Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: Elie Saab - La Collection des Essences

Quote Originally Posted by CapriDog View Post
    Lucky you and congrats! Don't forget to share you thought whenever you have a chance.
    The weather cooled down a little this evening to wear Elie Saab Vetiver. This is a refined and elegant vetiver composition with bergamot and tarragon. It has a green mossy quality like the kind you find near river beds, this could be the papyrus. There's apparently clove in this composition, if it's there it must be just a smattering as it's barely perceptible. I will say this fragrance doesn't last very long, I used 10 sprays this evening and 1 hour later it's barely there. My cousin couldn't pick up anything and she was literally 2-3 feet away. This could be the heat but regardless it doesn't hold up that well, this could wear better in cooler weather but I'll have to wait until October. I also have Elie Saab Neroli with the same batch code as the Vetiver and it's a beautiful clean neroli and also very potent. If I were to get one it would be the Neroli.
    Last edited by mixerscent; 11th July 2017 at 12:56 PM. Reason: I can't spel

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by mixerscent View Post
    The weather cooled down a little this evening to wear Elie Saab Vetiver. This is a refined and elegant vetiver composition with bergamot and tarragon. It has a green mossy quality like the kind you find near river beds, this could be the papyrus. There's apparently clove in this composition, if it's there it must be just a smattering as it's barely perceptible. I will say this fragrance doesn't last very long, I used 10 sprays this evening and 1 hour later it's barely there. My cousin couldn't pick up anything and she was literally 2-3 feet away. This could be the heat but regardless it doesn't hold up that well, this could wear better in cooler weather but I'll have to wait until October. I also have Elie Saab Neroli with the same batch code as the Vetiver and it's a beautiful clean neroli and also very potent. If I were to get one it would be the Neroli.
    Thanks for sharing your thought, Mixerscent. I still haven't had a chance to sample any of this line and too bad the Vetiver doesn't last long in your experience. The Neroli sounds promising though.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Envy View Post
    I own the neroli, it's quite different not your typical neroli. The one I regret not buying was the Cuir Bourbon
    How do you like it?

How do you like it?
    I've only sprayed it a few times, I like it, haven't had the chance to give it a proper wearing have too many others
    My top 30

1. Gucci Envy / D&G By Man
    2. Amber Sky /Cedrat Boise
    3. Costarela / TFK Arab Spring
    4. Dior Homme Intense / Baccarat Rouge 540
    5. Dior Homme Cologne / Chez Bond
    6. Sleek Suede / Aventus
    7. Antidote / By the Fireplace
    8. Gucci Pour Homme / Armani Attitude
    9. Black Phantom / Layton
    10. D&G The One EDP / M7
    11. Santal Majuscule / Reckless
    12. Diadema / Prada L’Homme
    13. Habdan / Tuxedo
    14. Lira / Dior Homme Sport 2012
    15. Citric Santa Eulalia / Clive X

My Vetiver arrived last week but, since I was out of country, I only opened it half an hour ago.
    I love it so far, but I need to give it a full wearing.
    Hermes Vetiver Tonka
    Chanel Sycomore
    Chanel Coromandel
    Prada Soleil au Zenith
    Dior Oud Ispahan
    Guerlain Tonka Imperiale

How is Ambre no 3???

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Please, someone refresh my memory. Who sells this house in the US?
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Wearing Perfume Right Now

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Nowhere in the US, as far as I can tell. I think Sephora in France has them.

Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post
    Nowhere in the US, as far as I can tell. I think Sephora in France has them.
    Thank you.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    A reviewer from Fragrantica mentioned that he tested the whole Essence line at the Elie Saab boutique on Madison Avenue in NYC.

A reviewer from Fragrantica mentioned that he tested the whole Essence line at the Elie Saab boutique on Madison Avenue in NYC.
    It's close to my home. Will have to stop by there then and see. Thanks for this.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinrambo09 View Post
    How is Ambre no 3???
    I've bought two from this line, both blind: Vetiver and Ambre.
    I like both, but I favor the Ambre.
    I only have one amber in my collection: L'Artisan L'Eau d'Ambre Extreme and tested only a handful: Ambre Narguile, Ambre Nuit, Ambre Russe...
    Ambre by Elie Saab is by far my favorite and probably my best blind buy.
    Hermes Vetiver Tonka
    Chanel Sycomore
    Chanel Coromandel
    Prada Soleil au Zenith
    Dior Oud Ispahan
    Guerlain Tonka Imperiale

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Envy View Post
    I own the neroli, it's quite different not your typical neroli. The one I regret not buying was the Cuir Bourbon
    Now that you've mentioned it... The "cuirs" range is hard to find. Was it ever been released to the public? Reviews are also quite scarce.

Basenotes Plus

Ooh la la

Breaking news, folks - Fragrancenet is selling the Essence line except Santal.

Woohoot

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by ceaiu View Post
    Just ordered the Vetiver from Sephora.fr... they seem to make deliveries to Romania.
    Anyone else bought from this line?
    I only have one amber in my collection: L'Artisan L'Eau d'Ambre Extreme and tested only a handful: Ambre Narguile, Ambre Nuit, Ambre Russe...
    Thank you for sharing your thought.

Thanks! I blind bought it as well from Fragrancenet.

Basenotes Plus

I just would like to give a shout-out and thank everyone participating in this thread. Just cannot believe that it had been a couple years and finally I had a chance to wear them all except Santal. As a fan of Francis Kurkdjian, I might be a bit bias but these Essence scents are indeed quite good. If there are adjectives that can describe the line, I'd say "smooth and elegant". Please note that they are not unique or original but if you are looking for scents that are just easy to like, solid, and can be worn day in and day out, you need to try them. Sorry, I don't have a great attention span that can analyze and go into details of each scent so what I have been saying is quite vague, but do sample or test them when you have a chance. Initially I thought I liked vetiver, rose, and neroli the most but now I just cannot make up my mind. They are just outstanding. One thing I noticed that these scents can be layered rather well with one another. Not sure if that was the intention of Elie Saab/Francis Kurkdjian but I have tried several combinations and thoroughly enjoyed them. Longevity has been an issue for some though I find it a non-issue for me since I spray under the shirt so am able to smell it all day. I also don't have issue with projection.

Any how, thanks again everyone. I'll try to keep in mind and take some notes when I wear them again to see if I can elaborate more.

Quote Originally Posted by mytwoscentsworth View Post
    Now that you've mentioned it... The "cuirs" range is hard to find. Was it ever been released to the public? Reviews are also quite scarce.
    You're right. Sephora.fr has these on their website, but as of late January, their store on the Champs Elysees had exactly *one* bottle of Cuir Bourbon (sealed) and no testers of any of the "cuirs." To try those you needed to visit a real Elie Saab boutique (George V had everything, the SA there was kind and obliging, and the boutique is beautiful, by the way).

All of the four seemed rather minimalistic, I guess in the same vein as the rest of the essences. The leather smelled like synthetic birch tar to me. Not appealing, but I'm not a fan of birch tar, so take that into account. That said, I liked Vanille Bourbon since the "leather" aspect retreated to the background rather quickly and the vanilla that was left was nice and very wearable, but still not a very unique take on vanilla, despite what I was hoping! I would love to have it if someone bought it for me, but I don't know if I would buy it myself. It was *that* kind of like.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by pfranka View Post
    You're right. Sephora.fr has these on their website, but as of late January, their store on the Champs Elysees had exactly *one* bottle of Cuir Bourbon (sealed) and no testers of any of the "cuirs." To try those you needed to visit a real Elie Saab boutique (George V had everything, the SA there was kind and obliging, and the boutique is beautiful, by the way).

All of the four seemed rather minimalistic, I guess in the same vein as the rest of the essences. The leather smelled like synthetic birch tar to me. Not appealing, but I'm not a fan of birch tar, so take that into account. That said, I liked Vanille Bourbon since the "leather" aspect retreated to the background rather quickly and the vanilla that was left was nice and very wearable, but still not a very unique take on vanilla, despite what I was hoping! I would love to have it if someone bought it for me, but I don't know if I would buy it myself. It was *that* kind of like.
    Thanks for sharing your thought.

Ooh la la

Woohoot
    I just checked Fragrancenet and they're literally giving them away. Shame they don't ship to Japan!

Btw Vetiver wears well in cool weather, refined with good longevity. My girlfriend's father liked it a lot so it's now in his collection

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by mixerscent View Post
    I just checked Fragrancenet and they're literally giving them away. Shame they don't ship to Japan!

Btw Vetiver wears well in cool weather, refined with good longevity. My girlfriend's father liked it a lot so it's now in his collection
    Vetiver is among my favorite. Too bad the longevity is not great on you.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinrambo09 View Post
    How is Ambre no 3???
    Just fantastic. The best I've smelt as of today (Lutens AS, L'artisan AE, HdP A114, MFK GS, Dior...).
    At $52 currently on FragNet, it's a no brainer!

One thing I noticed that these scents can be layered rather well with one another. Not sure if that was the intention of Elie Saab/Francis Kurkdjian but I have tried several combinations and thoroughly enjoyed them. Longevity has been an issue for some though
    This line has not been designed to be layered, but there are suggestions of combinations on Elie Saab's website (or try by yourself!).
    Also, direct suggestions by their creator:
    https://myfashdiary.com/2015/06/the-...es-collection/

As for longevity, it's pretty good on my skin. The downside, in my opinion, is more the projection that becomes pretty soft after an hour.

There are currently eight scents in this line: Rose, Gardenia, Ambre, Oud, Vetiver, Neroli, Santal, and Tuberose and I believe they are all created by the talented Francis Kurkdjian. Have anyone tried any and what do you think of them? My understanding is that the Essence scents are only sold at Elie Saab boutiques, however I am curious if you can buy them at any retailers online? Thanks in advance.
    I have 4 of them: Ambre, Oud, Vetiver and Santal (the latter just a decant, since it is the only scent of the line to be unavailable to buy currently - except maybe overpriced on ebay).
    I find all of them fantastic. Not groundbreaking, just all perfectly blended with an original -but subtle- twist.

Highly recommended, especially given the current prices!

Picked up Vetiver recently. Nicely wearable designer grade level clean vetiver with a touch of warmth in the base, IMO a rung or two below Zegna’s Haitian Vetiver. Definitely not worth the crazy price tag it originally came with but at current prices it’s an absolute steal.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Picked up Vetiver recently. Nicely wearable designer grade level clean vetiver with a touch of warmth in the base, IMO a rung or two below Zegna’s Haitian Vetiver. Definitely not worth the crazy price tag it originally came with but at current prices it’s an absolute steal.
    It's for sure a very grassy vetiver. I agree that it is not the best one around -and not worth the initial price tag-, but still I think that the quality is a step up compared to designer's. It's more elegant and has an airy quality that Guerlain or Givenchy don't have imo. That said, it has performance issues for sure, both in projection and longevity. (on my skin Zegna HV also has a soft projection, but a great longevity)

Edit: it's now in my top 5. A little air in the bottle helped improve performance. One of the best vetivers I own, especially for the current great bang for the buck ($60).
    Last edited by Andy the frenchy; 7th May 2019 at 07:15 PM. Reason: changed my mind

Ooh la la

Woohoot
    Recently, even Santal n.8 appeared on FragNet for a short time, together with 3 over the 4 fragrance of the Cuir line. (Basically all of them, except for Cuir Bourbon and Amande-Tonka n.10).
    Santal and Cuir were sold at a higher price tag ($90) compared to the other ones ($50-60). I had time to grab the Santal before they were sold-out (pretty fast).

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Andy the frenchy View Post
    Recently, even Santal n.8 appeared on FragNet for a short time, together with 3 over the 4 fragrance of the Cuir line. (Basically all of them, except for Cuir Bourbon and Amande-Tonka n.10).
    Santal and Cuir were sold at a higher price tag ($90) compared to the other ones ($50-60). I had time to grab the Santal before they were sold-out (pretty fast).
    Thanks for the info Andy. I generally love FK’s creations so I have to have them. LoL. Regarding Vetiver, I really like it and am not worried about longevity or projection as I tend to like my scents discreet. Glad you were able to get Santal.

Thanks for the info Andy. I generally love FK’s creations so I have to have them. LoL. Regarding Vetiver, I really like it and am not worried about longevity or projection as I tend to like my scents discreet. Glad you were able to get Santal.
    Anytime! Should I spot them again, I'll post an alert on this thread!

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Andy the frenchy View Post
    Anytime! Should I spot them again, I'll post an alert on this thread!
    Awesome !

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast