTD




    Tapatalk kullanarak iPhone aracılığıyla gönderildi

  12. #13122

    Default Re: Your vintage SOTD

    Quote Originally Posted by cuneytakcetin View Post
    That brings back memories! One of the first I owned, and it broke in my luggage. Nice very spicy (cardamom) and dry freshie, not really very aquatic to my nose. More woody/vetivery and sort of saltily balsamic, very pleasant. Nice eucalyptus. Reminds me of a crispier HdP 1828.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

  13. #13123

    Default Re: Your vintage SOTD

    Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    That brings back memories! One of the first I owned, and it broke in my luggage. Nice very spicy (cardamom) and dry freshie, not really very aquatic to my nose. More woody/vetivery and sort of saltily balsamic, very pleasant. Nice eucalyptus. Reminds me of a crispier HdP 1828.
    I totally agree. I have HdP 1828. I think they have similarities. nevertheless I think Aquaman is also better than the spices and vetiver.


    Tapatalk kullanarak iPhone aracılığıyla gönderildi

  14. #13124
    Always be smelling

    epapsiou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Oud Forest
    Posts
    6,141

    Default Re: Your vintage SOTD

    Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    I know, right? Even though vintage Patou 1000 was one of my first major discoveries after joining Basenotes, I never paid much attention to the rest of the line until Epapsiou awakened me to the other joys therein.

    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/442069-House-of-Patou
    Thanks for the link.
    I went and fixed some typos and changed
    "...intend to write my thoughts on them over the next few days" to
    "....over the next few years
    Beauty needs no morality or righteousness.
    It, like nature, does not give a shit
    Currently wearing: Coriolan by Guerlain

  15. #13125
    Basenotes Plus

    Cook.bot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Tracks, Wrong Side of
    Posts
    5,118

    Default Re: Your vintage SOTD

    Quote Originally Posted by epapsiou View Post
    I went and fixed some typos and changed
    "...intend to write my thoughts on them over the next few days" to
    "....over the next few years
    Haha! It's a journey.

  16. #13126
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil
    Posts
    282,916

    Default Re: Your vintage SOTD

    SOTE:Gengis Khan by Marc De La Morandiere
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

  17. #13127
    The Devil in the Details
    Zealot Crusader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Seattle/Bellevue
    Posts
    6,430
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Your vintage SOTD

    Quote Originally Posted by epapsiou View Post
    Thanks for the link.
    I went and fixed some typos and changed
    "...intend to write my thoughts on them over the next few days" to
    "....over the next few years
    We had to wait 2 years for the final season of GoT so it'll be worth it. No pressure.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Currently wearing: Far Away for Men by Avon

  18. #13128
    Basenotes Plus
    Diddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Bayou Country
    Posts
    5,524

    Default Re: Your vintage SOTD

    Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    About that, 6 hours max usually. It is an eau, after all.
    But but but I wanted 8 hours.
    Sent from the bayou, using homing gators.

  19. #13129
    Basenotes Plus

    Cook.bot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Tracks, Wrong Side of
    Posts
    5,118

    Default Re: Your vintage SOTD

    Quote Originally Posted by Diddy View Post
    But but but I wanted 8 hours.
    Honey, if you can't accomplish in 5 to 6 hours what Eau d'Hermes was obviously put on Earth to help you accomplish, then you should probably just abandon the project altogether.

  20. #13130
    Basenotes Plus
    Diddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Bayou Country
    Posts
    5,524

    Default Re: Your vintage SOTD

    Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    Honey, if you can't accomplish in 5 to 6 hours what Eau d'Hermes was obviously put on Earth to help you accomplish, then you should probably just abandon the project altogether.
    I can’t argue with that logic. My ADHD won’t allow me to focus enough to do so. Oh look, something shiny.
    Sent from the bayou, using homing gators.

  21. #13131
    Basenotes Plus
    Diddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Bayou Country
    Posts
    5,524

    Default Re: Your vintage SOTD

    2315 hours and Chanel’s Cuir de Russie has been applied.
    Sent from the bayou, using homing gators.

  22. #13132
    Basenotes Junkie
    RoRo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    932
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Your vintage SOTD

    Quote Originally Posted by Diddy View Post
    2315 hours and Chanel’s Cuir de Russie has been applied.
    NIce. Is that one you have a bottle of?
    I'm always reminded of chewing tobacco (in a good way) by the opening.

  23. #13133
    Basenotes Junkie
    RoRo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    932
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Your vintage SOTD

    Ô de Lancôme

    I love this bottle design.



  24. #13134
    The Devil in the Details
    Zealot Crusader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Seattle/Bellevue
    Posts
    6,430
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Your vintage SOTD

    IMG_20190128_141809_401.jpg

    Eau Sauvage by Christian Dior (1966)
    oh look, I have a signature
    Currently wearing: Far Away for Men by Avon

  25. #13135
    Basenotes Plus
    Diddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Bayou Country
    Posts
    5,524

    Default Your vintage SOTD

    This morning wearing from a generous sample, Azuree EDP by Estée Lauder.

    This is an exceptional chpyre. The correlation to Aramis is undeniable upfront but then the aldehydes settle way down rather quickly and this becomes very well balanced. This fragrance is unisex, leaning ever so slightly feminine. Which is a very nice surprise. I’ve revisited Mitsouko in the last couple days and wore the great Cuir de Russie for the first time late last night. I’m sorry but it’s a misrepresentation for those two to be called unisex. Mitsouko and Cuir de Russie are clearly women’s fragrances from days gone by. A man could absolutely wear them. Anybody can wear anything. But I was disappointed to remember and discover that, no, these 2 smell today exactly how I remember them smelling on grandma and great aunt. That makes me love them a lot but also concretes who they belong to in my mind. On the other hand Azuree smells like Aramis got lucky and hugged a beautiful woman, which makes this more a vintage woman’s fragrance that’s modern day unisex. Azuree would smell amazing on a woman, sexy even. But this smells great on a man as well. A man may need to be careful with this as when he returns home his SO may think he’s been hugging an amazing smelling woman.

    Thank you very much to the BN’r who provided me this sample. I’m imagining giving you a friendly hug hello now and that I may be smelling this!


    Update: now that the heart notes have faded way into the background, Azuree has become a suave green Aramis. Very very nice. I’d recommend this fragrance to anyone wanting something like Aramis but more subtle. This is a gem.
    Last edited by Diddy; 25th May 2019 at 02:26 PM.
    Sent from the bayou, using homing gators.

  26. #13136
    Basenotes Plus
    Diddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Bayou Country
    Posts
    5,524

    Default Re: Your vintage SOTD

    Quote Originally Posted by RoRo View Post
    NIce. Is that one you have a bottle of?
    I'm always reminded of chewing tobacco (in a good way) by the opening.
    No this is a decant of edt from around 2000 that was gifted me. I’m so very happy to have some as a reference but it also leans too feminine for my tastes for wearing. For Russian leathers, I prefer more birch and less floral. Stuff closer to the original concept but perhaps smoothed out, like Imperial Del Oro etc.
    Sent from the bayou, using homing gators.

  27. #13137
    Basenotes Plus

    Cook.bot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Tracks, Wrong Side of
    Posts
    5,118

    Default Re: Your vintage SOTD

    Quote Originally Posted by RoRo View Post
    Ô de Lancôme
    Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post

    Eau Sauvage by Christian Dior (1966)
    Quote Originally Posted by Diddy View Post
    This morning wearing from a generous sample, Azuree EDP by Estée Lauder.

    Oh wow. I woke up thinking I'd go scentless and do some sampling, but now I want to copy all three of you. I love all of these.

    I am a sheep.

    Azuree lasts for eons on me (like most Lauders), but the
    Lancôme and the Dior are pretty short-lived. I think I'll put one on each arm just for giggles and see how they play together. My sampling can wait for the afternoon.

    Update: I just tried this, and the two smell pretty great against each other, except that the Lancome is
    Ô-verpowering the Eau Sauvage.

    (Sorry/NotSorry)




  28. #13138

    Default Re: Your vintage SOTD




    Tapatalk kullanarak iPhone aracılığıyla gönderildi

  29. #13139

    Default Re: Your vintage SOTD

    Quote Originally Posted by Diddy View Post
    This morning wearing from a generous sample, Azuree EDP by Estée Lauder.

    This is an exceptional chpyre. The correlation to Aramis is undeniable upfront but then the aldehydes settle way down rather quickly and this becomes very well balanced. This fragrance is unisex, leaning ever so slightly feminine.

    Update: now that the heart notes have faded way into the background, Azuree has become a suave green Aramis. Very very nice. I’d recommend this fragrance to anyone wanting something like Aramis but more subtle. This is a gem.
    Loved your whole review and especially agree with these parts. I can’t pull off Aramis, but Azuree fits like a supple leather glove. I’m also nursing a sample, maybe from the same lovely Basenoter, and must upgrade soon!

    I shall join the sync and wear it today!
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

  30. #13140
    Basenotes Plus

    Cook.bot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Tracks, Wrong Side of
    Posts
    5,118

    Default Re: Your vintage SOTD

    Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    Loved your whole review and especially agree with these parts. I can’t pull off Aramis, but Azuree fits like a supple leather glove. I’m also nursing a sample, maybe from the same lovely Basenoter, and must upgrade soon!

    I shall join the sync and wear it today!
    I'll out myself here to say how happy it makes me that you both enjoy Azuree. It really is one of Bernard Chant's best iterations of his classic leather formula. JTD wrote a nice little essay about the family tree of Chant's leathers:
    http://www.basenotes.net/entries/123...rd-Family-Tree

    It can still be found for fairly reasonable prices, too, but IMO the only bottle to go for is the lugnut. I don't know the exact years when changes happened, but notice the difference in these two:

    Lugnut metal collar, the preferred bottle:

    Azuree_LugnutCollar.jpg


    Smooth metal collar (second choice only):
    Azuree_SmoothCollar.jpg

    There's also a more modern bottle, the one pictured on the Basenotes directory page, but that one doesn't even bear discussing. Lauder is usually so good about maintaining the integrity of their heritage scents, but this one got tamed too much in its contemporary edition.




Page 438 of 470 FirstFirst ... 338 388 428 436 437 438 439 440 448 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 16th January 2016, 06:58 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000