Code of Conduct

Default How do they smell, the same?

I see various perfumes smelling like other ones, atleast pretty close (if not the same)
    On a closer look, the notes of them seem to vary vastly.

But with quite different notes, how/why do they smell the same?
    Am I even thinking it right?

Just for instance Bvlgari Man in Black has

Top Notes
    Rum, Cardamom, Cinnamon
    Heart Notes
    Tuberose, Iris, Leather
    Base notes
    Benzoin, Tonka bean, Guaiac wood, Black amber

and

Spicebomb has

Top Notes
    Bergamot, Grapefruit
    Heart Notes
    Elemi, Pink pepper
    Base notes
    Leather, Tobacco, Vetiver

But they do smell a little similiar.

Default Re: How do they smell, the same?

Just like Costume National Homme and Chanel Egoiste! I would like to know the reason too!
    Currently wearing: Interlude Man by Amouage

Wearing Perfume Right Now

Maybe a common note, perhaps unlisted, or a common fixative is enough to make a connection.

I have always wondered why people find Bvlgari Man In Black and Spicebomb similar. I have owned both and I did not find them smelling the same. Not even near.

Quote Originally Posted by Herne View Post
    I have always wondered why people find Bvlgari Man In Black and Spicebomb similar. I have owned both and I did not find them smelling the same. Not even near.
    That question apart, which is always ambiguous... My question is more generic

I think it's to do with the cutting and pasting of ready made accords. The frags themselves are different but the brain picks up on the similarities and places less emphasis on the differences.

The accords are like the fragrance equivalent of cheat sheets for cooking where a whole bunch of ingredients are already prepped and the lazy chef, or perfumer in this case, sticks a few of them together like Lego to get started with their creation.

Very lazy way of creating but it's a cut and paste world we live in nowadays.

Notes are often fantasy. There's no guarantee that the perfume actually contains them, or that they are present in sufficient amounts. The main component of perfumes are usually synthetic aromachemicals, which sometimes are associated with a note, sometimes not.

So it's possible that two perfumes smell similar because they have the same underlying structure of synthetic aromachemicals, but the stated notes are very different. Viceversa, it also happens that two perfumes have the same notes and smell completely different.

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Notes are often fantasy. There's no guarantee that the perfume actually contains them, or that they are present in sufficient amounts. The main component of perfumes are usually synthetic aromachemicals, which sometimes are associated with a note, sometimes not.

So it's possible that two perfumes smell similar because they have the same underlying structure of synthetic aromachemicals, but the stated notes are very different. Viceversa, it also happens that two perfumes have the same notes and smell completely different.

cacio
    Exactly... a note is just a reference... either provided by the creators\marketing or the public that lists them in the other website and magazines...

It may not be such a recent and far more common situation, having sensed a quite strong similarity between two powerhouses highly enjoyed personally: Santos de Cartier and Van Cleef&Arpels pour Homme

Reside in McLean, NYC, Manuel Antonio & Búzios

Sometimes the way notes are blended together can give off a similar vibe.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Just marketing, which is conspicuous in its omissions.

I agree
    Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post
    Maybe a common note, perhaps unlisted, or a common fixative is enough to make a connection.

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

cacio
    This.
    Currently wearing: Tuscan Leather by Tom Ford

They smell nothing like each other

People of Zee Wurl, Relax

cacio
    ^Hits nail on head. Couldn't have said it better myself.
    Currently wearing: Baudelaire by Byredo