Code of Conduct
Page 482 of 486 FirstFirst ... 382 432 472 480 481 482 483 484 ... LastLast
Results 14,431 to 14,460 of 14579

Default Re: Your vintage SOTD

Quote Originally Posted by allkindsofwatches1 View Post
    Today, I'm wearing BURBERRYS For Men (1981).

This is much "greener" than the 1991 release. They are absolutely two totally different fragrances. I do enjoy both.

Good information here:

https://www.fragrantica.com/news/The...991-10989.html

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    I really enjoyed this fragrance today. I can't wait to wear it during the cooler months.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by roro View Post
    The 90° on the bottle is the only thing I see that really suggests pre-'80.
    Can anyone tell me why alcohol concentration is shown in degrees rather than in percentages?

(I'm too lazy to start a new thread.)

Basenotes Junkie
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    Can anyone tell me why alcohol concentration is shown in degrees rather than in percentages?

I haven't found a good answer.

Freed from BN Institution

Creed Aubepine Acacia
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Guerlain Sous Le Vent
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Quote Originally Posted by allkindsofwatches1 View Post
    I really enjoyed this fragrance today. I can't wait to wear it during the cooler months.

Never tried this formulation before, that's something that I'd like to compare with my small mini second formulation bottle. Do you get a barbershop feel with the first formulation?

Quote Originally Posted by Marand75 View Post
    SOTE is a new arrival and first-ever wearing for me, Chanel Pour Monsieur ('59) EdC 90°. Finally I own it, and OMG is this good or what! It smells elegant, deep, creamy, expensive, sparkling, gentlemanly and just stunning to my nose.
    No batchcode on the bottle, which leads me to believe it might be a pre-1980 bottling?
    I think it came after "A Gentlemen's Cologne" bottles. I'm thinking 1970s.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by Proust_Madeleine View Post
    I’m totally unfamiliar! Great stuff?
    I think it is.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

LOL. But good question. I will refer to this Q&A with a former Guerlain employee on ROTLS, question #7, his answer (at bottom of page) is short and sweet. Go here, CB: http://raidersofthelostscent.blogspo...-more.html?m=1
    Non IFRA Compliant & proud of it!

Basenotes Plus

I’m just waking up, so my brain isn’t fully going. #needcoffee. BUT, the basics deal with a French chemist figuring alcohol by volume in water and it being displayed as degrees instead of percentage. The important thing for my brain to remember is that it translates/equals directly the percentage of alcohol in a mixture. 80degrees equals 80% abv, and so on. So yea, the French did it to you.

Must. Have. Coffee.
    Sent from the bayou, using homing gators.

Basenotes Member

LOL. But good question. I will refer to this Q&A with a former Guerlain employee on ROTLS, question #7, his answer (at bottom of page) is short and sweet. Go here, CB: http://raidersofthelostscent.blogspo...-more.html?m=1
    See also: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcoho...me?wprov=sfti1

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    Never tried this formulation before, that's something that I'd like to compare with my small mini second formulation bottle. Do you get a barbershop feel with the first formulation?
    Yes I do. It's definitely a true fougere type fragrance. I got well acquainted with it for a couple of days. The dry down is very nice.

As I mentioned, the 1981 release is a different fragrance altogether. I'll wear it again today to get better acquainted with it.

Vintage formulation of Eau du Sud by Goutal
    I have found the paradox, that if you love until it hurts, there can be no more hurt, only more love.

Mother Teresa
    Currently wearing: Homme de Grès by Grès

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by PStoller View Post
    Thanks, guys. Both helpful, though neither explained "why". I guess we owe the 'degrees' nomenclature to a French chemist named Gay-Lussac.

I did learn something interesting about alcohol by volume (proof) in beverages, though -- it's slightly different in the US and the UK: 2.0 versus 1.75.

Another way of specifying the amount of alcohol is alcohol proof, which in the United States is twice the alcohol-by-volume (ABV) number. This may lead to confusion over similar products bought in varying regions that have different names on country specific labels. For example, Stroh rum that is 80% ABV is advertised and labeled as Stroh 80 when sold in Europe, but is named Stroh 160 when sold in the United States.

In the United Kingdom proof is 1.75 times the number (expressed as a percentage). For example, 40% abv is 80 proof in the US and 70 proof in the UK. However, since 1980, alcohol proof in the UK has been replaced by ABV as a measure of alcohol content.

Capucci PH

BURBERRYS For Men (1981)...

Again today. I've had this for maybe a year or so and I haven't worn it much. I'm really starting to appreciate it as a nice fragrance. It's worth the hype as far as being a classic 80s fragrance but not the crazy prices. I was so lucky to find this set at a great price.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    SOTE: Basala by Shiseido

Very nice, I'm still looking for but can't find in my country

Tapatalk kullanarak iPhone aracılığıyla gönderildi

Thanks, guys. Both helpful, though neither explained "why". I guess we owe the 'degrees' nomenclature to a French chemist named Gay-Lussac.

I did learn something interesting about alcohol by volume (proof) in beverages, though -- it's slightly different in the US and the UK: 2.0 versus 1.75.

Another way of specifying the amount of alcohol is alcohol proof, which in the United States is twice the alcohol-by-volume (ABV) number. This may lead to confusion over similar products bought in varying regions that have different names on country specific labels. For example, Stroh rum that is 80% ABV is advertised and labeled as Stroh 80 when sold in Europe, but is named Stroh 160 when sold in the United States.

In the United Kingdom proof is 1.75 times the number (expressed as a percentage). For example, 40% abv is 80 proof in the US and 70 proof in the UK. However, since 1980, alcohol proof in the UK has been replaced by ABV as a measure of alcohol content.
    I knew about the US proof (from watching "Moonshiners" on Discovery), but was unaware of the UK equivalent.
    Another day of learning something new. Thanks, CB!

People of Zee Wurl, Relax

Today is Vétiver - Annick Goutal

I picked up a second bottle a few months ago that I believe is much older than my square one (as pictured in directory here). It is the ribbed cylindrical style with a hang tag. Paper sticker on bottom with EMB code and handwritten concration percantage and volume. Dark amber colored liquid versus the yellow in the square bottle. It smells even better too. Highly unique portrayal of vetiver, I can't believe it came out in the mid-80's. I should post some photos and see if anyone could help date it.

I have been seriously behind in posting VSOTDs. Mostly been wearing ^^^ this summer, vtg. Or Black and Azzaro pour Homme, with a smattering of Kouros Fraîcheur and Adidas/Eau de Marand. A friend recently sent me a decant of Teatro alla Scala (Krizia) which had been on the "to try" list for a long time. It is absolutely gorgeous. Will probably pounce on a 25ml spray at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    Luciano Pavarotti - rarely have the reviews been so spot on for me. Massive but oddly dry honey, booze, rose, patchouli and oakmoss. Despite the large note list, it feels cohesive and tight. And it's one of those dual personal "warm/cool" scents. Warm honey and booze, cool patch, moss and florals. Smooth, powdery, inviting scent bubble. Soapier up close. It reminds me just a little of Paco Rabanne La Nuit, but softer, more friendly. Some Balenciage Ho Hang Club DNA too. Thanks again to Paps for a great discovery.
    Isn't it fantastic? Hell of a honeyed patchouli with seriously smooth blending. Makes me think of a slightly more updated Givenchy Gentleman but still with plenty of old-school character. It has been in and out of my cart on eBay multiple times but I am still living on a decant from either paps or PC.

Luciano Pavarotti is a bit dandyish for my tastes, but it's impeccably made, with a dazzlingly complex structure. They don't make 'em like that anymore.
    Current Favorites
    Aramis Tuscany per Uomo, Cartier L'Envol EDP, Dior Eau Sauvage EDT, Guerlain Héritage EDT, Guerlain L'Instant Pour Homme EDT, Lalique Pour Homme Lion EDP, Michael Kors Michael for Men (Vtg), Odori Tabacco, Tom Ford Noir Anthracite, Tom Ford Ombré Leather

People of Zee Wurl, Relax

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    Luciano Pavarotti is a bit dandyish for my tastes, but it's impeccably made, with a dazzlingly complex structure. They don't make 'em like that anymore.
    I would concur with it being on the dandy end of things for sure. Dandy isn't a preferred genre that I'd like to have on myself all day, although Pavarotti is surely one I wouldn't complain about if it were my only option in the category. I think my reference dandy is Habit Rouge, which I think is structured beautifully, but I can't stand wearing it.

Quote Originally Posted by IsoESuperman View Post
    I would concur with it being on the dandy end of things for sure. Dandy isn't a preferred genre that I'd like to have on myself all day, although Pavarotti is surely one I wouldn't complain about if it were my only option in the category. I think my reference dandy is Habit Rouge, which I think is structured beautifully, but I can't stand wearing it.
    Oh, I can enjoy wearing LP. I derive no pleasure from HR.
    Current Favorites
    Aramis Tuscany per Uomo, Cartier L'Envol EDP, Dior Eau Sauvage EDT, Guerlain Héritage EDT, Guerlain L'Instant Pour Homme EDT, Lalique Pour Homme Lion EDP, Michael Kors Michael for Men (Vtg), Odori Tabacco, Tom Ford Noir Anthracite, Tom Ford Ombré Leather

Dependent

Basenotes Plus

SOTD is Masculin 2
    Sent from the bayou, using homing gators.

Quote Originally Posted by IsoESuperman View Post
    Adidas/Eau de Marand.
    LOL nice one, thanks. Good to have you back, sir!

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

IMG_20180615_172417_301.jpg

Azzaro Pour Homme (1978)
    oh look, I have a signature

Puig Quorum (testing from mini). It has been an absolute joy going through a batch of vintage mini's last week. Last of the batch is Quorum. Being someone that is not really into green fougeres I'm still waiting to sniff that one to win me over. Unfortunately Quorom isn't going to be it.
    Currently wearing: Quorum by Antonio Puig

Default Your vintage SOTD

SOTD was CPM EdC. Still gorgeous.
    For bedtime will be 1 spray of non-IFRA-compliant oakmoss absolute dissolved in oakmoss fragrance-oil applied to t-shirt. Heavenly...

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

SOTE: O Pour Homme by Lancome

Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

For bedtime will be 1 spray of non-IFRA-compliant oakmoss absolute dissolved in oakmoss fragrance-oil applied to t-shirt. Heavenly...
    If I catch you chopping oakmoss on a mirror and snorting it with a straw I'm calling an intervention.
    oh look, I have a signature

Page 482 of 486 FirstFirst ... 382 432 472 480 481 482 483 484 ... LastLast