Code of Conduct
Just Starting Out Sponsor

Question FRAGRANCENET Old YSL La Nuit (2011 Batch), Should I Return?

Hi Guys,

New here but learning a lot about fragrances. I bought YSL La Nuit because I love it so much, but Fragrancenet.com sent me a batch from 2011. It smells fine but a little different from the sample I got at sephora. Should I return and get a newer batch? If I keep it will my cologne rancid next year or something?

Thanks!

I own:
    YSL: Libre, La Nuit
    Aventus

Samples: Everything

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: FRAGRANCENET Old YSL La Nuit (2011 Batch), Should I Return?

Welcome to you MrJustice! Can never be sure what you will be sent by online discount retailers. Bottom line, if you are not happy or have doubts, return it, but no guarantee if you order another it will be more recent. My feeling is to keep it and enjoy it.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Thanks Hednic!

That's solid advice! I am more inclined to keep it however I just found out I actually have a chance to run out tomorrow to sephora (I lost my original sample). I will compare it with their version and make a decision. I'll update on here since it could be useful. I know many people order from fragrancenet and get old batches so it could help someone else. Keep you posted.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

A lot of people prefer the older juice on this fragrance. I have a 2009 bottle that's still excellent and extremely enjoyable. No way would I trade it.

I actually prefer to get older bottles from Fragrancenet. Especially when they have discontinued stuff, it's always good. I think they have Tokyo by Kenzo right now. Snap that baby up, if you love guaiac wood. The fragrance has tons of it.

PS - Welcome to Basenotes!
    There is no beauty / That cannot be more abused / To beauty's effect.
    / blog:// https://cologniac.com / raging for the machines
    Currently wearing: Galop d'Hermès by Hermès

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    I think they have Tokyo by Kenzo right now. Snap that baby up, if you love guaiac wood. The fragrance has tons of it.

PS - Welcome to Basenotes!
    I had Tokyo by Kenzo till 2014, when I sold it. I thought it was weak, the base very faint, and I also gave it a neutral rating on Basenotes. Could have been much better.

Now, coming on to the good part.......

The bottle was cool, the box was superb. What an array of lights! The fragrance itself cannot be called uninspired. It does have an urbane, busy feel - like some of the Burberry fragrances. The development in the beginning is quite interesting, with all the spices. Even though it's weak - a possible argument could be that such an approach adheres to Japanese aesthetics, including minimalism. And it does smell unique.

Most importantly, irrespective of its drawbacks, it is memorable.

I have two 2011 and four 2010. 2011 were first reformulations of the original. They are very close to the 2009-2010 and FAR superior to what you smelled at sephora. I would definitely NOT return it. You are very lucky to have gotten a 2011. They are worth more on ebay than the new (2nd reformulated) ones.

2009-2010 Original (darker juice, lasts for ages and projects like crazy)
    2011-2013 1rst Reformulation (still good just a little less projection than original)
    2014+ 2nd Reformulation which lasts half and projects less. Not worth it anymore.
    Last edited by Schnitter; 28th June 2016 at 12:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Schnitter View Post

I have two 2011 and four 2010. 2011 were first reformulations of the original. They are very close to the 2009-2010 and FAR superior to what you smelled at sephora. I would definitely NOT return it. You are very lucky to have gotten a 2011. They are worth more on ebay than the new (2nd reformulated) ones.

2009-2010 Original (darker juice, lasts for ages and projects like crazy)
    2011-2013 1rst Reformulation (still good just a little less projection than original)
    2014+ 2nd Reformulation which lasts half and projects less. Not worth it anymore.
    He is right. The bottles from 2009 and 2010 are best, but I would keep the 2011 batch. The new stuff at department stores and sephora is just crap; not worth it anymore!
    Currently wearing: Cedrat Boise by Mancera

Look at prices for "vintage" La Nuit on eBay. You'll be very happy you just paid Fragrancenet prices.
    “The unnatural and the strange have a perfume of their own.”
    - Fernando Pessoa

Check out my swap thread.
    Currently wearing: Pour Un Homme by Caron

Missing Oakmoss

As hednic says, there's no guarantee that returning it will net you a more recent bottle - regardless of where you buy it. I returned a 2011 Mitsouko to FragranceX last year and decided to bite the bullet and buy it direct from the Guerlain boutique. They sent me...a 2011 bottle! It's all pretty much a gamble.

Hey guys, you are right. The new batch actually smelled sweeter to me from what I remember, this older batch smells a bit deeper and seems like it lasts longer. It's not the Original original, but pretty close to it in contrast to what they have today. Also FragBoy Stewie got back to me and basically confirmed what you've all been saying. Thanks for all the help, this community is awesome.

As a mad scientist on scents and scent attraction I'll try to post my findings, but so far La Nuit has been a love potion. It's playful when it needs to be, and seductive when it calls for it. Dopest fragrance I've used on higher end nights out so far, however I'm going to try CH Men Prive as a counter and see.

Thanks team.

Quote Originally Posted by MrJustice View Post
    ... Dopest fragrance I've used on higher end nights out so far, however I'm going to try CH Men Prive as a counter and see.

Thanks team.
    CH Men Prive has an amazing opening. It really does smell great. The problem is it doesn't last long and the dry down isn't as nice. Instead of CH Men Prive, I managed to find the original CH Men from 2012 that had real leather around it... it is a better fragrance in case you want to gamble again and see if you get a 2012 or earlier.

So how many of you are madly going on fragrancenet, buying La Nuit and hoping for a vintage batch?
    Currently wearing: Original Vetiver by Creed

Banned

Sell it for a profit... then buy L ´homme Sport...much better...

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    I had Tokyo by Kenzo till 2014, when I sold it. I thought it was weak, the base very faint, and I also gave it a neutral rating on Basenotes. Could have been much better.

Now, coming on to the good part.......

The bottle was cool, the box was superb. What an array of lights! The fragrance itself cannot be called uninspired. It does have an urbane, busy feel - like some of the Burberry fragrances. The development in the beginning is quite interesting, with all the spices. Even though it's weak - a possible argument could be that such an approach adheres to Japanese aesthetics, including minimalism. And it does smell unique.

Most importantly, irrespective of its drawbacks, it is memorable.
    Great review!

I also found this fragrance terribly weak, until somehow my nose became very sensitized to the guaiac wood notes. After that, my appreciation of the scent increased, although an unfortunate side-effect was that the base become too strong. Not only did the drydown become monotonous, but I could smell the fragrance on my clothes for days.

I can certainly see how it was discontinued - it just never achieved the popularity of so many other Kenzo fragrances.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by du57in View Post
    Look at prices for "vintage" La Nuit on eBay. You'll be very happy you just paid Fragrancenet prices.
    Totally!

Quote Originally Posted by MrJustice View Post
    Hey guys, you are right. The new batch actually smelled sweeter to me from what I remember, this older batch smells a bit deeper and seems like it lasts longer. It's not the Original original, but pretty close to it in contrast to what they have today. Also FragBoy Stewie got back to me and basically confirmed what you've all been saying. Thanks for all the help, this community is awesome.

As a mad scientist on scents and scent attraction I'll try to post my findings, but so far La Nuit has been a love potion. It's playful when it needs to be, and seductive when it calls for it. Dopest fragrance I've used on higher end nights out so far, however I'm going to try CH Men Prive as a counter and see.

Thanks team.

I got an unending stream of compliments from my wife when this first came out. I still break it out occasionally when I want to please her! Great stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by 1adam12 View Post
    So how many of you are madly going on fragrancenet, buying La Nuit and hoping for a vintage batch?
    Sure thinking about it!!!