Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
o

Default Guerlain Jicky - New packaging!

Hello!
    Im thinking in purchasing again Jicky Eau de Parfum!
    I see that the web store Incenza already have Jicky in the "new" bee bottle.
    Does anyone already tried Jicky from the new bee bottle?
    Thank you so much for the information!

Default Re: Guerlain Jicky - New packaging!

Bump! No one, really ... ?

Basenotes Plus

Those "bee" bottles have been around since 1992, so they'll be fine. And much better looking than the masculine versions, of course. Still, the end of an era at Guerlain.

Jicky wasn't sold in this Bee bottles
    Last edited by etoile; 14th August 2016 at 04:23 PM.

It makes sense that the uniformity introduced in the men's line would repeat in the women's. I love the bee bottle.
    Currently wearing: Diorella by Christian Dior

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by etoile View Post
    Jicky wasn't sold in this Bee bottles
    The point being that Guerlain have used this design, originally just for Eaux Fraîches but subsequently for others, including Mouchoir de Monsieur, for over twenty years. There shouldn't be any issues with performance, and the design is exceptional, unlike the uglier utilitarian men's fragrance bottles.

I'm not interested in the bottle.
    I'm interested in the juice in the bottle!

I bought a bottle of the parfum in the spring, and I wasn't satisfied, too smooth and sweet in the drydown, and not much civet. Of course, it is possible that this new edp is better and more faithful to the original formula, but who knows. Given this, I wouldn't buy blindly.

In another thread, somebody was commenting that the civet note in the edt that was sold in the previous bottles is strong at first, but it goes away quickly. Again, i don't know how this relates to the new bottle content.

cacio

I haven't even seen the Bee bottle version here yet. Mr.Guerlain reported the change of bottle only a few months ago, so I imagine the old style bottle is still being sold in most places. Jicky though gorgeous, is not that big a seller I will say for the stores to have the new Bee bottles in yet. Perhaps the boutiques.

I have the older parfum and the pdt versions.
    DONNA

Quote Originally Posted by Scarce View Post

Those "bee" bottles have been around since 1992, so they'll be fine. And much better looking than the masculine versions, of course. Still, the end of an era at Guerlain.
    Thanks for the great photos, Scarce. I see Nahéma in that lineup. Didn't they discontinue Nahéma, or was it only the parfum? What is the scent in the second bottle after Jicky? Hard to read.
    ​"It was foolish of her not to have bought a larger bottle."

Dorothy Eden, The Time of the Dragon
    Currently wearing: Angel by Thierry Mugler

Quote Originally Posted by FiveoaksBouquet View Post
    Thanks for the great photos, Scarce. I see Nahéma in that lineup. Didn't they discontinue Nahéma, or was it only the parfum? What is the scent in the second bottle after Jicky? Hard to read.
    Only the parfum has been discontinued.

The second bottle is Chamade, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by saminlondon View Post

Thanks, saminlondon.

I look forward to seeing the new lineup in the local stores. Hope they will be appearing in the fall. We have not been getting much Guerlain stock, probably because of this revamp that has been going on.
    ​"It was foolish of her not to have bought a larger bottle."

Dorothy Eden, The Time of the Dragon
    Currently wearing: Angel by Thierry Mugler

Interesting thread...I am down to about 1/3 of my refillable EdP of Jicky, and I love it so much! I'm trying to decide if I should get a backup refill before they are all gone, or if the formula in the bee bottle is close enough. I'm not a connoisseur, but I do enjoy the mild skank of the bottle I have, and I worry that the newer batches might be more sharp and clean. I will follow with interest...
    Currently wearing: Warszawa by Puredistance

Quote Originally Posted by saminlondon View Post

There were rumours Chamade was totally going. But it has just moved to the Bee Bottle and seems the edp has gone.
    DONNA

I'll definitely pick up the new bottle of Vol de Nuit. Bee bottles are so pretty.

...and maybe Fleurs de Cedrat while I'm there.

Actually, it's best if I don't go near Guerlain.
    Currently wearing: Diorella by Christian Dior

Basenotes Plus

I had no ideal Guerlain was repackaging this and others - wow!

If I was you, etoile, I would buy vintage EdP...but I know that's not what you asked.

I would love to hear from someone who's smelled the new bee bottle Jicky.
    "A man has made at least a start on discovering the meaning of human life when he plants shade trees under which he knows full well he will never sit. "

-- D. Elton Trueblood

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Me, too! I'm completely out of Jicky, and holding off buying any until some of the smoke clears.
    Last edited by thediamondsea; 16th August 2016 at 07:59 PM.

I had no ideal Guerlain was repackaging this and others - wow!

If I was you, etoile, I would buy vintage EdP...but I know that's not what you asked.

Hello mike.
    Thats my thought.
    I should try to find an older bottle.
    Things does not tend to get better!
    Last edited by etoile; 17th August 2016 at 04:18 PM.

Modern Jicky EdT has been disappointingly fleeting for some years now. I would be amazed if the juice in the new bee bottles represented an improvement, so the best we can hope for is that it hasn't got any worse.

Well!
    Had the opportunity to sample this today!
    This one is thinner and lighter than my previous bottle from 2012.

Missing Oakmoss

Well!
    Had the opportunity to sample this today!
    This one is thinner and lighter than my previous bottle from 2012.
    There are many Basenoters who were fragrance aficionados in the 70s, 80s and 90s, and some of us still have portions of bottles from those eras - we can compare and contrast vintage and modern iterations at first hand. But as older generations shuffle off this mortal coil, that experiential knowledge will also fade away. Future generations will have become so accustomed to the thin, one-dimensional reformulations of today, that a perfectly preserved 1980s (or earlier) masterpiece might actually smell off to someone smelling it in, say, 2040. I know that's the nature of change in a denatured world, but it makes me sad. Jicky stands out particularly in that regard, because at its best it was strange, evocative, unusual to the point of being (to some) distasteful. I haven't smelled the latest version, but my 2014 EDP (which I enjoy in spite of its tamed personality) was already headed down the road to uniformity - with many companions, from many houses.

I got some parfum in Paris recently. I still have an existing bottle but wanted to get one of the new coloured bee bottles.

It is definitely different to my previous parfum.

Funny thing is that it is closer to a small vintage bottle I have from the 60's in that it is creamier without the civet jutting out so much.
    On the other hand I could detect more geranium than before and much less of that lovely civety sandalwood in the dry down, with more of a vanilla finish instead.

So swings and roundabouts ...

Missing Oakmoss

Quote Originally Posted by Joe C View Post
    ...I could detect more geranium than before and much less of that lovely civety sandalwood in the dry down, with more of a vanilla finish instead.

So swings and roundabouts ...
    In so many current reformulations, vanilla (or amber) seems to be the new sandalwood. I get why this is so, it's not perfumers' fault - it's just so, well, predictable and dreary. Even when the result is pleasant enough on its own.

Its better to me to never sample a vintage Jicky...

A bottle from 2012 will already have aged a bit, even if stored in perfect conditions. That's why comparing vintage bottles with new ones is everything but accurate. The only way to compare would be smelling the recreated vintage formulas at Guerlain. I know reformulation happen all the time, due to new regulations and sometimes due to certain ingredients not being available anymore. But I don't think they change the formula each time a new bottle design is introduced. Never understood why so many stand by this myth. If they reformulate, they will do it without anyone noticing, without changing the appearance of the bottle.

Basenotes Plus

Its better to me to never sample a vintage Jicky...
    I disagree. Even if you just wear/sample it once, it is def worth it. Glorious stuff!
    "A man has made at least a start on discovering the meaning of human life when he plants shade trees under which he knows full well he will never sit. "

-- D. Elton Trueblood

I disagree. Even if you just wear/sample it once, it is def worth it. Glorious stuff!
    I agree completely, it wrenches new space in your head to smell unadulturated bergamot and the old nitro musks.

If I sample it and like, and I will! I have to chase down a vintage bottle.
    And that's expensive

If I sample it and like, and I will! I have to chase down a vintage bottle.
    And that's expensive
    More expensive than buying the current juice at full price? I'm not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasuke View Post
    A bottle from 2012 will already have aged a bit, even if stored in perfect conditions. That's why comparing vintage bottles with new ones is everything but accurate. The only way to compare would be smelling the recreated vintage formulas at Guerlain. I know reformulation happen all the time, due to new regulations and sometimes due to certain ingredients not being available anymore. But I don't think they change the formula each time a new bottle design is introduced. Never understood why so many stand by this myth. If they reformulate, they will do it without anyone noticing, without changing the appearance of the bottle.
    This is a very good point. Vintage bottles have aged and the balance of the notes changed, so it's not exactly the same as comparing them to a fresh bottle, though of course some ingredients are now disallowed.

I know I'm going to get yelled at for saying this, but I've come to the conclusion that I'm actually OK with current state of Jicky and am less worried about it than other Guerlains (Mitsouko and L'Heure Bleue). I have a bottle of vintage parfum from the 1970s, and to be honest, while it IS different from my 2012 bottle, it's not arguably better. It does not last longer--longevity is one of Jicky's major drawbacks. The vanilla seems closer to Shalimar's vanilla, and is richer, and the lavender note is toned down (probably because of aging), but on the other hand, my modern bottle has more civet. Is the vintage excellent? Yes. Is it so much better than the modern that it was worth the $500 I spent for a half-ounce? No. I would also point out that according to a recent (2013?) interview with Thierry Wasser, the formula for Jicky parfum has not changed since 1984. I wouldn't believe that if a customer service representative said it, but I do believe it coming from Wasser.