Code of Conduct

Thread: Visiting London

o

Default Visiting London

Hello!

I'm going for a trip to London this summer and I'm just wondering which stores are worth visiting?

The stores I have in my mind right now is Harrods, Selfridges and maybe Fortum & Mason.
    I'm mostly interested in niche like Roja Dove, Amouage, Bond No 9, MDCI, Puredistance, Dior Privé, Chanel Les Exclusifs, Clive Christian, Tom Ford etc.
    Also high-end designers.

Can you recommend more stores to visit while in London and which ones is the best for buying the fragrances, someone that is cheaper than others/have better customer service etc? I wanna know everything.
    It's my first time visiting and where I live we have like 0 niche fragrances in the stores so I wanna try as much as I can while I'm there.

Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Visiting London

Fortnum & Mason carry most of what you want (especially the Puredistance range - Harrods only have 'White'). Roja Dove, MDCI, Amouage and CC can also be found here.

Bond # 9, the Chanel and Dior exclusive lines, and Tom Ford can be found at Selfridges and Harrods (best for Bond)

Happy Hunting!

Quote Originally Posted by Zycore View Post
    I'm going for a trip to London this summer and I'm just wondering which stores are worth visiting?
    In a nutshell, you won't find anything 'cheap' in any of the London stores - Harrods, Selfridges and Fortnum are all sometimes at Recommended Retail Price (RRP) or above even. Harrods have their summer sale coming up (I think) in early July, but it's not half as good as the post-Christmas sale. You are better off ordering online and getting things delivered to your hotel. It's worth visiting the stores to try out some scents, but not so much for buying or getting free samples.

However, Les Senteurs is worth a visit for some niche alone, as is Roullier White (to a lesser extent) and finally Bloom Perfumery.

There is also the new(ish) London store of Creed in Mayfair.

Have a great trip and happy hunting!
    Very clearly a case for corn flakes and classics

In the spirit of going local, I suggest you try also the niche house Ormonde Jayne. I think they have their stores near Piccadilly, I don't know if and in which dept store they are also sold.

cacio

Thanks everyone!

Seems like my schedule is full now... So many places to visit.
    My nose will probably want to take a vacation for a long time after this trip.

Quote Originally Posted by rum View Post
    In a nutshell, you won't find anything 'cheap' in any of the London stores - Harrods, Selfridges and Fortnum are all sometimes at Recommended Retail Price (RRP) or above even. Harrods have their summer sale coming up (I think) in early July, but it's not half as good as the post-Christmas sale. You are better off ordering online and getting things delivered to your hotel. It's worth visiting the stores to try out some scents, but not so much for buying or getting free samples.

However, Les Senteurs is worth a visit for some niche alone, as is Roullier White (to a lesser extent) and finally Bloom Perfumery.

There is also the new(ish) London store of Creed in Mayfair.
    Big +1 to this, it's a excellent summary. Les Senteurs and Bloom carry different lines, so if you're looking for something specific this could be a way to decide which to visit if time is an issue.

I'll add that Harrods had the full Puredistance line when I visited last, but they're in the Roja Dove gallery on the 6th floor, which is worth a visit. Pricing was at or over over retail.

Enjoy!

Thank you. Will definitely visit Roja's store!

One more thing: Is there anything interesting in Gatwick airport? May be a little bit better prices there compared to the stores in London.
    I know that they have Chanel Exclusifs (last time I read on the internet), but anything else on the niche side or is it just designers?

The Roja above gallery isn't signposted, and is only accessible via one elevator. Easiest way to find it is to ask one of the staff. Because it's hard to find, most people go to the main perfume area on the first floor, which is usually insanely busy. The Roja Dove gallery (which has a number of small niche boutiques occupying the same space, like Killian and Xerjoff) is like an oasis by comparison. I'm pretty sure the intrigue is to keep it that way!

Gatwick has a reasonable array of perfumes, though it's not always well organized. I didn't make it as far as the Exclusifs last visit through but they had a couple of Tom Ford Private Blends (Oud Wood, Neroli Portofino and Mandarino di Amalfi), plus a couple of limited editions from brands that can be harder to find unless you go direct, like the city exclusives for Molton Brown and most of the line up from Hermes, including the newer Rhubarb one and they've just gotten the classics back like Bel Ami and Equipage (which they didn't have for a while). All the usual designers are represented.

Prices aren't really much better than retail, from what I saw, and significantly more than online discounters, but it's always good to be able to test a few things. Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by Zycore View Post
    One more thing: Is there anything interesting in Gatwick airport? May be a little bit better prices there compared to the stores in London.
    I know that they have Chanel Exclusifs (last time I read on the internet), but anything else on the niche side or is it just designers?
    I haven't been through Gatwick for a while; my experience is mainly Heathrow and I know for a fact that their range and prices is pretty good.

Last time I went through Gatwick it was a disappointment with most prices being more expensive than the High Street. That was a few years ago now...

Banned

Glad I found this thread! I am planning a trip to London in new year, after holidays (including Valentine’s Day—perversely expensive(!?)—so probably late Feb/early March. I plan to visit 4160, Papillon, Ormonde Jayne, and maybe Roja if time and money permit so, and I also plan to go to Les Senteurs. Also considering a day or two in Paris, since Eurostar makes it easy, and because Guerlain, which is my most favorite house ever; it will be like pilgrimage, and I will probably enter on my knees and hands. Montale, too. Plus all the other good things in France! I know perfume is the basically same no matter where you smell it but it will be fun to see places and meet people. All my food money will probably become perfume money, so I will have s diet too

I expect cold and very wet weather since it will be Spring. Is this correct? And is there any where else that is do not miss? I love apothecaries in London and Paris, I always find good things there. Any big markets like Spitalfields good for hunting secondhand or vintage perfumes? I welcome your suggestions and thank you for your help. Thank you everyone.
    Currently wearing: Diorella by Christian Dior