Code of Conduct

Default Are most vintage, original scents in their final availability phase?

It seems to me that the small pond is being overfished. Early versions of Kouros, Dior, Escada, Malle, Gucci, Creed, Gaultier etc. are quickly disappearing from availability, and, when available, the prices are rising to extremely high levels. Most reformulated scents, while available, do not have the same depth and nuance as the originals. I know this has been going on for some time, but in the case of some men's fragrances, they have now become virtually extinct.

Default Re: Are most vintage, original scents in their final availability phase?

True indeed. A lot of vintage and even not so vintage fragrances are becoming obsolete. Of course as demand increases so will prices. Shame really. Cost cutting and restrictions on material use reallyhurt the quality of perfume.
    MY STEALTHY FREEDOM.

Wearing Perfume Right Now

Default Re: Are most vintage, original scents in their final availability phase?

Sales of partial bottles will increase. The juice is being stored in peoples' closets for now.

Overall, I have been surprised by how many original formulations of fragrances from the 1980s I have been able to pick up over the last couple years, from cellophane-wrapped to 80% full.
    Currently wearing: Tsar by Van Cleef & Arpels

Pretty much, yes- finding it almost difficult to believe that some of these fragrances may still be available and at the same time, at good prices, almost completely against the predominant trend
    Currently wearing: Open by Roger & Gallet

Basenoters, stop buying perfumes for 6 months and the prices will change back to normal.

I think the cost will go further up, regardless of whether BN buy or not...Buy while it lasts & what u can afford till today's watery liquids sold as fragrances become the next vintage!!!

Agree with the OP, the depth in particular is something terribly lacking in fragrances of the last 10-15 yrs, bar a few predominantly niche creations (& even lesser # from designers)...
    Currently wearing: Moustache by Rochas

Quote Originally Posted by badarun View Post
    I think the cost will go further up, regardless of whether BN buy or not...
    A., do you really think that except Basenotes, Fragrantica and Parfumo members, there are people who are interested in vintage perfumes?
    (And give a bunch of money to buy them upon that?)
    I highly, highly doubt that my friend...

^^^ Some antique collectors buy vtg fragrances too & try to sell it up online / etsy etc - had couple of such offers once...

But regardless of amount being bought or the price, the more important issue is that these aren't in production - so unless someone miraculously stocks 200 bottles of a sought out vtg, whatever is online / left unsold are what we are left with - older the rarer...Issue is to get good sources from what is left & that for sure is getting harder by the day - almost a majority of vtg's are opened / used pieces, which i totally avoid.

Quote Originally Posted by badarun View Post
    ^^^ Some antique collectors buy vtg fragrances too & try to sell it up online / etsy etc - had couple of such offers once...

But regardless of amount being bought or the price, the more important issue is that these aren't in production - so unless someone miraculously stocks 200 bottles of a sought out vtg, whatever is online / left unsold are what we are left with - older the rarer...Issue is to get good sources from what is left & that for sure is getting harder by the day - almost a majority of vtg's are opened / used pieces, which i totally avoid.

I have the impression that you haven't understood what i have said/proposed

I do understand MM - and agree, just added the antique buyers to your list of ppl that seek vtg's.

2nd part of my response was with rgds to cost & how it can only go up, due to dwindling supply...

Quote Originally Posted by perfectscents View Post
    It seems to me that the small pond is being overfished.
    I think that's a pretty fair assessment.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Plus

Folks, please stop fishing in my pond

If you want to see rock bottom prices convince Hednic to liquidate his inventory
    Last edited by epapsiou; 14th April 2016 at 03:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Monsieur Montana View Post
    A., do you really think that except Basenotes, Fragrantica and Parfumo members, there are people who are interested in vintage perfumes?
    (And give a bunch of money to buy them upon that?)
    I highly, highly doubt that my friend...
    Yes, I sold more than once vintage bottles to people who never even heard about BN or FR.
    Those are people who just look up the internet to see if they can get somewhere their old signature scent as so they told me.
    My Top '10' : (In no particular order)

- Dolce & Gabbana: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Van Cleef & Arpels: Pour Homme
    - Armani: Acqua di Gio Profumo
    - Davidoff: Leather Blend Edp
    - Ferrari: Essence Oud Edp
    - Chanel: Platinum Egoiste
    - YSL: Kouros (Fraîcheur)
    - Dior: Fahrenheit (Aqua)
    - Mancera: Cedrat Boise
    - Knize Ten

That's the way this kind of market tends to work (I'd definitely put it in the "collectibles" realm, though fragrances are more of a "rarity" because people use them up over time). However, there will still be plenty of "true vintage" bottles being "unearthed" for some time to come. It's only the prices that may settle at perhaps $200 and up (for any "decent" vintage designer). I'm guessing that level makes sense in light of what the "chemical mess" new designers are selling for at local dept. stores.

I've stocked up as much as possible within reason.
    Lets face it, pre-2000 fragrances are not going to get cheaper.
    If the new stuff thats coming out now wasnt utter garbage for the most part, there wouldnt be a lucrative market for these older fragrances.
    As long as garbage is released in the current market, demand will go up for the older stuff, hence higher prices.
    I say get it now, or you'll regret it.

Quote Originally Posted by epapsiou View Post
    Folks, please stop fishing in my pond

If you want to see rock bottom prices convince Hednic to liquidate his inventory
    +1 ---100% Agree ...Hednic will be a multi-millionaire many times over (again ) -just by liquidating his hidden stash !

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MegaMav View Post
    I've stocked up as much as possible within reason.
    Lets face it, pre-2000 fragrances are not going to get cheaper.
    If the new stuff thats coming out now wasnt utter garbage for the most part, there wouldnt be a lucrative market for these older fragrances.
    As long as garbage is released in the current market, demand will go up for the older stuff, hence higher prices.
    I say get it now, or you'll regret it.
    which top 5 have you hoarded multiple bottles of ..I am curious ---for me a meager stashing ...LIDGE / Pasha / A*Men Pure Malt / Encre Noir Sport / D&G pour homme ...nothing significant ..as of now !

Shhhh. It's my pond and i've got them.

They wouldn't be of such interest if the current reformulation regulations hadn't forced all the modern fragrances into versions of fly spray. Imagine if we were all still allowed to make decent perfumes using quality ingredients legally. How crazy is this world?

Now you have to look to uber-niche to get any chance of a similar quality ingredient use as vintage. However you don't get the same sort of staff there as you used to get with all the trained noses from vintage perfume houses. So the gambling stakes are much higher. Keep your eyes peeled for those who care about the perfume quality. They do exist but you have to look harder.

With vintage, it has already been proved, just like life, in that you have to learn the good lessons from your elders.
    The PONK club - gymnosium for perfumers
    Twitter - Follow @PonkClub for regular twitter updates

My Tincture list

A perfumed life - Tinctures, perfumes, cordials, wines and ingredients

Quote Originally Posted by Himalayan odyssey View Post
    which top 5 have you hoarded multiple bottles of ..I am curious ---for me a meager stashing ...LIDGE / Pasha / A*Men Pure Malt / Encre Noir Sport / D&G pour homme ...nothing significant ..as of now !
    I have a significant amount of:

Polo Modern Reserve (20oz)
    Cosmair & Warner Polo (12oz)
    Carven Homme (10oz)
    Hermes Bel Ami (8oz)
    Gucci Pour Homme 2003 (9oz)
    Comme des Garcons 1994 EDP (6.67oz)

Carven Homme (10oz)
    Hermes Bel Ami (8oz)
    Wow....20oz of modern reserve ...and others have ensured that u have insured your future 7 generations of quality scents for atleast a century ....that's an awesome hoard....its quite inspiring for me....as the maximum I have is 7oz of LIDGE and 20 is an awesome bench mark......too gud ...thanks for sharing !

Basenotes Plus

Carven Homme (10oz)
    Hermes Bel Ami (8oz)
    So you are the Hunt brothers of vintages. Let me know when you decide to sell some

Blog Entries

I've found that some vintage bottles I bought earlier were in better shape than those I bought later-- even a year or two later. Don't forget some of these bottles come from estate sales. It's quite possible the bottles weren't being stored properly (cool and dark.)

So I say: Buy them sooner, and store them properly.

If you're talking about fragrances that were discontinued at the end of the the 1980s for example, that's already almost thirty years ago. The pond isn't necessarily being overfished; it's that the pond is so small by now anyway.

M7 is hard to find now , you will not find it less than $150 , Luckily here in Saudi Arabia I can still find vintages for a very reasonable price

I totally agree with you.
    Currently wearing: Vaniteck by Molinard

Quote Originally Posted by Slayerized View Post
    Yes, I sold more than once vintage bottles to people who never even heard about BN or FR.
    Those are people who just look up the internet to see if they can get somewhere their old signature scent as so they told me.
    I agree. One shouldn't assume the world is so small. There are many others who are also interested in the same things as you are MM.
    I've notice supplies are definitely dwindling down and prices keep going up.

One thing that no one is mentioning is that certain fragrances were more popular, produced in larger quantities, and sold over a longer period of time than others were. This does affect availability and prices.

Let me give the example of Rochas Femme, the original formulation from 1944. It is absolutely stupendous, a fruity plum chypre, totally unisex in tone today. It was reformulated beyond recognition over 25 years ago, in 1989. However, the original formula can still be had at very reasonable prices on Ebay. If you find a bottle of Parfum de Toilette from the 1970s or 1980s, it can go for as little as $35 for the 1.7 oz size. I once found an absolutely huge (3 oz) bottle for sale at $80. But this is a fragrance that's been in production for 71 years, was one of the most popular and best-selling scents in France for a number of decades, and was exported in vast quantities to the US.

The comparison to Dior's very similar original version of Diorama, released in 1946 (basically Femme with orange peel instead of plum) is telling: it did not sell as well, was basically discontinued in the 1970s via refomulation, and is all but impossible to find today.

I think you're probably right.

And, just as the majority of vintage fragrances I own are 'accidental', so too will my more recent purchases one day be vintage. So it goes.

Ha, now this is an enabling thread if ever I read one!

I'm trying not to get too sucked into the vintage rabbit hole, and generally try to only buy if I come across a good bargain for something I want.

Mumsy, do you have any recommendation of "uber niche" companies you'd recommend? I'd be really interested to explore brands that have the kind of quality ingredients you mention.