Code of Conduct
Page 439 of 470 FirstFirst ... 339 389 429 437 438 439 440 441 449 ... LastLast
Results 13,141 to 13,170 of 14085
    Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Your vintage SOTD

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    Loved your whole review and especially agree with these parts. I can’t pull off Aramis, but Azuree fits like a supple leather glove. I’m also nursing a sample, maybe from the same lovely Basenoter, and must upgrade soon!

I shall join the sync and wear it today!
    Yep. You were correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    I'll out myself here to say how happy it makes me that you both enjoy Azuree. It really is one of Bernard Chant's best iteration....
    I’m glad you said it. I do love giving credit where credit is due, but I also don’t kiss and tell.

I can see exactly what you’re saying about Azuree having exceptional lasting power. Once the middle notes subsided, it has stayed where it is at and not fell off a single bit. I could easily see this fragrance lasting well over 12 hours. Pretty impressive actually, as it’s not a loud boisterous fragrance or nuclear bomb. You’ve opened my eyes with this one. Sure, it was created for women and has the pretty aspects in it that we’d associate with feminine fragrances of the era. However, like Chanel No.19 transitions to a unisex fragrance from a pretty feminine, this does so even more. I think most people would swear Aramis was used as a base when they created this. As if they said, “Hey, Aramis is selling well in the men’s category. Let’s see if we can do a women’s version that’s just as successful.” But in the end you’re left with a green Aramis trick that they’ve pulled off with rose, vetiver, patchouli, moss and leather. Bravo Estée Lauder, for giving us boys something to enjoy 50 years after the concept.
    Sent from the bayou, using homing gators.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

SOTE:Gengis Khan by Marc De La Morandiere
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

wearing dad's aftershave™

Armani Eau pour Homme this afternoon

/Acey
    Attached Images Attached Images

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Oh wow. I woke up thinking I'd go scentless and do some sampling, but now I want to copy all three of you. I love all of these.

I am a sheep.

Azuree lasts for eons on me (like most Lauders), but the
    Lancôme and the Dior are pretty short-lived. I think I'll put one on each arm just for giggles and see how they play together. My sampling can wait for the afternoon.

Update: I just tried this, and the two smell pretty great against each other, except that the Lancome is
    Ô-verpowering the Eau Sauvage.

(Sorry/NotSorry)

I like wearing my Eau Sauvage to bed because it lasts just long enough for me to enjoy the evening in it before sleep removes my ability to notice it's faded anyway.
    oh look, I have a signature

ANTAEUS POUR HOMME

I just picked these up from the mail box today . Yeah the box is faded but the juice is fresh and potent LOL!

Wow! Fantastic! I thought I liked the current better....uh ohhhh!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Turkish Brand From 90’s

Tapatalk kullanarak iPhone aracılığıyla gönderildi

Took the day to clean up my home, AC filters and finally the washroom where I used this scrubbin bubbles or whatever it's called. Initially, I used the grime cleaner (didn't look initially), it didn't spray out to my liking, so I got a different bottle, this was the bathroom cleaner. Somehow, after the I sprayed this'll over the area with the first sprays of the previous cleaner, it reminded me of Aventus (please - don't ask me the batch #).

Anyways, was sort of annoyed, but after my shower, I brought out Macassar and oversprayed to remove any chemical thoughts off my nose and mind
    Currently wearing: Cedrat Boise by Mancera

Always be smelling

Quote Originally Posted by allkindsofwatches1 View Post
    ANTAEUS POUR HOMME

I thought I liked the current better....uh ohhhh!

Must have been under the influence when that thought crossed your mind
    Beauty needs no morality or righteousness.
    It, like nature, does not give a shit
    Currently wearing: Coriolan by Guerlain

Basenotes Plus

MITSOUKO EXTRACT 80'S

If Vol de Nuit didn't exist this might be one of my Top Five.
    Scarcity is an illusion. Unlearn it.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

IMG_20180725_153220_636.jpg

Samba for Men by The Perfumer's Workshop (1990)
    oh look, I have a signature

Quote Originally Posted by epapsiou View Post
    HA! My first sample of vintage came from you. I thought I hated it. I was sadly mistaken.

Quote Originally Posted by epapsiou View Post
    But...I still enjoy the current.

So I'm into the drydown phase of Macassar and it's beautiful, reminded me of good old Mysore Sandalwood and I remembered vaguely about ebony wood in Macassar. So I looked up the directory and found Bavard's review of Macassar mentioning "reminds me of Egoiste". For me, it does remind me especially of the sandalwood of Egoiste...Great drydown compared to the start...
    Currently wearing: Cedrat Boise by Mancera

Freed from BN Institution

Chanel Egoiste Cologne Concentree
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Basenotes Plus

Worn out and about to call it a night. Long day. Today’s wearings were/are, and in this order: Pasha de Cartier, Aramis Havana, and now, just before bed, Chanel No.19.

Quote Originally Posted by purecaramel View Post
    MITSOUKO EXTRACT 80'S

If Vol de Nuit didn't exist this might be one of my Top Five.
    What extracts have you tried for Vol de Nuit? I originally liked Mitsouko a lot more but when I tried a vintage extract of Vol de Nuit, it was so much better.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Quote Originally Posted by allkindsofwatches1 View Post
    ANTAEUS POUR HOMME

I just picked these up from the mail box today . Yeah the box is faded but the juice is fresh and potent LOL!

Wow! Fantastic! I thought I liked the current better....uh ohhhh!

I still need to get my hands on small decants of the earlier formulations. When were these bottles from?

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    I still need to get my hands on small decants of the earlier formulations. When were these bottles from?
    Honestly I'm not sure. They are pre barcode. I guess I should find out.

Basenotes Junkie
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Diddy View Post
    No this is a decant of edt from around 2000 that was gifted me. I’m so very happy to have some as a reference but it also leans too feminine for my tastes for wearing. For Russian leathers, I prefer more birch and less floral. Stuff closer to the original concept but perhaps smoothed out, like Imperial Del Oro etc.
    I hear you about Cuir de Russie. It's so big and fluffy, but I love it anyway.
    I'm not really up on my leathers. It's a category that I don't seem to "get". I remember reading that birch tar is typically involved in the creation of a Russian leather scent, but I don't know why that would be. Maybe I need to smell some actual Russian leather?

ANTAEUS!

Basenotes Junkie
    Blog Entries

Oh wow. I woke up thinking I'd go scentless and do some sampling, but now I want to copy all three of you. I love all of these.

Azuree lasts for eons on me (like most Lauders), but the
    Lancôme and the Dior are pretty short-lived. I think I'll put one on each arm just for giggles and see how they play together. My sampling can wait for the afternoon.

Update: I just tried this, and the two smell pretty great against each other, except that the Lancome is
    Ô-verpowering the Eau Sauvage.

(Sorry/NotSorry)
    I'll bet the O de Lancome was good with Eau Sauvage. I wore Ô again this evening and am struck by how much it reminds me of Eau Sauvage. I thought the same thing when I wore Trophee the other day. Suddenly I'm seeing Eau Sauvage in everything.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by RoRo View Post
    I hear you about Cuir de Russie. It's so big and fluffy, but I love it anyway.
    I'm not really up on my leathers. It's a category that I don't seem to "get". I remember reading that birch tar is typically involved in the creation of a Russian leather scent, but I don't know why that would be. Maybe I need to smell some actual Russian leather?
    I totally get what you’re saying about leathers. As simple as the idea of leather is, there’s a wide gamut of takes on it consisting of fragrances that present small variances which result in huge differences to the nose.

I’m not really qualified to speak on the history of Russian leathers, as my experience is overall very limited. There are a few pretty good articles on the web, and a couple good threads which can steer someone in the right direction, if they’re interested in Russian leathers. I would say that some old school Russian leather styled fragrances can be acquired for prices low enough to give a few a shot. And there are a couple threads here that give names to look into to see if you find something interesting, like this one http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...-not-the-usual

Jovan Gambler
    thread reviver

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by RoRo View Post
    Suddenly I'm seeing Eau Sauvage in everything.
    Well, it was a landmark that got emulated a lot....

Basenotes Plus

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

SOTE: Gengis Khan by Marc De La Morandiere

Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    What extracts have you tried for Vol de Nuit? I originally liked Mitsouko a lot more but when I tried a vintage extract of Vol de Nuit, it was so much better.
    Currently I have 2 x 8ml Vol de Nuit both 68-72 Extract and a 1999 93ml EDT.
    8ML Mitsouko 80's extract
    8ml Shalimar extract 70's
    2 ml Jicky extrait 60's?
    93ml Jicky EDT 1998
    2ML Vega Extrait unknown vintage
    4ml Pois de Senteurs extract unknown vintage
    Of these the Vol de Nuit in extract takes my heart with the Counterpoint presented by the honeyed Gslbanum.

2ML of ancient Sous le Vent extract is on the way. Perhaps that could alter my preference.
    One of the Joy's of both Vol de Nuit and Mitsouko in extract is that the market is currently awash and therefore can be had for non-Unicorn asking price.
    Scarcity is an illusion. Unlearn it.

Basenotes Plus

Currently I have 2 x 8ml Vol de Nuit both 68-72 Extract and a 1999 93ml EDT.
    Of these the Vol de Nuit in extract takes my heart with the Counterpoint presented by the honeyed Gslbanum.
    I was the lucky beneficiary of some of that '68-72 VdN extrait and have a dab of it on right now. Gosh, it's BIG for a parfum. And that sweet galbanum is like catnip. Talk about your eyes rolling back into your skull!

I'm not the biggest Guerlain fan, but this vintage VdN is downright Olympian.

Basenotes Plus

One of the Joy's of both Vol de Nuit and Mitsouko in extract is that the market is currently awash and therefore can be had for non-Unicorn asking price.
    Yes, I was surprised when I started shopping what good prices there are on Guerlain extraits on the aftermarket. And they're plentiful, too.

Page 439 of 470 FirstFirst ... 339 389 429 437 438 439 440 441 449 ... LastLast