Code of Conduct
o

Default Roja Parfums ROJA - Anything Else Like It?

Recently got the chance to try this masterpiece out at Harrod's, and I'm smitten. I've never smelled anything as complex, balanced or, well, good as this stuff. I do feel Enigma Pour Homme approaches it during the dry down, after the boozy tobacco subsides, but only gets about 90% of the way there. I did try Mitsouko EdP recently, and though I see the similarity in the basenotes (oakmoss?), the peach sticks out in Guerlain's scent sticks out when compared to what I remember of ROJA.

Has anyone found an alternative to ROJA's flagship? Maybe some vintage Mitsouko, as I've heard it contains a less intense peach and, of course, real oakmoss. If all else fails, I could shell out for a decant of the real deal.

P.S. The only thing I didn't like about ROJA was the presentation, namely the gold flakes. I get the point he's trying to make (that the gold is, pound-for-pound, the least valuable ingredient in the bottle. However, in person it seems unnecessary. Not to mention that the actual effect is more of a gold snow globe than the version shown in press images. Nothing against the scent itself..but that piece just irked me.

Default Re: Roja Parfums ROJA - Anything Else Like It?

Semi-Bespoke #5 by Roja is very similar. Doesn't have any gold in it either.

I believe it may be possible to have a bottle of ROJA prepared without the gold flakes.
    Prices Rreduced!UK Only:UK Only:Roja/Creed/ASAQ/Cartier/Agar Aura/Ensar Oud

My UK Swapsies!

Current favourites:
    Frederic Malle The Night
    Roja Dove Semi Bespoke 14
    Roja Dove Roja (Haute Luxe)
    Kilian Eternal Oud
    Chanel Cuir de Russie Parfum
    Roja Dove Great Britain
    Nabeel Spirit of Dubai Baz

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by thyman3 View Post
    Has anyone found an alternative to ROJA's flagship?
    is this sold exclusively in the Salon in Harrods, or can this be gotten elsewhere?
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

As far as I know, yes, they're only available at Harrod's. Sorry to say, but I was too distracted by the other goods to remember to try the semi-bespoke line (I think you need to ask to try them, they're not on display).

I did buy some vintage Mitsouko parfum last night (found a good deal), though I don't know if it will fit the bill. I like Mitsouko anyways, so worst case scenario is I get stuck with a great version of a fantastic fragrance.

As far as I know, yes, they're only available at Harrod's.
    Thanks. I thought that might be the case.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    is this sold exclusively in the Salon in Harrods, or can this be gotten elsewhere?
    http://www.jovoyparis.com/product.php?id_product=1951
    Prices Rreduced!UK Only:UK Only:Roja/Creed/ASAQ/Cartier/Agar Aura/Ensar Oud

My UK Swapsies!

Current favourites:
    Frederic Malle The Night
    Roja Dove Semi Bespoke 14
    Roja Dove Roja (Haute Luxe)
    Kilian Eternal Oud
    Chanel Cuir de Russie Parfum
    Roja Dove Great Britain
    Nabeel Spirit of Dubai Baz

Well, it took some searching--some searching, and an agonizing wait for shipping from europe--but I finally got my hands on a decant of Semi-Bespoke #5. BigBloke completely called it; it is VERY similar to what I remember of Roja's flagship. A good thing, too, since it was just a matter of time before I pulled the trigger on a much, much more expensive decant of the "real thing".

Opens very similarly to the bottle of vintage Mitsouko I bought last month--bitter peach and a copious amount of real oakmoss. After about thirty minutes, though, it settles into the same insanely good smell from last month at Harrods. Well...not EXACTLY the same. Semi-Bespoke #5 has a bit of peach, a dash of sandalwood, and a mild undercurrent of leather. I'm indifferent about the peach, but I actually appreciate the latter two additions. The sandalwood is great quality, reminiscent of Xerjoff's Richwood, while the leather is lifted from Puredistance M and Roja Fetish which--for anyone keeping score--is a very good thing.

My new German friend also included a surprise sample of Semi-bespoke #7. Have not tried it yet, but have heard it's slap-yourself-in-the-face animalic, so we will just have to see how that works out.

Thanks again for the advice, BigBloke.
    Last edited by thyman3; 17th May 2016 at 02:16 AM.

Thanks for for providing the link.

My mistake.. Thought hednic was asking about the semi bespoke scents.

Recently got the chance to try this masterpiece out at Harrod's, and I'm smitten. I've never smelled anything as complex, balanced or, well, good as this stuff. I do feel Enigma Pour Homme approaches it during the dry down, after the boozy tobacco subsides, but only gets about 90% of the way there. I did try Mitsouko EdP recently, and though I see the similarity in the basenotes (oakmoss?), the peach sticks out in Guerlain's scent sticks out when compared to what I remember of ROJA.

Has anyone found an alternative to ROJA's flagship? Maybe some vintage Mitsouko, as I've heard it contains a less intense peach and, of course, real oakmoss. If all else fails, I could shell out for a decant of the real deal.

P.S. The only thing I didn't like about ROJA was the presentation, namely the gold flakes. I get the point he's trying to make (that the gold is, pound-for-pound, the least valuable ingredient in the bottle. However, in person it seems unnecessary. Not to mention that the actual effect is more of a gold snow globe than the version shown in press images. Nothing against the scent itself..but that piece just irked me.
    Ok at least I'm not going crazy. I've tried Roja (aka Haute Luxe) twice and I get a pretty distinct resemblance to Enigma. It smells like a muted enigma to my nose after it dries down. I also get a hint of Diaghilev. It is a decent smelling frag, but here are several i would pick over it even if the price is not taken into considerations.
    Last edited by papillo; 20th July 2017 at 10:22 PM.

Dependent

I was recently gifted a bottle of this fragrance from a very dear friend and I’m still in shock. I have always loved this fragrance and I would consider it to be my favorite fragrance of all time. The scent makes my eyes roll back and is just perfect to me. So rich, luxurious, and opulent. It really feels like what perfumes were meant to be. Especially grand old chypre/ orientals of days gone by. Just perfect IMO.

yes it is very very nice smelling.
    grips the senses like a ferret at your jugular
    Currently wearing: Silver Cologne by Amouage

Quote Originally Posted by KBF1972 View Post
    I was recently gifted a bottle of this fragrance from a very dear friend and I’m still in shock. I have always loved this fragrance and I would consider it to be my favorite fragrance of all time. The scent makes my eyes roll back and is just perfect to me. So rich, luxurious, and opulent. It really feels like what perfumes were meant to be. Especially grand old chypre/ orientals of days gone by. Just perfect IMO.
    Sounds wonderful.