Code of Conduct

Default not using shampoo makes my hair appear better, but...

I'm curious though how do I get rid of the dandruff buildup? What kind of comb do I use? Do I use a brush instead?

Default Re: not using shampoo makes my hair appear better, but...

I have no idea how to help you, because my dandruff (dry skin flakes from your scalp) seems to have disappeared since cutting down the shampoo sessions.

Thing is, shampoo is rather harsh and drying on the scalp and could therefore amplify the dandruff. By cutting down you give the natural oils more chance and you should see improvement rather than things getting worse. This was the case for me. Sorry.

Reside in McLean, Va. Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Shampooing too much can definitely dry your scalp and hasten flaking.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

I have a lot of dandruff and doing a shampoo almost daily is a necessity to avoid dandruff. Combing and scraping doesn't do much for me, plus it would take much longer than a shampoo after the gym.

I wonder if it's just a matter of using the wrong shampoo for your hair, or not using conditioners and oils. You probably don't need dandruff shampoos if you wash daily. So you can experiment with shampoos designed for different types of hair, there are now hundreds of variations. Among the brands supposed to be top in the field, Philip Kingsley and Kerastase ($$$ sadly). Similarly with conditioners. I don't use a conditioner but use an oil on wet hair (Bumble and bumble, Nexxus, and others).

cacio

I think it's because I take vitamins that are known to help the hair grow, like biotin? Also, I do take a teaspoon of raw gelatin which is known to help the collagen and increase hair volume, etc. I think it's because of this because I don't have dandruff 2 days without shampooing it's any day after that that I noticed more dandruff forming. I tend to have my hair really short, not even longer than an inch but it's thick.

I thought I had dandruff for a couple of years, and anti-dandruff shampoo made things worse.

I saw a Doctor. He said I didn't have dandruff but slight psoriasis. He gave me a cream to rub in, and I've never had "dandruff" since.
    Regards,
    Renato

Always be smelling

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    I thought I had dandruff for a couple of years, and anti-dandruff shampoo made things worse.

I saw a Doctor. He said I didn't have dandruff but slight psoriasis. He gave me a cream to rub in, and I've never had "dandruff" since.
    Regards,
    Renato
    What cream? Steroids?
    Beauty needs no morality or righteousness.
    It, like nature, does not give a shit.
    Currently wearing: Epic Man by Amouage

Quote Originally Posted by epapsiou View Post
    What cream? Steroids?
    A cream called Betnovate.
    Down here it can be bought over the counter at half strength.
    Full strength stuff required a prescription (which is what I used).

I know that some people have far more serious Psoriasis than the tiny (but annoying) one I had at the time.
    Regards,
    Renato

Always be smelling

I know that some people have far more serious Psoriasis than the tiny (but annoying) one I had at the time.
    Regards,
    Renato
    Thanks. It is a topical steroid as I had guessed. Steroids work but they are symptomatic treatment. I was hoping you had some thing that cures ( or controls) the condition and not just symptoms.
    Beauty needs no morality or righteousness.
    It, like nature, does not give a shit.
    Currently wearing: Epic Man by Amouage

Quote Originally Posted by epapsiou View Post
    Thanks. It is a topical steroid as I had guessed. Steroids work but they are symptomatic treatment. I was hoping you had some thing that cures ( or controls) the condition and not just symptoms.
    It cured me. I haven't bought a tube of Betnovate for decades.

Even if it doesn't cure others with the same condition, from my experience it was infinitely better than incorrectly using anti-dandruff shampoo.
    Regards,
    Renato

It cured me. I haven't bought a tube of Betnovate for decades.

Even if it doesn't cure others with the same condition, from my experience it was infinitely better than incorrectly using anti-dandruff shampoo.
    Regards,
    Renato
    I have no experience with Betnovate (and I am glad it worked it's wonder), but anti-dandruff shampoo has become A LOT better in recent years. It used to be a drying substance you had to use every day, because it took care of the flakes but dried your scalp like a *****. Today's products (especially all-natural) are WAY better and actually help prevent the drying of the scalp.

Is it sold at the shampoo isle? So the full strength requires prescription? Any idea what's the name of the steroid in it? I have never seen it on any isle (soap, shampoo, medicated soap and shampoo), so it must be on another isle?

My go to shampoos are: Head & Shoulders and Selsun Blue. The latter has selenium sulfide. The other has zinc pirithione. Both ingredients are anti dandruff. I only get dandruff when I don't shampoo within a few days.I have tried those prescription shampoo as well called Nizoral (both over the counter grade and prescription grade). Could my issue then be psoriasis?

Below is the info. on psoriasis:

Psoriasis is thought to be an immune system problem. Triggers include infections, stress, and cold.
    The most common symptom is a rash on the skin, but sometimes the rash involves the nails or joints.
    Treatment aims to remove scales and stop skin cells from growing so quickly. Topical ointments, light therapy, and medications can offer relief.

I do not have the "common symptoms" but I think my skin cells are growing so quickly, due to the supplements and or gelatin I mentioned I supplement with.

Regards,
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by snifsnif View Post
    Is it sold at the shampoo isle? So the full strength requires prescription? Any idea what's the name of the steroid in it? I have never seen it on any isle (soap, shampoo, medicated soap and shampoo), so it must be on another isle?

My go to shampoos are: Head & Shoulders and Selsun Blue. The latter has selenium sulfide. The other has zinc pirithione. Both ingredients are anti dandruff. I only get dandruff when I don't shampoo within a few days.I have tried those prescription shampoo as well called Nizoral (both over the counter grade and prescription grade). Could my issue then be psoriasis?

Below is the info. on psoriasis:

Psoriasis is thought to be an immune system problem. Triggers include infections, stress, and cold.
    The most common symptom is a rash on the skin, but sometimes the rash involves the nails or joints.
    Treatment aims to remove scales and stop skin cells from growing so quickly. Topical ointments, light therapy, and medications can offer relief.

I do not have the "common symptoms" but I think my skin cells are growing so quickly, due to the supplements and or gelatin I mentioned I supplement with.
    You need to see your Doctor as i did, rather than speculate

I saw him on a Friday when I explained the persistant dandruff problem and he observed all my "dandruff". He said to me not to wash my hair during the weekend and to go see him on the Monday. Whereupon on the Monday he had a look at my scalp and said "You don't have dandruff at all, you have Psoriasis!"
    And I said "What's that?".

So it may be that you actually do have dandruff, or it may be something else. At least you will know or be on the path to knowing what it is, and you can focus on using the right medication to cure or control better something which was driving me nuts at the time, and is likely annoying the hell out of you too.

I shudder to think how much money I spent on anti-dandruff shampoos which either didn't work, or which made things worse. Though Schwarzkopf anti-dandruff actually seemed to make things a bit better at the time.
    Regards,
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 6th May 2016 at 03:26 PM.

I do have short hair, like a #3. It's almost like a military cut. I have shaved my head before. I see no dried up scaly skin to indicate psoriasis. It's when my hair grow a bit fast like within a month and when I don't shampoo, I notice the white flakes on my hair.
    I don't ever pay full price for a gift card, some of your favorite stores have gift cards selling for over 10% off. Buy them from Giftcard Granny:

https://www.giftcardgranny.com/secur...EE1m1EQQU3HMMR

Quote Originally Posted by snifsnif View Post
    I do have short hair, like a #3. It's almost like a military cut. I have shaved my head before. I see no dried up scaly skin to indicate psoriasis. It's when my hair grow a bit fast like within a month and when I don't shampoo, I notice the white flakes on my hair.
    Perhaps it's worth trying to moisturise your scalp a bit more.
    I'm no expert on all the shampoos available, but i have noticed that some liquid/gel face wash soaps do a decent job of moisturising skin. I used to use the Johnson & Johnson soap bar to wash my face prior to electric shaving. After my skin had dried, electric shaving was a brreze on my dry skin. But then those bars became unavailable, and I bought the Johnson& Johnson liquid face wash and tried electric shaving after using it and letting my skin dry. it was a nightmare, as my skin remained too moist.

I can't say I've come across shampoos as moisturising as that face wash (though they may exist). if all else fails, perhaps shampoo with whatever you are using, and then give your scalp a final wash and rinse with that moisturising liquid face wash. It may delay flaking.
    Cheers,
    Renato

Basenotes Junkie

I have never suffered from dandruff or any of the scalp conditions mentioned in this thread. BUT i do know that although counterintuitive, dandruff is almost never due to an overly dry scalp i.e., you are likely only exacerbating the problem by not shampooing regularly. As already mentioned, best to see a physician who can determine the actual cause since it could be due to another look-alike condition or possibly a yeast overgrowth.

I happen to use Nizoral brand dandruff shampoo 2 or 3 times per week - only because it reduces DHT on the scalp, which is the root cause of male pattern baldness. If you don't see a physician, you may want to give this shampoo a shot, since it would address a yeast overgrowth or fungal infection, as a possible cause. In the US, it's available over the counter as well as a stronger prescription 2% strength. The active ingredient is ketoconazole so, depending on your home country, there may be other brands with this same active. Best of luck!!
    Last edited by Nouveau Nez; 7th May 2016 at 06:10 PM.

Usually a dandruff shampoo will take care of the dandruff problem, a Zinc pyrithione shampoo or a Ketoconazole shampoo deals with the issue fairly well and these shampoos can be used when the dandruff problem gets worrisome as dandruff will increase in winter time or if you are constantly exposing urself to hold/cold temperatures.

You should shampoo your hair once a week. If your hair gets oily, it means you are not using a good enough shampoo.

Zinc sulphide shampoo. No better way.

I must say i hate the fact when you don't wash your hair for one day.. it looks better the next day 100%.. after washing it ... it's soft..
    Currently in my collection:
    Creed: Aventus, OS, OV, HM, MI, VIW, GIT.
    Mancera: Kumkat Wood and Cedrat Boise
    Designers: YSL Kouros, Givenchy Xeryus and Acqua di gio profumo.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert.Brown View Post
    You should shampoo your hair once a week. If your hair gets oily, it means you are not using a good enough shampoo.
    Damn, I have short hair, 1 inch all around and I washed and reconditioned every other day, never had any dandruff issues, but if I miss washing it for one extra day it will feel itchy, I can't even think what would it be not washing it for a whole week!

I've been washing my hair daily all my life. I've noticed that recently my hair is super dry and wiry. For healthy hair how many times should you wash it? 'Cause I noticed that when I skip a day washing it, the following day it's not so dry. However, won't it smell if you don't wash it? How about trying to manage it in the morning? Do you at least wet it to get it back into shape?

Reside in McLean, Va. Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh V. View Post
    For healthy hair how many times should you wash it?
    I wash it everyday but only three times a week with shampoo not to dry it out.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Hugh

not a big expert on products, but there are some products one can use after shampoo that make hair look less dry. I hope somebody else can chime in. I've used at times various oils (like ogx, nexxus), but there is probably something better.

Women with long hair use dry shampoo on their roots between washings, but I don't think the technique works with shorter hair.

cacio

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to look into both methods.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I wash it everyday but only three times a week with shampoo not to dry it out.
    This. Also it's important to try different shampoos. I tried to use a shampoo and conditioner that my girlfriend didn't like (Alberto Balsam, I think it was) and whilst the hair was quite nice after the first wash (the conditioner, I guess) it completely changed my hair after a few and it became frizzy and a pain to comb through it. Chucked it all out in the end and returned to the old shampoo, a few washes later and everything was fine again.

I've never had dandruff, but did notice that traditional shampoos were drying my hair out. As a result, I switched products and now use Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle shampoo. What prompted the move was the fact that it doesn't contain the sulfates (Lauryl and Laureth) that are known to dry out people's hair and scalps. You could try washing with this shampoo 1-2x/week to see if it works for you.

It's very reasonably priced and my hair no longer feels dried out. If you don't have a Trader Joe's near you, you can order it from Amazon (but it is more expensive than if you bought it from the store directly).
    I have found the paradox, that if you love until it hurts, there can be no more hurt, only more love.

Mother Teresa
    Currently wearing: Gris Clair by Serge Lutens

What many consider dandruff is not dandruff but most likely dry, flaking, and or irritated scalp from the wrong product or the terrible toos (too long, too much or too often). I will pass along some advice to the OP and anyone else who is interested Stop buying hair care products at the drug store or super market and forget about the high priced designer brands like Paul Mitchell and the rest at the salon. They are not different. Go to a health food store and look for brands like Aubrey Organics, Jason Naturals, Natures Gate, Mill Creek, and Avalon Organics. I have used them all at one time or another until my hair and scalp doesn't respond well and currently have been using Avalon Organics Biotin Shampoo and Mill Creek Biotin Conditioner for a couple years with good results. If you choose to skip shampooing you still need to brush your hair to loosen dead skin, dirt and debris and when you are in the shower you need to rinse and massage the scalp as if you were still using shampoo. If you don't you will end up with a build up on your scalp. Ditch the garbage with the laurel/laureth sulfates.