Code of Conduct

Default Notes in Lacoste Eau de Sport - Jean Kerleo / Jean Patou version

All - I'm lucky to own a bottle of this wonderful cologne.

I'm a bit lost or rather mesmerized with a particular note (or combo of notes) & can't find any breakdown of notes anywhere - again this is for the Eau de Sport created by Jean Kerleo for Jean Patou / Lacoste. The note or notes have this uplifting feel - a bit spicy without being screechy or rough, woodsy & a really minute sweetness too - i read somewhere this cologne has ginseng in it - is this the note causing this feel? Even for a basenoter, i was astonished at the # of times I wanted to smell the sprayed area couple of nights ago Sadly - it's a very weak cologne, even weaker than l'Humaniste...

Currently wearing: Cedrat Boise by Mancera

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: Notes in Lacoste Eau de Sport - Jean Kerleo / Jean Patou version

Quote Originally Posted by badarun View Post

I'm a bit lost or rather mesmerized with a particular note (or combo of notes) & can't find any breakdown of notes anywhere - again this is for the Eau de Sport created by Jean Kerleo for Jean Patou / Lacoste.
    I found this note breakdown for the 1968 release (Jean Patou) by Jean Kerléo:

Top Notes Basil, Bergamot, Coriander, Lavender, Petitgrain, Rosemary, Lemon
    Heart Notes Fern, Geranium, Heliotrope, Clary sage, Carnation, Patchouli, Vetiver, Cedarwood, Cinnamon
    Base Notes Ambergris, Moss, Musk, Tonka bean, Vanilla
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Thanks Hednic...

I wish they had amped up the moss & other basenotes to make it last past an hr or 2 - but it would have resulted in an entirely diff cologne

The mild sweetness can be attributed to cinnamon / cedar / patchouli combo - but i still am sure the spice note i mentioned isn't basil / coriander / rosemary (or for that matter carnation / clary sage) - my nose is quite acclimatized with these notes...

Yes, its a very weak cologne (released in 1968), but very elegant -- almost the antithesis of a sport cologne. I had a bottle like this, a spray tester, that I eventually sold on eBay.
    Last edited by sniffman; 8th August 2016 at 06:24 PM.
    thread reviver

Always be smelling

Quote Originally Posted by badarun View Post
    All - I'm lucky to own a bottle of this wonderful cologne.

I'm a bit lost or rather mesmerized with a particular note (or combo of notes) & can't find any breakdown of notes anywhere - again this is for the Eau de Sport created by Jean Kerleo for Jean Patou / Lacoste. The note or notes have this uplifting feel - a bit spicy without being screechy or rough, woodsy & a really minute sweetness too - i read somewhere this cologne has ginseng in it - is this the note causing this feel? Even for a basenoter, i was astonished at the # of times I wanted to smell the sprayed area couple of nights ago Sadly - it's a very weak cologne, even weaker than l'Humaniste...

I think the confusion is cause there are 2 Eau de Sport.
    The 1994 Vivifante one HAS Ginseng in it.
    And it lasts a lot longer. You should get that if you like this.

Last edited by epapsiou; 23rd March 2018 at 12:50 PM.
    Beauty needs no morality or righteousness.
    It, like nature, does not give a shit
    Currently wearing: Aubépine-Acacia by Creed

Yes, the above's been on my radar... Need to get it before fleabay runs out of it.

Basenotes Institution

I would love to smell either one of these. I still remember the BN member scentemental waxing lyrical about this scent many times. I think he even sold some of his bottles at a later time when he sold his collection (I bought my vintage bottle of Patou Pour Homme from him). Here's some of his posts, copied below:

Quote Originally Posted by scentemental View Post

Yes,

I have two bottles of it that I've been nursing and preserving since the 1980's. It's one of the most original fragrances I've ever owned. It's a citrus fragrance based predominantly on a clean, soft and elegant and heart achingly beautiful petitgrain note accord. Terrible, appaling longevity, however, and all my subsequent purchases of this particular fragrance boxed or unboxed have not proven successful. It has a tendency to deteriorate very easily I suspect because it is certainly made of up very simple and mostly natural citrus elements.

The database has it incorrectly listed it as a Lacoste fragrance. Lacoste actually commissioned Jean Patou to make it and eventually Jean Patou bought the Lacoste fragrance rights, though they have, I believe, since then reliquished the Lacoste brand.

You are correct in noting, as the ad correctly does, that it's Jean Patou Lacoste Eau de Sport. It was made in 1968 as the sports version of Jean Patou Lacoste EDT, which was created in 1967 by Jean Kerleo when he then took over as the chief nose of Jean Patou. Eau de Sport is also a Kerleo creation, as, of course, are Eau de Patou, Patou Pour Homme and Patou Pour Homme Prive. Jean Patou Lacoste Eau de Toilette bears a striking resemblence to Creed's Acier Aluminium, or, rather, I should say Creed's Acier Aluminium bears a striking resemblence to Jean Patou Lacoste EDT since it come out four years latter.

I also have the EDT version and that one is a safer buy if you can find it. I would NOT trust the bottle being offered on ebay, especially as it appears to be without a box.

scentemental

Quote Originally Posted by scentemental View Post

The Jean Patou Lacoste Eau de Toilette is an entirely different fragrance to the Eau de Sport. The petitgrain accord only applies to the Eau de Sport version. I thought that would be clear from my characterization and my making the comparison with Acier Aluminium and the Lacoste EDT, which as you rightly note zztopp has nothing to do with petitgrain.

scentemental
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle
    Currently wearing: L'Arbre by Iunx

^^^ Mike - I did read this thread before I started and yes, scentemental is from that bygone era of a symphony of lyrical expressions, have enjoyed many good reads from his and others like him over the years (& still do)...

Quote Originally Posted by epapsiou View Post
    I think the confusion is cause there are 2 Eau de Sport.
    The 1994 Vivifante one HAS Ginseng in it.
    And it lasts a lot longer. You should get that if you like this.

The 1994 version is an entirely different animal. It was no longer a Jean Patou cologne, therefore not associated with Jean Kerleo.
    thread reviver