Code of Conduct

Thread: Rotation..

Default Rotation..

Hello again :-)
    As everyone has sizeable collections ,I was wondering if people have a rotation policy to get the most out of your collection ?
    What would be the usual number of days you would wear a fragrance before changing ?

Default Re: Rotation..

I don't tend to wear the same fragrance for a set number of days, rather just a certain fragrance for a certain occasion. If I have multiple scents for work, then I tend to match the fragrance with the colour of my suit/mood for the day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not personally, this may also be what makes the rotation (at least) twice as fun:

having a certain liberty to pick whatever one likes to wear, also (personally speaking) few to no rules in choosing this
    Last edited by Ken_Russell; 2nd July 2016 at 02:59 PM.

Reside in McLean, Va. Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

For me totally random.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

All about the mood.

I try to work through my wardrobe but I don't do it adamantly. If I did, it'd take me about 423 days.
    for swap/sale:

I have about 10 out at a time, generally based on season (like most people, I tend to prefer spicier, warmer, thicker scents in cold weather). A few favorites stay out year-round. From that selection, then, it's random/ based on mood or that day's activities.

Last week I was doing committee work in a small conference room, so I wore more discreet fragrances. This week I'm on vacation...so bring on the vintage-style florals!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Combination of mood, experimentation (I like buying house sample sets and trying a whole bunch of them in a row) and context (e.g., no matter how much I want to wear an OOMPHY fragrance like vintage Shalimar or Narcisse Noir, I won't if I have a business meeting).

Wearing Perfume Right Now

I try to keep the bottle count low enough that I can cycle through them in a month, but then my decant collection keeps growing, and I wear those a lot recently, so the rotation has been derailed.
    Currently wearing: Be the Legend by Oriflame

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Not personally, this may also be what makes the rotation (at least) twice as fun:

having a certain liberty to pick whatever one likes to wear, also (personally speaking) few to no rules in choosing this
    Same here. No rules. I wore Bleu de Chanel for months - nothing else. It just happened, and I let it happen. Eventually I just snapped out of it. I love feeling free to wear ANYTHING.
    https://cologniac.com - raging for the machines

The only rotation that I subscribe to is/are seasonal rotations. There are some frags that I wouldn't wear in the summer (i.e. Fahrenheit Absolute) and some I wouldn't wear in the winter (Eau du Sud). I like heavier fragrances in the colder months and lighter ones in warmer months.
    I have found the paradox, that if you love until it hurts, there can be no more hurt, only more love.

Mother Teresa
    Currently wearing: Gris Clair by Serge Lutens

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    For me totally random.
    Same with me as well!
    Currently wearing: Eau des Sens by Diptyque

I guess it's about 20 different wearings in a months, sometimes more, sometimes less. Most of the time I wear my workhorses such as Azzaro p. H., Kouros, Jovan Sex Appeal, Molinard Patchouli, or those vintages of which I'm stocked-up for many years to come, like the Burberry or Sybaris. I save some of the really rare, the obscure or pretty expensive ones for special days.

There are seasonal aspects but this isn`t much about lighter or fresher ones: Kouros is a summer scent for me; Sybaris which is a die-hard oriental soap scent is just perfect in summer.
    I never layer my perfumes with the exception of some dabs of oud or vintage musk oil after showering and using a nice EdC.
    I have a couple of aftershaves that match the scents I'm using (green, powdery, aqua, fougere, chypre, oriental, musky).
    Currently wearing: Sandalo by Etro

Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    All about the mood.
    Have to agree
    Currently wearing: Sunshine Man by Amouage

Basenotes Plus

i use the SOTD/wardrobe feature and if I see I haven't worn something in a long time I try to work it in...otherwise I just pick whatever appeals to me...
    Currently wearing: Peety by O'Driù

Blog Entries

I have "seasonal" frags, some that I only wear in winter, some that are summer, some for rainy days, others for humid, but aside from that, it's random. I have some that I wear weekly, while some only get worn a few times/year.
    [SIZE=]See my Sale thread for partial bottles/samples Zoology, Penhaligon, Montale, marc de la morandiere, many others! [/SIZE]
    Currently wearing: Viking by Creed

There's some seasonal considerations to my rotations. Then there's the curiosity about how something smells after a long absence. And then the trying out of new things. In any rotation, I try to keep a variety, although there have been some iterations where it was more about the best spicy or citrus or leather, etc. frags in my collection. The only rule I apply to myself is that once I pull something out, I "have to" wear it at least twice before putting it back. Usual number of frags in a rotation: 7 to 10. Length of time: 2 to 3 weeks, depending how attached I get. Sometimes I switch out all the frags at once, other times I delete one or two and let their replacements suggest themselves individually.

You sure can have a lot of fun in the space of a tray on your dresser top!