Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: Whats Your Shaving Set Up Consist Of

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    Thanks Rum I appreciate that. Just one small question, what do you think of Trumper shaving creams? It's just I saw a few posts on that Badger & Blade website and a few people were not very enamoured with them. I wanted to try the Sandalwood shaving cream, are they any good like the Taylors shaving creams?
    Trumper creams and soaps were once the pinnacle of the British wet shaving brands. I started with the rose and then went to use the shaving soap of the same type, picking up a lot of others from the range on the way.

As it happens, soaps and creams suffer reformulations too. Don't ask me why. They added colour in the Rose cream and the soaps have been reformulated to oblivion. I have a hunch that the coconut cream might be good so I might get some when my arsenal gradually starts to run out. But the soaps are a no go for me - people report they are flat when it comes to lather. What a shame.

Thanks Rum, good to know.
    "There's No School Like The Old School."
    Currently wearing: Loewe para Hombre by Loewe

Thanks for the info Renato, much appreciated.

I have been doing some research and have found that Jagger do a Kelvin knurled handle edition where the grip is better and the handle is shorter. I have small hands so that one may fit me better. The slippery handle is the only downside to the regular D89, I find I have to wipe it dry a few times whilst shaving. Just a minor annoyance from a razor that gives a great shave.
    Jack, I use the Kelvin. It is superb. Good grip, good weight and good balance. You can get them dirct from Jagger.
    Currently residing in Blighty but biding my time when I shall return to my island of dreams.

Always be smelling

Edwin Jagger DE89Lbl
    Various kinds of blades(Wilkinson, Feather, Merkur,Astra,Bic..)
    Proraso Sandalwood Shaving Cream
    Boar Brush from Italy

A/S used to be Nivea Balm but since I came on basenotes I have gone through various. Pinaud Clubman was the worse (drying and biting) while Erno Lazlo the best and most soothing.
    Last edited by epapsiou; 19th July 2016 at 07:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by artlin View Post
    Jack, I use the Kelvin. It is superb. Good grip, good weight and good balance. You can get them dirct from Jagger.
    Good to know, will put it on my to buy list. Thanks!

Gillette Pro-Glide Razor
    Aveeno Non-Scented Shaving Creme
    Dickinson's Witch Hazel (great brand)
    Port Products Conditioning Beard Absolute Beard Oil

Thanks Rum I appreciate that. Just one small question, what do you think of Trumper shaving creams? It's just I saw a few posts on that Badger & Blade website and a few people were not very enamoured with them. I wanted to try the Sandalwood shaving cream, are they any good like the Taylors shaving creams?
    Trumpers Sandalwood was recommended to me here back in 2002 by Al (the first person to join Basenotes) as being the best shaving cream available.

Trumpers Sandalwood and the Art of Shaving creams are the slickest I have found so far. By "slickest" I mean that after shaving the cream off, applying water to wash the remainder off, the face is still slick enough to shave over again comfortably, whereas when most other creams are washed off, the face is just wet, and not so comfortable to shave over again (e.g. to get a spot one missed). I guess that some people may just not like this characteristic, while others think that is what makes Trumpers superb.

One problem with this extra slickness is that my mildest DE razor - The Weber with Feather blades - just doesn't work that well with Trumper's cream (i.e. doesn't shave close enough). All my other DE razors work very well with it.

The other problem is that if one uses cartridge razors with lots of gooey lubricant coming out of them (e.g. Schick Hydro), then they don't work well with Trumper's cream either (i.e. they don't shave close enough).
    Regards,
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 20th July 2016 at 03:47 AM.

Thanks for the info again Renato.

You know my first shaving cream was Sandalwood by Taylors which lathered up really well. And then I got the proraso red shaving cream which was pretty poor in comparison. It took way more effort and water to get a decent lather and then it seemed too thin and watery. So I'm back with Taylors Eaton College shaving cream and all's right with the world.

Thanks for the info again Renato.

You know my first shaving cream was Sandalwood by Taylors which lathered up really well. And then I got the proraso red shaving cream which was pretty poor in comparison. It took way more effort and water to get a decent lather and then it seemed too thin and watery. So I'm back with Taylors Eaton College shaving cream and all's right with the world.
    I'm willing to bet you got the Proraso Red in the tube and not in the tub. The tub lathers better than the tubes do. It's pretty common knowledge in the shaving community. I went through this with Proraso White.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes your right I did, and for my shame I did stick with it for longer than I should have. I'm sticking with Taylors from now on as they lather up really well from a small amount. I have yet to take the step where I have a shaving cream for everyday of the week but I guess it's only a matter of time before I'm there.

ToOBS shaving cream is best for me as well. I have tried several others but find the Taylors has a rich, creamy lather that lasts throughout the shave. A good quality product.

I use the proraso as a travel soap but only for2 or 3 shaves.
    Currently residing in Blighty but biding my time when I shall return to my island of dreams.

I should have mtnioned that Truefitt & Hill creams are also very good. My favourite from the line is 1805. Gobs of lather from only a small amount. Worth checking this one out too.

Quote Originally Posted by rum View Post
    I should have mtnioned that Truefitt & Hill creams are also very good. My favourite from the line is 1805. Gobs of lather from only a small amount. Worth checking this one out too.
    I've been checking out the website and they actually do a sample set of their creams, aftershave balms and colognes. I've got to get that at some point, great way of checking out their whole range. Cheers for the recommendation.

Basenotes Member

Safety razor. Personna (I think they are) blades.
    Proraso green shaving cream, Proraso crema liquida
    Last edited by jpohl402; 22nd July 2016 at 03:36 PM.

Omega Professional Boar Bristle Shaving Brush, Black Handle. Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood Shaving Cream. Merkur Long Handled Double Edge Safety Razor Chrome #180, and feather blades

you can always add mitchell wool fat and martin de candre shaving soap to your collection. They are one of the finest shaving soaps and you will never be disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by surileo View Post
    you can always add mitchell wool fat and martin de candre shaving soap to your collection. They are one of the finest shaving soaps and you will never be disappointed.
    I bought Kent shave soap and found it disappointing. When I mentioned this at Badger and Blade, the responses were that it was the same thing as Mitchell's Wool Fat, and that what I was doing wrong was using it intermittently. Apparently, by using it frequently, the water softens it up and it works much better. But I never got around to testing this out.
    Regards,
    Renato

Basenotes Plus

Razor: Ikon ShaveCraft #102 Slant razor head with OSS handle
    Blade: Personna Blue
    Brush: Omega Shaving Brush 20102 (Boar)
    Shaving Cream: The St. James Collection by Taylor of Old Bond Street
    Aftershave: Thayer's alcohol free Witchhazel -unscented
    Veni, Vidi, Ego Emit.
    ( I came, I saw, I purchased. )
    Currently wearing: L'Homme de Coeur by Divine

Basenotes Institution FSU92grad's Avatar

Hey Jack....

Probably a lot of avid shavers are going to disagree on this but not a fan of those TOBS uk shave creams. I've tried Castle Forbes Lime shaving cream and many other high-end soaps like Mitchel's Wool Fat. I've tried the green and red Proraso tube shaving creams, you name it...They all suck to me. I get nicks and cuts with them and I've been DE wet shaving for over 5 years now...I have overly sensitive skin and it's prone for razor bumps but here is my regimen...

Ikon DE razor -
    https://www.ikonrazors.com/shop/ikon...ad-oss-handle/

Aesop Moroccan Neroli shaving serum (which I mix with a badger brush in a stainless steel bowl)
    Thiers Issard badger brush
    Moroccan Neroli Post shave lotion or Brickell instant relief men's aftershave followed by Brickell's Daily Essential Face Moisterizer

Sometimes to get a closer shave like maybe once or twice a week, I use Malin&Goetz Jojoba exfoliating cleanser.....Gets me a fantastic shave everytime....

I use Malin & Goetz Vitamin E shave cream too when I'm in a hurry and just apply with my hand...It's packed with antioxidants and skin lubricants and gives a lot of slickness when you shave with it....It's got menthol in it too which gives you that refreshing vapor-rub feel after you shave.....Great when it's hot outside...
    TOP TEN FOR SUMMER:
    1.) MFK Baccarat Rouge 540
    2.) MFK Aqua Celestin
    3.) MFK Pluriel Masculine
    4.) MFK Petit Matin
    5.) ADG Profumo
    6.) Mojave Ghost
    7.) Gypsy Water
    8.) Eight & Bob Nuit de Megeve
    9.) Dusita Issara
    10.) Ferrari Bright Neroli
    Currently wearing: Original Vetiver by Creed

Woefully low tech: Gillette Sensor and Barbasol.....
    Striving still to Truth unknown

For me,

Razor: Feather Stainless DE AS-D2
    Blades: Feather High Stainless Platinum or Kai Stainless
    Brushes: Simpson Chubby 2 Best Badger, Kent BLK 12, or Simpson Major Best Badger for Travel
    Soaps: (I have quite a few I rotate, but mainly) Martin De Candre, Various Sterling Soaps, Loccitane Cade, Blades Grim Cinder are my rotation.

Currently, for when I have the time:

Merkur 34c razor
    Merkur or Feather blades
    Lockhart's shaving oil
    Jagger lime & pomegranate shaving cream
    Vegan brush (my wife has a thing about badgers)
    Trumpers coral skin food
    Kiehl's facial fuel
    Alum block.

I suppose one feature of my post shave is to apply the skin food, wait, and then apply a moisturiser or balm.

Basenotes Institution FSU92grad's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Oviatt View Post
    Woefully low tech: Gillette Sensor and Barbasol.....
    Whatever works ! Sounds simple to me....I like simplicity, especially if it works well...
    TOP TEN FOR SUMMER:
    1.) MFK Baccarat Rouge 540
    2.) MFK Aqua Celestin
    3.) MFK Pluriel Masculine
    4.) MFK Petit Matin
    5.) ADG Profumo
    6.) Mojave Ghost
    7.) Gypsy Water
    8.) Eight & Bob Nuit de Megeve
    9.) Dusita Issara
    10.) Ferrari Bright Neroli
    Currently wearing: Original Vetiver by Creed

Quote Originally Posted by rum View Post
    Trumper creams and soaps were once the pinnacle of the British wet shaving brands. I started with the rose and then went to use the shaving soap of the same type, picking up a lot of others from the range on the way.

As it happens, soaps and creams suffer reformulations too. Don't ask me why. They added colour in the Rose cream and the soaps have been reformulated to oblivion. I have a hunch that the coconut cream might be good so I might get some when my arsenal gradually starts to run out. But the soaps are a no go for me - people report they are flat when it comes to lather. What a shame.
    This is true. I would avoid the soaps for double edged shaving but they provide good results with a regular disposable. The creams are good but the Trumpers creams I have tried include parabens - hence my switch to Jagger.

after about 2 years I've finally settles on what I personally like

American crew pre shave oil/ the art of shaving pre shave oil
    Taylors Of Old Bond Street Shaving Cream - sandalwood scent
    the art of shaving after shave lotion - unscented
    muhle closed comb safety razor
    muhle porcelain shaving bowl
    the art of shaving chrome synthetic brush, upgrading to the muhle badger brush soon
    and feather blades
    also I have the brush and razor stand that muhle sells as well. As you can obviously see I really like muhle.
    For deodorant I'm experimenting with an unscented aluminum free deodorant from Australia. Definitely going to stay with the unscented deodorants since I'm spending so much money on fragrances!
    Currently wearing: Royal Mayfair by Creed

The razor I've been using for years is just the simple Merkur 34c. I also have an old Gillette open comb, but I don't use it often. Blades are Wilkinson Sword. I also prefer a boar brush and honestly, the Proraso one is more than acceptable. I have a fancy pants sliver-tipped badger brush as well, but it's too soft for me. I usually use the Art of Shaving preshave oil, but as soon as this little bit I have left runs out, I'm just going to make my own. It's extremely simple stuff. As far as cream/soap is concerned, I generally default to Proraso green. I shave my head with a razor mostly and I love the menthol coolness of the Proraso green on my head.

I have had my eyes on a Hone brass razor, but they have been out of stock for awhile now.
    Last edited by Hat and Beard; 24th July 2017 at 03:03 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Funwithfrags View Post
    This is true. I would avoid the soaps for double edged shaving but they provide good results with a regular disposable. The creams are good but the Trumpers creams I have tried include parabens - hence my switch to Jagger.
    If your tap water is hard, shaving soaps will not work well, that's why I only use shaving creams.
    Veni, Vidi, Ego Emit.
    ( I came, I saw, I purchased. )
    Currently wearing: L'Homme de Coeur by Divine

Been a while since I posted here, so thought I'd chime in with a few tips:

- UK Basenoters need to know that there is a hidden gem in the wet shaving world sold in almost every supermarket in the country for just a few pennies. The Palmolive shaving soap stick is just superb. 49p at Asda/50p at Tesco and sometimes even sold at promotional days for less. This is known as the 'European' Palmolive stick and is not the same as yo ucan get in Australia or elsewhere. The quality of the shave offered by this little beauty does not compare to what you can get from other more expensive brands. Wet your face, wet your brush, then rub the stick on your face gently. Apply the wet brush to your face and then boom! Gobs of adequately slick lather explode from the brush. No gimmicky scent, just something soft and clean. Nothing harsh either, so sensitive or even dry skins are left soft and supple.

- Nivea Aftershave balm (the one marked 0% alcohol) is the next best thing. Used with the Palmolive shave stick as lather, this provides one of the best shaves money can buy in the UK. Lowest price I could find this was £2.49 from Wilko or £2.67 from Boots when on promotion. You;d be mad not to at least give this a try at that price.

- My favourite blades are ordered online. They're the Feather blades, made in Japan. They are ultra sharp and work better than the Wilkinson type. Dirt cheap when bought in bulk and I get between 10 and 15 shaves on each blade. That's with my thick stubble and shaving three times a week.

Hope this helps someone!

Razor: Parker 29L (It's a unisex d/e safety razor that I've found works very well with Feather blades. Given the blade exposure with this razor and the incredibly sharp edge of the Feather, I've found that this set-up gives me the closest and safest shave ).

Blade: Feather

Shave creams/soaps: Proraso Red, Green, Blue, Trumper's Eucris

A/S: A drop of jojoba, a drop of vitamin E, dime-size dollop of pure aloe, 1 pump of Trader Joe's Nourish Oil Free face cream all mixed together and voila
    I have found the paradox, that if you love until it hurts, there can be no more hurt, only more love.

Mother Teresa

Quote Originally Posted by Vmaster View Post
    If your tap water is hard, shaving soaps will not work well, that's why I only use shaving creams.
    That's the thing: where I live we have soft water, so they've been given every chance.