Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
o

Default Givenchy Gentleman current release

I'm pulling the trigger on this one at a fair price - any issues or reviews of this current formulation/ other evaluations before I do? One of my current favs is Giorgio for Men, as an fyi.

Default Re: Givenchy Gentleman current release

Enjoy it for what it is, a great scent. I think the current formulation of Givenchy Gentleman shares more in common with Giorgio For Men than the vintage versions.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by petromalt View Post
    Enjoy it for what it is, a great scent.
    My feelings also.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Banned

I think it's a good scent as far as it goes but nowhere near the original.
    One that lost it's magic for me.

May be totally untrained in terms of detecting slight or even more obvious differences, but having smelled both the vintage and the current GG, still liking it as is and sensing little to no difference between the two. Each to their own, but still willing to recommend this one, albeit while also recommending some more or less testing of its current version.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    May be totally untrained in terms of detecting slight or even more obvious differences, but having smelled both the vintage and the current GG, still liking it as is and sensing little to no difference between the two. Each to their own, but still willing to recommend this one, albeit while also recommending some more or less testing of its current version.
    Cool. I have no experience with the vintage release, so I have nothing to compare it to. I'll strictly be judging it on its own merit (in the class of, what?, woody chypre).

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

This is one of those cases where looking for a vintage bottle is highly recommended.

Big difference.

Unless the latest bottles happen to be an improvement on the 2012/13 bottles.
    Currently wearing: L'Homme Sage by Divine

I just bought the vintage a few days ago and it wasn't horribly priced.

I don't know how I missed reading about this gem over the years, but somehow I did. I only recently sampled the vintage and had to get a bottle.

I doubt that I will ever be that fond of the opening of GG, but oh my.....the dry down is wonderful.

"Gentleman" is exactly what it smells like. A perfect name for it.
    Last edited by RedRaider430; 15th May 2016 at 06:20 AM.
    Basenotes sales: TDC de Bachmakov, Atelier Vetiver Fatal, Tiffany for Men mini, 17 Cuba Paris frags, L'Essence de Cerruti, Reyane Insurrection, numerous popular SAMPLES! http://www.basenotes.net/threads/472...ples-amp-More!

Crystal Flacon sales: Prelude to Love, Noir de Noir, SAMPLES! http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    This is one of those cases where looking for a vintage bottle is highly recommended.

Big difference.

I do not think so otherwise they suddenly must have added civet to it

Quite a difference between vintage and current and I am not even talking about the recent black cap version.
    My Top '11' of main current rotation in no particular order:

- Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Antaeus (vtg)
    - Azzaro: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Armani: AdG Profumo
    - Alain Delon: Iquitos
    - Guerlain: Héritage (vtg)
    - Thierry Mugler: A*men
    - SA: Al Basel
    - D&G: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Mancera: Red Tobacco
    - Mancera: Aoud Vanille

Quote Originally Posted by Slayerized View Post
    I do not think so otherwise they suddenly must have added civet to it

Quite a difference between vintage and current and I am not even talking about the recent black cap version.
    Thanks.

Am a little puzzled as to the number of incarnations - are there three? An original, a rerelease, and the new? I've heard of black cap and silver cap too.

Quote Originally Posted by Smokin Dave View Post
    Thanks.

Am a little puzzled as to the number of incarnations - are there three? An original, a rerelease, and the new? I've heard of black cap and silver cap too.
    Last two are the (almost) squared bottles with either silver or black cap. Black cap being current.
    Before that going back to 1974 there were also different formulations, bottle shapes and sizes. The older the better and with civet added.
    I, myself have two splash 30ml bottles, one edt, one aftershave. Both completely different compared to last two incarnations and mine are not even original vintage I believe but 80's bottles!.
    My Top '11' of main current rotation in no particular order:

- Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Antaeus (vtg)
    - Azzaro: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Armani: AdG Profumo
    - Alain Delon: Iquitos
    - Guerlain: Héritage (vtg)
    - Thierry Mugler: A*men
    - SA: Al Basel
    - D&G: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Mancera: Red Tobacco
    - Mancera: Aoud Vanille

Basenotes Plus

Luca Turin: "Once great, it is now a sad little woody leather."
    Currently wearing: L'Envol by Cartier

Blog Entries

There is GREAT buzz around Gentlemen Only Chic.
    [
    "Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."
    Currently wearing: Vetiver Geranium by Creed

Basenotes Junkie

Man... When it comes to Givenchy Gentleman, I'll take the formulation that smells less dated to me; and I'm a lover of old school scents!

I would go with Bond no 9 HOT Always as a better modern substitute.
    I can provide decants of anything I post about!

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by odioustoilet View Post
    There is GREAT buzz around Gentlemen Only Chic.
    Recently purchased this and looking forward to giving it a full-day use.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by DerangedGoose View Post
    I would go with Bond no 9 HOT Always as a better modern substitute.
    I would go with the one that just smells better, is a classic, and could care less about how "modern" (contemporary.. emphasis on the temporary) it fits into today's drudgery.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk
    Most worn:

Black Comme des Garçons, Borneo 1834 Serge Lutens, Patchouli Santa Maria Novella

Thanks.

Hi Smokin' Dave

These are the early ones - very smooth, quite a bit of civet, LOTS of patchouli and turn quite powdery in the drydown. The silver 'wraparound' label is the giveaway:

This is the later 'Silver Cap' version - more leathery, less civet but very nicely blended, smooth and more restrained than the earlier version but still a fantastic scent:

And here is the latest 'black cap' version:

I've not sampled this version but I would say, to be safe, try and get the later 'silver cap' version or earlier. They're not impossible to get hold of online.

Hope this helps...!

Derbyman - thanks! But crap, I *think* I got the black cap. Should be here in a few days I hope and I'll then see. Would've liked to have that silver cap, though. I wonder just how great the differences are because I assume they're both reforms following specific regulations, the last one maybe more than the silver.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarce View Post
    Luca Turin: "Once great, it is now a sad little woody leather."
    But not as sad as most others at this pricepoint down the mall

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    But not as sad as most others at this pricepoint down the mall
    Debatable.

I dunno. Color me a newbie, but I received the black cap new version and think it's wonderful. It has a nice, calming scent that kind of waffles somewhere between Heritage and Azzaro PH to me. Again, I will admit to having not the keenest nose - and I've never smelt the original - but this one's a keeper for me. And the longevity? Still smell it this morning after applying ~3 PM yesterday (two sprays). My 2 cents....

Basenotes Junkie

I dunno. Color me a newbie, but I received the black cap new version and think it's wonderful. It has a nice, calming scent that kind of waffles somewhere between Heritage and Azzaro PH to me. Again, I will admit to having not the keenest nose - and I've never smelt the original - but this one's a keeper for me. And the longevity? Still smell it this morning after applying ~3 PM yesterday (two sprays). My 2 cents....
    The most important thing is that you love what you got, so no reason to get crazy about a version you don't even know.

Would you mind of making a comparison between this and Giorgio for Men?

Quote Originally Posted by Derbyman View Post
    Hi Smokin' Dave

These are the early ones - very smooth, quite a bit of civet, LOTS of patchouli and turn quite powdery in the drydown. The silver 'wraparound' label is the giveaway:

This is the later 'Silver Cap' version - more leathery, less civet but very nicely blended, smooth and more restrained than the earlier version but still a fantastic scent:

And here is the latest 'black cap' version:

I've not sampled this version but I would say, to be safe, try and get the later 'silver cap' version or earlier. They're not impossible to get hold of online.

Hope this helps...!
    If one plays the (admittedly, very tricky) game of following recent reviews, and dig up old BN threads, it would appear to be that:
    - Silver cap/squared bottle reform was pretty decent (civet gone, longevity shortened but still good, basic character similar)
    - Black cap introduced around 2014-15 ish? "cinnamon bomb' phase
    - Most recent black cap is different (black edges on box instead of silver, with 'original Eau de Toilette, 1974' or something on the box (Which is yours, Smokin Dave?)...Widely praised as having a closer 'vintage' feel (this from BigSly no less). Anyway, take any & all reviews with a grain of salt, but if that's the version you got, it may explain your response... I think Givenchy has been under new creative direction for awhile now, and the inclusion of the 'original 1974' designation is readable as an attempt to distinguish this product from the controversial choice of re-using the name for a different product a few years back. It's nice to think that Givenchy might be listening to people who care about perfume...

Quote Originally Posted by J_Luna View Post
    I think Givenchy has been under new creative direction for awhile now, and the inclusion of the 'original 1974' designation is readable as an attempt to distinguish this product from the controversial choice of re-using the name for a different product a few years back. It's nice to think that Givenchy might be listening to people who care about perfume...
    Interesting, thank you for mentioning this. In case that it is so, that attention was devoted to the reasonable complaints and not the unsightly complacent ones, I would indeed appreciate it.
    Last edited by xaml; 15th February 2020 at 04:39 AM.

I’ve never smelled the vintage, but I have the new release and I think it’s a wonderful scent for summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    A Greater Monster, The Kickstarter Letters & Death by Zamboni
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

> Gold Medal for "Outstanding Book of the Year" in Independent Publisher Book Awards
    > National Indie Excellence Book Award finalist
    > A Greater Monster named a "Top 10 Book of 2012" by Common Ills blog
    > Listed in "10 Hot Chicago Reads for Chilly Nights" on Refinery29.com

I owned and wore the vintage in the mid-80's. I don't think greater scent has ever been made for men.

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post

They are. I'm refering to the latest reformulation with "Eau De Toilette Originale" written on the box.

Freed from BN Institution

Personally I didn't care for it at all but the original release is wonderful specifically the first two versions.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2020 HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/471...d-Fridays-2020

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Blog Entries

I dont know if the current “Originale” smells like vintage, but it sure is a straightforward patchouli scent. Nice enough
    Follow me on Instagram @scentcurator