Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Junkie

Default Kerosene - Canfield Cedar and Blackmail

Can someone speak to me about these two exclusive Kerosene perfumes? What are they like? Any similar scents? Not much info available online.
    Please subscribe to my thread below, join my group on Facebook, and check out my collection (most available) doc!

Eric's collection
    Reddit splits and decants
    Current Splits

Splits & Decants on Facebook

Default Re: Kerosene - Canfield Cedar and Blackmail

hey-just saw your inquiry......

Canfield Cedar is quite nice. Not overbearing or in your face. Pleasant.
    I have never heard of 'Blackmail'.
    I need to do some research on that one!

Research-
    Blackmail was created for and is for now, only available from a boutique in Austin, Texas (Blackmail Boutique) like 'Canfield Cedar' was created for a boutique (Willy's) in Detroit, MI. Canfield Cedar was only available at that particular boutique but is now available on his site 'House of Kerosene' .

Canfield Cedar: cedar, sandalwood, tobacco, pepper, oakmoss
    ww.houseofkerosene.com/#!product/prd1/4495145091/canfield-cedar

Blackmail: amber, vanilla, with a hint of juicy dark berries; smoky sandalwood and oud.
    https://www.facebook.com/blackmailboutique/

Thanks for the info Meow7. I am a bit of a fan of Kerosene but have never tried these. I will need to keep an eye out for these to try sometime.
    Current Winter Favorites:

1. House of Matriarch - Blackbird
    2. Brückner - Aoud 1
    3. Armani Privé - Oud Royal
    4. Stéphane Humbert Lucas 777 - Generation Man
    5. Creed - Royal Oud
    6. by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    7. Stéphane Humbert Lucas 777 - Mortal Skin
    8. Creed - Royal English Leather
    9. Ormonde Jayne - Black Gold
    10. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Haven't tried either, but like the notes of the latter.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

I just got a Kerosene sampler pack. I had wanted to revisit the line, as I had tried Broken Theories and liked it.
    Oddly enough Blackmail was the first one I tried (out of say 12). It's fairly stunning to be quite honest, I am debating a FB purchase.
    The sandalwood/berry opening is amazing, but I'm on the fence in terms of longevity. For the record I like very strong, powerhouse scents (Slumberhouse, Creed), which I think Kerosene generally nails well.

ok...can you describe 'Blackmail' a little more?

If possible:

Is it on the sweet side (berries, amber, vanilla), or obviously sweet ? His 'Unforsaken' is utterly uber sweet on me.
    Or do you just smell a delish combo of berries + sandalwood?
    Is it a gourmand (foodie fruity scent re: berries, amber, vanilla?)
    Is the oud a pronounced and obvious note throughout the scent or in the drydown?
    Can you describe the drydown? (sandalwood + oud?)
    How smokey is the "smokey' sandalwood-like a firepit or ashtray or just nuanced?

Thanks for your input!

Quote Originally Posted by campreverb View Post
    I just got a Kerosene sampler pack. I had wanted to revisit the line, as I had tried Broken Theories and liked it.
    Oddly enough Blackmail was the first one I tried (out of say 12). It's fairly stunning to be quite honest, I am debating a FB purchase.
    The sandalwood/berry opening is amazing, but I'm on the fence in terms of longevity. For the record I like very strong, powerhouse scents (Slumberhouse, Creed), which I think Kerosene generally nails well.

Quote Originally Posted by Meow7 View Post
    ok...can you describe 'Blackmail' a little more?

Thanks for your input!

I'll give it a shot, with the caveat that this is how it is on me-as everyone's skin is so different, and that I'm just an aficionado, not a trained nose. Kerosene scents in general (Unknown Pleasures, Broken Theories and now Blackmail) are really dark on me, which is kind of why I wanted to try the whole line out.

the opening is pretty much the berries/vanilla, but the berries are more of a dried, earthy scent, like the darker overtones to a blueberry, and the vanilla more resinous and boozy. after the opening it shifts into the woody scent with the sandalwood and amber hovering over the berries, with very little of the vanilla. I don't feel a lot of smokiness overall in the scent, though I think it is more of a fall scent. as mentioned above, it somewhat rapidly fades into a skin scent though it lasts a good 7-8 hours, and projections is 2 inches tops.

hmm...I'm obviously no Silver Fox (the blogger), but maybe it would be more illuminating to say that Blackmail is how I hoped Tom Ford Tobacco Vanilla would smell. I know there are a lot of fans on here, but I found it one-dimensional, and overly sweet. which is what I think you are getting at with Blackmail.

Thanks for your expanded, more in depth observations on Blackmail. Your description makes it even more intriguing, enough to check this one out. Good review!
    Thanks!

I'll give it a shot, with the caveat that this is how it is on me-as everyone's skin is so different, and that I'm just an aficionado, not a trained nose. Kerosene scents in general (Unknown Pleasures, Broken Theories and now Blackmail) are really dark on me, which is kind of why I wanted to try the whole line out.

the opening is pretty much the berries/vanilla, but the berries are more of a dried, earthy scent, like the darker overtones to a blueberry, and the vanilla more resinous and boozy. after the opening it shifts into the woody scent with the sandalwood and amber hovering over the berries, with very little of the vanilla. I don't feel a lot of smokiness overall in the scent, though I think it is more of a fall scent. as mentioned above, it somewhat rapidly fades into a skin scent though it lasts a good 7-8 hours, and projections is 2 inches tops.

hmm...I'm obviously no Silver Fox (the blogger), but maybe it would be more illuminating to say that Blackmail is how I hoped Tom Ford Tobacco Vanilla would smell. I know there are a lot of fans on here, but I found it one-dimensional, and overly sweet. which is what I think you are getting at with Blackmail.

Quote Originally Posted by Meow7 View Post
    Thanks for your expanded, more in depth observations on Blackmail. Your description makes it even more intriguing, enough to check this one out. Good review!
    Thanks!
    Please report back, I'd love to hear your thoughts as well!

Cool Re: Kerosene - Canfield Cedar and Blackmail

Received my sample, so here are my thoughts on 'Blackmail'" (with my chemistry!)

- I love the opening, but very fleeting, top notes! Dark, realistic berries and vanilla. Some quick booziness, but not much on my skin. Some sweet, but no sugary sweetness, just beautiful top note scent and I am usually not a gourmand fragrance person!
    - The smoke appears almost immediately after the fleeting opening notes, as soon as the top notes dissipate. It enters slowly and then seems to magnify in intensity. Obvious smokiness, but not too 'ashtray' that it is not tolerable. Sweetness lingers with it, but it's harder to distinguish any individual berry or vanilla. For me, it balances on a border of headache inducing material. Not due to uber sweetness, maybe just the juxtaposition and intensity of smoke and sweet.
    - The oud starts peeking through shortly after the smoke drifts in and is very apparent, mixed with the smoke, with the sweet dropping to the background, but still apparent and present. The oud enters quietly then increases in intensity just like the smoke note does.
    - In the end bottom notes, Smoke and oud are still present, along with a mix of sandalwood & sweet.
    - I would say that this absolutely leans more to male wearers. It's not candy sweet and has the oud and smoke vibe going on.
    - I agree it is more suited to cooler weather than warm.
    - Nice projection, typical Kerosene sillage and then wafting potential. Wearing it, I didn't get the 'quickly fading into a skin scent', with my chemistry and I did like the pleasant wafting scent when it finally faded down somewhat. Way more than 2" of skin scent projection on me when it toned down or faded somewhat.
    - All in all, 'Blackmail' leans to the male side of the fragrance category, is a nice Kerosene fragrance for those familiar with this brand and his perfume creating style.
    For myself, I'll have to give it a pass. Smoke and oud are not my favorite notes!

Please report back, I'd love to hear your thoughts as well!
    Last edited by Meow7; 30th August 2016 at 02:22 PM.