Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Whats Your Shaving Set Up Consist Of

My primary razor is a Wolfman, standard gap, solid bar, polished. But I own several razors.

My favorite blades at present are Gillette Nacets, but I also enjoy PolSilver SI, Voskhod, and Gillette Silver Blues.

I have about 30 brushes at present, which I rotate. My favorites are Shavemacs and Wolf Whiskers, but I have too many to list here.

Soaps, aftershaves and creams are likewise too numerous to mention. Favorite brands of soap are Cold River Soap Works, Barrister and Mann, and Saponificio Varesino.

Quote Originally Posted by rum View Post
    Been a while since I posted here, so thought I'd chime in with a few tips:

- UK Basenoters need to know that there is a hidden gem in the wet shaving world sold in almost every supermarket in the country for just a few pennies. The Palmolive shaving soap stick is just superb. 49p at Asda/50p at Tesco and sometimes even sold at promotional days for less. This is known as the 'European' Palmolive stick and is not the same as yo ucan get in Australia or elsewhere. The quality of the shave offered by this little beauty does not compare to what you can get from other more expensive brands. Wet your face, wet your brush, then rub the stick on your face gently. Apply the wet brush to your face and then boom! Gobs of adequately slick lather explode from the brush. No gimmicky scent, just something soft and clean. Nothing harsh either, so sensitive or even dry skins are left soft and supple.

- Nivea Aftershave balm (the one marked 0% alcohol) is the next best thing. Used with the Palmolive shave stick as lather, this provides one of the best shaves money can buy in the UK. Lowest price I could find this was 2.49 from Wilko or 2.67 from Boots when on promotion. You;d be mad not to at least give this a try at that price.

- My favourite blades are ordered online. They're the Feather blades, made in Japan. They are ultra sharp and work better than the Wilkinson type. Dirt cheap when bought in bulk and I get between 10 and 15 shaves on each blade. That's with my thick stubble and shaving three times a week.

Hope this helps someone!
    Isn't Erasmic - the shave stick and the cream - a cheap brand also available everywhere in the UK?
    I've just finished my first tube of Erasmic cream which I used through two three month trips of Europe, a month trip in the USA, a week's trip in Brisbane. and for three months recently to finally use it all up. I think it's pretty darn good. Also, I actually like the Erasmic stick more than the European Palmolive stick - but I know I'm in the minority on this.

The Nivea Sensitive Aftershave Fragrance Neutral Balm works very well, and it is what I put in my hand and put three sprays of EDT into when I want an aftershave that matches my EDT.

I'm still too scared to try Feather Blades in anything other than my mild Weber razor, since they are supposed to be sharper than Astra SP, and I often suffer when I use the Astras.
    Regards,
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 25th July 2017 at 05:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    Isn't Erasmic - the shave stick and the cream - a cheap brand also available everywhere in the UK?
    I've just finished my first tube of Erasmic cream which I used through two three month trips of Europe, a month trip in the USA, a week's trip in Brisbane. and for three months recently to finally use it all up. I think it's pretty darn good. Also, I actually like the Erasmic stick more than the European Palmolive stick - but I know I'm in the minority on this.

The Nivea Sensitive Aftershave Fragrance Neutral Balm works very well, and it is what I put in my hand and put three sprays of EDT into when I want an aftershave that matches my EDT.

I'm still too scared to try Feather Blades in anything other than my mild Weber razor, since they are supposed to be sharper than Astra SP, and I often suffer when I use the Astras.
    Regards,
    Renato
    Hi Renato,

Erasmic sticks are available widely but in chemists ("drug stores"); not so much in the supermarkets. It's roughly sold at double the price (1) of a Palmolive stick in the supermarket (0.50). I haven't personally tried these and I'm reluctant to. Some report that the Erasmic sticks are hit and miss; some contain tallow whilst others are veggie and fit for the trash. Without having tried them though it's hard for me to give an opinion.

I suppose Featehr blades are ideal for me due to my beard hairs. I have an extremely coarse beard hair; if I were to pull one out and hold it between my thumb and forefinger, I can feel its thickness. It's possible that I can role it between the fingers as well. Most wouldn't be able to do this with their beard hairs given how thin they can be for some people.

The key to when using a DE razor is to never press hard: instead, let the weight of the razor do the work for you.
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

I use various razors, including Muhle R41 OC; Above the Tie R1 SB and Fusion cartridges on Muhle handles. My preferred DE blade is PolSilver.

I've tried many soaps and creams but the standouts for me are Martin de Candre soaps; Mitchell's Wool Fat soap; Floris and Penhaligon's creams (not their soaps).

There is a new men's grooming line from Daimon Barber that is also superb: shaving cream; aftershave balm, pomades and general skin care. All outstanding.

I use a good quality badger brush and aftershaves by Floid & Floris or Daimon Barber aftershave balm.

@ rum: 10-15 shaves per Feather blade! I use them too, but get no more than 4 shaves out of each. Because they're at the sharper end of the spectrum, I find them much less forgiving once they develop little nicks along the edge. By about shave 3, they feel notably scratchy against my skin and by shave 4 I'm usually regretting having not just put in a new blade.
    They're cheap enough in bulk and that feeling (and sound) of a brand new blade is just lovely.

Quote Originally Posted by gandhajala View Post
    @ rum: 10-15 shaves per Feather blade! I use them too, but get no more than 4 shaves out of each. Because they're at the sharper end of the spectrum, I find them much less forgiving once they develop little nicks along the edge. By about shave 3, they feel notably scratchy against my skin and by shave 4 I'm usually regretting having not just put in a new blade.
    They're cheap enough in bulk and that feeling (and sound) of a brand new blade is just lovely.
    Well maybe it's time to review your software You need to use a soap or cream that provides adequate cover to your blade, or maybe something that creates a thinner lather. It's worth experimenting with this.

Also, if you are using an adjustable razor, make sure you are not setting it on to very aggressive. I use both a slant DE (Merkur) and a Progress, setting it no higher than 2.5 or 3.0.

YMMV, as they say.

I've used many, many different soaps but settled on Czech&Speake a few years back as my Holy Grail.

Out of curiosity, I did a quick interwebs search and came across this thread on Badger and Blade:
    https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum...feather.86123/
    Quite a range of responses, as expected.

That's quite a varied thread - but people need to consider various factors before making such claims.

Had I shaved against the grain with these, I probably would end up with dull blades after 3-4 goes as well...

Hi Renato,

Erasmic sticks are available widely but in chemists ("drug stores"); not so much in the supermarkets. It's roughly sold at double the price (1) of a Palmolive stick in the supermarket (0.50). I haven't personally tried these and I'm reluctant to. Some report that the Erasmic sticks are hit and miss; some contain tallow whilst others are veggie and fit for the trash. Without having tried them though it's hard for me to give an opinion.

I suppose Featehr blades are ideal for me due to my beard hairs. I have an extremely coarse beard hair; if I were to pull one out and hold it between my thumb and forefinger, I can feel its thickness. It's possible that I can role it between the fingers as well. Most wouldn't be able to do this with their beard hairs given how thin they can be for some people.

The key to when using a DE razor is to never press hard: instead, let the weight of the razor do the work for you.
    Thanks. I remember reading that the Erasmic stick had gone from tallow to vegetable oil, and that it was now rubbish.
    But my Erasmic stick is vegetable, and I like it.
    Cheers,
    Renato

Best advice for people new to DE.

I get 4-5 shaves out of my Feather blades. Which is fine for me they are cheap and sharp.
    Currently wearing: Legend by Montblanc

Quote Originally Posted by HFMIII View Post
    Best advice for people new to DE.

I get 4-5 shaves out of my Feather blades. Which is fine for me they are cheap and sharp.
    I only do one and a half passes per shave - whole face with the grain, and across the grain around cheek bone.

When I first started shaving, I'd get three weeks from Wilkinson Sword before I didn't think they cut close enough.

Now I get 4 shaves from Shark Stainless Steel - and they are my mildest and least long lasting.
    I get about 15-20 shaves from Dorco SS (I seem to be the only person at Badger & Blade that likes them).
    I get over 30 shaves from Astra SP.
    And my Feather blades last about 25-30 shaves in my Weber razor.

I don't understand why others get such few shaves out of their razor blades. Are you perhaps doing four passes per shave?
    Regards,
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 29th July 2017 at 05:24 PM.

Basenotes Plus

I never even try to get more than 4 shaves per blade, I change blades after the 4th shave whether it needs it or not.

Life is short, I'm all about making sure my shaves are comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by nelamvr6 View Post
    I never even try to get more than 4 shaves per blade, I change blades after the 4th shave whether it needs it or not.

Life is short, I'm all about making sure my shaves are comfortable.
    I find the shaves get more comfortable after the fourth shave on most of my blades, excluding the Shark ones..
    Cheers,
    Renato

I don't understand why others get such few shaves out of their razors. Are you perhaps doing four passes per shave?
    I generally do 2-3 passes and mostly get away with shaving every other day.
    The reason I ditch blades after 3 or 4 shaves is comfort. As I mentioned, by the third shave I can feel those micro-nicks in the blade lightly scratching my skin. It's not awful, but it doesn't give me that really pleasant experience a new blade does.

Basenotes Plus

I find the shaves get more comfortable after the fourth shave on most of my blades, excluding the Shark ones..
    Cheers,
    Renato
    I have noticed that my shaves peak with the 3rd and 4th with the blades that I favor, they go down hill after that. My faves, the Gillette Nacets, GSB, Polsilvers, and Voskhods all seem to behave that way with me. As with all things wet shaving, of course YMMV...

Clinique Face Wash
    Clinique Shave Gel (for wet shave).
    Phillips RQ1280 with RQ-12 head.
    Clinique Post-Shave Soother
    Currently wearing: Amber Oud by Trussardi

I generally do 2-3 passes and mostly get away with shaving every other day.
    The reason I ditch blades after 3 or 4 shaves is comfort. As I mentioned, by the third shave I can feel those micro-nicks in the blade lightly scratching my skin. It's not awful, but it doesn't give me that really pleasant experience a new blade does.
    Thanks for that. I measure the amount of micro-nicks by roughly counting the number of stings I get from using Alum after shaving, with ammonium Alum stinging more than potassium Alum.

As the blade loses some of it's sharpness from usage, I find that micro nicks drop off quite dramatically.

You plainly like something in using a new blade (the same something that I don't like - probably the feel from ultra-sharpness), but I don't think it is micro-nicks which is the factor that makes you ditch a blade after a few uses. I couldn't handle doing three passes with a new blade.

Regards,
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 30th July 2017 at 02:09 AM.

You plainly like something in using a new blade (the same something that I don't like - probably the feel from ultra-sharpness), but I don't think it is micro-nicks which is the factor that makes you ditch a blade after a few uses. I couldn't handle doing three passes with a new blade.

Regards,
    Renato
    To be clear, I'm referring to the micro-nicks that form along the edge of the blade, not small nicks to my skin.
    With each shave, the blade edge becomes more and more damaged, and it's those microscopic crenellations (for want of a better word) that develop that I find uncomfortable.
    For me, a brand new, undamaged blade cuts through whiskers most easily and with the least amount of dragging and tugging. The glide is most effortless and that's how I define comfort.
    Of course, no right or wrong here, and it is really fascinating to read such a wide range of experiences.
    Happy shaving!

Thanks. I remember reading that the Erasmic stick had gone from tallow to vegetable oil, and that it was now rubbish.
    But my Erasmic stick is vegetable, and I like it.
    Cheers,
    Renato
    I'm sure I have seen these with tallow recently. Let me know if interested and I will see if I can buy and provide picks if necessary. At 1 each, it's not the most expensive shaving kit available.

Basenotes Junkie

I started DE shaving about 3 months ago - I'm at home a fair bit, so I shave twice per week.

Razor : Merkur 34c

Blades : Feather, Astra, Derby, Shark - I bought a blade starter pack and am still experimenting to see which I like. Feathers and Astras are nice.

Pre Shave Oil : Somersets

Soap : Proraso Green

Cream : TOBS Sandalwood (nice), Lush Prince (straight onto face, no lathering, also nice), Body Shop Maca Root (meh)

Brush : Semogue 2015HD Silvertip, Omega 10098 Boar, Razorock Pilssoft synthetic

Bowl - cheapie ceramic from the supermarket

After Shave Splash - Insense, Z-14, Imperial Leather, Brut, Chanel For Men, Malizia Vetyver

Moisturiser / Balm : various Every Man Jack, Nivea 0% alcochol, Michael Klim milk, and a few others.

I also exfoliate my face before shaving, and I always shave in the shower (water off when it's not needed).

To be clear, I'm referring to the micro-nicks that form along the edge of the blade, not small nicks to my skin.
    With each shave, the blade edge becomes more and more damaged, and it's those microscopic crenellations (for want of a better word) that develop that I find uncomfortable.
    For me, a brand new, undamaged blade cuts through whiskers most easily and with the least amount of dragging and tugging. The glide is most effortless and that's how I define comfort.
    Of course, no right or wrong here, and it is really fascinating to read such a wide range of experiences.
    Happy shaving!
    Thanks for the explanation about the micro-nicks.
    I guess I must like that type of micro-nick on the blade, because I know they must be there.
    Cheers,
    Renato

- - - Updated - - -

I'm sure I have seen these with tallow recently. Let me know if interested and I will see if I can buy and provide picks if necessary. At 1 each, it's not the most expensive shaving kit available.
    Thanks for that. But it would only be idle curiosity for me. When I first read about the wonders of tallow in shave soap and sticks seven years ago, they sounded marvellous. As I only had vegetable soaps and creams, I ordered half a dozen different brands. The end result was that, unlike the tallow fans, I wasn't that impressed with what arrived. The only one I didn't mind was the Arko stick. Since then, I've mainly stuck to vegetable soaps, and only occasionally use the tallow ones to see if anything has changed.
    Regards,
    Renato

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Paul P View Post
    I started DE shaving about 3 months ago - I'm at home a fair bit, so I shave twice per week.

Razor : Merkur 34c

Blades : Feather, Astra, Derby, Shark - I bought a blade starter pack and am still experimenting to see which I like. Feathers and Astras are nice.

Pre Shave Oil : Somersets

Soap : Proraso Green

Cream : TOBS Sandalwood (nice), Lush Prince (straight onto face, no lathering, also nice), Body Shop Maca Root (meh)

Brush : Semogue 2015HD Silvertip, Omega 10098 Boar, Razorock Pilssoft synthetic

Bowl - cheapie ceramic from the supermarket

After Shave Splash - Insense, Z-14, Imperial Leather, Brut, Chanel For Men, Malizia Vetyver

Moisturiser / Balm : various Every Man Jack, Nivea 0% alcochol, Michael Klim milk, and a few others.

I also exfoliate my face before shaving, and I always shave in the shower (water off when it's not needed).
    I've seen Somersets shaving oil (and have a thread on it and other shaving oils here) but haven't come across Somersets Pre-Shave oil. Where did you find it please?

Interesting your reaction to Body Shop Macca Root shave cream. I wasn't that impressed with it either when I was DE shaving, though others at Badger& Blade were, and one of my work colleagues swore by it with Mach 3. I did start using it again when I went back to cartridge razors, and thought a bit better of it.

You are much braver than me with shower shaving. I just can't imagine doing it - ever.
    Regards,
    Renato

Basenotes Junkie

I've seen Somersets shaving oil (and have a thread on it and other shaving oils here) but haven't come across Somersets Pre-Shave oil. Where did you find it please?

Interesting your reaction to Body Shop Macca Root shave cream. I wasn't that impressed with it either when I was DE shaving, though others at Badger& Blade were, and one of my work colleagues swore by it with Mach 3. I did start using it again when I went back to cartridge razors, and thought a bit better of it.

You are much braver than me with shower shaving. I just can't imagine doing it - ever.
    Regards,
    Renato
    Renato, sorry I should have been clearer. The Somersets I use is the actual shaving oil, the Maximum Glide Extra Sensitive. Somersets don't make pre shave oil. I apply the Somersets and then on top of this I use whatever the soap / cream of the day happens to be. Because I don't shave too often, I tend to have a 3 or 4 day growth. I find this combination of oil + cream works best.

Shaving in the shower is ok once you get used to it. I've been doing it for years.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul P View Post
    Renato, sorry I should have been clearer. The Somersets I use is the actual shaving oil, the Maximum Glide Extra Sensitive. Somersets don't make pre shave oil. I apply the Somersets and then on top of this I use whatever the soap / cream of the day happens to be. Because I don't shave too often, I tend to have a 3 or 4 day growth. I find this combination of oil + cream works best.

Shaving in the shower is ok once you get used to it. I've been doing it for years.
    Thanks for the explanation Paul.
    I suspect you won't get too many nicks from this combination.
    While I dislike using shaving oils like Somersets and Oscar because of the way they feel, the amount of nicks from them is zero and the amount of micro-nicks (as measured by applying Alum) is pretty near zero too. I guess that applying your soap or cream on top of the oil, gives a better shaving feel than without them.
    Regards,
    Renato

Personal setup so far mostly unchanged, except having added Gillette Fusion Proshield cartridges instead of regular Fusion/Proglide ones to the Proglide Flexball razor

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Personal setup so far mostly unchanged, except having added Gillette Fusion Proshield cartridges instead of regular Fusion/Proglide ones to the Proglide Flexball razor
    What's the difference between Proglide and Proshield on your skin. please?
    I've now picked up four Pro-Glide razors going dirt cheap, I guess because Proshield came along.
    Regards,
    Renato

What's the difference between Proglide and Proshield on your skin. please?
    I've now picked up four Pro-Glide razors going dirt cheap, I guess because Proshield came along.
    Regards,
    Renato
    With apologies for the belated reply, no major difference at all in the shaving performance, but therefore close and thorough in the case of both, while Proshield feels a tad smoother on my skin with approximately the same performance (even if this may just be a placebo effect induced by their publicity/branding).

But cannot tell yet if they will last as long as the tremendous longevity of full-scale performance ensured by Fusion or the regular Proglide - having only started to use Proshield for a bit more than a week.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    With apologies for the belated reply, no major difference at all in the shaving performance, but therefore close and thorough in the case of both, while Proshield feels a tad smoother on my skin with approximately the same performance (even if this may just be a placebo effect induced by their publicity/branding).

But cannot tell yet if they will last as long as the tremendous longevity of full-scale performance ensured by Fusion or the regular Proglide - having only started to use Proshield for a bit more than a week.
    Thanks. It may be a placebo effect - or it may be real.
    I just bought a packet of German-made 3-blade cartridges, which are meant to last a month each. And on first use I was quite surprised at how few Alum stings I got from it compared to first use of every other cartridge razor. Whether it means they are just blunter to start off with and won't last as long as advertised, or whether there is a new innovation there, remains to be seen.
    Cheers,
    Renato

Merkur Futur with Feather blades + Gillette Fusion - I use both, one after the other, mainly because I keep cutting a mole with the Futur.
    Nuage Menthol Oil pre shave
    Pankhurst Shave Cream with Crabtree and Evelyn badger brush
    Osma Alum block if it all goes wrong
    Trumper or C&T West Indian Lime balm
    Currently wearing: Cedrat Boise by Mancera

Quote Originally Posted by toasty View Post
    Merkur Futur with Feather blades + Gillette Fusion - I use both, one after the other, mainly because I keep cutting a mole with the Futur.
    Nice set up.

If I may suggest something, you could make a thinner lather and try not to cover the mole too much to avoid cutting it. If it happens often, you run the risk of getting an infection. Also maybe try adjusting your razor's setting to get a less aggressive angle.

Thumbs up Re: Whats Your Shaving Set Up Consist Of

The best ,Wilkinson Sword Hydro 5 Power Select, IMHO

Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes
    Currently wearing: Knize Ten by Knize