Code of Conduct

Default Storage of diffusive materials

Maybe it is very stupid of me, but these are things as they are now.

Recently I opened my box where I store my chemical materials (I usually store them in plastic vacuum food containers) and discovered that everything smells like a mixture of indole and aldehydes and somewhat else. Some bottles smelled like this even inside (being closed firmly).

Now I even do not know what chemicals exactly were the most diffusive and made everything smell the same.

What chemicals do you keep separately from others and HOW do you store them?

Default Re: Storage of diffusive materials

If you store the bottles (provided that they are properly closed) in plastic containers with lids then there are no problems. For such a strong-smelling substance lyke Civet, Costus, indole etc I put each bottle in a plastic bag with velcro and then put it in a glass jar with a tight screw cap))

Dmitriy, thanks! ))

Glass container sounds good.

I put my jar with indole into three (!) zip plastic bags, but that didn't work! Maybe it's because I have a powder of indole (non-diluted)

The fact that polyethylene transmits odors I realized this when I tried to keep the smelling strips with perfume from the store. Even the bags with velcro after five days blotters do not smell anything. Try a glass jar with a tight lid only in this way I could get rid of the smell of civet ))

Don't store any Essential oil or aroma chemical in anything plastic. Always use glass, and make sure the stopper fits. Some chemicals seem to be able to get through the smallest gap. There will always be a little odour, the aim is to minimise it as much as possible.

Thanks, David!

It became clear that I should put all my dry chemicals into glass jars. Sellers usually put all liquids in glass but for some reason they sell powders in polyethylene boxes .

Perfumery materials are volatile, even the solids. A vapour can pass through the smallest of spaces. Many perfumery ingredients will soften plastics (depends on the plastic, of course) or even pass through plastic. Glass, and ideally dark glass, is best.