Code of Conduct

Default Mixed experiences with Aventus

I love the smell of Aventus so I have been trying it in stores and I bought a sample from a reputable sample seller (scentsamples.uk.com) but I've had mixed experiences.

1. the store I went to today gave me a liberal wash in the stuff and 4 hours on the smell is lovely - still a bit fruity with smokiness

2. the sample gives a superb blast of pineapple but within 30 minutes it has faded to a green, wet-leaves and smoke flavour - eventually fading to something like celery, which is really disappointing.

After chatting with an SA today I came up with a few explanations for the difference:

1. the sample and shop tester were different batches - are newer batches more fruity and older ones more vertiver/earthy/smokey?

2. does it need a big blast of the stuff to keep all the flavours and stop them fading - did I just not put on enough?

3. the SA said on him it is a chameleon - some days smelling different to other days, maybe reacting to body chemistry or physical activity

Do you guys notice widely different dry-downs for Aventus and what do you think is the best explanation? I'd love to be able to rely on it enough to buy a full bottle but I prefer the fruity notes to last longer.

Reside in McLean, Va. Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: Mixed experiences with Aventus

Quote Originally Posted by Cheburashka View Post
    Do you guys notice widely different dry-downs for Aventus
    Speaking only for myself - not really.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

I have noticed my bottle of Aventus (13R01) can differ depending on the day I wear it. Sometimes fruity, sometimes smoky. Strange!

Quote Originally Posted by ripjean View Post
    I have noticed my bottle of Aventus (13R01) can differ depending on the day I wear it. Sometimes fruity, sometimes smoky. Strange!
    Could it be the weather? I noticed aventus is smokey when its cool/cold and fruity when it's warm/hot. The first time i wore aventus was towards the end of winter and i fell in love with the dark smokey scent. The next few wearings got less & less smokey, i contributed it to the bottle oxidizing/macerating or whatever you want to call it. Then one day i was at the grocery store & opened the cooler door to get some ice cream & there it was! i got a huge blast of smokey birch and it hit me, it's the weather that causes the change. Now winter is my favorite time of year to wear aventus. lol
    I came here to talk fragrances & chew bubblegum.. and i'm all out of bubblegum.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchapalooza View Post
    Could it be the weather?
    That's a good point because heat must have an effect on the way that different components evaporate/vaporise. It's such an interesting scent - even with the negative experiences I have had I'm feeling like I'd want to try a decent-sized decant to try it over a period of months.

Through all of the batches I've tried I've never noticed that much difference in the dry down (esp nothing celery related) as its mainly the openings that are different with the infamous batch variations.

I can see why Creed changed the formula in 2013 after all the people started crying about the "Boooo, I smell like an ashtray" effect as the 15s have created some of my favourite batches for the pure pineapple and cedar goodness. The older batches only really had pineapple in the opening before the transition to mid notes, the 15s however keep it going throughout along with elements of musk/cedar/blackcurrant and its superb. Heat (both external and body) can also have an immense impact on this fragrance as can skin chemistry (which may have caused the celery effect on you?).

The other thing is the scent causes olfactory fatigue very quickly if applied near the nose (ie neck) so I usually spray behind the ears and on the chest and I'm good to go for the day (4 sprays from a decant). You should try spraying your sample on someone else and then sniff them throughout the day for a proper representation of the scent.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmolive View Post
    Heat (both external and body) can also have an immense impact on this fragrance as can skin chemistry (which may have caused the celery effect on you?). The other thing is the scent causes olfactory fatigue very quickly if applied near the nose (ie neck) so I usually spray behind the ears and on the chest and I'm good to go for the day (4 sprays from a decant). You should try spraying your sample on someone else and then sniff them throughout the day for a proper representation of the scent.
    Those are some good ideas - thank for the tips. I hadn't thought about trying the Aventus on someone else but I'm sure I can find a guinea-pig I was also thinking of just getting a 10-20ml decant if I can find one locally and then try that over a longer period of time - something in a known batch. It's a scent that I really want to love because when it's good it's really good

Quote Originally Posted by Cheburashka View Post
    Those are some good ideas - thank for the tips. I hadn't thought about trying the Aventus on someone else but I'm sure I can find a guinea-pig I was also thinking of just getting a 10-20ml decant if I can find one locally and then try that over a longer period of time - something in a known batch. It's a scent that I really want to love because when it's good it's really good

Only issue with that is if you love that batch you may not be able to track it down again as the turn over on Aventus is astronomical and stock seems to sell out as quickly as its available. Good news is its coming up to summer and this is when Aventus really shines in the UK as I find the performance much more muted in the colder days.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmolive View Post
    Only issue with that is if you love that batch you may not be able to track it down again as the turn over on Aventus is astronomical and stock seems to sell out as quickly as its available. Good news is its coming up to summer and this is when Aventus really shines in the UK as I find the performance much more muted in the colder days.
    That's true ... maybe when I get a bit of spare cash I will splash out