Code of Conduct
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 121 to 150 of 151
o
  1. #121

    Default Re: Whats Your Shaving Set Up Consist Of



    CELLA -shaving cream
    MUHLE- blade and razors
    GOLD DACHS - brush
    KIOTIS - after shave balm

  2. #122
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    263

    Default Re: Whats Your Shaving Set Up Consist Of

    New addition to the rotation. I have to get it cleaned up and honed but ought to be an experience to say the least!


    Wade and Butcher 7/8" The Celebrated Hollow Ground Razor. I've always wanted one of these big choppers!.

  3. #123

    Default Re: Whats Your Shaving Set Up Consist Of

    I have now started using Feather blades, these are some sharp blades and need to be carefully handled, but the results are impressive.
    Currently wearing: Jasmine by Floris

  4. #124
    Dependent saminlondon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Paris
    Posts
    2,647

    Default Re: Whats Your Shaving Set Up Consist Of

    Potential DE noob here, weighing up the pros and cons of buying a first set-up.

    I have a beard so I just need to concentrate on shaving round the edges and tidying up, and since I have no idea what to expect I'd like to keep initial outlay modest, just in case I hate the experience/ cut myself too much/ don't have time or decide it's too much faff. So please, gentleman, feel free to critique my ideas below.

    - Edwin Jagger DE89 - knurled or 3D diamond handle
    - Astra SP blades
    - A couple of creams to try out (the water is really hard here): maybe Proraso red, ToOBS Sandalwood or Almond, or perhaps even just a classic Palmolive stick
    - Small bowl from supermarket (if necessary)
    - A good but cheapish brush (suggestions welcome!)
    - My usual moisturiser (Clinique)

    How does that sound? I don't want to go overboard, as i say, just in case I decide it doesn't suit me or my routine, but I'd be delighted to ditch the plastic multiblades if I can.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Update:

    I found this good-looking deal that included most of the above - £35 only!
    https://shavelounge.co.uk/product/de...it-sandalwood/

    So I guess I'm all set.

    Gulp. Wish me luck.

  5. #125
    Moderator
    rum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    UK / Île de chypre
    Posts
    13,536

    Default Re: Whats Your Shaving Set Up Consist Of

    Saminlondon, chin up, persevere and make sure you apply a light touch to the razor whilst shaving. Your skin will thank you later.

  6. #126
    Super Member Maxtesti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    249

    Default Re: Whats Your Shaving Set Up Consist Of

    Braun 9 ES
    Mach 3
    Nivea Deep Shaving Gel
    L'occitane Cedrat After-Shave

    This is my beginner safety razor starter kit. I've never, ever used one before so didn't want to spend too much in case I didn't like it. Looking forward to trying the brush and the razor.

    fb5RpZx.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Maxtesti; 29th May 2019 at 07:04 PM.

  7. #127

    Default Re: Whats Your Shaving Set Up Consist Of

    Quote Originally Posted by saminlondon View Post
    Potential DE noob here, weighing up the pros and cons of buying a first set-up.

    I have a beard so I just need to concentrate on shaving round the edges and tidying up, and since I have no idea what to expect I'd like to keep initial outlay modest, just in case I hate the experience/ cut myself too much/ don't have time or decide it's too much faff. So please, gentleman, feel free to critique my ideas below.

    - Edwin Jagger DE89 - knurled or 3D diamond handle
    - Astra SP blades
    - A couple of creams to try out (the water is really hard here): maybe Proraso red, ToOBS Sandalwood or Almond, or perhaps even just a classic Palmolive stick
    - Small bowl from supermarket (if necessary)
    - A good but cheapish brush (suggestions welcome!)
    - My usual moisturiser (Clinique)

    How does that sound? I don't want to go overboard, as i say, just in case I decide it doesn't suit me or my routine, but I'd be delighted to ditch the plastic multiblades if I can.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Update:

    I found this good-looking deal that included most of the above - £35 only!
    https://shavelounge.co.uk/product/de...it-sandalwood/

    So I guess I'm all set.

    Gulp. Wish me luck.
    +1 on the light touch, the sharper the blade the lighter the touch. Also, using a Tallow shaving soap makes quite a difference.

    Here is a link to a review of different safety razor blades, you might want to check out.

    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jE9p-mZ8qm8
    Currently wearing: Jasmine by Floris

  8. #128
    Dependent saminlondon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Paris
    Posts
    2,647

    Default Re: Whats Your Shaving Set Up Consist Of

    Thanks all. I finally went with the set listed above - amazingly good value. I'm going to stick with that as long as possible (trying to narrow down the variables), and if I'm sold I'll maybe start to look to improve on the brush/soap. The kit contains a blade sampler, and the Astra SPs look a good place to start.

  9. #129
    Dependent
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Cymru
    Posts
    1,285

    Default Re: Whats Your Shaving Set Up Consist Of

    Quote Originally Posted by nikonNUT View Post
    New addition to the rotation. I have to get it cleaned up and honed but ought to be an experience to say the least!


    Wade and Butcher 7/8" The Celebrated Hollow Ground Razor. I've always wanted one of these big choppers!.
    This looks a belter and should polish up exceptionally well. Congrats on this!

  10. #130

    Default Re: Whats Your Shaving Set Up Consist Of

    Most days, Muhle R89 Grande w/ Astra or Wilkinson Sword blade, Razorock Barber Plissoft brush, Pre de Province No. 63 soap or Art of Shaving Sandalwood cream.

    And one of about 50 aftershaves, including vintage Avon.
    Currently wearing: Halston Z-14 by Halston

  11. #131

    Default Re: Whats Your Shaving Set Up Consist Of

    Quote Originally Posted by saminlondon View Post
    Thanks all. I finally went with the set listed above - amazingly good value. I'm going to stick with that as long as possible (trying to narrow down the variables), and if I'm sold I'll maybe start to look to improve on the brush/soap. The kit contains a blade sampler, and the Astra SPs look a good place to start.
    Nice set up! for DE blades try the Gillette Silver Blues, they're the right balance of sharpness and smoothness. For shaving soaps the best I've tried is Eufros from Spain, think Sultan Pasha of the shaving world. For a starter brush, I'd recommend the Berkley 46 from Simpsons. Good luck!

  12. #132
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    263

    Default Re: Whats Your Shaving Set Up Consist Of

    Quote Originally Posted by Benz3ne View Post
    This looks a belter and should polish up exceptionally well. Congrats on this!
    Thank you very much! It even has the leather coffin case. It's a bit tatty but being that it (and the razor) are somewhere between 150 and 170 years old (guessing) I think they deserve a pass?

    Glad to see some converts to DE shaving. Go slow, enjoy the experience, and ya'll will be just fine! Oh, and PM me if you have any questions! Always happy to help!

  13. #133
    Super Member Maxtesti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    249

    Default Re: Whats Your Shaving Set Up Consist Of

    Okay, I got my starter kit today. The shaving soap came as a bar of soap so I may have to get some container to use it or something. The razor came with Feather blades but I went with the Personna's to start since they're less sharp.

    My first shave was terrible, uncomfortable, and painful. It didn't feel "safe" to use it. I got a few little nicks on the part of the neck under the chin. I could not get a close shave even after three passes and then I stopped because my face was on fire.

    This is the opposite of what I was expecting. It's so much easier with the Mach3. Perhaps I'm not getting the angle correct or was going too fast. This is going to take some time to get used to, if ever. I'm going to watch some YT videos for technics and give it a few more tries. I'm not impressed with it so far at all.

  14. #134

    Default Re: Whats Your Shaving Set Up Consist Of

    Quote Originally Posted by Maxtesti View Post
    Okay, I got my starter kit today. The shaving soap came as a bar of soap so I may have to get some container to use it or something. The razor came with Feather blades but I went with the Personna's to start since they're less sharp.

    My first shave was terrible, uncomfortable, and painful. It didn't feel "safe" to use it. I got a few little nicks on the part of the neck under the chin. I could not get a close shave even after three passes and then I stopped because my face was on fire.

    This is the opposite of what I was expecting. It's so much easier with the Mach3. Perhaps I'm not getting the angle correct or was going too fast. This is going to take some time to get used to, if ever. I'm going to watch some YT videos for technics and give it a few more tries. I'm not impressed with it so far at all.
    When using a DE, find the right angle, take your time and use a light touch. Short strokes will give you better control and less chance of nicking yourself. Make sure you have a decent shaving cream or soap and brush to create a thick lather which will provide plenty of cushion.

  15. #135
    Basenotes Junkie
    Funwithfrags's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Bury, UK
    Posts
    578

    Default Re: Whats Your Shaving Set Up Consist Of

    Quote Originally Posted by mixerscent View Post
    When using a DE, find the right angle, take your time and use a light touch. Short strokes will give you better control and less chance of nicking yourself. Make sure you have a decent shaving cream or soap and brush to create a thick lather which will provide plenty of cushion.
    This is the best advice. The lather has to be thick. You've paid £4 for that shaving soap - I would recommend something like the Bluebeard's Revenge shaving cream. Make sure your face is wet and that the beard has been softened (at this stage I apply an oil as a layer under the cream). Give yourself every chance. There is a definite learning curve but with patience you should get it. Oh, and trying washing the blade after every few strokes, so you are presenting the best edge to your face.
    Currently wearing: He Wood by Dsquared2

  16. #136
    Super Member Maxtesti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    249

    Default Re: Whats Your Shaving Set Up Consist Of

    Shaving with an electric razor or a Mach3 is rather different than using a DE. I find that I need to be more mindful of what I'm doing and remind myself that I'm stroking my face with a sharp blade. There's a certain level of skill and work in finding the right balance. Shaving with a Mach3 is a quick and mindless process.

    I swapped the blade with the Feather's. It says on the razor case that it must not be used with other types of blades. Using the brush and soap was nice. I managed to get a close shave by applying light short strokes, but at the end, my face was on fire. I never felt or had this kind of irritation on my face before. Also, I have a couple of very little skin tags and the blade easily nicks them. I think I might ditch this razor and try the Merkur Futur which is adjustable.

    I'm afraid this DE shaving is not for me. It took ages to get a shave and is painful. So far the Mach3 wins hands down.
    Last edited by Maxtesti; 2nd June 2019 at 02:35 PM.

  17. #137

    Default Re: Whats Your Shaving Set Up Consist Of

    The Merkur Futur is an excellent DE. While it's adjustable, it's also heavy for a DE. When you use this, apply no pressure and let the weight of the Futur do all the work. I wouldn't recommend this razor for a beginner because of the weight. Feather DE blades are extremely sharp, i have found they work well with the Feather AS-D2 DE which is a mild razor. Personna DE blades tend to be on the sharp side as well.

    If you want a mild razor, I would recommend a Feather AS-D2 if it's in your budget or the Muhle R89 which is also an excellent razor. Do not get the R41 which is extremely aggressive. For blades, look at Gillette Silver Blues, or maybe Astra Greens which are a little more mild. There are some shaving forums like damnfineshave, atgshaving and shavenook. Keep at it!

  18. #138
    Dependent
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Cymru
    Posts
    1,285

    Default Re: Whats Your Shaving Set Up Consist Of

    Quote Originally Posted by Maxtesti View Post
    Shaving with an electric razor or a Mach3 is rather different than using a DE. I find that I need to be more mindful of what I'm doing and remind myself that I'm stroking my face with a sharp blade. There's a certain level of skill and work in finding the right balance. Shaving with a Mach3 is a quick and mindless process.

    I swapped the blade with the Feather's. It says on the razor case that it must not be used with other types of blades. Using the brush and soap was nice. I managed to get a close shave by applying light short strokes, but at the end, my face was on fire. I never felt or had this kind of irritation on my face before. Also, I have a couple of very little skin tags and the blade easily nicks them. I think I might ditch this razor and try the Merkur Futur which is adjustable.

    I'm afraid this DE shaving is not for me. It took ages to get a shave and is painful. So far the Mach3 wins hands down.
    Agreed, there's a certain learning curve. Look to map the direction of growth, typically start with cheeks and tidy up with whatever you're comfortable with and increase from there. The little pressure aspect is perhaps the most important and most difficult to adjust to.
    The Feather razor you've bought is touted as a decent one, and a light touch should be used. I agree with the above that the DE89 would be a good alternative, and that the Merkur Futur, although a great razor, would be a tad heavy and cumbersome in places.
    I'd also include Gillette Nacet blades and Personna Lab Blue blades as two excellent options, they're tied for top space with me currently (though I'm enjoying Gillette Rubies in my Muhle Rocca as it stands)!
    Edit: look at YouTube videos re: creating lather. The soap you have there is an excellent one, but you'll be surprised how 'thirsty' they are - the suggestion above about using a cream instead might suit, but the soap you have is very highly regarded.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Funwithfrags View Post
    This is the best advice. The lather has to be thick. You've paid £4 for that shaving soap - I would recommend something like the Bluebeard's Revenge shaving cream. Make sure your face is wet and that the beard has been softened (at this stage I apply an oil as a layer under the cream). Give yourself every chance. There is a definite learning curve but with patience you should get it. Oh, and trying washing the blade after every few strokes, so you are presenting the best edge to your face.
    Bluebeards revenge products are typical of the creams on the shelves these days - often no difference between them and 'Real Shaving Co', Bulldog etc. Often quite glycerin-rich which doesn't suit everyone.
    Despite the soap being £4, it's an exceptional performer. It's a smaller 'cake' of soap than typical, but a great foray into wet shaving.
    Lastly, despite the recommendation of thick lather being a good one, it also has to be slick. Thick and dry lather doesn't help shaving; it should be glossy with a notable sheen, hold it's shape and not dry out for several minutes at least.

  19. #139
    Basenotes Junkie
    Funwithfrags's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Bury, UK
    Posts
    578

    Default Re: Whats Your Shaving Set Up Consist Of

    If anyone can suggest a good quality badger brush, please do. I have an Edwin Jagger but it's starting to lose a lot of bristles. I would like something that lasts.
    Currently wearing: He Wood by Dsquared2

  20. #140
    Dependent

    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Jersey Shore
    Posts
    1,552

    Default Re: Whats Your Shaving Set Up Consist Of

    Quote Originally Posted by Funwithfrags View Post
    If anyone can suggest a good quality badger brush, please do. I have an Edwin Jagger but it's starting to lose a lot of bristles. I would like something that lasts.
    Seeing as you're a Brit, check out --> Simpson's selections. Depending on your budget you should find something there. Also go check out the Badger & Blade forum. Lots of ideas there.

  21. #141
    Moderator
    rum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    UK / Île de chypre
    Posts
    13,536

    Default Re: Whats Your Shaving Set Up Consist Of

    Quote Originally Posted by Funwithfrags View Post
    If anyone can suggest a good quality badger brush, please do. I have an Edwin Jagger but it's starting to lose a lot of bristles. I would like something that lasts.
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaFrank75 View Post
    Seeing as you're a Brit, check out --> Simpson's selections. Depending on your budget you should find something there. Also go check out the Badger & Blade forum. Lots of ideas there.
    Whilst looking for a half-decent travel brush earlier this year, Simpsons were recommended to me. I managed to grab a Duke D1 on Amazon (also sold by Amazon) at a huge discount as they had some sort of promotion on at the time.

    All I can say is I wholeheartedly recommend them as a brand but also do look around as there are bargains to be had - I have no idea if Amazon do these promotions recently but it can't hurt to add what you want to a wishlist and keep watching the price. They perform very well. All in all, I would easily pick a Simpsons brush as my regular one if I didn't already own another.

  22. #142
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Huntington, NY
    Posts
    424

    Default Re: Whats Your Shaving Set Up Consist Of

    IMG_4628.jpg

    Merkur DE (I don't remember the model)
    Utopia shavette
    Art of Shaving badger brush
    Cremo original shave cream

    When I'm not rushed, I'll use the shavette. If I'm short for time, I'll use the Merkur.
    Currently wearing: Jaïpur Homme by Boucheron

  23. #143
    Basenotes Junkie
    Funwithfrags's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Bury, UK
    Posts
    578

    Default Re: Whats Your Shaving Set Up Consist Of

    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaFrank75 View Post
    Seeing as you're a Brit, check out --> Simpson's selections. Depending on your budget you should find something there. Also go check out the Badger & Blade forum. Lots of ideas there.
    Thanks, that looks like a handy tip.
    Currently wearing: He Wood by Dsquared2

  24. #144

    Default Re: Whats Your Shaving Set Up Consist Of

    Quote Originally Posted by Funwithfrags View Post
    If anyone can suggest a good quality badger brush, please do. I have an Edwin Jagger but it's starting to lose a lot of bristles. I would like something that lasts.
    The Semogue 730HD is one I own and have been very satisfied with, Silvertip Badger

    semogue-730hd-silvertip-shaving-brush.jpg
    "The prettier the rose the fouler the manure"

  25. #145

    Default Re: Whats Your Shaving Set Up Consist Of

    Hi all,

    It's been months & months since I've posted here a Basenotes. Around nine months ago, I started collecting vintage Razors and joined several (Wet) Shaving sites.
    I have collected/acquired nearly two hundred Razors (mostly found in the Wild) since the end of March 2019 and I recently purchased one NEW Razor (a Merkur C37 SLANT). I enjoy shaving with many of my Gillette Razors as well as a few of my early Ever-Ready/GEM's. Among my favorite Razors are my Gillette Single Ring, ABC Handle Old Type, FATBOY, 1937 Sheraton, BIG BOY and especially my 1941 Ranger Tech. Oooh, and my (rather rare) BARBASOL Floating Head Razor which I refer to as "EXCALIBUR !"
    I still have a BUNCH of Razors I've yet to try but plan on using soon such as RED TIP, Super Speeds (from 40-60's) Aristocrat Junior, Slim Adjustable, Gillette Tech, Bar handle Tech, Gold Diplomat, Gillette New, New Improved, Deluxe, WW 1 Khaki Kit, etc.

    SixCats!

    Not sure how to ad photographs.......sorry.

  26. #146

    Default Re: Whats Your Shaving Set Up Consist Of

    Wow, a lot of wetshavers on here. My setup is ususally:

    Razor - Ralf Aust 5/8" straight razor
    Brush - I use synthetics only now, usually go with 24mm
    Soap - rotation of Barrister & Mann, Wholly Kaw, Declaration Grooming and a few others
    Aftershave - usually matching aftershave with whatever soap I am using
    Currently wearing: London by Roja Dove

  27. #147
    Dependent Danny Mitchell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    5,084

    Default Re: Whats Your Shaving Set Up Consist Of

    I got my son a Van Der Hagan shaving set, with the metal handled blade, brush, shave soap, and balm. He was talking about it the metal handle a few days ago. The box says the handle is made in China but the actual blades are made in Germany, so hopefully the quality is ok.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."
    Currently wearing: Patchouli by Murdock

  28. #148

    Default Re: Whats Your Shaving Set Up Consist Of

    Long time DE shaver here. My daily driver is a BBS-1 Razor and I travel with a Rockwell 6C. I use PolSilver blades. A shelf full of shaving creams, artisan soaps and aftershaves. I whip up lather with a lovely Morris and Forndren brush at home and a Yaqi synthetic on the road. I will take a Gillette Sensor when I fly as I only carry on, and the TSA frowns on DE blades (I was "busted" just yesterday for this in fact). I find the process of traditional shaving very rewarding and the closeness of the shave is unbeatable.

  29. #149
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Dubai
    Posts
    373

    Default Re: Whats Your Shaving Set Up Consist Of

    I got into perfumes bcs of a shaving passion. Currently in rotation...
    8/8 koraat full hollow grind
    5/8 ralf aust round tip
    7/8 restored ERN silberstehl
    Merkur barberpole
    Merkur future

    Supported by bunch if soaps snd creams

    Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    1. Sandalo by Lorenzo Villoresi
    2. Eau D'Hederin by Annick Goutal
    3. Neroli Portofino by Tom ford
    4. Gris Clair by Serge Lutens
    5. L'Ombre Dans L'Eau by Diptyque
    6. Colonia by Acqua di Parma
    7. Scandal by Roja
    8. Sublime Vanille by Creed
    9. Moon Safari by Memo
    10. Pour Homme by Paco Robanne

  30. #150
    Sound Scents
    drseid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Northern VA/DC Area
    Posts
    11,715

    Default Re: Whats Your Shaving Set Up Consist Of

    Razor: OneBlade Genesis V2
    Blades: Feather FHS
    Pre-shave: Lemon & Chamomile by The Grooming Dept.
    Brush: Manchurian Badger Hair 26mm V2 brush by Saponificio Varesino
    Shave Soap: (various, but almost exclusively SV made) - most frequent is Colonia by Asylum Shave Works (created by Saponificio Varesino)
    Aftershave: various, but most frequently used is Colonia by Asylum Shave Works (created by Saponificio Varesino)
    Current Top Ten:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills) - tie
    2) Giorgio V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills) - tie
    4) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    5) Jasmin Antique (Rogue)
    6)
    Anat Fritz and its reissue, called Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    8) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    8) Polo vintage (Ralph Lauren) - tie

    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren




Similar Threads

  1. whats the ideal Sillage for men and whats yours?
    By lenovoisgood in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 26th April 2014, 01:13 AM
  2. The movie Alfie....what would his cologne rotation consist of....?
    By fkc_nner in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 27th November 2010, 09:18 PM
  3. Whats your favorite geometric shape for bottles? Whats your perfect bottle?
    By DerangedGoose in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 59
    Last Post: 11th October 2010, 02:12 AM
  4. Best shaving gel (men)
    By MDesigner in forum Men's Grooming
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 28th January 2006, 11:44 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000