Page 456 of 456 FirstFirst ... 356 406 446 454 455 456
Results 13,651 to 13,662 of 13662
    Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Your vintage SOTD

40 Love for Men by Jean Desprez

Basenotes Plus

SOTN:
    Sent from the bayou, using homing gators.

Freed from BN Institution

Quote Originally Posted by schnozz View Post
    40 Love for Men by Jean Desprez
    What do you think of it? That's something I want to try as it was resurrected by Manny's Rogue Perfumery as 40 Rogue.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Basenotes Junkie
    Blog Entries

Eau Libre by Yves Saint Laurent (1975)

More than most fragrances I've tried that are classified as unisex, this one leans masculine to my nose. I wish there was more information on Eau Libre to be found online. About all I was able to learn is that the nose was Michel Hy, and it was apparently conceived as a unisex scent from the start.

Currently wearing: Photo by Lagerfeld

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RoRo View Post
    Eau Libre by Yves Saint Laurent (1975)

More than most fragrances I've tried that are classified as unisex, this one leans masculine to my nose. I wish there was more information on Eau Libre to be found online. About all I was able to learn is that the nose was Michel Hy, and it was apparently conceived as a unisex scent from the start.

You got yourself a true unicorn there. No information, never appears for sale, and I presumed to be extinct until I saw this photo of your bottle. Nice to finally see a surviving example in the flesh that isn't a 40 year-old stock photo
    oh look, I have a signature

Basenotes Junkie
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    You got yourself a true unicorn there. No information, never appears for sale, and I presumed to be extinct until I saw this photo of your bottle. Nice to finally see a surviving example in the flesh that isn't a 40 year-old stock photo
    It seems that it sold poorly and was rather quickly discontinued. If you're someone who has actual memories of the fragrance, I could see spending some money to get a bottle in 2019. It's kind of subtle, though. A pleasant little scent that didn't catch on, rather than some sort of lost gem. If you can imagine, it's like they took a lime-based eau and masculinized it by adding a shaving foam accord.

I really enjoy it, and if it weren't so rare, I could see it being a "dumb reach" for me.

Freed from BN Institution

It seems that it sold poorly and was rather quickly discontinued. If you're someone who has actual memories of the fragrance, I could see spending some money to get a bottle in 2019. It's kind of subtle, though. A pleasant little scent that didn't catch on, rather than some sort of lost gem. If you can imagine, it's like they took a lime-based eau and masculinized it by adding a shaving foam accord.

I really enjoy it, and if it weren't so rare, I could see it being a "dumb reach" for me.
    From your description that sounds really good. I haven't heard of lime based eau being used.

Woto by Deviling would be a good fitting example that didn't make it. I believe it was from a lack of marketing and limited quantities that caused it to get discontinued after 10 years of its release. Very limited information about it. That's a true lost gem.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Yeah, I also remember the original marketing for Balenciaga Ho Hang was unisex too. Seemed there was a flurry of attempts to stir a unisex craze in the 70's that fell on deaf ears because gender norms simply didn't allow it. However, Calvin Klein seemed to have finally smashed that nail down in the 90's. Interesting to read about but not something I'd pursue because I'd be scared to use it if I did (akin to erasing history at that point), and as you mentioned, too expensive to be practical. I just wish it was better documented.
    oh look, I have a signature

Basenotes Junkie
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    Yeah, I also remember the original marketing for Balenciaga Ho Hang was unisex too. Seemed there was a flurry of attempts to stir a unisex craze in the 70's that fell on deaf ears because gender norms simply didn't allow it. However, Calvin Klein seemed to have finally smashed that nail down in the 90's. Interesting to read about but not something I'd pursue because I'd be scared to use it if I did (akin to erasing history at that point), and as you mentioned, too expensive to be practical. I just wish it was better documented.
    I didn't know that about Ho Hang. Now I'm curious to see some of the early ads for it.
    I do know that androgyny and "gender-bending" were part of the cultural conversation in the early 1970s. But I get the sense that, even in the bigger cities, it was something that the vast majority were loath to accept, let alone explore. Maybe the story of Eau Libre fits in there somewhere.

1986 Product Bottle

Tapatalk kullanarak iPhone aracılığıyla gönderildi

Basenotes Junkie
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    From your description that sounds really good. I haven't heard of lime based eau being used.

Woto by Deviling would be a good fitting example that didn't make it. I believe it was from a lack of marketing and limited quantities that caused it to get discontinued after 10 years of its release. Very limited information about it. That's a true lost gem.
    Woto is one I've only seen in photos. Ten years is not a bad run, though. I'm not sure Eau Libre lasted even that long. Actually, I have no idea when it was discontinued.

Black Jeans

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Page 456 of 456 FirstFirst ... 356 406 446 454 455 456