Code of Conduct

Default And the next Patou Pour Homme is...

Which one vintage fragrance do you feel has mass appeal, restricted distribution, and strong buyer affinity? It may be a scent that is still being sold, like Frederick Malle scents that have more desirable characteristics in the vintage versions(POAL, Musc Ravageur) or ones that have been completely discontinued, which are too numerous to mention, or perhaps older colognes from Chanel and Guerlain. At least one bottle of the fragrance should be available at most times from any one point of distribution, indicating that you can still purchase it.

Default Re: And the next Patou Pour Homme is...

Quote Originally Posted by perfectscents View Post
    Which one vintage fragrance do you feel has mass appeal, restricted distribution, and strong buyer affinity? It may be a scent that is still being sold, like Frederick Malle scents that have more desirable characteristics in the vintage versions(POAL, Musc Ravageur) or ones that have been completely discontinued, which are too numerous to mention, or perhaps older colognes from Chanel and Guerlain. At least one bottle of the fragrance should be available at most times from any one point of distribution, indicating that you can still purchase it.
    Bel Ami --Cocktail Shaker Bottle ....!
    Currently wearing: Dunhill Edition by Dunhill

Wearing Perfume Right Now

Interesting question. Patou Pour Homme is often available if someone is willing to pay. Chanel Bois Noir is similar. Original Portrait of a Lady is an interesting one - I admit to being curious!

5-digit batch code Fahrenheit is pretty much there.

I agree about vintage Bel Ami.

I'm updating to add original Dior Homme Intense - from early 2011 or prior.
    Last edited by Bavard; 16th April 2016 at 06:18 PM.
    Currently wearing: Vol de Nuit by Guerlain

jason_newton

From recent experiences, Platinum Égoïste - it was more difficult to locate than Patou Pour Homme.
    Sport de Paco Rabanne is also a tough one.

Reside in McLean, Va. Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Or Black by Pascal Morabito
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by jason_newton View Post
    From recent experiences, Platinum Égoïste - it was more difficult to locate than Patou Pour Homme.
    Sport de Paco Rabanne is also a tough one.
    If you are talking about vintage PPH, not true! Not even close!

jason_newton

There are really dozens of contenders. I enjoy Patou Pour Homme and I can appreciate its qualities but it doesn't deserve to be held in such high regard. A number of different factors probably decide what becomes the holy grail for collectors. I have mentioned this on occasions over the years but people may be searching for vintage fragrances for reasons totally unconnected to the scent itself.

Kouros Fraicheur

jason_newton

Quote Originally Posted by stuigi View Post
    If you are talking about vintage PPH, not true! Not even close!
    Look on eBay. The prices for vintage bottles (unsealed, no boxes) are not good.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by perfectscents View Post
    Kouros Fraicheur
    That would be a contender but for many it's too close to vintage Kouros. Maybe the 1980s sport edition? Actually, even that would not be a good fit.

There are just simply too many factors that combine to create demand for one thing in particular.
    Last edited by jason_newton; 16th April 2016 at 06:55 PM.

Always be smelling

Vintage Derby.

Montana Parfum d' Homme

Vtg Derby / vtg Bel Ami are the 2 closest ones, that deserve such a status...

don't deceive with belief

I would say some of the vintage Guerlains (Derby) and vintage Chanels, and also perhaps Bel Ami.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by badarun View Post
    Vtg Derby / vtg Bel Ami are the 2 closest ones, that deserve such a status...
    What about vintage Royal Pineapple? I thought you would vote for that.
    Currently wearing: Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Well, let's assume PPH is the scent everyone enjoys most, and is willing to pay several hundred dollars to own. Now the question is, what scent is the next in line, in terms of the actual smell (not prices, availability, "cult status," or anything else)? Right now I might just say vintage Salvador Dali Pour Homme! Note that I haven't tried the most recent formulation.

Vintage Bois des Iles is very expensive whenever it pops up.
    “The unnatural and the strange have a perfume of their own.”
    - Fernando Pessoa

Check out my swap thread.
    Currently wearing: Lalique White by Lalique

Tending to second vintage Guerlains and adding, perhaps among others, Habit Rouge EDP, Heritage EDP, Mouchoir de Monsieur to the list- while not fully discontinued, their limited availability makes purchasing them readily almost as complicated and thus likelier to become more coveted, especially for the fans of Guerlain and/or the notes rendered in these fragrances

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    What about vintage Royal Pineapple? I thought you would vote for that.
    I would kill to get such a bottle - but it's available only for nobility; they sample u'r blood to make sure there's trace remains of Royal Pineapple embedded in your plasma (it all comes down to their "hand-made" technique & hand sourced royal materials from the far corners of the earth of the past - this alone makes their royal creation skin penetrating & hence the different skin chemistry / batch variations etc - there's no variations when they create & bottle, but once it embeds to your skin, the change starts) - alas, I tried & failed - me just a mere non-noble mortal...

don't deceive with belief

Quote Originally Posted by badarun View Post
    I would kill to get such a bottle - but it's available only for nobility; they sample u'r blood to make sure there's trace remains of Royal Pineapple embedded in your plasma (it all comes down to their "hand-made" technique & hand sourced royal materials from the far corners of the earth of the past - this alone makes their royal creation skin penetrating & hence the different skin chemistry / batch variations etc - there's no variations when they create & bottle, but once it embeds to your skin, the change starts) - alas, I tried & failed - me just a mere non-noble mortal...

Made my afternoon yesterday!

Currently wearing: Green Irish Tweed by Creed