Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Default Re: Whats Your Shaving Set Up Consist Of

CELLA -shaving cream
    MUHLE- blade and razors
    GOLD DACHS - brush
    KIOTIS - after shave balm

Basenotes Plus

New addition to the rotation. I have to get it cleaned up and honed but ought to be an experience to say the least!

Wade and Butcher 7/8" The Celebrated Hollow Ground Razor. I've always wanted one of these big choppers!.

Dependent

No need to be that fancy, I shave myself in the shower, with Gillette Fusion and use the same hair shampoo to lather my face, I have been doing these for years and works great plus it saves time as well.
    After that I use Cetaphil moisturizer cream on my face.

fusion-razor-1-gillette-original-imaf3ky2mzqztehk.jpeg
    Last edited by techt; 30th May 2019 at 11:43 AM.

I have now started using Feather blades, these are some sharp blades and need to be carefully handled, but the results are impressive.

Potential DE noob here, weighing up the pros and cons of buying a first set-up.

I have a beard so I just need to concentrate on shaving round the edges and tidying up, and since I have no idea what to expect I'd like to keep initial outlay modest, just in case I hate the experience/ cut myself too much/ don't have time or decide it's too much faff. So please, gentleman, feel free to critique my ideas below.

- Edwin Jagger DE89 - knurled or 3D diamond handle
    - Astra SP blades
    - A couple of creams to try out (the water is really hard here): maybe Proraso red, ToOBS Sandalwood or Almond, or perhaps even just a classic Palmolive stick
    - Small bowl from supermarket (if necessary)
    - A good but cheapish brush (suggestions welcome!)
    - My usual moisturiser (Clinique)

How does that sound? I don't want to go overboard, as i say, just in case I decide it doesn't suit me or my routine, but I'd be delighted to ditch the plastic multiblades if I can.

- - - Updated - - -

Update:

I found this good-looking deal that included most of the above - £35 only!
    https://shavelounge.co.uk/product/de...it-sandalwood/

So I guess I'm all set.

Gulp. Wish me luck.

Saminlondon, chin up, persevere and make sure you apply a light touch to the razor whilst shaving. Your skin will thank you later.

Braun 9 ES
    Mach 3
    Nivea Deep Shaving Gel
    L'occitane Cedrat After-Shave

This is my beginner safety razor starter kit. I've never, ever used one before so didn't want to spend too much in case I didn't like it. Looking forward to trying the brush and the razor.

fb5RpZx.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Maxtesti; 29th May 2019 at 08:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by saminlondon View Post
    Potential DE noob here, weighing up the pros and cons of buying a first set-up.

I have a beard so I just need to concentrate on shaving round the edges and tidying up, and since I have no idea what to expect I'd like to keep initial outlay modest, just in case I hate the experience/ cut myself too much/ don't have time or decide it's too much faff. So please, gentleman, feel free to critique my ideas below.

- Edwin Jagger DE89 - knurled or 3D diamond handle
    - Astra SP blades
    - A couple of creams to try out (the water is really hard here): maybe Proraso red, ToOBS Sandalwood or Almond, or perhaps even just a classic Palmolive stick
    - Small bowl from supermarket (if necessary)
    - A good but cheapish brush (suggestions welcome!)
    - My usual moisturiser (Clinique)

How does that sound? I don't want to go overboard, as i say, just in case I decide it doesn't suit me or my routine, but I'd be delighted to ditch the plastic multiblades if I can.

- - - Updated - - -

Update:

I found this good-looking deal that included most of the above - £35 only!
    https://shavelounge.co.uk/product/de...it-sandalwood/

So I guess I'm all set.

Gulp. Wish me luck.
    +1 on the light touch, the sharper the blade the lighter the touch. Also, using a Tallow shaving soap makes quite a difference.

Here is a link to a review of different safety razor blades, you might want to check out.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jE9p-mZ8qm8

Thanks all. I finally went with the set listed above - amazingly good value. I'm going to stick with that as long as possible (trying to narrow down the variables), and if I'm sold I'll maybe start to look to improve on the brush/soap. The kit contains a blade sampler, and the Astra SPs look a good place to start.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by nikonNUT View Post
    New addition to the rotation. I have to get it cleaned up and honed but ought to be an experience to say the least!

Wade and Butcher 7/8" The Celebrated Hollow Ground Razor. I've always wanted one of these big choppers!.
    This looks a belter and should polish up exceptionally well. Congrats on this!

Most days, Muhle R89 Grande w/ Astra or Wilkinson Sword blade, Razorock Barber Plissoft brush, Pre de Province No. 63 soap or Art of Shaving Sandalwood cream.

And one of about 50 aftershaves, including vintage Avon.
    Currently wearing: English Leather by Dana

Quote Originally Posted by saminlondon View Post
    Thanks all. I finally went with the set listed above - amazingly good value. I'm going to stick with that as long as possible (trying to narrow down the variables), and if I'm sold I'll maybe start to look to improve on the brush/soap. The kit contains a blade sampler, and the Astra SPs look a good place to start.
    Nice set up! for DE blades try the Gillette Silver Blues, they're the right balance of sharpness and smoothness. For shaving soaps the best I've tried is Eufros from Spain, think Sultan Pasha of the shaving world. For a starter brush, I'd recommend the Berkley 46 from Simpsons. Good luck!

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Benz3ne View Post
    This looks a belter and should polish up exceptionally well. Congrats on this!
    Thank you very much! It even has the leather coffin case. It's a bit tatty but being that it (and the razor) are somewhere between 150 and 170 years old (guessing) I think they deserve a pass?

Glad to see some converts to DE shaving. Go slow, enjoy the experience, and ya'll will be just fine! Oh, and PM me if you have any questions! Always happy to help!

Okay, I got my starter kit today. The shaving soap came as a bar of soap so I may have to get some container to use it or something. The razor came with Feather blades but I went with the Personna's to start since they're less sharp.

My first shave was terrible, uncomfortable, and painful. It didn't feel "safe" to use it. I got a few little nicks on the part of the neck under the chin. I could not get a close shave even after three passes and then I stopped because my face was on fire.

This is the opposite of what I was expecting. It's so much easier with the Mach3. Perhaps I'm not getting the angle correct or was going too fast. This is going to take some time to get used to, if ever. I'm going to watch some YT videos for technics and give it a few more tries. I'm not impressed with it so far at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxtesti View Post
    Okay, I got my starter kit today. The shaving soap came as a bar of soap so I may have to get some container to use it or something. The razor came with Feather blades but I went with the Personna's to start since they're less sharp.

My first shave was terrible, uncomfortable, and painful. It didn't feel "safe" to use it. I got a few little nicks on the part of the neck under the chin. I could not get a close shave even after three passes and then I stopped because my face was on fire.

This is the opposite of what I was expecting. It's so much easier with the Mach3. Perhaps I'm not getting the angle correct or was going too fast. This is going to take some time to get used to, if ever. I'm going to watch some YT videos for technics and give it a few more tries. I'm not impressed with it so far at all.
    When using a DE, find the right angle, take your time and use a light touch. Short strokes will give you better control and less chance of nicking yourself. Make sure you have a decent shaving cream or soap and brush to create a thick lather which will provide plenty of cushion.

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by mixerscent View Post
    When using a DE, find the right angle, take your time and use a light touch. Short strokes will give you better control and less chance of nicking yourself. Make sure you have a decent shaving cream or soap and brush to create a thick lather which will provide plenty of cushion.
    This is the best advice. The lather has to be thick. You've paid £4 for that shaving soap - I would recommend something like the Bluebeard's Revenge shaving cream. Make sure your face is wet and that the beard has been softened (at this stage I apply an oil as a layer under the cream). Give yourself every chance. There is a definite learning curve but with patience you should get it. Oh, and trying washing the blade after every few strokes, so you are presenting the best edge to your face.
    Currently wearing: Esencia Loewe by Loewe

Shaving with an electric razor or a Mach3 is rather different than using a DE. I find that I need to be more mindful of what I'm doing and remind myself that I'm stroking my face with a sharp blade. There's a certain level of skill and work in finding the right balance. Shaving with a Mach3 is a quick and mindless process.

I swapped the blade with the Feather's. It says on the razor case that it must not be used with other types of blades. Using the brush and soap was nice. I managed to get a close shave by applying light short strokes, but at the end, my face was on fire. I never felt or had this kind of irritation on my face before. Also, I have a couple of very little skin tags and the blade easily nicks them. I think I might ditch this razor and try the Merkur Futur which is adjustable.

I'm afraid this DE shaving is not for me. It took ages to get a shave and is painful. So far the Mach3 wins hands down.
    Last edited by Maxtesti; 2nd June 2019 at 03:35 PM.

The Merkur Futur is an excellent DE. While it's adjustable, it's also heavy for a DE. When you use this, apply no pressure and let the weight of the Futur do all the work. I wouldn't recommend this razor for a beginner because of the weight. Feather DE blades are extremely sharp, i have found they work well with the Feather AS-D2 DE which is a mild razor. Personna DE blades tend to be on the sharp side as well.

If you want a mild razor, I would recommend a Feather AS-D2 if it's in your budget or the Muhle R89 which is also an excellent razor. Do not get the R41 which is extremely aggressive. For blades, look at Gillette Silver Blues, or maybe Astra Greens which are a little more mild. There are some shaving forums like damnfineshave, atgshaving and shavenook. Keep at it!

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Maxtesti View Post
    Shaving with an electric razor or a Mach3 is rather different than using a DE. I find that I need to be more mindful of what I'm doing and remind myself that I'm stroking my face with a sharp blade. There's a certain level of skill and work in finding the right balance. Shaving with a Mach3 is a quick and mindless process.

I swapped the blade with the Feather's. It says on the razor case that it must not be used with other types of blades. Using the brush and soap was nice. I managed to get a close shave by applying light short strokes, but at the end, my face was on fire. I never felt or had this kind of irritation on my face before. Also, I have a couple of very little skin tags and the blade easily nicks them. I think I might ditch this razor and try the Merkur Futur which is adjustable.

I'm afraid this DE shaving is not for me. It took ages to get a shave and is painful. So far the Mach3 wins hands down.
    Agreed, there's a certain learning curve. Look to map the direction of growth, typically start with cheeks and tidy up with whatever you're comfortable with and increase from there. The little pressure aspect is perhaps the most important and most difficult to adjust to.
    The Feather razor you've bought is touted as a decent one, and a light touch should be used. I agree with the above that the DE89 would be a good alternative, and that the Merkur Futur, although a great razor, would be a tad heavy and cumbersome in places.
    I'd also include Gillette Nacet blades and Personna Lab Blue blades as two excellent options, they're tied for top space with me currently (though I'm enjoying Gillette Rubies in my Muhle Rocca as it stands)!
    Edit: look at YouTube videos re: creating lather. The soap you have there is an excellent one, but you'll be surprised how 'thirsty' they are - the suggestion above about using a cream instead might suit, but the soap you have is very highly regarded.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Funwithfrags View Post
    This is the best advice. The lather has to be thick. You've paid £4 for that shaving soap - I would recommend something like the Bluebeard's Revenge shaving cream. Make sure your face is wet and that the beard has been softened (at this stage I apply an oil as a layer under the cream). Give yourself every chance. There is a definite learning curve but with patience you should get it. Oh, and trying washing the blade after every few strokes, so you are presenting the best edge to your face.
    Bluebeards revenge products are typical of the creams on the shelves these days - often no difference between them and 'Real Shaving Co', Bulldog etc. Often quite glycerin-rich which doesn't suit everyone.
    Despite the soap being £4, it's an exceptional performer. It's a smaller 'cake' of soap than typical, but a great foray into wet shaving.
    Lastly, despite the recommendation of thick lather being a good one, it also has to be slick. Thick and dry lather doesn't help shaving; it should be glossy with a notable sheen, hold it's shape and not dry out for several minutes at least.

Basenotes Junkie

If anyone can suggest a good quality badger brush, please do. I have an Edwin Jagger but it's starting to lose a lot of bristles. I would like something that lasts.

Dependent

If anyone can suggest a good quality badger brush, please do. I have an Edwin Jagger but it's starting to lose a lot of bristles. I would like something that lasts.
    Seeing as you're a Brit, check out --> Simpson's selections. Depending on your budget you should find something there. Also go check out the Badger & Blade forum. Lots of ideas there.
    Currently wearing: Sartorial by Penhaligon's

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaFrank75 View Post
    Seeing as you're a Brit, check out --> Simpson's selections. Depending on your budget you should find something there. Also go check out the Badger & Blade forum. Lots of ideas there.
    Whilst looking for a half-decent travel brush earlier this year, Simpsons were recommended to me. I managed to grab a Duke D1 on Amazon (also sold by Amazon) at a huge discount as they had some sort of promotion on at the time.

All I can say is I wholeheartedly recommend them as a brand but also do look around as there are bargains to be had - I have no idea if Amazon do these promotions recently but it can't hurt to add what you want to a wishlist and keep watching the price. They perform very well. All in all, I would easily pick a Simpsons brush as my regular one if I didn't already own another.

IMG_4628.jpg

Merkur DE (I don't remember the model)
    Utopia shavette
    Art of Shaving badger brush
    Cremo original shave cream

When I'm not rushed, I'll use the shavette. If I'm short for time, I'll use the Merkur.

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaFrank75 View Post
    Thanks, that looks like a handy tip.

The Semogue 730HD is one I own and have been very satisfied with, Silvertip Badger

semogue-730hd-silvertip-shaving-brush.jpg
    "The prettier the rose the fouler the manure"
    Currently wearing: Gatsby by Pacoma

Hi all,

It's been months & months since I've posted here a Basenotes. Around nine months ago, I started collecting vintage Razors and joined several (Wet) Shaving sites.
    I have collected/acquired nearly two hundred Razors (mostly found in the Wild) since the end of March 2019 and I recently purchased one NEW Razor (a Merkur C37 SLANT). I enjoy shaving with many of my Gillette Razors as well as a few of my early Ever-Ready/GEM's. Among my favorite Razors are my Gillette Single Ring, ABC Handle Old Type, FATBOY, 1937 Sheraton, BIG BOY and especially my 1941 Ranger Tech. Oooh, and my (rather rare) BARBASOL Floating Head Razor which I refer to as "EXCALIBUR !"
    I still have a BUNCH of Razors I've yet to try but plan on using soon such as RED TIP, Super Speeds (from 40-60's) Aristocrat Junior, Slim Adjustable, Gillette Tech, Bar handle Tech, Gold Diplomat, Gillette New, New Improved, Deluxe, WW 1 Khaki Kit, etc.

SixCats!

Not sure how to ad photographs.......sorry.